Apple loses 'Amazing Stories' showrunner over creative differences

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
TV veteran Bryan Fuller has left his role as showrunner and executive producer for Apple's "Amazing Stories" reboot, reportedly over a split in the creative approaches the two sides wanted.

Fuller wanted the anthology to hew closer to Netflix's sinister "Black Mirror," but Apple had something else in mind, sources told The Hollywood Reporter. The departure was allegedly amicable.

Other executive producers on the show include Hart Hanson, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, and original "Amazing Stories" creator Steven Spielberg. With Fuller gone, Hanson is expected to take on a larger role.

It's unclear what Apple's "something else" was, but previous reports have indicated Apple wants its TV slate to stay relatively sanitized, absent of the sort of violence and sexuality seen on shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Mindhunter." The company even turned down a pitch by Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuaron, known for movies like "Y Tu Mama Tambien," "Gravity," and "Children of Men."

Fuller has had other recent high-profile clashes in the TV industry, finding himself fired from both "American Gods" and "Star Trek: Discovery" -- the first because of a budget dispute, the second for similar reasons as well as questions like casting.

Apple has a batch of high-budget shows en route for 2019, some others being a sci-fi show by "Battlestar Galactica" veteran Ronald Moore, and a sketch comedy show with Kristin Wiig. The company hasn't said how people will be able to watch them, but they are expected to air beyond the borders of Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    And this "sanitized" family-friendly requirement will prevent Apple from competing with Amazon, Netflix, HBO and even Disney as they ramp up their service.
    mdriftmeyersupadav03asdasdnapoleon_phoneapartjbdragonmac_dogwlymcornchipdysamoriabluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 34
    And this "sanitized" family-friendly requirement will prevent Apple from competing with Amazon, Netflix, HBO and even Disney as they ramp up their service.
    Most people like sanitized shows.
    Useless sex, gore & violence only goes so far.

edited February 2018 lkruppchristopher126lolliverjony0
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I am waiting.
    I want some of Apple’s shows to have some AirPods magic!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Again?  Didn't he leave Star Trek, American Gods and something else due to creative differences?  What's the deal, is this guy a jerk or something?
    lollivercornchipronn
  • Reply 5 of 34
    vince_jt said:
    Again?  Didn't he leave Star Trek, American Gods and something else due to creative differences?  What's the deal, is this guy a jerk or something?
    What's the point of being a showrunner if you aren't allowed to run the show?
    jbdragonSpamSandwichcornchipdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Good. Far too many "me too" dark SF shows these days!
    lollivergregg thurman
  • Reply 7 of 34

Even shows/networks that draw you in with a lot of sex in beginning - especially Showtime, and HBO (let’s leave GoT out for now) tone it down after the first season and focus on substance and story line. 
    lolliverbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 34
    God forbid we have TV shows without gratuitous sex and violence. Good grief.
    cornchipentropysmacxpress
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Don’t be ridiculous. There is a ton of fantastic programming that doesn’t require sex and violence.  Silicon Valley which IS on HBO doesn’t have either. Is Pixar all crap because they’re clean cut?  Think about it, if Apple wants to “broadcast” any of this material it has to be family friendly and your implication that some how PG material is all bad or not for adults is point blank wrong. 
    lollivergregg thurmancornchipentropysjony0
  • Reply 10 of 34
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Don’t be ridiculous. There is a ton of fantastic programming that doesn’t require sex and violence.  Silicon Valley which IS on HBO doesn’t have either. Is Pixar all crap because they’re clean cut?  Think about it, if Apple wants to “broadcast” any of this material it has to be family friendly and your implication that some how PG material is all bad or not for adults is point blank wrong. 
    Well, spliffy, Silicon Valley does have a lot of drug use and adult language.  I don't think Apple will have that, do you?
    SpamSandwichwlymcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 34
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    The original "Amazing Stories" from the mid 1980's, which is a franchise for all practical purposes, was family friendly. Parent's today that watched this series then, have an expectation of "family friendly" veiwing for their children and teens.

edited February 2018 lolliverentropyscharlesatlas
  • Reply 12 of 34
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    If Apple is going to live in an unrealistic G rated world with all its shows, it's going to fail.  I'm a adult, I'd like to watch more adult content.   There's already the Disney Channel. and Disney shows.  I'm not talking about going to the extremes on the other end with Nudity or GoT type violence.   If t his is a paid service, I'm sure not paying for G rated content.  I'll stick with Netflix for sure with a ton of content for everyone, young and old alike.     

Right now, I'll I'm seeing is some type of Video service with no hope of going anywhere.  Some people will say it's going nowhere because it's late to the game,... NO, it's all the lamo G rated content.  
    mac_dogdysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Everyone is different, trying to create something that is universally liked is a waste of time.

People want variety.  Personally I don’t like many (modern) comedy’s.  So a “comedy” better have some action...

Generally, I don’t watch TV other than for sports.  I watch movies occasionally on Amazon...

Waiting for new episodes on TV, is almost every time going to result in me losing interest.  I’d rather read a book...
    gregg thurman
  • Reply 14 of 34

The most popular show in the US was until recently Game of Thrones.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 34
    This is not being ridiculous. This is understanding who are your competitors and what is the state of the market. Netflix and HBO are dominant players in the streaming content market. Disney is the dominant player in the family entertainment space. With the restrictions on content Apple allegedly has, they are basically competing with broadcast television. Broadcast TV is abundant and typically free. What is Apple bringing to the game that is different enough to lure customers into paying for their service?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 34
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I wholeheartedly agree with some of the posters. Apple should create “adult” content. Mayb they can make it available by having some restricted access so folks can choose to see it if they want. Apple has the hurdle of getting late to the game, but also having to prove their worth in the entertainment sector. They should come out with guns blazing. Otherwise, it feels like bringing a knife to a gunfight. 
    cornchipdysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 34
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    If "Planet of the Apps" starring that vacuous charlatan Gwyneth Paltrow is any indication of Apple's idea of original programming then I I won't be watching, let alone paying for it.
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 34

Amen (no religious overtones intended).

How many mindless exploding cars/buildings, car chases and kung fu fighting scenes, portrayed by full time gym residents can one watch before you've seen all there is?  For me saturation occurred about 15 years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Amen (no religious overtones intended).

How many mindless exploding cars/buildings, car chases and kung fu fighting scenes, portrayed by full time gym residents can one watch before you've seen all there is?  For me saturation occurred about 15 years ago.
    None of what you listed is R-rated.
    dysamoriaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why does almost everyone presume Bryan Fuller wanted GOT-like content? You can be mature and dark without R-rated content.