Google announces Android P, with strong emphasis on 'free and open'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie)
    So much of what I’ve been hoping to see in iOS dynamic interactivity and app unbundling is being presented by Google for Android.

Waiting to see Apple’s version. Hopefully soonish.

Some of the things Google announces today were reallly impressive. I hope Apple really surprises everyone and wows at WWDC.
    I hope so too. Siri straight needs help.
    While I agree with the sentiment and would like to see major improvements to Siri, I also wonder how much it matters.  Most iOS users I know rarely use Siri (same goes for my Android friends and Assistant) on their phones.  I see it the most with people using Apple Watch but even then it’s mostly to send texts or set reminders (and occasionally for HomeKit).  With that in mind, would big changes to Siri even be noticed by the vast majority of iOS users?  I HOPE so but I guess it remains to be seen.

There’s also the way voice assistants have “improved” over the years.  Apple has frequently touted Siri’s ability to pull up sports scores and stats etc., but again, I rarely see people be excited about it.  If you don’t care about sports (like me) then you’ll rarely use that feature, and if you’re INTO sports you’re likely not going to be satisfied with the limited results Siri provides or not want them (from the standpoint of not wanting to know the final score until watching the actual game).  Is all the sports stuff an improvement to Siri? Certainly. But how much to it increase engagement?  That’s what I want to know and likely never will.  But I feel like that’s where ALL virtual assistants need to improve, getting people engaged in using them.
    That is my thought as well. I would guess 90+% of Siri's usage (for the people I know that use it regularly) is for sending a text message or placing a call. Not much more beyond that.
    ireland
  • Reply 42 of 70
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

seankill said:
    So much of what I’ve been hoping to see in iOS dynamic interactivity and app unbundling is being presented by Google for Android.

Some of the things Google announces today were reallly impressive. I hope Apple really surprises everyone and wows at WWDC.
    While I agree with the sentiment and would like to see major improvements to Siri, I also wonder how much it matters.  Most iOS users I know rarely use Siri (same goes for my Android friends and Assistant) on their phones.  I see it the most with people using Apple Watch but even then it’s mostly to send texts or set reminders (and occasionally for HomeKit).  With that in mind, would big changes to Siri even be noticed by the vast majority of iOS users?  I HOPE so but I guess it remains to be seen.

There’s also the way voice assistants have “improved” over the years.  Apple has frequently touted Siri’s ability to pull up sports scores and stats etc., but again, I rarely see people be excited about it.  If you don’t care about sports (like me) then you’ll rarely use that feature, and if you’re INTO sports you’re likely not going to be satisfied with the limited results Siri provides or not want them (from the standpoint of not wanting to know the final score until watching the actual game).  Is all the sports stuff an improvement to Siri? Certainly. But how much to it increase engagement?  That’s what I want to know and likely never will.  But I feel like that’s where ALL virtual assistants need to improve, getting people engaged in using them.
    No one uses Siri because it sucks. It needs work and I think Apple will respond....in ‘19. 

No one uses assistant either (at least none of my Android using friends do). Most of us think these assistants are still solutions looking for a true problem. Alexa seems to be an exception since it started out as the only way to interact with it.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Don’t really care about that stuff, but Siri really needs a steroid injection. Contextual understanding really needs to be improved. Oh, and pronounciation. 

I don’t mind Siri returning ‘Motherfu**er’ as an answer, but I do mind that she can’t pronounce it and that I can’t teach her to pronounce it. 
  • Reply 44 of 70

It’s not good when you see pro Apple writers/analysts wishing Apple was doing things Google is doing. Ben Bajarin has been reliably pro-Apple in his analysis over the years but I see him becoming increasingly more pessimistic, especially around Siri & AI. Ben isn’t someone who writes for clicks. He’s not a concern troll. It really frustrates me that Apple allowed others to leapfrog in this space. I’ll bet a lot more people would use Siri if it was better and more useful.
    If it matters that much — so much as to concern analysts — then surely this would have had a negative impact on sales. It would upset normals. Yet...still the single best selling handset on the market. And while bloggers, pundits, and techies are upset, the mass market of normals doesn’t seem to be. What does this tell us?
    Weeeelll, it probably tells us that voice assistants are still something of a geek fetish, and that normal people don’t use them. But I think that is because they’re all a little bit basic. 

To be honest, I think they’re more useful on devices like the HomePod than they are on phones. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Did Google use AI to create a static image that can induce vomiting?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 70
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

OK, thanks for the obvious P jokes here, but what exactly does "P" stand for?

When Google had their sweets/ desserts as names for Android, they were completely open about it. Then we got "O", which I guess was Oreo. So what is "P"?

edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 70

When Google had their sweets/ desserts as names for Android, they were completely open about it. Then we got "O", which I guess was Oreo. So what is "P"?

I think Google is now starting its own Patreon page... become a Patron! Strictly to pay for the new "open and free" phone they are releasing :smile: don't worry they will make enough money off selling your info if you don't, as these phone's are guaranteed to be less then half as secure as their previous almost no security phone's... maybe you'll get lucky and it will blow up on you half way through someone hacking it.

edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 70
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Android P where the P stands for pirate.
    They are aiming the name at 85% of the user base.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 70
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Rayz2016 said:

Weeeelll, it probably tells us that voice assistants are still something of a geek fetish, and that normal people don’t use them. But I think that is because they’re all a little bit basic. 

To be honest, I think they’re more useful on devices like the HomePod than they are on phones. 
    I'm with you RE Siri.  I don't have a HomePod but I do read reviews and too many reviewers are of the opinion that Siri is pretty sad on that platform.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    macxpress said:
    Android P....works on 3 devices just like other versions of Android. Everything else is stuck on 5yr old Android with no support. 
    You didn't read the article, there's a change from earlier releases where the initial betas were only available to Google's own phones. Besides the Google Pixel phones it's also released yesterday for the 
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 51 of 70
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Maybe Pixel? Now optimised for their own phone, the others being pushed out more and more.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    Android P....works on 3 devices just like other versions of Android. Everything else is stuck on 5yr old Android with no support. 
    You didn't read the article, there's a change from earlier releases where the initial betas were only available to Google's own phones. Besides the Google Pixel phones it's also released yesterday for the 
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    Haha...I knew you would respond to that. I did read it. Sorry...Works on 7 phones and the rest of the Android market is stuck on 5yr old Android with no support. Sorry for the butthurt. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    Haha...I knew you would respond to that. I did read it. Sorry...Works on 7 phones and the rest of the Android market is stuck on 5yr old Android with no support. Sorry for the butthurt. 
    7 phones in addition to the Google Pixel (1 and 2) line.  So probably scraping double digits!

edited May 2018
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Although... iOS 11 is technically also only available for 11 phone handsets.  Go figure.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    That last sentence indicates what I said upset you. It shouldn't.

Anyway it's still in beta so a wider roll-out wouldn't be expected anyway. The bigger takeaway is Google adding non-Pixel phones to a OS update beta test. Great idea for vetting potential issues on different hardware builds. TBH it's pretty surprising.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 56 of 70
    crowley said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    7 phones in addition to the Google Pixel (1 and 2) line.  So probably scraping double digits!

Oh wow! A world record! So it doesn't support the most popular Android phone...a Samsung? Good one Google! Lets just support all the shit phones that don't sell. Great strategy!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 70
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6

Oh wow! A world record! So it doesn't support the most popular Android phone...a Samsung? Good one Google! Lets just support all the shit phones that don't sell. Great strategy!
    You aren't familiar with beta testing and what the goal is? Of course you are. Relax, it's just a software update for phones that requires testing.  No one is attacking Apple.
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 58 of 70
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp said:
    seankill said:

No one uses Siri because it sucks. It needs work and I think Apple will respond....in ‘19. 
    Blathering buffoonery. Everyone who owns an Apple product uses Siri at some point or other. 
    Indeed once in a while I want to have a good laugh with the silly answers Siri is producing.  But using it for something productive has not been yet an option
  • Reply 59 of 70
    lkrupp said:
    seankill said:

Blathering buffoonery. Everyone who owns an Apple product uses Siri at some point or other. 
    Obviously.  How else would they know that it sucks?
  • Reply 60 of 70
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    • Sony Xperia XZ2
    • Essential Phone
    • Nokia 7 Plus
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    • Oppo R15 Pro
    • Vivo X21
    • OnePlus 6
    That last sentence indicates what I said upset you. It shouldn't.

Anyway it's still in beta so a wider roll-out wouldn't be expected anyway. The bigger takeaway is Google adding non-Pixel phones to a OS update beta test. Great idea for vetting potential issues on different hardware builds. TBH it's pretty surprising.
    All Google software is in beta...
    watto_cobra