AirPort Express Wi-Fi router removed from Home app in iOS 11.4 beta, AirPlay 2 support in ...

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2018
The AirPort Express is no longer showing up in the Home app for users on the latest iOS 11.4 beta, casting doubt that it will be updated to use as an AirPlay 2 target.

AirPort Express added in Home app on iOS 11.4 beta 1

In the first iOS 11.4 beta release, users started to see their AirPort Express appear in the Home app alongside HomePods and Apple TVs, suggesting the router might be updated to support AirPlay 2. This functionality has now been removed in beta 2 of iOS 11.4.

AirPlay 2, which is included in iOS 11.4 beta software, will allow users stream music to multiple speakers simultaneously. Since speakers are configured in the Home app, the appearance of AirPort Express in beta one spurred speculation that the device, which currently supports the first-generation AirPlay protocol, would be getting upgraded to AirPlay 2 in the future.

Now that it has been removed in the latest beta, it is unclear what the future holds for the AirPort Express. It could either get an upgrade to work with AirPlay 2, or it could be relegated to support original AirPlay.

Subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube

AirPlay 2 brings many new features including multi-room audio, increased throughput, and better reliability. Devices like the Apple TV and HomePod will be getting updates to support AirPlay 2 when it launches.

The AirPort Express last received a software update in December of 2017, when Apple pushed out firmware to address the KRACK exploits. Apple is not expected to release a new version of the small, portable router, as the company is widely rumored to have disbanded the AirPort hardware division.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    This would be a shame. I have my Express connected to a Marantz receiver via the optical out. Makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.
    cornchipbrian greentechprod1gydonjuanaylkolsCaffiend
  • Reply 2 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    jdgaz said:
    This would be a shame. I have my Express connected to a Marantz receiver via the optical out. Makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.
    HomePod?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...is this yet another reason to stick with old hardware and not send hardware upgrade money to Apple...? An Authorized Dealer I spoke to recently declared Yosemite their preferred MacOS...
    donjuanols
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ...is this yet another reason to stick with old hardware and not send hardware upgrade money to Apple...? An Authorized Dealer I spoke to recently declared Yosemite their preferred MacOS...
    Just curious...what are the other reasons?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    What, that the Airport Express will only be an AirPlay target, and not an AirPlay 2 one? The hardware hasn't been updated for five years.

That's an irresponsible thing for the dealer to say, from a security standpoint alone. And, you can tell them that I said so.
    mwhiteroundaboutnowmacxpress2old4funfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 29
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 573member
    jdgaz said:
    I agree!  I just pulled up Airport Utility (which is fantastic) and I utilize three Time Capsules (of various vintages) and three Airport Express units to extend my wifi coverage and to provide various speakers (mostly Bose) with access points.  

This was classic old Apple - providing cutting edge hardware/software (Time Capsule and small wifi access points vis Airport Express) then incrementally upgrading that (Airplay and incorporating newer wi-fi standards) such that you had long life for older hardware integrating with newer standards.  Even though the Airport Express units were stuck on older wifi standards they still seamlessly integrated with the newer standards vis software and firmware updates.  

jdgazcornchip2old4funaylk[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    jdgaz said:
    AirPort Express hardware is too old. It doesn't even support 802.11 AC. The only reason Apple still keeps it around because of the AirPlay feature.

• Reply 8 of 29
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    fallenjt said:
    jdgaz said:
    AirPort Express hardware is too old. It doesn't even support 802.11 AC. The only reason Apple still keeps it around because of the AirPlay feature.

I dont use it as a router, just an extender. It does that real well. Have 802.11AC separately via a time capsule.
    aylk
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Would be a disappointment. 
  • Reply 10 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    I sure wish a new line of Airports would be announced. I'm disappointed Apple seems to have abandoned this important hardware. Add 802.11ac and VPN services. Seems like it would be a natural location for some sort of HomeKit operation if you're into that. 
    libertyforalllmacmike54
  • Reply 11 of 29
    macxpress said:
    Well here goes my list, and I have used all of these aspects on all my hardware:

- VESA flexibility & target display dropped on iMac (was 5k worth it?)
    - fixed or proprietary ram, storage & batteries on portables, mini, pro, mouse, keyboard
    - being forced onto 'always in beta' OS when buying new hardware
    - mandatory touchbar expense for any portable with discrete graphics
    - lack of TB3 mDP support with the TB3/TB2 display adapter
    - the LG monitor (nuff said)
    - donglegate
    The one exception to me might be macbook due to impressive size, and yet the air managed upgradable storage and a plethora of ports...

edited April 2018 donjuanaylk[Deleted User]
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    well hell

I wonder how tough it is to set up an Apple TV "headless"
  • Reply 13 of 29
    And we wonder why 3rd party dealers are failing....
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 29
    macxpress said:
    Well here goes my list, and I have used all of these aspects on all my hardware:

- fixed or proprietary ram, storage & batteries on portables, mini, pro, mouse, keyboard
    - donglegate
    The one exception to me might be macbook due to impressive size, and yet the air managed upgradable storage and a plethora of ports...

• Target display was dropped in 2013. It was literally removed from the Thunderbolt hardware spec.
    • Proprietary RAM hasn't been a thing since the PowerBook 3400/3500, and 5V DIMM in the desktop wasn't proprietary. I'll give you fixed, but argue that there are engineering reasons for it.
    • I don't understand "forced onto 'always in beta'"
    • Touch Bar expense? Like? I presume this is something like "charge me $100 less to not have one"
    • This is accurate, but why not just get a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable?
    • LG monitor was not engineered by Apple.
    • Donglegate is what exactly? If it's the OH GOD ADAPTERS narrative, that's pretty dumb, because as computer users we've always, always had to adapt things. It has happened before, and it will happen again.
    edited April 2018 macxpressfastasleepStrangeDaysmatrix077spheric
  • Reply 15 of 29
    macxpress said:

- donglegate

• Target display was dropped in 2013. It was literally removed from the Thunderbolt hardware spec.
    • Proprietary RAM hasn't been a thing since the PowerBook 3400/3500, and 5V DIMM in the desktop wasn't proprietary. I'll give you fixed, but argue that there are engineering reasons for it.
    • Touch Bar expense? Like? I presume this is something like "charge me $100 less to not have one"
    • Donglegate is what exactly? If it's the OH GOD ADAPTERS narrative, that's pretty dumb, because as computer users we've always, always had to adapt things. It has happened before, and it will happen again.
    And as far as donglegate...you really don't need to get dongle for most things, just a different cable. USB-C adapts to pretty much everything. Hell, there are even USB-C to 9-pin serial cables available and there's no argument over so now I gotta carry around cables...you had to anyways with USB-A. So no, you don't need to carry around a thousand dongles (adapters), just a different cable. Its called moving forward with technology. If someone can't handle Apple pushing technology forward rather than staying status quo then I don't know what to tell you...I guess go use a Dell or Mac with 5yr old technology in it if that's what makes you happy. 
    fastasleepStrangeDaysspheric
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

- donglegate

And as far as donglegate...you really don't need to get dongle for most things, just a different cable. USB-C adapts to pretty much everything. Hell, there are even USB-C to 9-pin serial cables available and there's no argument over so now I gotta carry around cables...you had to anyways with USB-A. So no, you don't need to carry around a thousand dongles (adapters), just a different cable. Its called moving forward with technology. If someone can't handle Apple pushing technology forward rather than staying status quo then I don't know what to tell you...I guess go use a Dell or Mac with 5yr old technology in it if that's what makes you happy. 
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. The migration to USB-C is a non-issue.
    spheric
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I'd love to see the APE stay around for AirPlay2 - even if it's only allowed in the "join a network" configuration that allows for it (or just plug it in via Ethernet). That said, I don't think AirPlay is going away, so that hardware can be moved into a space you aren't looking to use in a multi-room setup (den, basement, etc.). My hope is Apple keeps the old MB321LL/A models going and also comes up with a similar HomePod "mini" or "nano" that can just plug directly into the wall like those and then have the same analog/digital audio output jack for speakers and a mic of some sort. I doubt that's coming, though.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    macxpress said:

- donglegate

...perhaps an example of what is being advocated...?
    <p>
    http://barefeats.com/hard230.html
    <p>
    It has all just gotten a bit silly to me...
    <p>
    yes onboard RAM narrows tuning for speed - and forces others to pay $1k for 1TB when a $300 drive may be 'fast enough' for particular needs...
    <p>
    Apple chose not to upgrade the thunderbolt display, and clearly did not front run the LG for efficacy, vs simply updating the Thunderbolt to 4K and USB3 which might have covered the masses, and adding a 5K option for the pros who needed it - was 5K worth making everything so difficult ? Even the iMac has been criticized now only finally getting desktop level GPU and VRAM, with all but the 395X falling short prior... 
    <p>
    ... and so yes I have tested but sent back all hardware hoped to work since 2011, missing two full Applecare upgrade cycles that would have been routine in a prior era - it was just to much of a hassle 'for the rest of us' - to each their own...  On a positive I would say that the hardware is well built, and my 2010 iMac is the best computer I've ever owned, allowing me to keep my flexible options running, and debating which OS I really want to run with, still firing up snow on occasion to access older files and apps - oops can't do that on a newer mac, even if a client wants it...
    <p>
    ...and looping back in I still have a couple of the earlier express, still hardware functional, yet one now unsupported - at what point do environmental considerations factor in to what may be planned obsolescence for business purposes with a supposed sustainable policy...?
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    What, that the Airport Express will only be an AirPlay target, and not an AirPlay 2 one? The hardware hasn't been updated for five years.

That's an irresponsible thing for the dealer to say, from a security standpoint alone. And, you can tell them that I said so.
    Don’t worry. He made the whole thing up. 
    StrangeDaysmatrix077
  • Reply 20 of 29
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member

Why would anyone care what you think, Mike?
    aylk[Deleted User]