Former Apple employee pleads not guilty to stealing self-driving car trade secrets

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Fatman said:
    Question: If he successfully left the country would he be treated in China as a criminal or a hero?
    There are more than two options, and one of those is an extreme. It could be that he wouldn't be charged with a crime under Chinese law, but that doesn't mean he'd he a hero.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    Google top execs would all have shit planning abilities if this were enforced ... wait a minute ...
    SpamSandwichcornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:
    Do you suppose the Chinese government might now be paying for his “personal lawyer.” He had a public defender, now he has a paid lawyer. Hmmmm.
    You are being brain washed by the media and US government and law makers. They try to link every illegal activity with Chinese government, This is what Trump called fake news. What really happened in China has happened many times trough history in many countries. China was a very poor third world country failing to industrialize for over two hundred years. When Deng finally enabled China to open up with the western world in 1979, Chinese people saw their backwardness and are very eager to catch up. Some people use illegal methods to copy/steal western technology. But Chinese government has very little to do with is unless it is related to military. You see, I use so many words to explain this. The media and US government and law makers every if they know this they would not spend the time to explain to American people. So they simplify things and blame every thing on Chinese government. I think the Russian matters are similar mentality. 

    To explain further, I think Zhang was a your engineer and eager for success and money. The popularity of self driving cars inspired several Chinese companies trying to develop it. They try to hire talents. Zhang took the opportunity of working with Apple and try to promote himself with what he got from Apple. But the whole matter I see little relationship with Chinese government. I think you need to reeducate yourself to update your understanding of what is happening in China. 
  • Reply 26 of 41
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    svanstrom said:
    Fatman said:
    Hey Apple, here’s some advice ‘don’t hire someone named Zhang. The stereotype is all too often true. I work with Chinese companies[…]

    There are currently more than 100 million people worldwide named Zhang.

    You have fifth generation Americans named Zhang; you have dissidents that would "disappear" if they ever went back to China, named Zhang; you probably could find a bunch of people of all kinds of ethnicities that due to marriage/adoption/whatever are named Zhang…

    Don't be a racist asshole when your thoughts just as easily could be expressed as "be careful about hiring people with still strong connections to China".

    Which, to be honest, is more or less a meaningless thing to say, because we already know that companies like Apple spend a lot of time and money vetting the people that they hire.
    Congrats, you just won the SJW of the year award. How many times does China and Chinese people need to steal from us before we take it seriously? This happens across companies and across industries. Stop feeling bad for the poor poor chinese as they rape and pillage us. We educate them at our schools at the expense of American students and we hire them at our companies at the expense of Americans and they turn around and do this to us. Enough is enough!
  • Reply 27 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    SpamSandwichAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Trump administration should or has been doing to demand Chinese government o bring China up to respect IP the same as western nations. Wait! aren't Microsoft and Google American companies? I think all readers on this web site knew very well how these two American companies have been copying/stealing from Apple so much. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 41
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Fatman said:
    Hey Apple, here’s some advice ‘don’t hire someone named Zhang. The stereotype is all too often true. I work with Chinese companies, one that is ‘backed by the government’ they are ruthless and dishonest and don’t value contract agreements. They intercept data from competing firms, and always seem to know what prices you offer others. Their patent process is an absolute joke - you must assume your IP and processes will be stolen, just a matter of how long it takes them to offer a knock off. Sorry if I offend anyone - just the truth.
    If Apple stopped working with Chinese people, your phone price would triple considering they're all made in China and plenty of parts are from Taiwan.
    Every tear down analysis says the manufacturing adds $5 to the cost and the total parts price is ~ $200 and not all the parts are made in China. The glass screen in made in the US. So it would not come anywhere close to tripling if Apple stopped working with Chinese people as you say.
    cornchip
  • Reply 30 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    tzeshan said:
    Trump administration should or has been doing to demand Chinese government o bring China up to respect IP the same as western nations. Wait! aren't Microsoft and Google American companies? I think all readers on this web site knew very well how these two American companies have been copying/stealing from Apple so much. 
    Well, I can't argue there.  Except to say at least the ill gotten gains remained within our borders and not used to finance a growing global threat ... but then again ...  ;)
  • Reply 31 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 32 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC,  hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    StrangeDaysavon b7Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    MacPro said:
    tzeshan said:
    Trump administration should or has been doing to demand Chinese government o bring China up to respect IP the same as western nations. Wait! aren't Microsoft and Google American companies? I think all readers on this web site knew very well how these two American companies have been copying/stealing from Apple so much. 
    Well, I can't argue there.  Except to say at least the ill gotten gains remained within our borders and not used to finance a growing global threat ... but then again ...  ;)
    Do you know US has been a global threat since after WWII? How many wars US military has engaged and how many people has been killed? 
  • Reply 34 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC, hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    I certainly don’t see any parts of his comment that constitute a joke. Could you detail how it’s a joke? Does that also mean his other extreme comments, espcially toward Obama and Hillary, are also jokes that I simply didn’t get instead of it being wishful thinking on his part?

    Do you think he’d have the same “joke” if, say, Russia hacked and crashed Google servers and stole their IP or if Apple was accused of stealing someone else’s idea(s)? Personally, I’d take the former as an attack on an American company by a hostile gov’t, but with the amount of disdain Google has on this forum I’m not sure that many here would take issue with it.

    PS: I've always made both serious and jocular comments. Often I mix them together to make my post more entertaining. Not everyone will find my comments funny, and that's fine. I even made what I consider a humorous comment in this thread (post #7).
    edited July 2018 gatorguyAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC, hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    I certainly don’t see any parts of his comment that constitute a joke. Could you detail how it’s a joke? Does that also mean his other extreme comments, espcially toward Obama and Hillary, are also jokes that I simply didn’t get instead of it being wishful thinking on his part?

    Do you think he’d have the same “joke” if, say, Russia hacked and crashed Google servers and stole their IP or if Apple was accused of stealing someone else’s idea(s)? Personally, I’d take the former as an attack on an American company by a hostile gov’t, but with the amount of disdain Google has on this forum I’m not sure that many here would take issue with it.

    PS: I've always made both serious and jocular comments. Often I mix them together to make my post more entertaining. Not everyone will find my comments funny, and that's fine. I even made what I consider a humorous comment in this thread (post #7).
    The only part he wrote that I read today was ...  and I quote was "The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.", I had not read anything other than that.  That was the beginning of a thread.  I had not been reading every post from the top.  So I can only assume you are referring to a previous thread I hadn't followed and in which we would most likely be on the same page.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC, hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    I certainly don’t see any parts of his comment that constitute a joke. Could you detail how it’s a joke? Does that also mean his other extreme comments, espcially toward Obama and Hillary, are also jokes that I simply didn’t get instead of it being wishful thinking on his part?

    Do you think he’d have the same “joke” if, say, Russia hacked and crashed Google servers and stole their IP or if Apple was accused of stealing someone else’s idea(s)? Personally, I’d take the former as an attack on an American company by a hostile gov’t, but with the amount of disdain Google has on this forum I’m not sure that many here would take issue with it.

    PS: I've always made both serious and jocular comments. Often I mix them together to make my post more entertaining. Not everyone will find my comments funny, and that's fine. I even made what I consider a humorous comment in this thread (post #7).
    The only part he wrote that I read today was ...  and I quote was "The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.", I had not read anything other than that.  That was the beginning of a thread.  I had not been reading every post from the top.  So I can only assume you are referring to a previous thread I hadn't followed and in which we would most likely be on the same page.
    Read what comments you want to read (I certainly don't read every common or even every article), but it should be noted that the use of thread in terms of forums are determined by the conversation, not page numbers. While there can be multiple threads off the original article, we tend to refer to these as threads even thought the topic has changes, unless it's unclear at which point it may need to be more clear that there's a subthread or different conversation being had within the main thread (which isn't uncommon).
    Alex1N
  • Reply 37 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC, hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    I certainly don’t see any parts of his comment that constitute a joke. Could you detail how it’s a joke? Does that also mean his other extreme comments, espcially toward Obama and Hillary, are also jokes that I simply didn’t get instead of it being wishful thinking on his part?

    Do you think he’d have the same “joke” if, say, Russia hacked and crashed Google servers and stole their IP or if Apple was accused of stealing someone else’s idea(s)? Personally, I’d take the former as an attack on an American company by a hostile gov’t, but with the amount of disdain Google has on this forum I’m not sure that many here would take issue with it.

    PS: I've always made both serious and jocular comments. Often I mix them together to make my post more entertaining. Not everyone will find my comments funny, and that's fine. I even made what I consider a humorous comment in this thread (post #7).
    The only part he wrote that I read today was ...  and I quote was "The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.", I had not read anything other than that.  That was the beginning of a thread.  I had not been reading every post from the top.  So I can only assume you are referring to a previous thread I hadn't followed and in which we would most likely be on the same page.
    Obviously it was a joke. I don't even know why I should feel compelled to address this absurdity.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

    Soli said:
    The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.
    So industrial espionage and a 12yo that illegally copies a song from the internet should both be met with the same punishment… a lobotomy?

    Of course, in your statement, that's only if the industrial espionage actually involves theft of IP. Does that mean that If they just destroyed equipment or ruined product then there's no crime committed in your eyes?

    Personally, I don't think crimes and their punishments should be made using Code of Hammurabi-like blanket statements.
    Your sense of humor has gone to hell and a hand basket and pedantry seems to have taken over.  Out of curiosity, what happened to the good old, fun guy I used to chat to over a decade ago here called Solipsism, are you in fact the same guy?  He was early 30's back then, made enough money on shares to be semi retired and full of joie de vivre.
    Are you suggesting his comment is a joke?
    Actually yes I did even if not maybe 2018 level PC, hence my jocular response above,  but in truth I was thinking of many of the replies I've received from you in recent years and it just made me miss Solipism.  You didn't answer that question.
    I certainly don’t see any parts of his comment that constitute a joke. Could you detail how it’s a joke? Does that also mean his other extreme comments, espcially toward Obama and Hillary, are also jokes that I simply didn’t get instead of it being wishful thinking on his part?

    Do you think he’d have the same “joke” if, say, Russia hacked and crashed Google servers and stole their IP or if Apple was accused of stealing someone else’s idea(s)? Personally, I’d take the former as an attack on an American company by a hostile gov’t, but with the amount of disdain Google has on this forum I’m not sure that many here would take issue with it.

    PS: I've always made both serious and jocular comments. Often I mix them together to make my post more entertaining. Not everyone will find my comments funny, and that's fine. I even made what I consider a humorous comment in this thread (post #7).
    The only part he wrote that I read today was ...  and I quote was "The penalty for IP theft should be lobotomy.", I had not read anything other than that.  That was the beginning of a thread.  I had not been reading every post from the top.  So I can only assume you are referring to a previous thread I hadn't followed and in which we would most likely be on the same page.
    Obviously it was a joke. I don't even know why I should feel compelled to address this absurdity.
    I guess I don't understand how jokes work. Would you please explain why that comment is a joke. Does this mean all other such comments about draconian and excessively harsh actions towards people you've mention in similar ways just other attempts at humour?
    edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 41
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    6502 said:
    svanstrom said:
    Fatman said:
    Hey Apple, here’s some advice ‘don’t hire someone named Zhang. The stereotype is all too often true. I work with Chinese companies[…]

    There are currently more than 100 million people worldwide named Zhang.

    You have fifth generation Americans named Zhang; you have dissidents that would "disappear" if they ever went back to China, named Zhang; you probably could find a bunch of people of all kinds of ethnicities that due to marriage/adoption/whatever are named Zhang…

    Don't be a racist asshole when your thoughts just as easily could be expressed as "be careful about hiring people with still strong connections to China".

    Which, to be honest, is more or less a meaningless thing to say, because we already know that companies like Apple spend a lot of time and money vetting the people that they hire.
    Congrats, you just won the SJW of the year award. How many times does China and Chinese people need to steal from us before we take it seriously? This happens across companies and across industries. Stop feeling bad for the poor poor chinese as they rape and pillage us. We educate them at our schools at the expense of American students and we hire them at our companies at the expense of Americans and they turn around and do this to us. Enough is enough!
    You think that the Chinese that are spending a minor fortune on a schools in the US, and at the same time putting money into the US economy while living there, are doing it at the "expense" of the Americans? That's just ridiculous; if you want to talk about freeloaders as far as education then you should keep your own people from coming to Europe to take advantage of completely free studies at universities.

    One greedy Chinese guy stealing trade secrets to work at a Chinese company is a capitalistic problem; not some evil plot put together jointly by all the 1.4 billion people in China.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 41
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    Soli said:
    If he said he didn't do it, then I believe him. If you asked him 3 times and he said he's innocent then he must be innocent by the laws of the current reality.
    Was he extremely strong and powerful in his denial today? 
    Solianton zuykov
Sign In or Register to comment.