Rumor: 6.5-inch OLED iPhone roughly same size as iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12 supports horizontal...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chasm said:
    These speculations are based heavily on Ming-Chi Kuo's incredibly safe guesses that Apple is all-in on FaceID because it's so much more secure than TouchID, and that Apple will make a Plus-iPhone-sized iPhone X, leaving TouchID on only the iPhone SE (2?) and the iPhone 8 line for for most of 2019. The only real mystery remaining is what they will call these iPhones.
    Ah, we lament the loss of “Well-Connected”, and wonder at the timing of his resignation. It seems that he left his post a few days before Apple announced sales of the iPhoneX that were in complete contrast to Well-Connected’s predicted sales collapse which he gleaned from his tea-leaf reading of the supply chain. 

In a year’s time, a proper news site will investigate this and discover that a large number of leaks in the supply chain were fired the day before Kuo resigned. 

h2p
  • Reply 22 of 48
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Does it make sense that the X would become the smallest of the three phones? I thought that in the modern Apple world, bigger = better?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Oh, and congrats to Daniel for his honourable mention in Jean-Louis Gassée’s Monday Note. 

https://mondaynote.com/apple-numbers-q1-2018-surprise-f73b3219fc6

Well worth reading. 

And here’s Rene Ritchie testing his comedy chops in a video that tears into the dishonesty in tech journalism. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwHlKbfX_0Y

edited May 2018 tmayh2pbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 24 of 48
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    It sure appears that Apple is all in on FaceID II for all new devices, sans, of course, the SE update. I'm kind of pining for Pencil support on the 6.5 inch, but that is likely a bridge too far. I do expect some modest improvements to the cameras, and of course, to the internals.
    Yep. That means I'll probably get an iPhone 8 just before the new phones become available. TouchId is just much more convenient for me especially when out on the Motorcycle and wearing a full face crash helmet.
    One of my riding mates has an 'X' and rues the day that he bought it.
    Sorry Apple, FaceID is a step too far for me.
    Completely agree. Think I’ll upgrade to final Touch ID variants at next upgrade. Can’t help feeling Face ID is a bit like the G4 iMac. Jobs claimed they wouldn’t mount the drive vertically, hence the flower pot design. But as soon as they could we got the G5 and a form factor that largely survives to this day. Can’t help thinking Face ID is only because they couldn’t embed a fingerprint scanner into the screen. I do hope they revisit thus decision when the tech allows. 
    You must new here. 

Apple has already stated that has been working on FaceID for five years. TouchID was a stopgap until they got FaceID right. And it’s unlikely that Apple, sitting on the about a quarter of a trillion in cash, and with the ability to buy or license any piece of tech without causing a hiccup in their balance sheet, would have a problem getting hold of tech (fingerprint sensor under the screen) that was demonstrated before FaceID was released. 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/face-id-is-unstoppable/

Folk need to accept it: TouchID is not in Apple’s long-term future. Instead of waiting for Apple to “revisit the decision” they need to get with the program or move on. The iPhoneX is there top-selling phone so why would they go back?
    No I’ve been posting here certainly since I got my first G3 iMac and using X Public Beta. I’d just recalled reports prior to the iPhone X that Apple was struggling to implement the scanner in the screen and speculation that Face ID was implemented partly as a response to it. As you say elsewhere, we all have different uses. I don’t need to get with the program, I’d be happy with an iPhone 8 or current iPad Pro with Touch ID in preference to Face ID, as well as in iPad with bezels in preference to a possible edge to edge screen. 
    xamax
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    It sure appears that Apple is all in on FaceID II for all new devices, sans, of course, the SE update. I'm kind of pining for Pencil support on the 6.5 inch, but that is likely a bridge too far. I do expect some modest improvements to the cameras, and of course, to the internals.
    Yep. That means I'll probably get an iPhone 8 just before the new phones become available. TouchId is just much more convenient for me especially when out on the Motorcycle and wearing a full face crash helmet.
    Completely agree. Think I’ll upgrade to final Touch ID variants at next upgrade. Can’t help feeling Face ID is a bit like the G4 iMac. Jobs claimed they wouldn’t mount the drive vertically, hence the flower pot design. But as soon as they could we got the G5 and a form factor that largely survives to this day. Can’t help thinking Face ID is only because they couldn’t embed a fingerprint scanner into the screen. I do hope they revisit thus decision when the tech allows. 
    You must new here. 

Apple has already stated that has been working on FaceID for five years. TouchID was a stopgap until they got FaceID right. And it’s unlikely that Apple, sitting on the about a quarter of a trillion in cash, and with the ability to buy or license any piece of tech without causing a hiccup in their balance sheet, would have a problem getting hold of tech (fingerprint sensor under the screen) that was demonstrated before FaceID was released. 

Folk need to accept it: TouchID is not in Apple’s long-term future. Instead of waiting for Apple to “revisit the decision” they need to get with the program or move on. The iPhoneX is there top-selling phone so why would they go back?
    Thanks for the Gizmodo link too. However, is the guy right? I thought that with both TouchID and FaceID the data was only stored on the device, not on Apple servers or systems?
    netmagexamax
  • Reply 26 of 48
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Oh, and congrats to Daniel for his honourable mention in Jean-Louis Gassée’s Monday Note. 

https://mondaynote.com/apple-numbers-q1-2018-surprise-f73b3219fc6

Well worth reading. 

And here’s Rene Ritchie testing his comedy chops in a video that tears into the dishonesty in tech journalism. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwHlKbfX_0Y

I like the first link.  Just like Daniel, he is spot on.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Horizontal faceID? We know what that means..faceID for iPad. We want edge to egde OLED display with no notch..dream iPad..
    How does the iPad get rid of the notch?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    hentaiboy said:
    Does it make sense that the X would become the smallest of the three phones? I thought that in the modern Apple world, bigger = better?
    They should make the X smaller really push what is possible..
  • Reply 29 of 48
    I downsized from a 7 plus to an X. No regrets, but if they offer a 6.5" OLED phablet I'm all over it. I definitely prefer big screen phones. I do miss touch ID and prefer it over Face ID, but it isn't a deal breaker.
    h2p
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Rayz2016 said:
    chasm said:
    These speculations are based heavily on Ming-Chi Kuo's incredibly safe guesses that Apple is all-in on FaceID because it's so much more secure than TouchID, and that Apple will make a Plus-iPhone-sized iPhone X, leaving TouchID on only the iPhone SE (2?) and the iPhone 8 line for for most of 2019. The only real mystery remaining is what they will call these iPhones.
    Ah, we lament the loss of “Well-Connected”, and wonder at the timing of his resignation. It seems that he left his post a few days before Apple announced sales of the iPhoneX that were in complete contrast to Well-Connected’s predicted sales collapse which he gleaned from his tea-leaf reading of the supply chain. 

In a year’s time, a proper news site will investigate this and discover that a large number of leaks in the supply chain were fired the day before Kuo resigned. 

We've already speculated on this a bit on last week's podcast episode, and myself in another venue. There's no good way right now to see what's happened -- but I suspect based on what I already know that February is when the firings took place -- and that Gurman and Kuo shared a source.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    That plan will likely cost you $100...
    The 8 will almost certainly still be sold new by Apple after the next release, but typically Apple drops the price of last year's phone by about $100....

That said, the iPhones have achieved so much power, even the 7 is likely to have a prolonged useful life.  So, if it's features meet your needs, you can save some cash by buying 2nd, 3rd generation equipment.
    h2p
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    tmay said:
    So, no gloves? And why would you need to unlock the phone while riding. Probably easier to flip up the shield while stopped at a light.
    king editor the gratenetmageh2pjcs2305
  • Reply 33 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hentaiboy said:
    No, I don't think so.   Maybe in the Samsung world of gimmicks and gadgets, but not in Apple's world of using careful, quality design to make a difference in people's lives.

Yes, bigger costs more but that's because it cost more to make.  In addition, in the Plus sized phones, Apple is able to put in a pricier, better camera. 

But that does not mean that they see it as "bigger = better".  Quite the contrary.  For years Apple, under Jobs, held off marketing a Plus sized phone because Steve didn't think it would be an improvement.   And, to this day, Apple sells a variety of phones under a variety of price points.

The SE is a good example:   Apple took an old design and sold it at a discounted price.  But the price was discounted more because it was an older design using older components than because it was small.  In fact, it was small because that's the size of all Apple's phones when the design was created.

To this day, it is an ongoing debate whether the SE is an ongoing success because it's cheap (for an iPhone) or because it's small.   I would suggest that it's both.   Some buyers like the price and some like the size.

------------------
    But, that said:   I see a market for an SE sized phone with a full face sized (X style) screen.   That provides the small external form factor with a much larger screen -- probably close to the size of an iPhone 8. 
    mattinoz
  • Reply 34 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    iPhone could be 0.2mm thicker than the existing handset

That's a deal breaker.
    You are being funny, right? My guess is that it is an insignificant number of people that use their iPhones without a case of some kind. Cases vary greatly in thickness and in that context .2mm rounds to 0. 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    You must new here. 

No I’ve been posting here certainly since I got my first G3 iMac and using X Public Beta. I’d just recalled reports prior to the iPhone X that Apple was struggling to implement the scanner in the screen and speculation that Face ID was implemented partly as a response to it. As you say elsewhere, we all have different uses. I don’t need to get with the program, I’d be happy with an iPhone 8 or current iPad Pro with Touch ID in preference to Face ID, as well as in iPad with bezels in preference to a possible edge to edge screen. 
    Fair comment. I apologise for being a tad rude. 

No, the speculation turned out to be false, like 99% of everything written about Apple. 

Soon after the release of iPhoneX, Apple said they’d stopped working on TouchID a year ago – once they knew they could get FaceID working. 
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysh2p
  • Reply 36 of 48
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member

The SE is a good example:   Apple took an old design and sold it at a discounted price.  But the price was discounted more because it was an older design using older components than because it was small.  In fact, it was small because that's the size of all Apple's phones when the design was created.
    The problem with your speculation is it isn't based on facts. When the iPhone SE was launched, it used the current components from the current flagship iPhone 6s, not older components, which surprised many speculating that Apple would make a smaller phone cheaper by using older parts.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    netmage said:

The problem with your speculation is it isn't based on facts. When the iPhone SE was launched, it used the current components from the current flagship iPhone 6s, not older components, which surprised many speculating that Apple would make a smaller phone cheaper by using older parts.
    Is that accurate? I seem to recall some current and some older components in a casing and with a display that seemed older, to me.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    tmay said:
    You'll likely be disappointed. Apple execs have gone on record that once they got Face ID working they decided to forget about fingerprints and go this way instead.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    You must new here. 

No, the speculation turned out to be false, like 99% of everything written about Apple. 

Soon after the release of iPhoneX, Apple said they’d stopped working on TouchID a year ago – once they knew they could get FaceID working. 
    Not at all - I maybe a poster from some way back but recognise I don't have the expertise of many of you here. Thanks for your help. And re. the point on the Gizmodo article - am I right that the Touch ID and Face ID data are stored locally on the device, not on Apple's servers as the piece claims? I thought that was at least something to reassure privacy concerns.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    You must new here. 

Not at all - I maybe a poster from some way back but recognise I don't have the expertise of many of you here. Thanks for your help. And re. the point on the Gizmodo article - am I right that the Touch ID and Face ID data are stored locally on the device, not on Apple's servers as the piece claims? I thought that was at least something to reassure privacy concerns.
    Touch ID and Face ID are both stored locally on the device and never on a server. Apple was clear about this from Day 1 of Touch ID so I'd be surprised if the article said otherwise?