Apple to launch branded over-ear headphones as soon as this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    tmay said:
    Why is Apple developing an audio accessories line separate from Beats?

Because Apple has a team of world class Audio Engineers who want more to do after the HomePod, and AirPods.
    But why not sell it under the Beats name? After all, Beats is known for their headphones. Its like Apple wants to slowly drop Beats. If Apple could make some really nice sounding Beats headphones, I bet they'd sell really well. Apple could get rid of this notion that Beats headphones sound like shit. 
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Soli said:
    Kuo says Apple is aiming to deliver a product that boasts the convenience of AirPods but with better acoustic qualities.

Considering the above is referencing big ass over the ear headphones, the quote is idiotic.
    I wouldn't go that far. Convenience comes in many forms, like the W1 chip for pairing and switching sources. Then if it's wireless with inductive charging with a battery that exceeds AirPods between placing them back in their case for charging or especially if they exceed the total time of the charging case time (which is very doubtful) plus higher quality audio and better comfort that would be more convenient. I'd love to have AirPods but the discomfort from that type of earbud is inconvenient to my usability.
    I’m with you.  My tragus (that part of the ear in front of the ear canal) is stiff and offers a straight inner wall to Apple’s earbud designs (mirrored in the AirPods).  So I can insert Apple’s earbuds or AirPods straight into my ear, but cannot turn them forward to get them to lock as they are designed to be worn.  I’ve never been able to keep earbuds in my ears for more than one slight head turn. Out they pop.

Most people have a soft tragus that folds back, offering a little catch in which the earbuds/AirPods nicely seat.  I wonder how many of us have my issue. I bet it’s less than the 10% of us lefties, and totally unrelated.  For reference, I also have inherited tight skin, such that the third knuckle on each finger doesn’t bend as I close my fist.  I can manually bend those knuckles, but the skin over them is so tight as to be smooth (zero wrinkles) and so prevents them from being pulled in by the opposing muscles as I close my fist.  This genetic aberration, I think, is a cousin of webbing, but I and my relatives exhibit none of that.  But I do have tight skin and tendons and so I imagine this is what causes my ear to have the shape it does.  
    I have the exact same problem with Apple EarPods. I have to hold still when using them, they are uncomfortable and they pop out often. AirPods would be quickly lost if I owned them, falling out regularly.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Light enough, they'll certainly replace the "good enough" pair I wear on daily walks.  See little need - ever - to replace my B&O over-ear delights for living room music/TV. Quality access to music, great listening, has been part of my life since childhood - and always worth the expense. 
  • Reply 24 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Soli said:
    Kuo says Apple is aiming to deliver a product that boasts the convenience of AirPods but with better acoustic qualities.

Considering the above is referencing big ass over the ear headphones, the quote is idiotic.
    I wouldn't go that far. Convenience comes in many forms, like the W1 chip for pairing and switching sources. Then if it's wireless with inductive charging with a battery that exceeds AirPods between placing them back in their case for charging or especially if they exceed the total time of the charging case time (which is very doubtful) plus higher quality audio and better comfort that would be more convenient. I'd love to have AirPods but the discomfort from that type of earbud is inconvenient to my usability.
    I’m with you.  My tragus (that part of the ear in front of the ear canal) is stiff and offers a straight inner wall to Apple’s earbud designs (mirrored in the AirPods).  So I can insert Apple’s earbuds or AirPods straight into my ear, but cannot turn them forward to get them to lock as they are designed to be worn.  I’ve never been able to keep earbuds in my ears for more than one slight head turn. Out they pop.

Most people have a soft tragus that folds back, offering a little catch in which the earbuds/AirPods nicely seat.  I wonder how many of us have my issue. I bet it’s less than the 10% of us lefties, and totally unrelated.  For reference, I also have inherited tight skin, such that the third knuckle on each finger doesn’t bend as I close my fist.  I can manually bend those knuckles, but the skin over them is so tight as to be smooth (zero wrinkles) and so prevents them from being pulled in by the opposing muscles as I close my fist.  This genetic aberration, I think, is a cousin of webbing, but I and my relatives exhibit none of that.  But I do have tight skin and tendons and so I imagine this is what causes my ear to have the shape it does.  
    Very interesting. But I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that handedness and ear shape/skin tightness/tendon design are unrelated. We don’t know enough about clusters of inheritance factors to rule out the possibility that all these could be part of some adaptation. 

To give one very fringe-y example, the late Stan Gooch wrote a series of books about Neanderthals, speculating in one of them — I don’t remember which — that they may have been more leftie that “modern” humans. What if your unusual cartilege were part of an ancient cold-weather strategy? 

If I were part of a minority group overlooked or excluded by Apple’s wearables designers, I’d campaign for equal treatment.

Neanderthals unite¡¡¡
  • Reply 25 of 68
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,284member
    I've tried all kinds on in-canal ear buds and they all make my ears itch and mess with my balance. My first over-the-ear headphones were Koss back in the 70's and they fit over and around my ears without any pressure. I have the same problems with glasses that are snug around my ears, the pressure gives me headaches. I also have above average size ears so OTE headphones need to have a large enough inner diameter to not press directly on my ears and soft enough cushioning to not pressure on my head. On-the-ear headphones are worthless in my opinion so if Apple wants to create the ultimate headphones, it won't be one size fits all because we're all different.

And for all you Apple products haters, it's too early Sunday morning to babble your rants, give it a break!
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 68
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    If this is true, I wonder if Apple is finding there's a firm line between people who love Beats and those who think they're ideal for the idea only. Otherwise, why wouldn't this "new" headphone be under the Beats label as part of their go-to-market? I would think the engineering teams are one by now...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 68
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    wanderso said:
    I have the exact same problem with Apple EarPods. I have to hold still when using them, they are uncomfortable and they pop out often. AirPods would be quickly lost if I owned them, falling out regularly. 

From what I understand, EarPods fit differently from AirPods. They may look the same, but they fit different.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    bluefire1 said:
    Good luck equaling Bose's QuietComfort 35.
    Never doubt Apple. 

Companies/analysts doubted the iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleWatch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Excited for Bose to have some decent competition. There is no way I would ever buy beats headphones.
    bluefire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    chasm said:
    bluefire1 said:

Those cans are lovely and boast wonderful noise cancellation, but reference headphones they ain't.

I would suggest that the report, if true, emphasizes "acoustic qualities," i.e. high-quality sound without the added bass of its Beats line. If so, that would certainly explain the price -- reference-quality headphones can cost way more than a set of Beats; prices can get quite silly in some cases, though if you shop carefully they can be reasonably affordable.
    Spot on. Grado's are wonderful reference headphones and a relative bargain as are the Audio-Technica ATH-50x (my personal choice), both priced less than a set of Apple's AirPods if you take the time to do a little shopping. 
  • Reply 31 of 68
    bluefire1 said:
    The QC 35 are one of the best "overall' headphones when you take into account they are near the very top in noise cancelling, and have very good sound, and they are arguable the most comfortable.   That said, there are many headphones that "sound better." Yes, these headphones are expensive, but it's not going to be difficult for Apple to have better sound.  Sony, with the WH1000M2,  has pretty clearly exceeded the QC 35 in sound quality and most experts have found the noise cancelling to be superior as well. Where the QC 35 has the edge is in comfort.  The Sony's are very good, but they aren't at quite the same level and that's why choosing between these two is so difficult. 

Apple is about to blow the entire industry away with these new headphones.  They have already proven they have the team and money to produce sound quality with the very best, and they already have industry leading connectivity with the W-1/2, and their design team.  All of that said, what will shake up the entire industry is the additional capabilities that they will build into the headphones.  None of the top manufacturers like Bose, Sony, etc., have anywhere near Apple's technology or ability to integrate technology into their headsets.  Look at what Apple did with the tiny AirPods, e.g., beam forming mics, accelerometer, infrared, etc., now imagine Apple's engineers having the space of over the ear headset to put technology in.  Buckle in.
    watto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 32 of 68

Rayz2016 said:
    What we know:

They will be gorgeous. 

They will sound terrific. 

There will be a cool Jony Ive video. 

They will cost an arm and a leg. 

They will miss the Christmas buying period. 

Audiophiles will claim their $800 Clymedia KnockingFlange XRW646774366SD headsets sound much better. 

Folk will post lots of bizarre “what if” disaster scenarios: What if I’m walking along and someone shouts “Hey you”. When I look round, someone hits me in the face with a frozen kipper and runs off with my iMuffs. 

A month after they’re released, Samsung will drop viral marketing shots of an almost identical product, except they will hint that the sound will be ten times better and they will be the first headphones featuring a unique “over the groin” design. 

Post of the week,  we have a winner folks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 68

Because Apple is making money hands over fists with its Beats line, but Beats is primarily platform agnostic with a huge worldwide market share.   The new headphones are going to be tied deeply into the Apple ecosystem with technology that will place it at whole new tier.  Apple is being very careful not to confuse folks that anyone can buy Beats and have a great experience.  That's why they have just begun to integrate the W-1 into Beats, and why they haven't switched to lightening connectors.  Apple also knows that their Beats line has a reputation for a certain "sound," e.g., heavy bass, that appeals to a large demographic.  

A new headphone line allows Apple to highlight a whole new wearable, which they are turning into a multi-billion dollar revenue source.  It is also synergistic with their ecosystem in a way that pushing it into the Beats line could never do, likely at a price point that Beats would struggle at as well. Finally,  Apple will establish a new sound quality standard with these headphones without having to struggle against the Beats sound reputation.

edited February 2018 entropyswatto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 34 of 68
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member
    One step toward a complete VR headset.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 68
    macxpress said:
    tmay said:

Because Apple has a team of world class Audio Engineers who want more to do after the HomePod, and AirPods.
    But why not sell it under the Beats name? After all, Beats is known for their headphones. Its like Apple wants to slowly drop Beats. If Apple could make some really nice sounding Beats headphones, I bet they'd sell really well. Apple could get rid of this notion that Beats headphones sound like shit. 
    "Slowly drop Beats" ?   You've got to be kidding.   I laid out the reasons Apple is not using Beats for its new wearables, i.e., AirPods and AirCans,  but Beats is one of the worlds' leading consumer electronic brands.   You may not like their sound, and I prefer a less bass heavy emphasis, but Beats  is making Apple huge amounts of money and last year again was number 1 IN THE WORLD  in headphone revenue, so clearly its not a majority opinion among consumers. Indeed, the notion that they sound like s**t may be just another internet meme, but as I pointed out above, that's yet another reason that Apple wouldn't introduce it's new audiophile level headphones under the Beats brand.

BTW,  reviewers have generally praised the sound with the new Studio 3 as far as sound.

https://headphonereview.com/over-ear/beats-studio-3-wireless-review/
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Wonder if they’ll have AirPlay? Not just for the highest possible quality but to allow other features (like streaming directly to your headphones without having to actually pair them to a phone).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Wonder if they’ll have AirPlay? Not just for the highest possible quality but to allow other features (like streaming directly to your headphones without having to actually pair them to a phone).
    it's certainly possible to create what amounts to a portable, wearable HomePod.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 68
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    I haven’t used a pair of tin cans since maybe the early aughts. So, hmm, what would I want in a modern version today? Or, what could you do with them to make them easier to use?

As I recall, my chief complaints were:

1. They made my ears hot and sweaty after prolonged use.
    2. They hurt my ears sometimes due to glasses and compressing my ears onto them
    3. They were bulky. Cables suck. Packing it took significant bag area
    4. If wireless, you have to charge and that could cumbersome 

This was all in trade off for better audio versus buds or in-ear headphones. It doesn’t seem like Apple can really address those three complaints as they are the inherent trade offs with the form factor. Comfort is one of my top priorities, so hopefully there has been a super comfortable, not sweat inducing cushion material developed in the past ten years.

But, it doesn’t have to be a pure head set. They could make it a pair of smart headphones? HomePod for you ears? An A9 powered Apple Music and Siri client? It’ll have NAND to cache music for longer battery life?

But how often and how long do people really wear tin cans? And therefore, it really doesn’t need to be smart.

I’m still waiting for a nice cordless in-ear canal head phones, with great noise isolation. 
    watto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 39 of 68
    macxpress said:
    tmay said:

Why does Honda sell cars branded as Acura (or Toyota as Lexus)?  Branding strategies.
    watto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 40 of 68

kkqd1337 said:
    Excited for Bose to have some decent competition. There is no way I would ever buy beats headphones.
    There you go.  That answers the "why wouldn't Apple just sell them as Beats?" question.  (People are weird.)
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra