Apple Maps extends to the web with MapKit JS beta

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2018
Apple is expanding what can be done with Apple Maps, announcing at WWDC 2018 that MapKit JS can be used to embed maps within a website, a function that has been offered by its competition for a considerable amount of time.

MapKit JS WWDC 2018 Apple Maps

MapKit JS is a feature that has been used by Apple for some time, with it powering the maps viewable in the Find My iPhone function on iCloud.com, store searches on the Apple website, and the WWDC 2018 website. The same function is now able to be used by developers in beta, allowing it to be embedded on their own sites.

Functionally similar to the existing MapKit provided to iOS app developers, MapKit JS can display a defined map area of the developer's choosing, pinpoint locations in user searches, and navigational directions between two places. The only real difference between the two versions is that MapKit JS is a JavaScript API that renders within a browser, rather than within an app.

Developers can also add annotations and overlays to the map to customize it, with additional options to display a standard street map or satellite imagery. It is also possible for the map to enable or disable panning, zooming, and rotation, depending on what is required.

As part of its optimization for assorted browsers and device types, MapKit JS also supports standard touchscreen gestures, including pinch-to-zoom and two-finger rotation.

Most users on recent hardware will see the map rendered in WebGL, which provides smooth transitions when zooming, and more control over how labels and annotations work in relation to other map elements. For low-performance devices and other limiting situations, MapKit JS can automatically adapt to a mode that uses image tiles, an older map rendering technology.

Developers are required to sign up through their Apple Developer account and obtain a key, in order to use the MapKit JS beta. There is a free-usage limitation of 250,000 map initializations per key per day, as well as 25,000 service requests which covers geocoding and searches, with developers requiring higher allocations needing to contact Apple on the matter.

The introduction of MapKit JS brings Apple Maps in line with its online mapping rivals, as both Microsoft's Bing Maps and Google Maps already allow developers to embed maps in webpages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’ve been using Google Maps (almost exclusively) for years.  I recently gave Apple Maps another try.  The directions were “turn East at the upcoming intersection”... etc.

So, not only am I unfamiliar with my surroundings Apple wants me to find where the F’n sun is?

Maybe I’ll give Apple Maps a try in another few years... when they figure out how to use Left/Right for directions.

Maybe Apple will do better with their website embedded maps...
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 36
    How long has Apple been driving those multisensor cars around the world with seemingly little or nothing to show for it? Maps info and intelligence are still lacking, and still no street view type feature?

I'm tired of being patient waiting for Apple to get their act together regarding the basic functionality of their most common services..

Siri is still a chore to use for anything but setting alarms.

Siri can't even get dictation right ffs:
    Every time I try to dictate a message there's no customization or learning; for example, I don't know of a single person that types "ha ha"; it's always "haha" or "hahaha", but siri dictates "ha ha" for some reason. Or the word "ok"; I've never typed it as "OK", and I've only see other people type it as "OK" about 1/100 times, but that's what siri decides to dictate, every single time, instead of how people normally type it, which is "ok" or "okay".

Maps gives me faulty instructions/info fairly often and hasn't had a meaningful update in a while. (What was the last thing, lane assist a year ago?)

Emails somehow got worse and more convoluted when trying to follow email threads, still very little in the way of email management.

Despite Apple's bizarre claim that 1/2 of merchants use Apple Pay.. THEY DO NOT. (I go out of my way to find and use Apple Pay and it's nowhere near 1/2, despite it being an amazing service.) Even the starbucks **app** got more transactions than Apple Pay, despite Apple Pay being much easier to use, and despite that Apple Pay is accepted at all starbucks locations....kind of unbelievable.

I can't be the only one getting inpatient after years and years of stagnation. It's getting fucking annoying.

I love my X, series 2, ipad pro, airpods, homepod (well, siri kind of kills that one for now) ..my 7 yo macbook air is still going strong (relatively, haha). At this point, it's starting to feel like I'm getting screwed over by Apple neglecting to keep its services up to par (unlike Apple's hardware and core software, which of course continue to be in a league of thier own).
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 3 of 36
    The directions were “turn East at the upcoming intersection”... etc.
    I use Apple Maps all the time. Now that I have a 2 year old who likes to learn street names we even use the spoken navigation to go places we know how to get to just so the street names will be spoken. My 2 year old hears the name of the road and then repeats it (over and over). 

I’ve never been told to turn to a point in the compass. It’s alwasy “turn left” or “turn right”. Sometimes, when it’s appropriate, it will be “turn right onto Route 95 North” but not once has it said, “turn north”. Even when I’m “off-road” the directions are “proceed to the highlighted route”,  not “proceed north to the highlighted route”. 
    StrangeDaysEsquireCatsjose_garciawatto_cobrajony0SuttaDost
  • Reply 4 of 36
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    I’ve been using Google Maps (almost exclusively) for years.  I recently gave Apple Maps another try.  The directions were “turn East at the upcoming intersection”... etc.

So, not only am I unfamiliar with my surroundings Apple wants me to find where the F’n sun is?

Maybe I’ll give Apple Maps a try in another few years... when they figure out how to use Left/Right for directions.

I call BS.

I use Apple Maps regularly and I always get left & right turn notices. I don't even think I've ever been told to turn "East". On the major freeways near me (4-5 lanes) it also gives me advance warning to get into the right two lanes (for example) with a clear graphic showing all the lanes and which ones I should be in. I also get orange and red lines on my maps that clearly show where traffic is heavy.

My wife (a nurse who does out patient visits) also uses Apple Maps multiple times per day and finds it very accurate.

2012 called and want their meme back.
    edited June 2018 ihatescreennameslkruppmattinozStrangeDaysEsquireCatsjkichlinewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Bull💩
    lkruppStrangeDaysjkichlinebonobobwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So, will Apple offer their own website with a public mapping option, or are they expecting some startup do do the work to create a new mapping website powered by their MapKitJS?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

You just took a crap out of your mouth, you didn't fracking use Apple Maps. You are a liar.
    lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 36
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member

I have never had any problem with Apple Maps.o
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I've literally logged THOUSANDS of hours using Apple maps navigation, in dozens of cities and several countries, from big cities to highways, and not ONCE did I ever see such a directive. So, either you're trolling/lying, or you were unlucky enough to encounter something so incredibly rare and abnormal that nobody else has ever experienced it. I've been using Apple maps for the past couple years with zero issues, it has taken me where I wanted to go 100% of the time, with usually clearer directions than Google maps. Everyone in my family also uses it without issue. 

I'd suggest you give Apple maps another shot (if you're actually being honest) as your characterization sounds completely ridiculous, as a heavy user of the app that relies on it all the time. But something tells me you're full of it. 
    edited June 2018 StrangeDayscornchipfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I'm going to give @seanismorris the benefit of the doubt and assume he heard East in reference to a road labeled East.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 36
    I want to know how to access the map tiles in QGIS. Can anyone help?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I want to know how to access the map tiles in QGIS. Can anyone help?
    Why not contact their support and ask?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    I'm going to give @seanismorris the benefit of the doubt and assume he heard East in reference to a road labeled East.
    I agree. Some roads are known to be East / West routes and the signposts use that designation. Around here I may take the 40 East or West, and Apple will tell me that. But when it comes to filtering or lane changes Apple will never say East or West.
    edited June 2018 jkichlinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Soli said:
    As in maybe an East Bound slip road to a highway. I get that as a possibly but the siri reading would have had looks of other information as well. So I don't buy him only hearing "Turn East".

Hey at least Apple maps knows where the fronts of houses are. Google (at least in Australia) always wants to go to the back of a property if it has two streets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

How odd, mine doesn’t do that and instead says turn Right/Left. Strange indeed that it doesn’t work for you, one who routinely bashes Apple, but does work for me. How can this be?

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 36
    How long has Apple been driving those multisensor cars around the world with seemingly little or nothing to show for it? Maps info and intelligence are still lacking, and still no street view type feature?

I'm tired of being patient waiting for Apple to get their act together regarding the basic functionality of their most common services..

Siri is still a chore to use for anything but setting alarms.

Siri can't even get dictation right ffs:
    Every time I try to dictate a message there's no customization or learning; for example, I don't know of a single person that types "ha ha"; it's always "haha" or "hahaha", but siri dictates "ha ha" for some reason. Or the word "ok"; I've never typed it as "OK", and I've only see other people type it as "OK" about 1/100 times, but that's what siri decides to dictate, every single time, instead of how people normally type it, which is "ok" or "okay".

Maps gives me faulty instructions/info fairly often and hasn't had a meaningful update in a while. (What was the last thing, lane assist a year ago?)

Emails somehow got worse and more convoluted when trying to follow email threads, still very little in the way of email management.

Despite Apple's bizarre claim that 1/2 of merchants use Apple Pay.. THEY DO NOT. (I go out of my way to find and use Apple Pay and it's nowhere near 1/2, despite it being an amazing service.) Even the starbucks **app** got more transactions than Apple Pay, despite Apple Pay being much easier to use, and despite that Apple Pay is accepted at all starbucks locations....kind of unbelievable.

I can't be the only one getting inpatient after years and years of stagnation. It's getting fucking annoying.

I love my X, series 2, ipad pro, airpods, homepod (well, siri kind of kills that one for now) ..my 7 yo macbook air is still going strong (relatively, haha). At this point, it's starting to feel like I'm getting screwed over by Apple neglecting to keep its services up to par (unlike Apple's hardware and core software, which of course continue to be in a league of thier own).
    1) who cares if you’re tired of waiting for unannounced features? It’s not your company, and you’re not involved with the projects and challenges, so your position of being tired is completely irrelevant. Start your own company and work nimbly, beat ‘em to the market...gotta be easy, right?

2) years of stagnation, yet you claim you have a X, AirPods, HomePod, iPad Pro, Watch...all amazing products that lead in their categories (yup, even the HP, its audio tech is much more advanced). Opposite of stagnation. 

3) If you feel you’re being victimized by Apple, why are you still here? What’s stopping you from getting a Dell and a Pixel and some chinese knockoff AirPods? Why are you letting yourself be a victim over and over? 

edited June 2018 cornchipRayz2016Cesar Battistini Mazierofastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 36

Soli said:
    So, will Apple offer their own website with a public mapping option, or are they expecting some startup do do the work to create a new mapping website powered by their MapKitJS?
    What’s the value for Apple to do so? To get directions I use my iphone and native Maps. If at my desktop Mac I use Maps and then push them to my iphone.
  • Reply 18 of 36

Soli said:
    Even so, such stupidity in passing incorrect judgement warrants no benefit.
    EsquireCatsRayz2016jony0
  • Reply 19 of 36

Soli said:
    What’s the value for Apple to do so? To get directions I use my iphone and native Maps. If at my desktop Mac I use Maps and then push them to my iphone.
    Well, I'm not sure how it works now, but if you share Maps data with someone via iOS or macOS to another device it will start off as a maps.apple.com/ link which will then open into Google Maps.

I'd love for that to open into an Apple Maps website so that 1) everything is consistent, 2) Google not getting any additional data on users, and 3) no ads. It would also allow those that can't spend all day on iOS or macOS, like those that use Windows or Linux at work to be able to access Apple Maps directly in a browser. Again, the benefits are consistency, a lack of tracking, and no ads.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Soli said:
    Even so, such stupidity in passing incorrect judgement warrants no benefit.
    I'm interested in how he could've come to that conclusion, over just calling him stupid for having made an incorrect assessment.
    jony0