Ill-informed YouTuber bemoans Apple repair policies after breaking iMac Pro

145791015

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 283
    You make good points, but unfortunately all of your points are completely irrelevant.  Apple is taking a huge risk by not dealing with this (even if the customer in this case gets hit with a big repair bill). Events like this will only add fuel to the fire in regards to proposed right-to-repair bills working through multiple state legislatures.  Apple is vehemently opposed to such legislation, and if state legislators succeed in passing these laws, Apple would be severely impacted in not only how they design iMacs, but how they design iPhones and iPads as well.

    Apple needs to get in front of this as soon as possible, if they don't want outsiders dictating how they must design their products.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 122 of 283
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 258member
    Stoopid!  I can’t wrap my head around how dumb this story is.  Good Pro computer.  Apple is simply setting up a competition between two of its products.  Hopefully, the coming Mac Pro will be a completely flexible old school design.  The two go head to head.  Clear sales winner stays in product line.  If they both do well, then they both stay.  IMO the iMac Pro is a fantastic offering.  It covers a majority of a Pro’s needs
    baconstang
  • Reply 123 of 283
    jdwjdw Posts: 638member

    The video is really just clickbait and hammed up for the camera.
    If so, why mention the name of the Youtuber in the article at all?  Such is tantamount to providing a direct URL to the YouTube video since most people will merely Google the YouTuber name and immediately spot the video.  For that matter, if this is indeed "clickbait" (and if that is a bad thing), why even write the article?  If the article was written because the premise for a story is sound and the basic gist of it could be used to inform readers, again, why not leave the YouTuber's name completely out of the article?

    Not that it matters in the greater scheme of things, but I am curious, in light of it being pronounced "clickbait."
  • Reply 124 of 283
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:
    What i found rather funny is that shortly before i'd seen Linus post this video i had been having my morning coffee with a co-worker and for whatever reason i had been telling him about Linus' original video reviewing the IMac Pro (Which obviously lead to it's damage). 1 of the points he made, was that there is no video in. So down the line when you want to upgrade you can't even get extra use out of the machine by using is as a 2nd monitor. This is a rather deliberate choice by Apple to create Forced Obsolescence. It's rather shady and definitely Anti-Consumer. This issue he's now having has the same smell of even more Forced Obsolescence.
    Another load of BS, go back to PC land, you never owned a Mac in your own damn life and just spouting to hear yourself talk.
    Just because you don't like what i said, doesn't make it BS. It was the truth and a very good point that Linus originally made about the product. 

    Attacking someones credentials as opposed to the content of what was said is a terribly weak way to try and put forth an argument. I assume you have never made a single comment about any product on earth that you have never owned, that seems just a little unlikely.
    You are correct. It's not BS because he didn't like you said, it's BS because you're claiming that including a display in a product is "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer." Not liking what you said is a result of you writing a bunch of BS.
    You tried to compare an extremely pricey desktop PC to an apple watch, apples to oranges, to try and make a point that fits your own narrative. Sooooo who's talking BS? haha
    Oh, so this is now an issue about price? So you think the $10k gold Apple Watch (which far exceeds the base price of the iMac) should have a removable display but not he $350 Apple Watch Sport? Is that the narrative you now want to press about which CE products should be required to have certain components removable so they can be placed onto other products in the future they're above some price ceiling that you decide on a whim? Where would a MacBook Pro fall since they start and stop within the range of an iMac?
    You keep saying 'removable'. Please re-read my comment before making inaccurate assertions. And the apple watch stuff is just sillyness and you know it.

    Linus' critique was that a display input would allow you to use it as a standalone monitor once you've moved from from the current internals. You could use it as a 2nd monitor to go with your new IMac for example.
    Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    You do realise that people can have differing opinions right? I get that you disagree and that's fine. But trying to make false analogies and misquotations to try and discredit someone else's opinion is really silly. Linus' original video was actually pretty fair and in general he doesn't play favourites, he's ripped a number of manufacturers on all sides of the fence. No one is without sin, fair critiques is how things get better for everyone.
    My comments have nothing to do with Linus. My comments are about your ridiculous claims.

    As for your "do realise that people can have differing opinions" comment, I'll let Patton Oswalt explain that to you…




    You didn't even read what i originally said properly since you went off on a wild goose chase about removable displays. So perhaps try and have an adult conversation with someone before calling them ridiculous
  • Reply 125 of 283
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,377member
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:
    What i found rather funny is that shortly before i'd seen Linus post this video i had been having my morning coffee with a co-worker and for whatever reason i had been telling him about Linus' original video reviewing the IMac Pro (Which obviously lead to it's damage). 1 of the points he made, was that there is no video in. So down the line when you want to upgrade you can't even get extra use out of the machine by using is as a 2nd monitor. This is a rather deliberate choice by Apple to create Forced Obsolescence. It's rather shady and definitely Anti-Consumer. This issue he's now having has the same smell of even more Forced Obsolescence.
    Another load of BS, go back to PC land, you never owned a Mac in your own damn life and just spouting to hear yourself talk.
    Just because you don't like what i said, doesn't make it BS. It was the truth and a very good point that Linus originally made about the product. 

    Attacking someones credentials as opposed to the content of what was said is a terribly weak way to try and put forth an argument. I assume you have never made a single comment about any product on earth that you have never owned, that seems just a little unlikely.
    You are correct. It's not BS because he didn't like you said, it's BS because you're claiming that including a display in a product is "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer." Not liking what you said is a result of you writing a bunch of BS.
    You tried to compare an extremely pricey desktop PC to an apple watch, apples to oranges, to try and make a point that fits your own narrative. Sooooo who's talking BS? haha
    Oh, so this is now an issue about price? So you think the $10k gold Apple Watch (which far exceeds the base price of the iMac) should have a removable display but not he $350 Apple Watch Sport? Is that the narrative you now want to press about which CE products should be required to have certain components removable so they can be placed onto other products in the future they're above some price ceiling that you decide on a whim? Where would a MacBook Pro fall since they start and stop within the range of an iMac?
    You keep saying 'removable'. Please re-read my comment before making inaccurate assertions. And the apple watch stuff is just sillyness and you know it.

    Linus' critique was that a display input would allow you to use it as a standalone monitor once you've moved from from the current internals. You could use it as a 2nd monitor to go with your new IMac for example.
    Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    You do realise that people can have differing opinions right? I get that you disagree and that's fine. But trying to make false analogies and misquotations to try and discredit someone else's opinion is really silly. Linus' original video was actually pretty fair and in general he doesn't play favourites, he's ripped a number of manufacturers on all sides of the fence. No one is without sin, fair critiques is how things get better for everyone.
    My comments have nothing to do with Linus. My comments are about your ridiculous claims.

    As for your "do realise that people can have differing opinions" comment, I'll let Patton Oswalt explain that to you…




    You didn't even read what i originally said properly since you went off on a wild goose chase about removable displays. So perhaps try and have an adult conversation with someone before calling them ridiculous
    Oh, I read it, and I've addressed it. I tried to give you an out on your ridiculous statements about it being "shady and definitely anti-consumer" that Apple doesn't have display inout ports on all their devices that have embedded displays, but you just keep knocking on that door. Of course, you'll want to say you're only talking about the iMac, but that misses the point of your odd declaration that Apple is shady for building devices that do specific things.
    edited April 18 liquidmark
  • Reply 126 of 283
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,067member
    jwestveer said:
    You took your machine apart and broke it in the process?

    Awww, thats too bad.  Buy another one.  It is not the manufacture's problem.
    The iMac Pro’s sell for as much as $13,000, these aren’t iPhones or iPads, or even MacBooks.

    The “real” Mac Pro hasn’t been released yet.  I expect sales to be much better than iMac Pro...

    Real Pro users upgrade their machines.

    You have no concept of what a "real" pro or "real" pro computer is. The iMac Pro is perfect for my uses. I use it for 8-10 hours/day to make real work product. 
    liquidmark
  • Reply 127 of 283
    Is AppleInsider trying to get a job at Apple’s legal team?

    It’s pretty bad Apple didn’t repair the iMac. It’s a premium, expensive machine and not repairing it is just bad customer service. Whatever AppleInsider writes (in too many words).
    They were willing to pay for it. Whatever is in their terms of service, this is pretty bad. 
  • Reply 128 of 283
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,377member
    Is AppleInsider trying to get a job at Apple’s legal team?

    It’s pretty bad Apple didn’t repair the iMac. It’s a premium, expensive machine and not repairing it is just bad customer service. Whatever AppleInsider writes (in too many words).
    They were willing to pay for it. Whatever is in their terms of service, this is pretty bad. 
    Why is it so hard to understand that not everything is repairable at a cost below the current value or at a reasonable value for the repairer? Have you never heard of a car being considered totaled by an insurance company even though there are still parts of the car that aren't damaged? Are you saying that he's willing for pay for it to be repaired even if the cost of a US-based diagnostic and repair shop exceeded the cost of the original product? That's a very real possibility for a new product that will probably need to be diagnosed and repaired in the US where costs are going to be higher for the man hours involved. He has options, just not through Apple.


    edited April 18 liquidmarkGG1macxpress
  • Reply 129 of 283
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,343member

    jwestveer said:
    You took your machine apart and broke it in the process?

    Awww, thats too bad.  Buy another one.  It is not the manufacture's problem.
    Real Pro users upgrade their machines.
    Absolutely false. DIY tinkerers and enthusiasts upgrade their machines. Enterprise money-makers replace them. You’re confusing yourself as a pro when you’re really a DIY enthusiast. Common mistake on these forums. 

    I’m an enterprise pro software dev, as an employee and contractor I’ve worked for many household name brands over decades. Never have any of these IT depts upgraded our machines. They have a useful lifespan and are replaced. That’s how business works. As a one-man shop or enthusiast you may do upgrades, but it’s atypical. 
    As a one-man shop I bought the machine with the highest spec then replace it several years later. During the time that I had my last mac, I had to replace my Windows machine three times. In the end I stopped being stubborn and just decided to install a VM on the Mac. 

    Some laughable comments here from the usual sphincter of armchair engineers. As if Apple designing iMac Pro differently would have made any difference. Anyone stupid enough to repair any device while it’s still plugged into the mains is going to break any machine you throw at them. 


  • Reply 130 of 283
    jay_rjay_r Posts: 2member
    Both appleinsider's and Apple's reputation in the professional market is falling rapidly. 

    I gave Apple the benefit of the doubt when they seemingly abandoned the professionals that dropped so much money on the last gen Mac Pro, but at this point it's obvious that Apple simply no longer cares about MacOS and the professional users. 

    In 2007 Apple was leagues above the competition in both OS and HW (first Intel Mac Pro + 30" cinema display) when it came to workstations. These days I can't imagine buying anything from them except a tablet or macbook. 

    The video is approaching 2 million views, btw.  
    edited April 19
  • Reply 131 of 283
    RougnRougn Posts: 1member
    You got to love how biased this article is. It first tries to discredit the youtube channel and under estimates its accomplishments and credibility.

    Ya...I guess 5.6 million subscribers IS more then a million subscribers however clearly it is worded to make it sound like it was barely a million.

    Two: This is linus tech tips and anyone in the technology field is aware of them. They are very respected for their honesty and their skills. Yes there are running jokes but through and through it is clear the COMPANY ((Not channel they are a full fledge company with a legal department so again trying to discredit their worth)) has the skills and resources to handle what they where doing. How do we know this? Well lets see what they have been doing from being flown out to do reviews on all the latest techs to helping build the largest super computer in canada. Let me resay that: He was trusted in helping assemble the largest super computer in Canada. That is the level his skill is on. You might say oh well it was just plugging in ram and blah blah blah however if he screwed something up it would take a long while to discover WHERE the issue was which would result in thousands of dollars in man hours and lost revenue. That means it is clear that company trusts him to be good and not damage anything.

    Three: It was damaged not by them trying to do "lolz i do stuff" like this suggests. No. It was damaged while they where taking it apart for a review on the product. Showing the components and how it looks. You know much like the Ifixit picture that is posted in this article. 

    Four: It is funny the article is adding in more damage to the computer then is revealed. Even going as far as to claim the motherboard COULD be damage in the beginning and by the end of the article talking as if it is a fact the motherboard is broken and listing crazy pricing for repairs. 5600 dollars on a 4999 computer. I dont by that for a minute and I will explain why right now: The only reason repairs start costing more then a new product is when the parts are so hard to come by AND there is an extreme shortage of people who can do the repair. This is one of the latest products which means parts are being mass producted actively and a responsible company would be reserving a portion of components for this exact reason. 

    Next: The claim that by the end of it they are losing that much on repairs...No. I dont buy it lets say they DID have to repair it and ALL that was true. Do you know what apple would do? Give a new computer and do a free software/memory transfer. Seriously it costs them at most 4.2k to make the product so by giving them a new computer would save them 1.4k a repair. And no computer company would make it cheaper to give out a brand new computer product then to do basic repairs and frankly that is what this is. A basic repair. Replace the screen. IF by some chance the motherboard was completely broken ((I find unlikely)) that is still easy and frankly not that bad. At most ((and again at most)) 600 dollars for the motherboard ((asus rampage one of the most expensive motherboards at the moment and remember thats buying 3rd party apple isnt going to charge themselves customer price)). Lets say 200 for the screen that is only 800 dollars for the whole repair for parts. Why? Because most of apples cost comes from the mark up of 1: Paying for their Research and Development Department and 2: Paying for the name brand. 3: One of the most expensive components ((the CPU)) couldnt have been damaged as it had its cooler on. 

    Pair this up with the fact they asked ok. If you cant do the repair can we get the parts so WE can do the repair? This means the argument that even the fast technician would cost them money is voided. They are now being asked "Hey I screwed up my computer can i please buy stuff from you so I can repair it?". And the answer is no. No you may not. The only option out there is to buy a brand new one. Do not argue we are Apple. The article made fun of his analogy about driving a car into a pole saying it is not the same but really it is. In both situation something happened to the product the manufactorers would not recommend. In both situations the product is not able to work. In both situations there is no solution on how to proceed with the product other then buying brand new.

    And finally: This ties perfectly into their fight against right to repair. They do not want anyone to have the ability to repair their products. They will not sell parts to anyone and not have licensed 3rd party repair technicians anymore. Imagine again your car. You only option is to go to the dealership for everything and pay their price with no negotiation. From tire rotations to oil changes. That is what apple wants.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 132 of 283
    Is AppleInsider trying to get a job at Apple’s legal team?

    It’s pretty bad Apple didn’t repair the iMac. It’s a premium, expensive machine and not repairing it is just bad customer service. Whatever AppleInsider writes (in too many words).
    They were willing to pay for it. Whatever is in their terms of service, this is pretty bad. 


    When you run a business, you need to tune out all the noise and concentrate on the signal. The fact of the matter is that these guys willingly screwed up the Mac. That is against Apple's ToS for repair and warranty. A supposed outrage over the Internet and knee-jerk reactions about Apple screwing this guys should not come into play with what Apple is obligated to do.

    Several posters have already mentioned how the Mac was probably beyond meaningful repair. Apple was well within its rights to refuse repairing the device.

    As others have already mentioned, if you have an iMac Pro and the screen cracked accidently, Apple would repair it for you. The cost would be determined by your AppleCare+ or insurance. But Apple would not refuse to repair the Mac.


    The guys were beyond stupid for tinkering with the Mac without even unplugging it. Why should Apple pay for their stupidity?

    These idiots should just man up and move on.

  • Reply 133 of 283
    jay_rjay_r Posts: 2member
    Is AppleInsider trying to get a job at Apple’s legal team?

    It’s pretty bad Apple didn’t repair the iMac. It’s a premium, expensive machine and not repairing it is just bad customer service. Whatever AppleInsider writes (in too many words).
    They were willing to pay for it. Whatever is in their terms of service, this is pretty bad. 


    When you run a business, you need to tune out all the noise and concentrate on the signal. The fact of the matter is that these guys willingly screwed up the Mac. That is against Apple's ToS for repair and warranty. A supposed outrage over the Internet and knee-jerk reactions about Apple screwing this guys should not come into play with what Apple is obligated to do.

    Several posters have already mentioned how the Mac was probably beyond meaningful repair. Apple was well within its rights to refuse repairing the device.

    As others have already mentioned, if you have an iMac Pro and the screen cracked accidently, Apple would repair it for you. The cost would be determined by your AppleCare+ or insurance. But Apple would not refuse to repair the Mac.


    The guys were beyond stupid for tinkering with the Mac without even unplugging it. Why should Apple pay for their stupidity?

    These idiots should just man up and move on.

    This is such a ridiculously submissive viewpoint. 

    If you can put in massive turbos in a new Lamborghini, blow up the engine and then order a new one I don't see why one of the world's largest electronics corporations isn't able to sell some computer parts. LTT isn't asking for gifts or guarantees, just the fucking parts. 

    The new Mac Pro is pretty much DOA already. Like who's going to drop 10-20k on a machine after all the ugly stories regarding pro users and the general neglect of Mac OS over the last years? 
    edited April 19 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 134 of 283
    I see a LOT of comments about it not being financially viable to repair which is understandable, but that wasn't the issue - the issue was the inability to repair due to lack of parts as I read it. Then subsequent third party repairer unwilling to risk it's yet-to-be-gotten "pro status". 

    Generally, repairs are NOT dismissed if they exceed the device value - for example. I have a brother printer in my office I picked up for £92+vat. It recently developed a fault with the fuser unit, I was quoted a minimum of £90 + parts + vat for the repair - easily exceeding the cost of a NEW unit WITH TONERS.

    Also, where the hell you finding $100 per hour minimum for computer repair guys!? That seems ridiculously extortionate to me - that's a barely above minimum-wage job here.
  • Reply 135 of 283
    Ironhide1990Ironhide1990 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    So you have an accident in your car, break its windshield and go to your dealer and say please repair it and he says we can't, we don't know what else is broken please buy a new car ?? How is this a fair world? Writing something in terms and condition dose not make it morally right.
    edited April 19 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 136 of 283
    LeadeaterLeadeater Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Rougn said:
    helping build the largest super computer in canada. Let me resay that: He was trusted in helping assemble the largest super computer in Canada. That is the level his skill is on. You might say oh well it was just plugging in ram and blah blah blah however if he screwed something up it would take a long while to discover WHERE the issue was which would result in thousands of dollars in man hours and lost revenue. 

    This is not an accurate description of what transpired or Linus's ability to work in such a field of IT as this. He was invited over to do a joint promotional piece about the new High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster in an observational capacity and was allowed, under very close supervision, to assemble a server.

    Linus does not have the experience or training to actually carry out that work in a normal employee capacity and makes no claims he could, he's even very clear to point out multiple times over the years he is not an expert server administrator as well.

    I do enjoy watching the content Linus and LTT as a whole put out but it's purely entertainment for me and when it comes to content pieces on servers I as a Systems Engineer have almost never agreed with anything he has done in that regard, other than the Eaton UPS he purchased.

    edited April 19
  • Reply 137 of 283
    LeadeaterLeadeater Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    Soli said:
    Jason_D said:
    foggyhill said:
    Jason_D said:
    What i found rather funny is that shortly before i'd seen Linus post this video i had been having my morning coffee with a co-worker and for whatever reason i had been telling him about Linus' original video reviewing the IMac Pro (Which obviously lead to it's damage). 1 of the points he made, was that there is no video in. So down the line when you want to upgrade you can't even get extra use out of the machine by using is as a 2nd monitor. This is a rather deliberate choice by Apple to create Forced Obsolescence. It's rather shady and definitely Anti-Consumer. This issue he's now having has the same smell of even more Forced Obsolescence.
    Another load of BS, go back to PC land, you never owned a Mac in your own damn life and just spouting to hear yourself talk.
    Just because you don't like what i said, doesn't make it BS. It was the truth and a very good point that Linus originally made about the product. 

    Attacking someones credentials as opposed to the content of what was said is a terribly weak way to try and put forth an argument. I assume you have never made a single comment about any product on earth that you have never owned, that seems just a little unlikely.
    You are correct. It's not BS because he didn't like you said, it's BS because you're claiming that including a display in a product is "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer." Not liking what you said is a result of you writing a bunch of BS.
    You tried to compare an extremely pricey desktop PC to an apple watch, apples to oranges, to try and make a point that fits your own narrative. Sooooo who's talking BS? haha
    Oh, so this is now an issue about price? So you think the $10k gold Apple Watch (which far exceeds the base price of the iMac) should have a removable display but not he $350 Apple Watch Sport? Is that the narrative you now want to press about which CE products should be required to have certain components removable so they can be placed onto other products in the future they're above some price ceiling that you decide on a whim? Where would a MacBook Pro fall since they start and stop within the range of an iMac?
    You keep saying 'removable'. Please re-read my comment before making inaccurate assertions. And the apple watch stuff is just sillyness and you know it.

    Linus' critique was that a display input would allow you to use it as a standalone monitor once you've moved from from the current internals. You could use it as a 2nd monitor to go with your new IMac for example.
    Oh, I think I got it now. You think it's "shady and definitely Anti-Consumer" that Apple isn't building inputs on all their devices. So, I should be able to say, plug in an otherwise defunct PowerBook from 1995 into my MacBook Pro and use it as an external display? Well that sure seems useful and easy to engineer¡ What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    You do realise that people can have differing opinions right? I get that you disagree and that's fine. But trying to make false analogies and misquotations to try and discredit someone else's opinion is really silly. Linus' original video was actually pretty fair and in general he doesn't play favourites, he's ripped a number of manufacturers on all sides of the fence. No one is without sin, fair critiques is how things get better for everyone.
    My comments have nothing to do with Linus. My comments are about your ridiculous claims.

    As for your "do realise that people can have differing opinions" comment, I'll let Patton Oswalt explain that to you…




    You didn't even read what i originally said properly since you went off on a wild goose chase about removable displays. So perhaps try and have an adult conversation with someone before calling them ridiculous
    Oh, I read it, and I've addressed it. I tried to give you an out on your ridiculous statements about it being "shady and definitely anti-consumer" that Apple doesn't have display inout ports on all their devices that have embedded displays, but you just keep knocking on that door. Of course, you'll want to say you're only talking about the iMac, but that misses the point of your odd declaration that Apple is shady for building devices that do specific things.

    Standard iMacs can be used in Target Display Mode which is nice when you want an extra monitor or a larger one for a MacBook/MacBook Pro or when the iMac becomes performance obsolete and you get a newer faster one. The iMac Pro does not support this, I think this is a valid complaint about the iMac Pro.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204592
  • Reply 138 of 283
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 3,405member
    Before this guy disassembled the machine did he research what he would be able to do had something gone wrong? Seems to me he has an ulterior motive or just looking for publicity. Kind of like Kyle Weins and the iFixit guys whining about Apple’s products not being user repairable. 
  • Reply 139 of 283
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 3,589administrator
    adm1 said:
    I see a LOT of comments about it not being financially viable to repair which is understandable, but that wasn't the issue - the issue was the inability to repair due to lack of parts as I read it. Then subsequent third party repairer unwilling to risk it's yet-to-be-gotten "pro status". 

    Generally, repairs are NOT dismissed if they exceed the device value - for example. I have a brother printer in my office I picked up for £92+vat. It recently developed a fault with the fuser unit, I was quoted a minimum of £90 + parts + vat for the repair - easily exceeding the cost of a NEW unit WITH TONERS.

    Also, where the hell you finding $100 per hour minimum for computer repair guys!? That seems ridiculously extortionate to me - that's a barely above minimum-wage job here.
    AASP DC average is about $180 per hour. NYC is 160, Boston is $120. LA is $220. These are all charged by the organization, not what the tech gets.
    edited April 19 Leadeater
  • Reply 140 of 283
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 3,589administrator
    Rougn said:
    You got to love how biased this article is. It first tries to discredit the youtube channel and under estimates its accomplishments and credibility.

    Ya...I guess 5.6 million subscribers IS more then a million subscribers however clearly it is worded to make it sound like it was barely a million.

    Two: This is linus tech tips and anyone in the technology field is aware of them. They are very respected for their honesty and their skills. Yes there are running jokes but through and through it is clear the COMPANY ((Not channel they are a full fledge company with a legal department so again trying to discredit their worth)) has the skills and resources to handle what they where doing. How do we know this? Well lets see what they have been doing from being flown out to do reviews on all the latest techs to helping build the largest super computer in canada. Let me resay that: He was trusted in helping assemble the largest super computer in Canada. That is the level his skill is on. You might say oh well it was just plugging in ram and blah blah blah however if he screwed something up it would take a long while to discover WHERE the issue was which would result in thousands of dollars in man hours and lost revenue. That means it is clear that company trusts him to be good and not damage anything.

    Three: It was damaged not by them trying to do "lolz i do stuff" like this suggests. No. It was damaged while they where taking it apart for a review on the product. Showing the components and how it looks. You know much like the Ifixit picture that is posted in this article. 

    Four: It is funny the article is adding in more damage to the computer then is revealed. Even going as far as to claim the motherboard COULD be damage in the beginning and by the end of the article talking as if it is a fact the motherboard is broken and listing crazy pricing for repairs. 5600 dollars on a 4999 computer. I dont by that for a minute and I will explain why right now: The only reason repairs start costing more then a new product is when the parts are so hard to come by AND there is an extreme shortage of people who can do the repair. This is one of the latest products which means parts are being mass producted actively and a responsible company would be reserving a portion of components for this exact reason. 

    Next: The claim that by the end of it they are losing that much on repairs...No. I dont buy it lets say they DID have to repair it and ALL that was true. Do you know what apple would do? Give a new computer and do a free software/memory transfer. Seriously it costs them at most 4.2k to make the product so by giving them a new computer would save them 1.4k a repair. And no computer company would make it cheaper to give out a brand new computer product then to do basic repairs and frankly that is what this is. A basic repair. Replace the screen. IF by some chance the motherboard was completely broken ((I find unlikely)) that is still easy and frankly not that bad. At most ((and again at most)) 600 dollars for the motherboard ((asus rampage one of the most expensive motherboards at the moment and remember thats buying 3rd party apple isnt going to charge themselves customer price)). Lets say 200 for the screen that is only 800 dollars for the whole repair for parts. Why? Because most of apples cost comes from the mark up of 1: Paying for their Research and Development Department and 2: Paying for the name brand. 3: One of the most expensive components ((the CPU)) couldnt have been damaged as it had its cooler on. 

    Pair this up with the fact they asked ok. If you cant do the repair can we get the parts so WE can do the repair? This means the argument that even the fast technician would cost them money is voided. They are now being asked "Hey I screwed up my computer can i please buy stuff from you so I can repair it?". And the answer is no. No you may not. The only option out there is to buy a brand new one. Do not argue we are Apple. The article made fun of his analogy about driving a car into a pole saying it is not the same but really it is. In both situation something happened to the product the manufactorers would not recommend. In both situations the product is not able to work. In both situations there is no solution on how to proceed with the product other then buying brand new.

    And finally: This ties perfectly into their fight against right to repair. They do not want anyone to have the ability to repair their products. They will not sell parts to anyone and not have licensed 3rd party repair technicians anymore. Imagine again your car. You only option is to go to the dealership for everything and pay their price with no negotiation. From tire rotations to oil changes. That is what apple wants.
    Welcome to AI, LTT fan! People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'm not expecting you to come back and read the response, but here it is anyway.

    Anyway:

    1) Nope, your interpretation is wrong.
    2) Irrelevant, and inaccurate. They visited the super computer, the same way that I visited the G5 cluster in VT. They don't claim that they're server techs.
    3) It didn't suggest that. THIS video was played for the laughs, and "in-jokes." iFixit didn't break theirs.
    4) Nope. They fessed up to it. Whether you "by" it for a minute is irrelevant, because we checked, and those are the costs that would get charged.
    5) What? Nobody said anything about losing money on repairs, and regardless of what you want, the costs are accurate. As very clearly stated, I didn't include the CPU, and if you think a CPU can't get damaged because it has a cooler on, you have another thing coming.
    6) Sorry you didn't like our analogy. I guess you like LTT's better -- but again, he didn't drive the iMac into a pole during normal operation
    7) Apple has always been fine with licensed third-party technicians. There is no sign that is going away.
    edited April 19
Sign In or Register to comment.