Video: Changes to the MacBook Pro we want Apple to make

1246789

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,779member
    Might not be total BS. On my High Sierra box the DVD Player app is one of only 3 remaining 32-bit apps, and we know 32-bit support is going away. I suspect you will still be able to use optical drives for data but not movies.
  • Reply 62 of 162
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 1,580member
    ascii said:
    Might not be total BS. On my High Sierra box the DVD Player app is one of only 3 remaining 32-bit apps, and we know 32-bit support is going away. I suspect you will still be able to use optical drives for data but not movies.
    Or you just use a 3rd party app like VLC. Apple doesn't need to maintain DVD Player, especially if very few people use it and there are alternatives.
    ascii
  • Reply 63 of 162
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 281member
    DuhSesame said:

    Also, I think is possible to wire flash memories into a RAID 0 configuration, which can double the performance easily.
    3.1/2.1 Gbps not doing it for you?
    just saying, faster is always better.  Especially if you need the sequence read/write more than anything. 

    But really, I’m more interested in 120Hz screen.  Nobody besides me actually care about it?
    edited May 25
  • Reply 64 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    Jonny Evans from Computerworld,in an article dated for April 18,2018,said that Apple decreed death to 32-bit apps. Apple's DVD Player is the only exception,but its version number hasn't been updated since 2015. This modification failed to extend to 32-bit Apps. It means that an essential software component used by thousands of mac-users to watch Video on their Macs has no future! Those are Jonny's words, not mine. There are 87 One-Star reviews of burning software in the apple Store,which doesn't instill confidence in its future. Even with third-party DVD/CD drive systems,you must be careful,because many aren't supported by Mac OS. Quick Time Player7,iDVD 7.1.2,and DVD Player v5.8 are 32-bit,and won't be supported after August 2018,when Mac OS 10.14 debuts. Many third party burning software hasn't been updated to 64-bit,and doesn't appear that they will be soon. Apple's DVD Player Is the only 32-bit application included in High Sierra's software stack. Jonny said, that even if you have a modern MacBook Pro,with Thunderbolt 3, you'll need a USB-C-USB adapter, to connect an external Super Drive to use an external super Drive. Jonny Evans said,'this suggests that Apple doesn't plan on even supporting third-party CD/DVD-authoring software solutions"! You are an arrogant know-it-all, and I call Bullshit on your opinion,since Mr. Evans the Appleholic, is a much more reliable Apple-resource than you! You don't know everything Apple-related,and iirc,you even defended Apple's decision about making the Trashcan Mac Pro,in 2013. How did that work out? Didn't Apple admit that they made a mistake(oh,the thought of it!) in the redesign of the Mac Pro,let it linger too long without updating or fixing it,and promised to redesign it to meet it's users needs? Do you defend the horrible Laptop keyboards,too? Does Apple have software quality glitches? Everything Apple does and decides,isn't necessarily right,just because they are profitable! Much of their profitability is due to the overwhelming success of the iPhone,and now,Services. You are too quick to insult those that don't agree with you! It's disrespectful,impolite,and insulting! 
  • Reply 65 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,355member
    macike said:
    an essential software component used by thousands of mac-users to watch Video on their Macs has no future!
    Who uses discs anymore, though? Even I didn’t bother with a fair few of my DVD transfers to my iTunes library, if you catch my drift. Though that was around the time that VLC+HandBrake had problems with ripping.
    There are 87 One-Star reviews of burning software
    I imagine so; most of it’s garbage. And who needs to burn discs anymore?
    Even with third-party DVD/CD drive systems,you must be careful,because many aren't supported by Mac OS.
    Even the BD-R and HD-DVD-ROM combo drive I installed in my Mac Pro works flawlessly for both formats. I doubt there are any other drives that have problems.
    Quick Time Player7,iDVD 7.1.2,and DVD Player v5.8 are 32-bit,and won't be supported after August 2018,when Mac OS 10.14 debuts.
    A few years ago I would have been sad that iDVD was finally dying. Now I’m only sad that iWeb died. I like how he thinks he knows when the next version of OS X will be released, too.

  • Reply 66 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    MacStrategy's website was linked to in Jonny Evans' article, and lists Mac OS 10.14 as being expected in Autumn 2018. Since the WWDC will be in June, that's not unexpected,and is an easy prediction. Bruce Resnikoff,the CEO of UMe, Universal Music Group's Global Catalog business said,"Make no mistake, Streaming will continue to grow,and become even more central to how people discover and listen to Music. At the same time,Vinyl and CD's  are a significant part of our business,and will remain so for a very long time". He said,"Our industry is Global,and CD's remain an important way for people to buy Music in some of the largest markets,like Japan,Germany,and France".  He added that plenty of overseas markets are still rather in tune with CD's. He said,"As long as Fans want Music on Vinyl and Cd's,and there are plenty of them out there,we will continue to make sure our Music is available in those formats". Harout Hovsepyan, Owner of Hollywood Disc Duplication, in Glendale,California wasn't even aware that best Buy had cut back on retail sales of Cd's. He said so few Musicians ever landed their work on the retailer's Shelves, that it doesn't affect his Clientele at all. They order batches of their work, in the hundreds, to sell at Concerts. They don't buy 5,000 at a time anymore,but they never got paid with Streaming,and by ordering physical copies, they can be accountable,and can determine how much they are making or losing. I'm just saying,stop labeling DVD/CD Users as Dinosaurs,since we Stream,have subscription Services,use Fm and AM,have Apple Music,Spotify,Pandora,Sirius XM Radio,YouTube Music,High Speed Cable Internet or FIOS,just like everyone else!  They are not mutually exclusive, I just have an extensive library,Cassettes and LP's,too,and I don't want anyone telling me when I can play or Watch WHAT I WANT!! Many people are fine with letting all else except Streaming go,but if you care about your Favorite Artists having content for you,you'd better buy a CD,because they'll starve to death,based on Streaming,since the Labels,TV,and Networks aren't  paying them worth a Damn!
  • Reply 67 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    The articles spoke about DVD/CD/BD-R/DVD-ROM being supported in the near future; not now or in the past. The article also noted, that many Enterprise Execs and Movie Editors still use DVD's for feedback,presentations,sharing, and early reviews. Others, including Consumers, use DVD's as a backup strategy,but need to be able to read them.
  • Reply 68 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,355member
    macike said:
    MacStrategy's website was linked to in Jonny Evans' article, and lists Mac OS 10.14 as being expected in Autumn 2018. Since the WWDC will be in June, that's not unexpected,and is an easy prediction.
    I suppose so. It feels awfully Kim Kommando-y, though.
    He said,"As long as Fans want Music on Vinyl and Cd's,and there are plenty of them out there,we will continue to make sure our Music is available in those formats".
    People will be using new CDs in 2030, won’t they.  :(
    I don't want anyone telling me when I can play or Watch WHAT I WANT!!
    Hear hear. But physical media isn’t the only way to ensure that. All my stuff is digitized now, but it’s all LOCAL. That’s the key.
  • Reply 69 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,521member
    tallest skil said:

    People will be using new CDs in 2030, won’t they.  :( 
    I don't want anyone telling me when I can play or Watch WHAT I WANT!!
    Hear hear. But physical media isn’t the only way to ensure that. All my stuff is digitized now, but it’s all LOCAL. That’s the key.
    I'm torn here, as I have a good number of CDs, DVDs and some BluRays that I need to get digitized (I probably have about 1/3 of my collection overall digitized), so I'd want the ability to have some kind of system in the house/office that is capable of reading these discs. I really don't want it to be built-in, as that was always a failure point (moving parts) of the machine, and I don't need more than one for my home/office.

    On the other hand, it is turning out to be a pretty horrible method of data archival. I *really* need to get on the ball soon and get any data I still have backed up on these things off onto other storage. I might already be too late for some of it. (gasp!) So, in that sense, it can't go away soon enough. If anyone is still using it to burn discs, it would be a really good idea for them to move on from that.

    Keeping a local, digitized library, though, also requires a bit of technical know-how and forethought, so I'm not really sure what the best solution is for someone who won't invest the effort into it. I guess they just lose their stuff. But, maybe that's better than the false sense of security. They might at least try to move it from computer to computer, and keep a backup on an external hard drive, etc. As long as they keep it moving to newer hardware, it should last a while.
  • Reply 70 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    I digitize,listen and watch Discs,read magazines and Newspapers, and listen to Albums and Cassettes. Too many Artists didn't go to CD's, and I bought or recorded Music,Movies,and TV shows that won't be Streamed or placed on Discs. I know that most people won't hang on to their old Stuff like me,but I would just feel Raped, if someone sold me 30 years of content,and then told me that I won't be able to play it or watch it anymore,because they want to stop recording and duplication. The music and Movie Industries are Greedy,and shot themselves in the foot!  At Concerts,Artists sell CD's,and tell me that they're getting robbed by Streaming. They only make money from Concerts,CD's,and merchandise! I want them to make it. Bookstores didn't want us to look at books,if we weren't buying them. Now,Borders,B. Dalton Booksellers,and many others are out of business or swallowed up. The few that are left,will let you read,drink coffee,buy snacks,sit on a Couch or stool,and don't know if you'll even buy anything!  I begged them to stop hassling Book-lovers,and Music-Lovers,because no matter how many we already own, we want more when we come into the store. If I had to give up all Hobbies but one,I don't know which would be more valuable between: Use of the Internet,Reading,Using a Computer on the Internet,using a Smartphone,or listening to Music!  Pool, and Driving, is in the same treasured category,for Me! LOL!
  • Reply 71 of 162
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 1,580member
    macike said:
    I digitize,listen and watch Discs,read magazines and Newspapers, and listen to Albums and Cassettes. Too many Artists didn't go to CD's, and I bought or recorded Music,Movies,and TV shows that won't be Streamed or placed on Discs. I know that most people won't hang on to their old Stuff like me,but I would just feel Raped, if someone sold me 30 years of content,and then told me that I won't be able to play it or watch it anymore,because they want to stop recording and duplication. The music and Movie Industries are Greedy,and shot themselves in the foot!  At Concerts,Artists sell CD's,and tell me that they're getting robbed by Streaming. They only make money from Concerts,CD's,and merchandise! I want them to make it. Bookstores didn't want us to look at books,if we weren't buying them. Now,Borders,B. Dalton Booksellers,and many others are out of business or swallowed up. The few that are left,will let you read,drink coffee,buy snacks,sit on a Couch or stool,and don't know if you'll even buy anything!  I begged them to stop hassling Book-lovers,and Music-Lovers,because no matter how many we already own, we want more when we come into the store. If I had to give up all Hobbies but one,I don't know which would be more valuable between: Use of the Internet,Reading,Using a Computer on the Internet,using a Smartphone,or listening to Music!  Pool, and Driving, is in the same treasured category,for Me! LOL!
    CALM DOWN. Not sure why you're freaking out, you can buy a DVD burner on Amazon for like $25. You can watch DVDs with 3rd party software like VLC. You can still rip your audio CDs you buy at concerts, or just play them back via the optical drive (*shudder*). There is no reason optical drives should be built into every single computer when nearly everyone has moved on, and there are very easy optical solutions for those that need one. 

    Also, I can see why you're mad about the new keyboards, seems like you got a bunk spacebar.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 72 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,521member
    fastasleep said:
    Also, I can see why you're mad about the new keyboards, seems like you got a bunk spacebar.
    And, return key! Yea, I'd be mad too. :)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 73 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    You can calm down,too. I have an optical drive in my iMac and MacBook Pro. I have an external drive from OWC connected to my iMac,so I'm not currently having problems

    burning Discs. The near future may be different though, which was the premise of the article I referred to. According to you Guys,anyone who still burn Discs, or watch

    DVD's,or listen to CD's,they're a Dinosaur that's lost in time! You all have repeatedly berated ANYONE who even suggested that they still enjoy accessing their libraries of

    physical-media! You also assumed that people who play Discs, don't stream ,or have subscription-services! Your use-case doesn't fit with everyone else,is what I was trying to

    show. The Executive in the article spoke about large markets like Japan,Germany,and France. Is that insignificant? I proved that people still burn and listen to them,companies

    still sell them and duplicate them,and you assume that I don't know about VLC!  LOL! Really? They still sold a Billion dollars of DVD's in 2016, you know.  I see that you're

    focused on my spacebar,well if it's bad,like the keyboards,Apple made it.  Why are other Makers still including DVD/CD drives in their lineups! Why do they still have USB-A

    ports and Ethernet connections? Are they all stupid and lost? HP,Dell,and Lenovo include burners,and the all have more market-share than Apple! Should we get rid of all of

    the Full-Size Spare tires, because some vehicles have Minis? Should we make fun of people who still use keys for their Home doors,just because you can unlock it with a

    Smartphone?  Is it stupid to listen to FM/AM now,because streaming is available? What makes you think that I don't do all three, and stream through my iPhone with an Apple

    Music subscription?  Thank God, I didn't buy a Mac with a Butterfly keyboard. Is this enough spacing for you Guys? Wow,SMH!
  • Reply 74 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,521member
    macike said:
    The near future may be different though, which was the premise of the article I referred to. According to you Guys,anyone who still burn Discs, or watch DVD's,or listen to CD's,they're a Dinosaur that's lost in time!
    ...
    You all have repeatedly berated ANYONE who even suggested that they still enjoy accessing their libraries of physical-media!
    ...
    Why are other Makers still including DVD/CD drives in their lineups! Why do they still have USB-A ports and Ethernet connections? Are they all stupid and lost?
    ...
    Should we get rid of all of the Full-Size Spare tires, because some vehicles have Minis?
    ...
    Is this enough spacing for you Guys? Wow,SMH!
    First, I think the basic idea about the space-bar and return key, is about the creation of paragraphs instead of a massive block of text and spaces in appropriate places, not line spacing. It helps the ability to read, understand, and respond to pieces of thought. Take a look at some of the other posts, then compare it to your own. Sorry if we made a bit of a joke at your expense.

    No, the problem isn't with the use of physical discs or even burning them, necessarily. It is with the idea that Apple would have to build it into their laptops. Does HP still do that? Not the laptops competing with the MBP, from what I know.

    That said, burning discs is getting more and more rare, and it actually isn't a very good way of archiving data in terms of longevity and reliability... I was just pointing that out.

    Just because Apple's own DVD player app might not be getting updated (maybe it will), doesn't mean disc media will be completely unusable. So long as they have drivers as part of the OS, you'll be able to use external drives and access the content. I suppose it might require a 3rd party app if you want to directly play the discs on your computer. I'm not sure that is such a bad thing, but I guess to each their own.

    The reason I see this as different from USB-A or possibly Ethernet (though some would say to get rid of those too), is that these are still widely in use, or I might even say prevalent/necessary (though Ethernet isn't as widely used anymore, sometimes it is necessary). My main problem with USB-A getting dropped is that nearly everything in existence then needs an adapter, as there isn't much USB-C stuff around yet.

    As for spare tires, my car doesn't have a spare, full size or not (because it was originally equipped with run-flats, which I've replaced, as they are horrible). The last time I had a flat tire was back in the '80s. That's not to say it can't happen, and for some types of vehicles or trips is still a good idea (like a truck on mining roads, or a trip through the Yukon). In the grand scheme, though, there are countless number of other problems that could leave my car stranded, and it isn't like swapping tires is a task of regular driving (like it once was).

    Times and technologies do change. IMO, it is about an appropriate balance between keeping useful things around, but not keeping them around too long after they are superseded.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    I know that you Guys don't think I know what a space-bar or return key is, or how to use one!. I just happened to be burning a Disc,Streaming Music,and using a High-Speed

    Cable Modem, at the same time. LOL! I multi-task a lot,Dinosaur that I am! I agree with you,that each person must find the balance that works for them. The article didn't give

    reason to expect support for even third-party Apps. I have stayed at El Capitan,because I don't like the Bugs and Glitches in Sierra and High Sierra,so I can still burn/play

    Discs, and use third-party Software such as Burn,which allows me to make copies of Discs and Music from DJ's that may not have been bought commercially. HP,Lenovo,and

    Dell offer Laptops,up to 17",with USB-C,USB3.0,Ethernet<Bluetooth,Memory Card Readers,HDMI,and Mini Display Port. They all sell more Laptops than Apple!
  • Reply 76 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 53member
    I don't like Windows OS 10, or earlier versions,even though I had to use versions of it at work for over 20 years!  I wouldn't buy a Lenovo,Dell,or HP with my own money,but I don't like Apple putting Form over Function,either. Taking functionality away, for thinness,is ridiculous. Dongle-City is Crazy,too. My 17' MacBook Pro is one-inch thick,but I guess that's too big for Modern-Day Pros,except the competition still offers them,with more Ports,for Hundreds less! In some cases,over a thousand dollars less.  

    I remember when Computer-users said that buying a Mac was stupid,because the World was Using Windows and Office!  That didn't pan out,and neither did those that said that Apple couldn't just jump into the Smartphone market.  Look at what happened to Windows and Microsoft Office! They are either getting out of it,or giving it away! Look how many Students,Business people,and Journalists use Mac Laptops-without the need for Windows or MS Office! 
  • Reply 77 of 162
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 1,580member
    macike said:
    You can calm down,too. I have an optical drive in my iMac and MacBook Pro. I have an external drive from OWC connected to my iMac,so I'm not currently having problems

    burning Discs. The near future may be different though, which was the premise of the article I referred to. According to you Guys,anyone who still burn Discs, or watch

    DVD's,or listen to CD's,they're a Dinosaur that's lost in time! You all have repeatedly berated ANYONE who even suggested that they still enjoy accessing their libraries of

    physical-media! You also assumed that people who play Discs, don't stream ,or have subscription-services! Your use-case doesn't fit with everyone else,is what I was trying to

    show. The Executive in the article spoke about large markets like Japan,Germany,and France. Is that insignificant? I proved that people still burn and listen to them,companies

    still sell them and duplicate them,and you assume that I don't know about VLC!  LOL! Really? They still sold a Billion dollars of DVD's in 2016, you know.  I see that you're

    focused on my spacebar,well if it's bad,like the keyboards,Apple made it.  Why are other Makers still including DVD/CD drives in their lineups! Why do they still have USB-A

    ports and Ethernet connections? Are they all stupid and lost? HP,Dell,and Lenovo include burners,and the all have more market-share than Apple! Should we get rid of all of

    the Full-Size Spare tires, because some vehicles have Minis? Should we make fun of people who still use keys for their Home doors,just because you can unlock it with a

    Smartphone?  Is it stupid to listen to FM/AM now,because streaming is available? What makes you think that I don't do all three, and stream through my iPhone with an Apple

    Music subscription?  Thank God, I didn't buy a Mac with a Butterfly keyboard. Is this enough spacing for you Guys? Wow,SMH!
    The spacebar thing is with regard to your lack of spaces after nearly every comma. The return key thing is your giant single paragraphs that have now become massive paragraphs with weird line breaks in them now. Just poking fun, but now explaining the joke like Jay Leno.

    Nobody is saying you can't access your physical media! You went on a diatribe about the lack of updates to DVD player, and the lack of optical in the MacBook Pro, and that you'd need an adapter to even use an external drive while ignoring the fact you can just buy a USB-C DVD-R drive on Amazon. You could hot glue it to the lid of your MacBook if you want. There is literally nothing stopping you from using DVDs/CDs, but if you're going to complain about the lack of a *built-in* optical drive in Apple laptops, well you've got a long road ahead of you and you're not going to get much sympathy from others who don't want to carry that shit around with them. Anyone in this day and age lugging CDs around in a mobile situation can figure it out and leave everyone else out of it. In a desktop environment, there's no reason to complain at all.
  • Reply 78 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,521member
    macike said:
    I know that you Guys don't think I know what a space-bar or return key is, or how to use one!.
    Sorry, we made a joke at your expense, though maybe a bit in an attempt to prod you to break up the huge text blocks. :) It was just too convenient in a timing way, given all the reports about keyboard problems on the newer MacBook Pros.

    macike said:
    I don't like Windows OS 10, or earlier versions,even though I had to use versions of it at work for over 20 years!
    ...
    I remember when Computer-users said that buying a Mac was stupid,because the World was Using Windows and Office!  That didn't pan out,and neither did those that said that Apple couldn't just jump into the Smartphone market.  Look at what happened to Windows and Microsoft Office! They are either getting out of it,or giving it away! Look how many Students,Business people,and Journalists use Mac Laptops-without the need for Windows or MS Office! 
    Yes, same here. I used Windows pretty extensively up until like 2007 for work (though I've had a personal Mac since the early-90s, and used them since the later-80s). So, I'm not a Mac user because i can't handle Windows. The Mac was just much better for productivity and especially creative work. It still is, but it's slipping.

    Yea, most of the world just didn't even get the Mac, they just assumed and listened to everyone else that it wasn't a serious computer and such. It was always annoying to talk to quite otherwise intelligent IT people who were just clueless about why they were rejecting one tech over another (in their field of study, no less). And, yes, things are changing. When I started grad-school (2007... 2nd career type stuff) there were maybe like 20% of us using Macs. By 2011 when I graduated, I'd say it was more like 50-60%. Now, it's rare to see a PC out and about, at least where I live now... a bit more common in other places.

    The software thing is interesting, though. There is quite a great divide. Traditional business is still solidly entrenched in MS software, while nearly any startup I've worked with is more likely to use Goole Docs. I actually think both suck. I use Pages now, which is kind of OK for occasional use or what I do now. During grad-school I used Nisus Writer (which isn't around anymore), but IMO, it blew Word out of the water.

    I've found that across my IT career though... people seldom use the best software out there. They use what others use or is popular. You'd think those would be overlapping circles, but they generally aren't. When I was doing CAD/3D animation, I used an app that ran circles around the AutoCAD using firms we worked with. I used an animation/rendering app called ElectricImage which was popular for a time, but was kind of the secret-weapon in toolkits for places like ILM, but is hardly known any longer.

    I remember once consulting with a medium sized business that was crossing into a large one, and they were convinced they needed Lotus Notes because some other Fortune 100s used it. I couldn't talk them out of it, and it was a horrible disaster (I heard via the grapevine). A lot of these big companies went with stuff because they had to, not because it was the best. And, then smaller companies copied the bigger ones, without really knowing why.
  • Reply 79 of 162
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 281member
    cgWerks said:
    macike said:
    I know that you Guys don't think I know what a space-bar or return key is, or how to use one!.
    Sorry, we made a joke at your expense, though maybe a bit in an attempt to prod you to break up the huge text blocks. :) It was just too convenient in a timing way, given all the reports about keyboard problems on the newer MacBook Pros.

    macike said:
    I don't like Windows OS 10, or earlier versions,even though I had to use versions of it at work for over 20 years!
    ...
    I remember when Computer-users said that buying a Mac was stupid,because the World was Using Windows and Office!  That didn't pan out,and neither did those that said that Apple couldn't just jump into the Smartphone market.  Look at what happened to Windows and Microsoft Office! They are either getting out of it,or giving it away! Look how many Students,Business people,and Journalists use Mac Laptops-without the need for Windows or MS Office! 
    Yes, same here. I used Windows pretty extensively up until like 2007 for work (though I've had a personal Mac since the early-90s, and used them since the later-80s). So, I'm not a Mac user because i can't handle Windows. The Mac was just much better for productivity and especially creative work. It still is, but it's slipping.

    Yea, most of the world just didn't even get the Mac, they just assumed and listened to everyone else that it wasn't a serious computer and such. It was always annoying to talk to quite otherwise intelligent IT people who were just clueless about why they were rejecting one tech over another (in their field of study, no less). And, yes, things are changing. When I started grad-school (2007... 2nd career type stuff) there were maybe like 20% of us using Macs. By 2011 when I graduated, I'd say it was more like 50-60%. Now, it's rare to see a PC out and about, at least where I live now... a bit more common in other places.

    The software thing is interesting, though. There is quite a great divide. Traditional business is still solidly entrenched in MS software, while nearly any startup I've worked with is more likely to use Goole Docs. I actually think both suck. I use Pages now, which is kind of OK for occasional use or what I do now. During grad-school I used Nisus Writer (which isn't around anymore), but IMO, it blew Word out of the water.

    I've found that across my IT career though... people seldom use the best software out there. They use what others use or is popular. You'd think those would be overlapping circles, but they generally aren't. When I was doing CAD/3D animation, I used an app that ran circles around the AutoCAD using firms we worked with. I used an animation/rendering app called ElectricImage which was popular for a time, but was kind of the secret-weapon in toolkits for places like ILM, but is hardly known any longer.

    I remember once consulting with a medium sized business that was crossing into a large one, and they were convinced they needed Lotus Notes because some other Fortune 100s used it. I couldn't talk them out of it, and it was a horrible disaster (I heard via the grapevine). A lot of these big companies went with stuff because they had to, not because it was the best. And, then smaller companies copied the bigger ones, without really knowing why.
    From a personal perspective, Windows isn't always necessary.  I've been using Unix-like systems in most of my stuffs, and as long as you understand how, it will work perfectly.  That said, I still have to face Windows when it's used in public.
  • Reply 80 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,521member
    DuhSesame said:
    From a personal perspective, Windows isn't always necessary.  I've been using Unix-like systems in most of my stuffs, and as long as you understand how, it will work perfectly.  That said, I still have to face Windows when it's used in public.
    I've used Unix some, but it has been a few years (well, more like a decade) since I did much with it either professionally (servers) or personally (MythTV).

    Has it come far in terms of desktop-like-GUI use? It was quite rough back then... kind of a 'Windows-lite' like shell over the command line with some fancy installers. Also, what about apps? I don't think several of the apps I use would have Linux versions... and the stuff like Gimp is horribly clunky.

    I'm sure I could make it work... but would I be happier than just using Windows besides having better underpinnings?
    Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh, but that has been my experience with it so far... but again, at least a decade old.
Sign In or Register to comment.