NAS roundup: Best network attached storage options for Mac, iPhone, and iPad users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ivanh said:
    None of the mentioned NAS is also a router/wireless-router as an Airport Time Capsule (ATC) does. Most of the NAS processors are too slow for Time Machine sparse files structure.
    ATC, being a router/wireless router, provide internal storage (2TB/3TB) giving SATA read-write speed of reliability to the Time Machine backup sparse files.  NAS mentioned can’t do that. None of them can. Sooner or later, NAS users will hit the verification error and TM backup will be scrapped and needs to be rebuilt.
    Conclusion: don’t use NAS to do TM backup. Use USB external drive, if ATC is no more available, or USB-C/Thunderbolt-x external drives are not affordable.
    I've been using a NAS for many years with about 10TiB of TM backups on my NAS without ever running into an issue when restoring for a new Mac purchase, replacing smaller HDDS for larger capacity HDDs for my Mac mini-connected RAID, or just restoring some files or folders that were deleted.
    chiaStrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 82
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Same here. However, I’ve run into a backup verification error multiple times over the past decade, and had to start the backup from scratch after each such incident. It still works amazingly well, though, and the restore via Time Machine is amazing. 

However, I can’t recall running into this issue in the past year, so maybe this was resolved in software (macOS or NAS). I use QNAPs.  
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 82
    mdirvinmdirvin Posts: 49member
    camc said:
    I found that an encrypted backup is even better, in case you have to deal with ransomware attacks.
    Maybe it is worth taking in consideration units that offer snapshot duplications with complex encryption keys.

I had to face a ransomware attack a couple of years ago: both the file server and the backup unit, which was a standard NAS, were completely defeated – no hope to retrieve anything from either unit. The Syneto unit that was sitting on the same network got under fire too - but only the last snapshot was accessible via the network, so it was the only one that got corrupted. 
    I've successfully restored the previous snapshot in less than 15 minutes (I keep 24 daily snapshots on this machine) and got everything back.... it was really a life saver.

Since then I rely on a three-level backup: a standard Time Machine on a thunderbolt drive, an encrypted backup via Carbon Copy on the Syneto unit and the icloud stuff on another level. Of course the management of the above is not the simplest, but it seems a fine cover...
      I agree, it use to be hardware failure was the main concern when designing a backup plan.  Ransomeware has completely changed the game.  I discussed this with a cyber security expert.  Her comment was Ransomeware is either to total disaster for the victim. Causing companies to go out of business losing everything, or just a minor irritation.  The difference being a few simple steps that everyone should be doing.  Mainly keep an up to date, verified backup that is inaccessible to the ransomeware.  There are multiple ways of doing that, Cloud backup, physically plugging, and unplugging the backup device before and after each backup. I use two Netgear (526X, & 524X) servers, having one backup the other using the server OS. It does an hourly, daily, weekly, monthly backup schedule without mounting the backup disaster recovery share on the network.  The locked backup share is not network accessible, but If it were mounted somehow it is read only.  In order to access the backup share I would have to go in as the administrator and make a duplicate copy, then set the permissions so I could access the copy. I also keep a backup on a Backblaze B2 cloud account, just in case.  Then  a backup to a thunderbolt 2 device inside an encrypted password protected (not stored in the keychain) sparse bundle. I have been using Chronosync as my backup program. Have been for years.  It works especially well for networks, and cloud backup.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 82
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I've got a 4-bay Synology NAS from about five years ago. The initial outlay for the NAS and four drives was significant but it's served me well and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Soli said:
    ivanh said:
    None of the mentioned NAS is also a router/wireless-router as an Airport Time Capsule (ATC) does. Most of the NAS processors are too slow for Time Machine sparse files structure.
    ATC, being a router/wireless router, provide internal storage (2TB/3TB) giving SATA read-write speed of reliability to the Time Machine backup sparse files.  NAS mentioned can’t do that. None of them can. Sooner or later, NAS users will hit the verification error and TM backup will be scrapped and needs to be rebuilt.
    Conclusion: don’t use NAS to do TM backup. Use USB external drive, if ATC is no more available, or USB-C/Thunderbolt-x external drives are not affordable.
    I've been using a NAS for many years with about 10TiB of TM backups on my NAS without ever running into an issue when restoring for a new Mac purchase, replacing smaller HDDS for larger capacity HDDs for my Mac mini-connected RAID, or just restoring some files or folders that were deleted.
    I agree that some ones are always luckier than others. Many years ago, a friend of mine, a 50 year old jaywalker, telling me that he always sought every chance to jaywalk and proud of himself never got hit by a car. Some years later, I went to his funeral of being run over during jaywalking. Good luck.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    ivanh said:
    This is an insane comment, and totally wrong.

All of these NAS are significantly faster than ATC. The Time Capsule hardware is five years older than every single one of these devices. Use a NAS with explicit Time Capsule support, and you won't have any of these problems. All of these devices, bar none, have "SATA read-write speed of reliability" as you put it.

Your conclusion is faulty, and based on erroneous and apocryphal data.
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 82
    sirozha said:
    Same here. However, I’ve run into a backup verification error multiple times over the past decade, and had to start the backup from scratch after each such incident. It still works amazingly well, though, and the restore via Time Machine is amazing. 

However, I can’t recall running into this issue in the past year, so maybe this was resolved in software (macOS or NAS). I use QNAPs.  
    The Time Machine backup application hasn’t been updated for years. Check the modification date of it from the macOS application folder. You’re lucky because when you have hit the TM backup verification error, it’s not coincidentally that you need to restore it. I saw many people got caught and upset because when they started restoration, they were popped by the verification error. Besides, every time you create a new TM backup, you lost all older files only available from the older but failed TM backup.

If you have no choice but to use NAS, use at least 2 NASes configured for every Mac. And, never use a single NAS to backup more that one Mac.  It’s a pity that newer macOS Server versions no longer do TM backup. If you really love the NAS approach, get a Carbon Copy for an alternate backup source if your data are serious and important to you. Apple is now focusing only on sales, money and expansion. It may be time to peek back on Windows 10. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 28 of 82
    ivanh said:
    sirozha said:

No. The Time Machine backup application hasn’t been updated for years. Check the modification date of it from the macOS application folder. You’re lucky because when you have hit the TM backup verification error, it’s not coincidentally that you need to restore it. I saw many people got caught and upset because when they started restoration, they were popped by the verification error. Besides, every time you create a new TM backup, you lost all older files only available from the older but failed TM backup.

If you have no choice but to use NAS, use at least 2 NASes configured for every Mac. And, never use a single NAS to backup more that one Mac.  It’s a pity that newer macOS Server versions no longer do TM backup. If you really love the NAS approach, get a Carbon Copy for an alternate backup source if your data are serious and important to you. Apple is now focusing only on sales, money and expansion. It may be time to peek back on Windows 10. 
    MacOS server itself doesn't do Time Machine hosting anymore -- but every version of High Sierra does.

You are giving bad advice. You've been banned once before for spewing nonsense, I've got no issue doing it again.
    edited May 2018 johntwolffStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 82
    ivanh said:
    sirozha said:

No. The Time Machine backup application hasn’t been updated for years. Check the modification date of it from the macOS application folder. You’re lucky because when you have hit the TM backup verification error, it’s not coincidentally that you need to restore it. I saw many people got caught and upset because when they started restoration, they were popped by the verification error. Besides, every time you create a new TM backup, you lost all older files only available from the older but failed TM backup.

MacOS server itself doesn't do Time Machine hosting anymore -- but every version of High Sierra does.

You are giving bad advice. You've been banned once before for spewing nonsense, I've got no issue doing it again.
    MacOS server itself doesn't do Time Machine hosting anymore -- but every version of High Sierra does.” That’s what I said too. Bad advice? Prove it.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    ivanh said:
    ivanh said:
    sirozha said:

“MacOS server itself doesn't do Time Machine hosting anymore -- but every version of High Sierra does.” That’s what I said too. Bad advice? Prove it.
    Read the response prior to the one you responded to. Your assumptions about these devices is wrong. 

Your recommendations that the Time Capsule is a more capable device than the ones listed for Time Machine is demonstrably wrong. Telling people to use one NAS per Mac is demonstrably wrong. Your assumption that the devices used something besides SATA was demonstrably wrong. You saying that the QNAP isn't a NAS that you edited out at 7:23 eastern time is demonstrably wrong. The Time Machine app was last updated on March 29, 2018, so you're wrong there too. Furthermore, looking at the Time Machine bundle contents, there's nothing in there older than November of 2017.

MacOS Server does do Time Machine because it is based off the High Sierra client -- that is not what you said, so what you claimed there is wrong too. Additionally, somehow, you keep having these problems that nobody else seems to have and caution people about them -- which leads me to the conclusion that most of your problem is between the keyboard and the chair.

For some reason you think that this is a discussion. I am telling you straight up and without room for interpretation: do not persist in giving AI readers bad, and demonstrably wrong advice.
    edited May 2018 johntwolffStrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 31 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    VentureH said:
    Actually forget TimeMachine on WD drives that fail with click of parking heads. Seagate Backup Plus beats all of them for TimeMachine (running business on them). Not a NAS however. As far as NAS (WiFi or Ethernet attached), Synology NAS with Hitachi UltraStar (HGST) is specialized for servers and outlast many WD drive based configurations due to MTBF and optimization on parking heads.Synology has outstanding reliability and updates. No issues for many years. Going SSD is still expensive.
    I agree that Synology NAS has outstanding quality; I've had two over the past 6 years, and my only complaint was the really slow CPU in my initial 211j. My current DiskStation, a 214play, handles multiple services, including Plex Server and Time Machine backups, like a champ.

To clarify on the WD drives, however, the issues you list are primarily a problem with the Green line (and maybe Blue). The Red line is designed for NAS applications: they're quiet, (relatively) cool, and don't park. I've used the same pair of 2TB WD Red drives almost continuously since I bought them nearly 6 years ago, and they're still plugging along.
    Does Synology still limit hardware video transcoding to its own video streamer application or can Plex take advantage of it (when available on the hardware)?
  • Reply 32 of 82
    sirozha said:
    sirozha said:
    No QNAP? Comprehensive. 
    FTA: "Our list is just of the ones we've used and like, with a limitation we've applied on initial setup ease and a reasonable budget."

We haven't used a current QNAP, so, it is not on the list.
    Not including QNAP in a NAS review is akin not including Apple or Dell in a laptop review. The most obscure NAS vendors were included, whereas one of the major two NAS manufacturers was omitted. 

It’s your blog so you can publish whatever you like. 
    I understand what you're saying -- but It's not a good recommendation if we haven't used it lately. None of these vendors are obscure, and have been in the market for many, many years.
    edited May 2018 entropysAlex1N
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Sorry to interfere. I am a simple and basic user. If AirPort Extreme is working and managing my time machine back ups do I really need to upgrade at present? Tell me the errors of my ways. Thank you in advance.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 34 of 82
    rickrey11 said:
    Sorry to interfere. I am a simple and basic user. If AirPort Extreme is working and managing my time machine back ups do I really need to upgrade at present? Tell me the errors of my ways. Thank you in advance.
    Nope, you're fine right now.

But, it's easier to replace working hardware than pick up the pieces after a failure. Just lodge it in the back of your head.
    edited May 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 35 of 82
    nwillcnwillc Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Had the DS216j for a couple of years. A lot I like about it. The Apps for it have been surprisingly useful - it's a decent Plex server for example.  About the only feature it offers that failed to be useful was its print server - never supported a printer I had or could easily purchase.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 82
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    ivanh said:
    Bullshit! I've been using Synology NAS servers for Time Machine Backups of our Mac servers for years and there's never been an issue with them. 
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 37 of 82
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    avon b7 said:
    VentureH said:
    Actually forget TimeMachine on WD drives that fail with click of parking heads. Seagate Backup Plus beats all of them for TimeMachine (running business on them). Not a NAS however. As far as NAS (WiFi or Ethernet attached), Synology NAS with Hitachi UltraStar (HGST) is specialized for servers and outlast many WD drive based configurations due to MTBF and optimization on parking heads.Synology has outstanding reliability and updates. No issues for many years. Going SSD is still expensive.
    I agree that Synology NAS has outstanding quality; I've had two over the past 6 years, and my only complaint was the really slow CPU in my initial 211j. My current DiskStation, a 214play, handles multiple services, including Plex Server and Time Machine backups, like a champ.

To clarify on the WD drives, however, the issues you list are primarily a problem with the Green line (and maybe Blue). The Red line is designed for NAS applications: they're quiet, (relatively) cool, and don't park. I've used the same pair of 2TB WD Red drives almost continuously since I bought them nearly 6 years ago, and they're still plugging along.
    Does Synology still limit hardware video transcoding to its own video streamer application or can Plex take advantage of it (when available on the hardware)?
    Plex doesn’t do transcoding in hardware, does it?
  • Reply 38 of 82
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I own the WD My Book as well as their Passport for Mac and couldn’t be more satisfied.  They offer wonderful designs, ease of use, and excellent reliability. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 39 of 82
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    rickrey11 said:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You'll be fine for a while unless something happens to the AirPort Extreme. 
  • Reply 40 of 82
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    cpsro said:
    My preference:  Resilio Sync software
    https://www.resilio.com

For Time Machine: macOS Server

Time Machine is no longer included in MacOS Server.  Instead, it is buried in the standard OS.  In fact the Server app has been completely discontinued <sigh>