Apple to launch branded over-ear headphones as soon as this year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if Apple's experience with HomePod at gauging a room to deliver the best sound is going to lead them down a NuraPhone-type route.  Those things are getting a very good write up.
    Soli
  • Reply 62 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Let’s hope they are around-ear and not the less comfortable on-ear.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 63 of 68
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    mjtomlin said:
    LOL headlines will surely make Apple great again while the Macs stay the same for a decade.
    Apple has released ore headphones than macs in the last year!
    Fire everyone in the executive suite and bring back Guy K.
    Time to make Apple great again.

Seriously?

Umm, Apple didn’t release ANY new headphones last year; AirPods were released in 2016. However, they did release updated iMacs, and Mac Book Pros, plus the brand new iMac Pro. Plus, an updated 12” iPad and an all new 10” iPad. Plus the new AppleWatch w/mobile connectivity, plus the AppleTV 4K, plus the updated iPhones, and the brand new iPhone X, (and the better-late-than-never HomePod). The only things that weren’t updated were the iPod, Mac Pro, and Mac mini. (We’ll see the new Mac Pro at WWDC, then released by the end of year. Mac mini? Who knows? Maybe this Spring’s media event?)

Or are you being stuperficial and talking about industrial design?
    You can call him Professional Troll.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 64 of 68
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Rayz2016 said:
    What we know:

They will be gorgeous. 

They will sound terrific. 

There will be a cool Jony Ive video. 

They will cost an arm and a leg. 

They will miss the Christmas buying period. 

Audiophiles will claim their $800 Clymedia KnockingFlange XRW646774366SD headsets sound much better. 

Folk will post lots of bizarre “what if” disaster scenarios: What if I’m walking along and someone shouts “Hey you”. When I look round, someone hits me in the face with a frozen kipper and runs off with my iMuffs. 

A month after they’re released, Samsung will drop viral marketing shots of an almost identical product, except they will hint that the sound will be ten times better and they will be the first headphones featuring a unique “over the groin” design. 

You deserve my screenshot
  • Reply 65 of 68
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,409member
    Soli said:
    I'd love for some tiny, bone-conducting headphone that are supported over and behind the ear.
    They have their uses. I had to use them for a few years in the military. But high-fidelity is not one of them. Or at least it wasn't. But I'd be first in line if there were such an animal. Or they be at the top of my list if there is such an animal.

mjtomlin said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Good luck equaling Bose's QuietComfort 35.
    I wouldn’t exactly count Apple out, they’re last two audio products brought new technologies that made them best of class.
    Exactly. No luck needed if active-noise cancellation were the target along with modest fidelity.

If Apple makes pricey headphones I expect they won't be HIGH END or even high end, but more like high-ish end. The state of really high-end  headphones is pretty amazing with a price tag to match impressive specifications. Apple won't do that. Nobody really wants a $10,000 or more Apple Watch. VERY little cachét over the basic Watch. I expect they'll sound much better than what a lot of Apple customers but still be easily bested by truly audiophile level kit.

Unfortunately my X/Y of age and service related hearing degradation vs quality of music and its reproduction mean I shouldn't spend a great deal on performance. So a balance of performance and attractive design with an emphasis on design make me a perfect candidate for Apple's form over function philosophy. 
  • Reply 66 of 68

Kuo says Apple is aiming to deliver a product that boasts the convenience of AirPods but with better acoustic qualities.

Considering the above is referencing big ass over the ear headphones, the quote is idiotic.
    I wouldn't go that far either, depending on what/how Kou defined convenience. Superior sound quality over AirPods are a given. We're talking apples and oranges after all.

As far as similarities in convenience between APs and Apple Future Headphones, that could mean:

•W1 chip for easy pairing for any modern Apple device.
    •Convenient charging stand 
    •Ability to use only one transducer to extend battery life
    •Siri enabled
    •Auto On/Off when donning/doffing headset
    •Functioning as headset as well as headphones (this doesn't do anything for me)
    •There might be more. How about once paired to kit and 'Cloud, putting on the  'phones not only turns them on but also selected Apple devices too

While I like active noise reduction, now frequently referred to as active noise isolation (hate that), I don't think it has any place in actively appreciating music. Haters can say it doesn't make any difference because millennials only listen to crap music mp3s, BT speakers, on lousy earbuds. 

But if Apple makes these without active noise reduction, then can spend the time and money on better performance. And beautiful design that some will love, and some will love to hate. Win-win.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    macxpress said:
    But why not sell it under the Beats name? After all, Beats is known for their headphones. Its like Apple wants to slowly drop Beats. If Apple could make some really nice sounding Beats headphones, I bet they'd sell really well. Apple could get rid of this notion that Beats headphones sound like shit. 
    Maybe because Apple doesn't need another fire to put out, figuratively speaking.

Supposedly, Beats has improved their quality. But they're still seen as being overpriced poor quality phones with poorer performance, and catering to kids only wanting thumping bass. Perception is reality. Apple is merely overpriced (somewhat, LOL).

Apple also doesn't have to overhaul Beats and retrain or replace people to get the product they want. And I think Apple will be selling something at a price point Beats could never pull off. Thump thump won't good enough, and good enough won't be acceptable.
    edited March 2018