Rumor: 6.5-inch OLED iPhone roughly same size as iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12 supports horizontal...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    It sure appears that Apple is all in on FaceID II for all new devices, sans, of course, the SE update. I'm kind of pining for Pencil support on the 6.5 inch, but that is likely a bridge too far. I do expect some modest improvements to the cameras, and of course, to the internals.
    Yep. That means I'll probably get an iPhone 8 just before the new phones become available. TouchId is just much more convenient for me especially when out on the Motorcycle and wearing a full face crash helmet.
    One of my riding mates has an 'X' and rues the day that he bought it.
    Sorry Apple, FaceID is a step too far for me.
    Completely agree. Think I’ll upgrade to final Touch ID variants at next upgrade. Can’t help feeling Face ID is a bit like the G4 iMac. Jobs claimed they wouldn’t mount the drive vertically, hence the flower pot design. But as soon as they could we got the G5 and a form factor that largely survives to this day. Can’t help thinking Face ID is only because they couldn’t embed a fingerprint scanner into the screen. I do hope they revisit thus decision when the tech allows. 
    You must new here. 

Apple has already stated that has been working on FaceID for five years. TouchID was a stopgap until they got FaceID right. And it’s unlikely that Apple, sitting on the about a quarter of a trillion in cash, and with the ability to buy or license any piece of tech without causing a hiccup in their balance sheet, would have a problem getting hold of tech (fingerprint sensor under the screen) that was demonstrated before FaceID was released. 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/face-id-is-unstoppable/

Folk need to accept it: TouchID is not in Apple’s long-term future. Instead of waiting for Apple to “revisit the decision” they need to get with the program or move on. The iPhoneX is there top-selling phone so why would they go back?
    No I’ve been posting here certainly since I got my first G3 iMac and using X Public Beta. I’d just recalled reports prior to the iPhone X that Apple was struggling to implement the scanner in the screen and speculation that Face ID was implemented partly as a response to it. As you say elsewhere, we all have different uses. I don’t need to get with the program, I’d be happy with an iPhone 8 or current iPad Pro with Touch ID in preference to Face ID, as well as in iPad with bezels in preference to a possible edge to edge screen. 
    Fair comment. I apologise for being a tad rude. 

No, the speculation turned out to be false, like 99% of everything written about Apple. 

Soon after the release of iPhoneX, Apple said they’d stopped working on TouchID a year ago – once they knew they could get FaceID working. 
    Not at all - I maybe a poster from some way back but recognise I don't have the expertise of many of you here. Thanks for your help. And re. the point on the Gizmodo article - am I right that the Touch ID and Face ID data are stored locally on the device, not on Apple's servers as the piece claims? I thought that was at least something to reassure privacy concerns.
    Touch ID and Face ID are both stored locally on the device and never on a server. Apple was clear about this from Day 1 of Touch ID so I'd be surprised if the article said otherwise?
    Yes you're right on rereading, the piece is a little vaguer than I reckoned. However, he does say "It sucks even more when that technology is so good, so life-changing that even the most discerning consumer sets that anxiety aside and says, "Who cares if Apple owns detailed biometric data about my face?" That's what Face ID has done to me with the iPhone X. And if you're not already using it, you're next." While later observing, "Face ID works so well, I stopped thinking about the privacy implications last Thanksgiving." 

Thanks for confirming re. the local storage.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Not against sizes of iPhone X or X Plus or 8 Plus or SE but someday hope Apple offers iPhone X in iPhone 8 frame. Not small like SE and not large like 8 Plus or X. Acceptable LCD over OLED long as cheaper. iPhone that gives more screen area(edge-to-edge) with frame size that is easy to handle in daily usage. If you look around, iPhone users do like iPhone 8 size.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 43 of 48
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    wood1208 said:
    Not against sizes of iPhone X or X Plus or 8 Plus or SE but someday hope Apple offers iPhone X in iPhone 8 frame. Not small like SE and not large like 8 Plus or X. Acceptable LCD over OLED long as cheaper. iPhone that gives more screen area(edge-to-edge) with frame size that is easy to handle in daily usage. If you look around, iPhone users do like iPhone 8 size.
    Agreed. I’d be up for this. Maybe even OLED with Touch ID. But certainly that for, factor and the X or 8 Plus camera. 
  • Reply 44 of 48
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    But that does not mean that they see it as "bigger = better".  Quite the contrary.  For years Apple, under Jobs, held off marketing a Plus sized phone because Steve didn't think it would be an improvement.   And, to this day, Apple sells a variety of phones under a variety of price points.
    I was referring to screen size. Is the popularity of the X not partially driven by the fact that it has the biggest screen size of all iPhones? According to this report in 2018 it will have the smallest (SE excluded). How does Apple market their premium offering with the smallest screen?
  • Reply 45 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    hentaiboy said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    But that does not mean that they see it as "bigger = better".  Quite the contrary.  For years Apple, under Jobs, held off marketing a Plus sized phone because Steve didn't think it would be an improvement.   And, to this day, Apple sells a variety of phones under a variety of price points.
    I was referring to screen size. Is the popularity of the X not partially driven by the fact that it has the biggest screen size of all iPhones? According to this report in 2018 it will have the smallest (SE excluded). How does Apple market their premium offering with the smallest screen?
    "How does Apple market their premium offering with the smallest screen?"

Performance & features.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hentaiboy said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    I was referring to screen size. Is the popularity of the X not partially driven by the fact that it has the biggest screen size of all iPhones?
    The area of the iPhone X is less than the Plus sized iPhones, and that's without even considering the loss of screen from the notch or rounded corners. I'm not even sure it's longer on the diagonal since Apple measures beyond the rounded corners to a nonexistent right angled corner. I think the best you can say is that popularity is partially because it's a larger usable display than the 4.7" in the same class (i.e.: with the same display width and essentially the same casing footprint). For me, it wasn't even an option because I didn't want to go a smaller display.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Rayz2016 said:
    chasm said:
    These speculations are based heavily on Ming-Chi Kuo's incredibly safe guesses that Apple is all-in on FaceID because it's so much more secure than TouchID, and that Apple will make a Plus-iPhone-sized iPhone X, leaving TouchID on only the iPhone SE (2?) and the iPhone 8 line for for most of 2019. The only real mystery remaining is what they will call these iPhones.
    Ah, we lament the loss of “Well-Connected”, and wonder at the timing of his resignation. It seems that he left his post a few days before Apple announced sales of the iPhoneX that were in complete contrast to Well-Connected’s predicted sales collapse which he gleaned from his tea-leaf reading of the supply chain. 

In a year’s time, a proper news site will investigate this and discover that a large number of leaks in the supply chain were fired the day before Kuo resigned. 

We've already speculated on this a bit on last week's podcast episode, and myself in another venue. There's no good way right now to see what's happened -- but I suspect based on what I already know that February is when the firings took place -- and that Gurman and Kuo shared a source.
    Hmm, wonder what technique Apple used to figure out who was leaking here. If it was planting false information, it could be intriguing figuring out what the false info it was. Maybe the meeting regarding delay of new features so that optimizations and bug fixes can could be done? That was an unusual rumor. Marzipan (which is a bit of nothing burger)? ARM Macs (also a nothing burger)?

Kuo and Gurman have been publishing fairly orthogonal rumors lately with Kuo publishing his traditional rumors based on component makers, while Gurman has been publishing a lot of software and services related rumors lately, like the iBooks rumor. What shared source could it have been?
  • Reply 48 of 48
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    Finally, today's report reaffirms rumors that a low-end iPhone model will rely on LCD technology. Of note, sources claim the device's panel might come in at 6 inches, not 6.1 inches as previously thought.

Deal... breaker.