How to use your iPhone to create your own passes and ditch your wallet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    mike1 said:
    Driver's license, registration and insurance cards will probably be the last hurdle. After all, who wants to hand over their phone to a cop when getting a ticket. The solution may be a 2D code (like a QR) that an officer or other ID checker would scan that would give them the info without handing over the phone.

As I utilize Wallet more and more, I've been using one of those money clip things that can hold my license, registration etc., a card or two and some cash. Much easier to carry around.
    I forgot about insurance cards! I actually use a digital one of those as well. I recently got pulled over (for my registration sticker's placement) and I showed him my insurance card on my phone, he glanced at it, and moved on. So I didn't actually have to give him my phone.
    What about ATM cards? How do I use Wallet on a typical bank's machine that dispenses cash?
    Chase also supports cardless ATMs
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    cgWerks said:
    linkman said:
    One potential problem with replacing loyalty cards or passes with a phone version is that the retailer might use a laser scanner. Laser scanners only support 1-D barcodes and also cannot scan any type of code on a screen (I'm not sure about OLED screens though).
    I also thought some of my cards didn't have bar codes, but I just checked and they all do. However, for places like the library (with self-checkout machine) or Costco (where you show your card to get in), I'd have to try it to see if they'll accept on-screen. But, I would like to shrink down my wallet, especially with loyalty cards. Most of them use our phone-number, so I tend not to carry them anyway. But if they could scan them vs giving phone number out, that would be nice.
    I use my digital card at Sam's no issue. I can't speak for Costco though.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 35
    For my physical cards I  have secrid: https://goo.gl/images/8hiFEC
    That and my iPhone is all I wear these days.. I'd just recommend the one with leather pouch.. without it slips too easily out of your pocket..
    it holds just six cards:
    - identity card 
    - driver's license 
    - debet card 
    - credit card
    - metro card 
    - city-bike-rental card
    edited May 2018 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Anyone try this with museum membership cards?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    Wow, awesome article. Wasn’t even aware Pass2U and Scanbot existed. Thank you!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    cgWerks said:

I think that is about how far i got too. I can't remember if it had an option to setup a non Facebook/Twitter account (as either of those would make it a no-go), but then I said... why do I need an account? I think I'll just use an app that stores pictures securely, works with TouchID, and snap the front/back.
    Would you by chance have a couple of examples of apps that can do that? That seems like a pretty great idea too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    mike1 said:
    Driver's license, registration and insurance cards will probably be the last hurdle. After all, who wants to hand over their phone to a cop when getting a ticket. The solution may be a 2D code (like a QR) that an officer or other ID checker would scan that would give them the info without handing over the phone.

As I utilize Wallet more and more, I've been using one of those money clip things that can hold my license, registration etc., a card or two and some cash. Much easier to carry around.
    I forgot about insurance cards! I actually use a digital one of those as well. I recently got pulled over (for my registration sticker's placement) and I showed him my insurance card on my phone, he glanced at it, and moved on. So I didn't actually have to give him my phone.
    What about ATM cards? How do I use Wallet on a typical bank's machine that dispenses cash?
    Chase uses card-free in some ATMs. I know others are starting to roll it out. Getting there. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Cardstar is another app I have used for membership cards for years, not mentioned in this article...
  • Reply 29 of 35
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    A bunch of Wells Fargo ATMs take Apple Pay now. Bank of America promised it last year, but I don't know for sure how far along they are.
    My BoA banks in LA all have Apple Pay.

The article mentions that in a big city 90% of establishments accept Apple Pay, but I live in Los Angeles, you may have heard of it and in my experience it is probably less than 5% accept Apple Pay payments.

I could get pretty close ditching my wallet but still need my medical insurance card and drivers license and at least one credit card. I do travel internationally so can't really depend on a contactless ATMs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    alphamanalphaman Posts: 17member
    bonobob said:
    I downloaded Pass2u, and started to create a pass for a loyalty card. The app wanted me to login using my Facebook id (or one of Google or Twitter, I forget which). At this point, I closed and deleted the app.
    Yup, same here.
    The Pass2U app is indeed invasive. Simple example: create a Costco card -- there's a template for it, so all you should have to do is enter your info from your physical Costco card, right?
    Nope, it makes you log in to either Facebook or GoOgle, stating:
    Choose one you would like to log in
    In order to recognize the relative information of passes, you need to log in to use.
    I don't trust it, and am appalled that AppleInsider would push such an invasive app without thoroughly vetting it and their privacy policy and find out what the relationship is between forcing login to ad-based social networks and programming a virtual loyalty card. (Other than the obvious to sell your PII to advertisers.)
    Check the reviews, especially all the 1-star reviews. Most folks are complaining about this, but the developer's responses are weak.
    Deleted.
    edited May 2018 cgWerksjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tehgeotehgeo Posts: 10member
    In terms of loyalty cards and the like, you’ve overlooked a few other options. 

I’ve used CardStar since the very beginning (one of the early apps I downloaded once Apple finally turned the AppStore on).

It manages its own database of cards and I haven’t found much it won’t track (other than mag strip cards for obvious reasons).

Has a scanner, and templates for most vendors, and generic template for the rest. 

It has a lot of long time users, and was highly regarded by its users. (Almost all of the negative reviews seem to be long-time users, upset at changes within an update.)

It doesnt talk to Apple Wallet (at this time), so it does mean two apps. But, the purpose of the artical was “how to ditch physical stuff that one carries”, not “how much stuff can one cram in Apple Wallet.”

There are other apps out there that have about the same features. I just mention the one I’ve used that works great. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    For my physical cards I  have secrid: https://goo.gl/images/8hiFEC
    That and my iPhone is all I wear these days.. I'd just recommend the one with leather pouch.. without it slips too easily out of your pocket..
    it holds just six cards ...
    Thanks, I like that idea. Looks like a nice product.

flashfan207 said:
    Would you by chance have a couple of examples of apps that can do that? That seems like a pretty great idea too. 
    There are tons of them, but one that might be overkill, but I've found useful (and am technically impressed with their encryption methods), is called The Vault.

It can store text, documents (with an add-on), images, video, etc. and you embed images on pages. You can organize things. It also can double as a password wallet, though I like apps dedicated to that better (like 1Password or PasswordWallet). It has a Mac version, and sync capabilities, etc.

But, I like the idea of Pass2U where it is built with the purpose of displaying cards and storing them... but there isn't any reason such an app should require an account or sign-in. It just needs to store, display, and preferably encrypt (hooked to TouchID).

Cardstar is another app I have used for membership cards for years, not mentioned in this article...
    Does it require any kind of account? sign-in? or 'talk back' to some server? (If you happen to know.)

Unfortunately, a lot of App Store apps are kind of like Facebook, where you (and your data) are the product.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Is there ANY app that will store my loyalty cards (Food Lion, Library, etc.) that works like now crippled 'Apple Wallet' App ? (It's crippled, because I have to look for an alternative app... the necessary functionality USED TO BE in the old version of the app, but not now). I'm fearful of security of Pass2U, etc. I don't want an 'account' somewhere on the web, I want all data stored ONLY on the iPhone. Why would Apple not include this functionality?!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    BtheB said:
    Is there ANY app that will store my loyalty cards (Food Lion, Library, etc.) that works like now crippled 'Apple Wallet' App ? (It's crippled, because I have to look for an alternative app... the necessary functionality USED TO BE in the old version of the app, but not now). I'm fearful of security of Pass2U, etc. I don't want an 'account' somewhere on the web, I want all data stored ONLY on the iPhone. Why would Apple not include this functionality?!
    Yeah, Apple Wallet is kind of useless, as it only works with certain authorized services. And, like you, I haven't really found another app I trust to store everything else that is devoted to that task and properly featured (there are lots of 'vault' type apps you could put them in, I suppose). However, I have just enough cards where you actually need the card (like Costco, where I have to swipe the card to get gas) that I have to have the wallet anyway.

So, even if they ever solve the ID stuff (government), too many stores are still behind enough to leave the wallet. And, if I have to bring the wallet anyway, then it's just less hassle to use it, rather than messing with apps.