Apple Watch one of the first post-Steve Jobs products at Apple, says Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Soli said:
    dougd doesn't deserve anyone attention. It's not even good trolling.

mac_128 said:
    dougd said:
    Stands to reason.  Hard to believe Jobs would approve of this joke of a product
    Except I don't buy it. Just before Jobs died, Apple released an update to the iPod nano with a dozen custom watch faces. Apple and Jobs were aware the iPod was being worn in this manner and used as a wristwatch, and wanted to encourage it's use. Following his death, that nano model was discontinued, and support for it ended. No more watch updates. Given that Jobs was fully behind the nano being used as a watch, it seems rather unlikely that he wouldn't have backed the Apple Watch. And frankly, I don't believe he didn't discuss it as a possibility. Stranger things have happened, but it's implausible to me that Jobs was both aware of the nano's popularity as a watch and ignorant of that potential being developed further. 

Excellent point. I had forgotten about the move to make the iPad nano a wearable, which apple was clearly supporting. It seem impossible for Jobs not to have seen the future potential of wrist-worn wearables from Apple.
    That doesn't contradict Ive's statement, which was that he and Jobs never talked about it.

I don't understand why we should put more stock into anonymous randoms on a rumors site claiming this is a lie, over the actual guys in the room, but hey...
    edited May 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

mac_128 said:
    dougd said:
    Except I don't buy it. Just before Jobs died, Apple released an update to the iPod nano with a dozen custom watch faces. Apple and Jobs were aware the iPod was being worn in this manner and used as a wristwatch, and wanted to encourage it's use. Following his death, that nano model was discontinued, and support for it ended. No more watch updates. Given that Jobs was fully behind the nano being used as a watch, it seems rather unlikely that he wouldn't have backed the Apple Watch. And frankly, I don't believe he didn't discuss it as a possibility. Stranger things have happened, but it's implausible to me that Jobs was both aware of the nano's popularity as a watch and ignorant of that potential being developed further. 

Excellent point. I had forgotten about the move to make the iPad nano a wearable, which apple was clearly supporting. It seem impossible for Jobs not to have seen the future potential of wrist-worn wearables from Apple.
    That doesn't contradict Ive's statement, which was that he and Jobs never talked about it.

I don't understand why we should put more stock into anonymous randoms on a rumors site claiming this is a lie, over the actual guys in the room, but hey…
    After I read your post I edited my post to add clarity since I can see my first sentence about it being an excellent point could be taken a couple different ways. I was originally only commenting on the iPad Nano SW as a wearable device.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    dougd said:
    Another troll uncovered.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 58
     mac_128 said:
    Except I don't buy it. Just before Jobs died, Apple released an update to the iPod nano with a dozen custom watch faces. Apple and Jobs were aware the iPod was being worn in this manner and used as a wristwatch, and wanted to encourage it's use.
    Oh yeah right.  Like Apple never thought to put watch faces on the Mac or iPhone.

Watch faces doesn't mean Jobs was thinking a wearable.  Certainly not the wearable that Apple released.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Oh yeah right.  Like Apple never thought to put watch faces on the Mac or iPhone.

Watch faces doesn't mean Jobs was thinking a wearable.  Certainly not the wearable that Apple released.
    Weren't all those "watch faces" for the iPod Nano a response to people using it as a wrist-worn wearable, not some odd notion of the original Mac OS and even up through the latest macOS and iOS having a working analog clock.
    edited May 2018 JosephAU
  • Reply 26 of 58
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
      radarthekat said:
    dougd said:
    At some point in the future people won’t carry a wallet or keys.  What product would you suggest incorporate those capabilities?  Today people swipe a fob or keycard to gain access to their workplace.  Are you suggesting we take out our phones to swipe instead, or would it be more natural and convenient to swipe a watch past the reader?  Same for paying for things, as we already see.  The Watch will take on many such convenience tasks.  Even when streaming music from my iPhone through wired earbuds while on a plane or public transport, I find it super convenient to leave the phone in my lap or pocket while using the watch to pause or reduce volume when a travel companion wants to say something or have a short verbal exchange.  Beats frequently pulling an earbud out.  Adjusting lights, temperature, accessing a hotel room while toting bags, checking the weather forecast, etc.  Many tasks are more convenient with a wrist-worn computer.  Even checking the time.

I bought the Apple Watch Series 2 Nike Black/Volt and love it. It's now a year old and I have 3 bands to use with it. I bought it mainly to use to answer the phone without taking the iPhone out of my pocket when it's winter time. I sure found out I use it for a lot more things than just that. The only Apple product I love more is my fully loaded 27" late 2014 5K iMac and I do have lots of Apple products to choose from. B)
    radarthekat
  • Reply 27 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I really like the improvements they made with the most recent generation of Watch and I'll probably get the next gen. I'm running out of excuses not to have one.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    This makes sense now.

Steve Jobs releases products with a killer app.

The watch has no killer app. It's a solution to a problem that no one has.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    flippyschflippysch Posts: 29member
    seankill said:
    The Apple Watch is a great product, not essential but very nice to have. 
    Not essential ... until it saves your life.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    kestral said:
    This makes sense now.

The killer app is the same as every watch - feeding you small bits relevant information quickly. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 31 of 58
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    None of my Apple Products are what I would consider to be essential.  But if I have them, I benefit more than their cost.  All of them have been beneficial. The Leading Edge can be the Bleeding Edge.  I will say that other products I have from other suppliers are in the trash can of life - the dump somewhere.

We can conjecture for the rest of our lives, but we will not benefit by those thoughts - Not At All.  Time would be better spend doing something productive - not blogging.  Reading articles and making substantial comments re technology, direction, etc.  Not doing what if's or how about, or Apple blew it.

Apple has many paths that we will never know; we should not know.   It is good business for you to not know. You might figure out some of those paths if you know enough about technology, but you had "better not really know".  I learn something useful everyday.  Apple does not have to tell me.  Their stock price is enough' their Cash flow is unsurpassed.  Even if we think their products are not block busters, you do not need to know.  If you did, the competition would know also. If they see a big, oversized Filet for Lunch, they want a bite of the lunch.  

It is simply a matter of the Manufacturing Technology being able to meet the needs.  The Software is key, but the hardware has to be affordable and perfected or we , the people cannot or will not buy it.  They need quality & quantity. A few thousand parts will not meet their needs - except for experimentation.   I feel the Need for Speed. It does not matter how fast hardware gets, the demands on the hardware increase rapidly.  Thus R&D increases , but not beyond the need or the direction of need.  They know what they are doing or need to do & we do not know.   Just put some money on the Paper Certificates (stock) that Apple sold along time ago.  We the consumers, institutions are trading the paper. Apple is buying it back.  When you buy Stock that is not being newly issued, remember that the company is not getting the money we pay to the Stock Brokers.  Someone is happy with their gain, needs to take the gain, and sells it to us.  Or they are spooked.  How many times have those who are Spooked been wrong ?

cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 58
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Soli said:
    I still wonder if Jobs had talked about it with anyone or had jotted down anything about this being a potential future market as technology advanced since it started being formed only a couple months after his death. I know I was thinking about the potential of wrist-worn wearables from Apple even while Jobs was CEO.

Right? I mean I think we all were. I guess we can only take him at his word, but I find it a little difficult to believe that he and Steve NEVER even discussed Apple doing a watch. Seems like I’ve even seen interviews with Woz (possibly not the most clear-headed person on earth) where he said Steve was talking about Newton/iPad type devices even in the Apple][ days. 

RDF 2.0?

otoh  like some other commenters have pointed out it could be a matter of semantics where he ended jobs never specifically talked about what would become Apple Watch. Not that other, more general discussions never happened. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 33 of 58
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    kestral said:
    This makes sense now.

Yet they're about to sell 50M and it has a very defined sets of use... WTF are you even talking about.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 58
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    ...these things start with an idea that quickly becomes a conversation that changes in nature...

Or as Woody Allen said..."Right now it's only a notion, but I think I can get the money to make it into a concept, and later turn it into an idea." 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 58
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    dougd said:

kestral said:
    This makes sense now.

Funny, as I read the article I was thinking the opposite - “Apple watch is a perfect counter argument to all the people who say Apple hasn’t made any good products since Jobs died.

As for being a killer App, no, an Apple Watch is not necessary. But neither is an iphone. But they’re both really nice to have, and I can attest that after getting one, you rapidly go from thinking “what do I need this for?” to “this think is reallly cool!”
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dougd said:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. 

There needs be some sort of compulsory intelligence test before people are allowed an internet connection. 
    radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 37 of 58

I think a lot of negative comments stem from how the Apple Watch works in comparison to other iOS products. It can be confusing and frustrating to some people. 

Some people looked at the 1st gen watch and saw how slow it was, how confusing it was to setup, the fact that if you do a software update and brick it, you have to ship it to Apple to fix it, how slow it is to restore when it really doesn't have all that much to load, etc.  They took all of that and decided it wasn't a good product or should even be called an Apple product. 

I get that you can tell it was a post Jobs product, but I believe it had the spirit of Steve, it didn't have the conflict that Steve would create when making a product. That's what made their products great. If you don't have that push to be a little better and have competition between engineering groups, then you get mediocre products which is what the original watch was. 

Sure you can compare it to the iPhone and say this is a new space and it's not fair that I'm so hard on a 1st gen product, maybe. I guess since there isn't a Steve Jobs to go with it to explain why it has the shortcomings it does, it will always be looked down upon. 

Tim, Phil, Jony, Craig, Jeff can't hold a candle to Steve when it comes to presentations. He would have sold that watch and all the naysayers would have bought at least 1. 

Plus Steve and Kevin Lynch hated each other over flash, you know how that turned out. 
    “The Spirit of Steve”?

Oh, give me a break. 

The G4 Cube
    The Hockey Puck Mouse

cornchip
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Soli said:

mac_128 said:
    dougd said:

I don't understand why we should put more stock into anonymous randoms on a rumors site claiming this is a lie, over the actual guys in the room, but hey...

You should feel privileged. 

What you’re seeing here is the birth of a new Negative Narrative Stream. 

No one wants to believe Apple can thrive without Jobs.  So what do you do when all evidence shows otherwise? Well, you have two choices:

1.  You ignore the evidence and just go on insisting that the product is crap and not selling. It makes you look mentally deficient, but at least you feel good in yourself. 

2.  You look at the successful new product, and in the face of what anyone says, you insist that Jobs had a hand in it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SUCCESSFUL POST-JOBSIAN APPLE PRODUCT. 

Airpods. Well, they look like standard ear pods so they are a Jobs product. 
    Music streaming. Well, it looks a lot like iTunes, so it’s a Jobs product. 

When/if Apple releases a VR headset, people will I insist it’s a Jobs product because “Steve” wore spectacles. 

The guy was great, but folk insisting that he is running Apple from beyond the grave is just hilarious. 

• Reply 39 of 58
    cornchip said:
    Soli said:
    I still wonder if Jobs had talked about it with anyone or had jotted down anything about this being a potential future market as technology advanced since it started being formed only a couple months after his death. I know I was thinking about the potential of wrist-worn wearables from Apple even while Jobs was CEO.

Right? I mean I think we all were. I guess we can only take him at his word, but I find it a little difficult to believe that he and Steve NEVER even discussed Apple doing a watch.
    I think it's plausible. Ive designed the look of the products, for the most part, right? I assume that they to already have gone from some basic state of getting engineers to see if the internal components can be small enough, if the performance can he high enough, and other factors, like the OS, can be made within a reasonable time frame.

Does Ive really need the distraction of discussing with Jobs about some potential product that he can't work on and could be years away from being a reality? Personally, I wouldn't bring Ive into the fold until after my systems engineers (at the very least) could figure out exactly what they could bring to an Apple Watch product first.
    cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 58
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, so now we have the “If Steve didn’t think of it it’s useless crap” contingent of the peanut gallery running off at the mouth. So boring to read the above posts.
    I think you'd be happy if you were the only poster here. 

With regards to the watch I don't think Steve would have been happy with version 1.0. And I don't think he would have been happy with the UI or UX, both of which have changed since. He would have been happy with the build quality and materials. 
    mac_128