iOS 11.3 upgrade fatal for some repaired iPhone 8 screens done by third-party shops

Posted:
in iPhone
Some iPhone 8 owners got a rude awakening when the latest iOS software update killed their devices repaired with aftermarket screens installed by third parties, but it isn't clear how wide spread the problem is.

According to a report Tuesday by Motherboard, the release of iOS 11.3 has killed the touch functionality in "thousands" of iPhone 8 devices with screens repaired by non-Apple third parties, when those phones had worked previously. One repair shop told the site that the issue has caused "over 2,000 reshipments" in the less than two weeks since the software update.

It's unclear if the glitch was intentional or accidental, or if a future software update will provide a fix. Apple has not commented on the matter.

Michael Oberdick, an Ohio repair shop technician quoted in Motherboard's story, said that the "repair community" believes a certain microchip is responsible for powering the screens. Repair shops have figured out how to fix the phones, by opening them and "upgrading" the chips, the story said.

Scott Pashak, a smartphone repair technician at iRepairWorks in Philadelphia, told AppleInsider that two people have come in with this problem since the new update, while another customer complained of a voice recorder that stopped working. He said the store has been treating these problems with a fairly routine DFU restore, and hasn't had to take any of the phones apart.

Additional research by AppleInsider shows similar results to iRepairWorks, with a DFU restore often, if not always, fixing the problem. So, at present, it isn't clear if the "thousands" of iPhones afflicted cited by the report is accurate or hyperbole, nor is it clear what a chip "upgrade" entails.

Apple vs. Independent Repair Shops

The iPhone 8 update issue is the latest flashpoint in a long series of disagreements between Apple itself and independent repair shops, especially in regards to iPhones and their highly sophisticated touchscreens.

In 2016, customers sued Apple over "Error 53" glitches, in which iPhones were bricked after third party repair personnel altered the TouchID technology, which Apple acknowledged that year was part of TouchID security.

In early 2017, Apple adjusted its longtime policy and announced that third-party iPhone screen repairs would no longer violate standard warranties, as long as those repairs did not damage the casing or other related components. Apple also made the "Horizon Machine" calibration device available to authorized third party repair shops, in an effort to reduce lines at Apple Stores.

Apple, though, has continued to oppose "Right to Repair" laws, which would compel manufacturers to provide essentials like repair manuals and spare parts to the public. Like most of the consumer electronics industry, Apple opposes such legislation, believing that only authorized technicians should perform repairs. Right to Repair has not passed in any state this year.

Meanwhile, Apple's $29 price tag for an iPhone 8 repair, for those with AppleCare+, does not apply to the back glass, which costs $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    My iPad Air 2 is bricked after installing 11.3. Touch screen does not work anymore. Same for my iPhone 6s Plus. Smh. 
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Repair shops have figured out how to fix the phones, by opening them and "upgrading" the chips

Sounds legit. 

tokyojimurazorpitracerhomie3edredwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 49
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    An iOS upgrade is causing deaths? 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Assuming this is due to an incompatibility with a chip used in 3rd party repairs, I wouldn't necessarily expect Apple to be aware of it before releasing an iOS or firmware update. I would expect them to look into the issue if it is widespread, though.

It would be nice if Apple made it easier to 'downgrade' to a previous version after updating iOS. There have been several times over the years where iOS upgrades either made my older device unbearably slow, or there were unknown bugs or other issues that actually made the new version less functional than the old one. While technically feasible to restore an older version, it's never easy or straightforward.
    jkichlineavon b7bonobobdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 49
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    My iPad Air 2 is bricked after installing 11.3. Touch screen does not work anymore. Same for my iPhone 6s Plus. Smh. 
    Problems with two devices in the same household? Something serious wrong with that. 
    razorpitracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 49
    MplsP said:
    Assuming this is due to an incompatibility with a chip used in 3rd party repairs, I wouldn't necessarily expect Apple to be aware of it before releasing an iOS or firmware update. I would expect them to look into the issue if it is widespread, though.

It would be nice if Apple made it easier to 'downgrade' to a previous version after updating iOS. There have been several times over the years where iOS upgrades either made my older device unbearably slow, or there were unknown bugs or other issues that actually made the new version less functional than the old one. While technically feasible to restore an older version, it's never easy or straightforward.
    You can, but it's tricky and you have a short window to do it. Apple stops signing the older iOS images within a few weeks after they release an update.  Here is a good guide to give you a reference on how to do it. 

https://m.wikihow.com/Downgrade-iOS

cornchipwillcropointwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Because you had them repaired at a cheap repair shop instead of at an Apple Store?
    racerhomie3bshankwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Meanwhile, Apple's $29 price tag for an iPhone 8 repair, for those with AppleCare+, does not apply to the back glass, which costs $99.

Apple never claimed that it did. 

According to Apple's page explaining Applecare + it says:

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone.

So what was the point of that paragraph?  The back glass should be covered under screen damage?

The reason why it costs $99 is that the back glass is part of the enclosure which Apple does not repair, they replace the whole unit. Why? Because they would have to gut the phone to do it and they won't do that in their retail stores. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Meanwhile, Apple's $29 price tag for an iPhone 8 repair, for those with AppleCare+, does not apply to the back glass, which costs $99.

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone.

So what was the point of that paragraph?  The back glass should be covered under screen damage?

The reason why it costs $99 is that the back glass is part of the enclosure which Apple does not repair, they replace the whole unit. Why? Because they would have to gut the phone to do it and they won't do that in their retail stores. 
    Where are you getting that we're implying anything? We're aware that it's part of the case.

If we wanted to say that we think it should be a $29 repair, we'd say that specific thing.
    edited April 2018 berndogfastasleepbshank
  • Reply 10 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So, you had replaced both screens AND both were one of the few introducing the bug, I'm calling bullshit here bud.
    edited April 2018 bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Because you had them repaired at a cheap repair shop instead of at an Apple Store?
    Not everybody lives near an Apple store. Heck there aren’t even Apple Stores in all 50 states.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7cornchipgatorguy
  • Reply 12 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    kruegdude said:
    Problems with two devices in the same household? Something serious wrong with that. 
    Or serious amount of throlling, I'm going for throlling.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49

If a person doesn’t treat these devices as very costly consumer electronics and protect them with appropriate covers and cases, they’re just being foolish.
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Cue another raft of class action lawsuits.
    Filing Suit against Apple is getting to be a national pasttime in the USA.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Not everybody lives near an Apple store. Heck there aren’t even Apple Stores in all 50 states.
    Are these folks unable to mail a device to Apple for repair?  I am surprised you even responded to this considering how troll like the original comment is.. Also we really have no idea if the OP had either device repaired at all previously because they didn't answer or mention they did.. Looking through the OP's posts he's been complaining about updates messing up his iPad Air 2 going back to IOS 9 and Airpods not working after a firmware update..
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Here come the “right to repair” retards.
    SpamSandwichmacxpresslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 49
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I've had a simple update kill my cheap 3rd party charging cables.  I'm not surprised if an update would kill a screen.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    jcs2305 said:
    Are these folks unable to mail a device to Apple for repair?  
    And how long does that take for Apple to repair a phone? I don't know about you, but I can't be without my phone for days on end. I need it for personal/business reasons. Going to a third-party shop that may be down the street and having them take 30 mins to an hour to repair is a lot better than mailing off your phone and being without for a few days to a week (again, I don't know Apple's turnaround time).

Like rogifan said, not everyone lives within earshot of an Apple Store. The closest one to me is 35 mins away. The next closest one is 50 mins away. Some others don't have that luxury. Now, there's a third-party repair shop about 5 mins dow the road, but I've never had to use them (fortunately).

My only problem with this whole thing is that the phones were working perfectly fine beforehand, and then an update kills them out of the blue.
    edited April 2018 cornchipmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 49
    mazda 3s said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Are these folks unable to mail a device to Apple for repair?  
    And how long does that take for Apple to repair a phone? I don't know about you, but I can't be without my phone for days on end. I need it for personal/business reasons. Going to a third-party shop that may be down the street and having them take 30 mins to an hour to repair is a lot better than mailing off your phone and being without for a few days to a week (again, I don't know Apple's turnaround time).

Like rogifan said, not everyone lives within earshot of an Apple Store. The closest one to me is 35 mins away. The next closest one is 50 mins away. Some others don't have that luxury. Now, there's a third-party repair shop about 5 mins dow the road, but I've never had to use them (fortunately).

My only problem with this whole thing is that the phones were working perfectly fine beforehand, and then an update kills them out of the blue.
    I suppose people forget a time (not so long ago) when you'd have to mail your product back to the manufacturer and it could take 6-8 weeks for them to do something about it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I suppose people forget a time (not so long ago) when you'd have to mail your product back to the manufacturer and it could take 6-8 weeks for them to do something about it!
    And my 5-year-old didn't know what a house phone was, or a cassette tape -- times change ;)

My wife and I nearly had a heart attack a few weeks back from laughter. We were at my wife's grandfather's house (he just turned 93) and his house phone rang. My son genuinely looked shocked and dumbfounded. He said, "What IS that? What's that noise?". Great-grand -- as he calls him -- pointed to the phone and showed it to him; you would have thought that he was looking at an alien :)
    SpamSandwichbonobobcornchip[Deleted User]