Where is Apple's innovative iPad, MacBook Pro hardware to rival Microsoft's Surface?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    AppleZulu said:
    But. But. Surface Go has a built-in kickstand. That offers multiple viewing angles.
    "And the Zune is available in brown!"
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,892member
    vukasika said:
    What intially pulled my toward the Surface line up was the pen & inking. I know good ole’ Steve Jobs didn’t like stylus but that ingores the segment of the market 30+ years old whole spent their formative years learning via writing and still do most of our thinking and brainstorming in handwriting.
    Oh man not that one again. This has been beat to death, but Jobs didn't come out against the stylus as an optional artistic or writing device. His comments were in relation to mobile devices that *required* a stylus to operate, as in the UI was designed for a stylus and not a finger. It may be hard to believe now, but that was once the case. See the old Palms, etc. 
    edited July 2018 mattinozradarthekatwilliamlondoncornchipwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 63 of 89

jmulchino said:
    jmulchino said:
    Yes, a surprising article with some muddled logic (“locker room talk”? Huh?). And the tone is a bit dismissive of Apple’s recent troubles with the i9 processor. (“Non-engineer YouTubers”) Example: In another story published by AI, Apple actually worked with the “non-engineer” to apparently resolve the issue. 

Most AI readers don’t really care about Samsung, Microsoft, etc. offerings, so why the paranoia? Is it to stifle legitimate criticism by AI readers on Apple? Methinks so. 

And lastly, where is the updated Mac Mini? Cook promised and update. “It’s in our future” Remember. Which future?
    You lost bro?

I enjoyed this editorial piece. And despite your claim, we discuss these brands every week. 

Please quote when Cook said they’d get you a new mini by. Thanks. 
    Not lost, dude! So why write something snarky about a fellow poster? I’m glad you enjoyed the editorial. Does that mean I can’t post a dissenting opinion without the snark? And just Google “Cook” and “Mac Mini” and you’ll find your answer. I’d love a new Mac Mini. 
    1) when you suggest there is a AI conspiracy to "stifle criticism", then yes, I will reply w/ snark. That's tinfoil hat nonsense.

2) Nope, still no quotable date by Cook that he's getting you an updated mini, or the date by which it will come. Links, or it didn't happen.
    williamlondonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 64 of 89

jmulchino said:

What’s the purpose of this editorial? Did someone recently write a pro-Microsoft article that bashed Apple? How about writing an Apple editorial instead. Like maybe one saying their laptop line is a bit of a mess right now and the MBA, MB and non-TB MBP should be combined into one device. Or with regards to desktops either update the Mac mini or discontinue it already.
    What’s the purpose of your whining every time DED publishes a new editorial in his regular column? You sound insecure.
    I hate it when posters accuse other posters of “whining”. That is what the Comments section is for. You are confusing criticism with whining. So let me ask this question: are you one of those who worships everything Apple does and blindly agree with everything Apple does?
    Nope, nor do I know anyone who does that. It's just a silly straw man you and others prop up from time to time.

As for Rogi, yes, she whines about DED's opinion column every. single. time. And yet....keeps reading them, knowing this is the beat his column focuses on. That's nonsensical. 

Insanity -- "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
    radarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 65 of 89
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,851moderator

k2kw said:
    What’s the purpose of this editorial? Did someone recently write a pro-Microsoft article that bashed Apple? How about writing an Apple editorial instead. Like maybe one saying their laptop line is a bit of a mess right now and the MBA, MB and non-TB MBP should be combined into one device. Or with regards to desktops either update the Mac mini or discontinue it already.
    I was really impressed by how last year DED critisized Microsoft for having a bad Quarter because customers were waiting for a Surface Refresh and this year blasts them when it rebounds.   

Other than thAt difference seems like this is a retread of editorials from before.

I will say it again.   TouchBar is a failed innovation.  I’ll believe otherwise when they come out with a Desktop keyboard with Touchbar.   Yes people want the TouchId and Apple Pay or they want the most power the could get so they have to get the TouchBar model.   And the keyboard sucks.   That’s why I bought a 2015 MBP last year.   I just keep hoping that Next year Apple’s next MBP redesign has a keyboard with much more travel.  (It should be a great machine if Intel finally delivers their 10 nm CPUs with LPDDR4)

If you look at the trend line for Surface over the past 4 years, it has bobbed slightly above and below $1B/Q. Last year showed that new devices didn't create seasonal growth, and this year, what you're calling a "rebound" is hardly cause for celebration. The whole Surface sales chart pretty much speaks for itself. 

If new data sounds like "a retread," maybe it's because the insight was correct before and still is. Which side were you arguing a year ago? Were you right? 

TouchBar is a feature that makes MacBook Pros look fancy. It has not slowed Apple's pace of sales. So regardless of your opinion, trying to call Apple's incredible success in premium laptops a failure while making excuses for microsoft's incredibly lack of success over the last ~six years of desperately trying just illuminates that you have a fundamentalist bias you are arguing in the face of facts. You want to believe something that isn't true, and will make up no end of stories explaining that the very wrong data you are pushing is in fact reasonable and probably also true alternative facts. But that's not how things actually work.
    The best argument for the touchbar is the same as the argument for any innovation.  Just run the mind experiment to imagine laptops had a touchbar all along and then one vendor decided to replace it with a row of keys labeled F1 through F12.  What would be the response in the market and in the press?  I submit that any rational person would think it was an absurd change and would laugh that vendor out of business.  

Clearly a dynamic touchbar that can adapt to any context or use case is a far superior solution.  Knocking the entire concept because it’s not yet universally available on all models is a vacuous argument; it’s either objectively a better solution than relatively static function keys or it’s not.  Clearly it is.  One may complain about the price to the end-user of this better approach, or of it not yet having widespread adoption among Apple’s product line or by apps, but those are separate issues.  

It’s the same argument as the headphone jack.  Those who castigated Apple for ditching it weren’t sufficiently imaginative to run the mind experiment; what if for the last 100 years there existed wireless earbuds?  And then one vendor decided to replace that with a wired solution that required a single-purpose jack?  People would think that insane.  Just goes to show how few critical thinkers exist among the press, analysts and pundits.  
    edited July 2018 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 66 of 89
    ElCapitan said:
    The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple is a market creator, Microsoft is a follower. 

The only thing Microsoft has ever created (without stealing the idea from someone) is Clippy. 

Ha!  That Clippy screen grab reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was assigned a phone number similar to the directory service.

“Please enter the number of the movie you’d like to see”

[beep]

“Why don’t you just tell me the name of the movie?”
  • Reply 67 of 89

danvm said:

k2kw said:
    I was really impressed by how last year DED critisized Microsoft for having a bad Quarter because customers were waiting for a Surface Refresh and this year blasts them when it rebounds.   

Other than thAt difference seems like this is a retread of editorials from before.

I will say it again.   TouchBar is a failed innovation.  I’ll believe otherwise when they come out with a Desktop keyboard with Touchbar.   Yes people want the TouchId and Apple Pay or they want the most power the could get so they have to get the TouchBar model.   And the keyboard sucks.   That’s why I bought a 2015 MBP last year.   I just keep hoping that Next year Apple’s next MBP redesign has a keyboard with much more travel.  (It should be a great machine if Intel finally delivers their 10 nm CPUs with LPDDR4)
    TouchBar is a feature that makes MacBook Pros look fancy. It has not slowed Apple's pace of sales. So regardless of your opinion, trying to call Apple's incredible success in premium laptops a failure while making excuses for microsoft's incredibly lack of success over the last ~six years of desperately trying just illuminates that you have a fundamentalist bias you are arguing in the face of facts. You want to believe something that isn't true, and will make up no end of stories explaining that the very wrong data you are pushing is in fact reasonable and probably also true alternative facts. But that's not how things actually work. 
    I wouldn't call it lack of success.  Mac's are the only option if you want/need macOS (personally I don't consider Hackintosh an option).  That put Apple in a position to price their devices at a higher cost.  There are no competition in the macOS market.  That's different from Windows PC's, where you have options for major vendors like Dell, HP and Lenovo, and some of their devices are as good or better than what MS offers.  Many people in these forums said that the Surface line would be out of business after a few years, and it didn't happen.  And now they added more devices to their line.  I suppose they are doing something right.
    I’m not one who said Surface would be defunct, but I’ll just chime in to say that a large highly profitable company can afford to keep a project going that would have failed if it had to stand on its own.  So the fact Surface is still in existence is no measure of success. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Notsofast said:
    jmulchino said:
    Yes, a surprising article with some muddled logic (“locker room talk”? Huh?). And the tone is a bit dismissive of Apple’s recent troubles with the i9 processor. (“Non-engineer YouTubers”) Example: In another story published by AI, Apple actually worked with the “non-engineer” to apparently resolve the issue. 

Most AI readers don’t really care about Samsung, Microsoft, etc. offerings, so why the paranoia? Is it to stifle legitimate criticism by AI readers on Apple? Methinks so. 

And lastly, where is the updated Mac Mini? Cook promised and update. “It’s in our future” Remember. Which future?
    You lost people when you suggested that Apple relied on the Youtuber's skills to identify and fix the bug when all they did was to work with him to try and reproduce the problem, which he had trouble doing, so they could resolve it. No insult intended towards him, but he obviously had no idea what the problem was or how to fix it, just that he had experienced a problem, which sometimes occurred

I may have lost you; but not “people. Re-read my post. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 89
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ok, so reality check.  I used both the Surface Book and a MacBook Pro and iPad w/Pencil.  I might as well just buy a MacBook Pro and an iPad w/Pencil and be done with it. Switch between the two devices as needed. The whole experience is much nicer.  Holistically speaking, macOS / iOS is so much smoother and more refined and the hardware works so well with it that using Microsoft solutions just feel kludgy and slapped together.  ...  
    This is the essence of it. MS Windows and Surface are trying too hard to put everything into a single device and to be all things to all people. The result is too often a single inelegant device that's not as good as either of the separate items. It seems like it ought to be brilliant, but it ends up just being "kludgy."

Think of all the attempts to make a single vehicle that works as both a car and an airplane. It's a nifty concept, but the execution is, so far, always disappointing. As a car it's impractical, uncomfortable, and won't fit in your garage, and as an airplane, it's slow, hard to maneuver, has a small passenger compartment, and has a range not much better than a car. So it seems like it would be nice to go downstairs, pack the family into the flying car, zip across the country and upon arrival, skip the rental, but still be able to tool around town. But no, the flying cars so far are just expensive proofs that you could do it, sort of, but probably wouldn't want to.
    Do you think the same when using an iPad with the Smart Keyboard with a touch screen in a vertical position?
    The vast majority of iPads are not used in this way.  Most are used as a handheld light tablet with long battery life. So the fact there’s an edge case is not argument to suggest that form factor is more than a compromise solution. It’s not for an iPad used in that edge case and it’s not for the SurfaceBook which forces you into that compromise full-time. 
    edited July 2018 alexonline
  • Reply 70 of 89
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,416member

danvm said:

k2kw said:

I wouldn't call it lack of success.  Mac's are the only option if you want/need macOS (personally I don't consider Hackintosh an option).  That put Apple in a position to price their devices at a higher cost.  There are no competition in the macOS market.  That's different from Windows PC's, where you have options for major vendors like Dell, HP and Lenovo, and some of their devices are as good or better than what MS offers.  Many people in these forums said that the Surface line would be out of business after a few years, and it didn't happen.  And now they added more devices to their line.  I suppose they are doing something right.
    I’m not one who said Surface would be defunct, but I’ll just chime in to say that a large highly profitable company can afford to keep a project going that would have failed if it had to stand on its own.  So the fact Surface is still in existence is no measure of success. 
    I think it's obvious that you need deep pockets to enter a saturated PC market.  But like I posted before, they don't have the advantage Apple has being the only option for macOS / iOS devices.  They have to compete with other companies that have been in the market for +30 years with similar devices and sometimes better than what MS offers.  And after 6 years, they are already in +$1B per quarter.  I agree with you that being in the market in not a measure of success, but you have to consider other things, like the one I mentioned before. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 71 of 89
    jmulchino said:

The future is always ahead of us, you know
    Ha! Ha! Good one! Just hoping Apple would update it before my grand kids reach adulthood! :-)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 72 of 89
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Ok, so reality check.  I used both the Surface Book and a MacBook Pro and iPad w/Pencil.  I might as well just buy a MacBook Pro and an iPad w/Pencil and be done with it. Switch between the two devices as needed. The whole experience is much nicer.  Holistically speaking, macOS / iOS is so much smoother and more refined and the hardware works so well with it that using Microsoft solutions just feel kludgy and slapped together.  ...  
    This is the essence of it. MS Windows and Surface are trying too hard to put everything into a single device and to be all things to all people. The result is too often a single inelegant device that's not as good as either of the separate items. It seems like it ought to be brilliant, but it ends up just being "kludgy."

Think of all the attempts to make a single vehicle that works as both a car and an airplane. It's a nifty concept, but the execution is, so far, always disappointing. As a car it's impractical, uncomfortable, and won't fit in your garage, and as an airplane, it's slow, hard to maneuver, has a small passenger compartment, and has a range not much better than a car. So it seems like it would be nice to go downstairs, pack the family into the flying car, zip across the country and upon arrival, skip the rental, but still be able to tool around town. But no, the flying cars so far are just expensive proofs that you could do it, sort of, but probably wouldn't want to.
    Do you think the same when using an iPad with the Smart Keyboard with a touch screen in a vertical position?
    The vast majority of iPads are not used in this way.  Most are used as a handheld light tablet with long battery life. So the fact there’s an edge case is not argument to suggest that form factor is more than a compromise solution. It’s not for an iPad used in that edge case and it’s not for the SurfaceBook which forces you into that compromise full-time. 
    Have you consider that one of the reasons an iPad is not used most of the time in a vertical position is because of the compromises as a desktop replacement (or like the previous post mentioned, "it ends up just being "kludgy"?  Even Apple have said in many occasions that touchscreens in vertical position are bad from an ergonomic POV.  And I may add that it's awful to work with touch designed apps too.  And that's exactly how Apple expects you to work when you add a Smart Keyboard.  You are working with a compromise device.  So the option people have is it to work that way or purchase a notebook/desktop to complete their work.  And have two devices all time is a compromise for many mobile users.  Moving from one device to another proves that an iPad and a Macbook have both, compromises and advantages. 

The same can be said for the Surface.  MS gave users the option to use the Surface in a vertical position with a proper trackpad.  Don't you think that's a better option than what Apple did with the iPad + Smart Keyboard?  I think it is.  Does it means that the Surface don't have any compromises?  Not at all, and I'm aware of them since I own a SP4.  But the same can be said of every device, including iPads and Macbooks...
    edited July 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 73 of 89
    techconc said:
    jmulchino said:

For starters, I think we can look at the Macbook i9 controversy now in hindsight seeing as though it has been resolved. An issue was reported and it was resolved rather quickly and trivially with a software update. How much of a big deal do you think we should make of this? Was a product recall required? No? Then what's your point? Also, I'm fairly certain you don't speak for "most AI readers". For that matter, if you weren't interested in the article, why did you read it? Sure, Daniel's articles involve a fair amount of Apple cheer leading, but calling out other dopes in the media like those who write for the Verge sits well with me. Especially when these articles have verifiable supporting data.

Huh? Are you serious? For three days this was a big deal affecting Apple’s flagship pro model!! Please don’t drag out the old “why did you read it” arguement. That is so old, lame and more appropriate in the YouTube comment section. We are hopefully all adults here posting legitimate opinions and criticisms of tech news on the Apple front. If you read my post, and it looks like you didn’t, I was not calling him out. I think Microsoft, Samsung’s efforts to attack Apple are a bit sad. So why the paranoia bordering on cheerleading? This editorial in part misrepresented the facts as presented by other AI staff on the very same issue. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 74 of 89
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,019member
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:

We’ve had this conversation before. I’m not going to go any further than this to help you with your per-post fees to promote the Surface. Have a nice day.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 89

jmulchino said:
    jmulchino said:

You lost bro?

I enjoyed this editorial piece. And despite your claim, we discuss these brands every week. 

Please quote when Cook said they’d get you a new mini by. Thanks. 
    Not lost, dude! So why write something snarky about a fellow poster? I’m glad you enjoyed the editorial. Does that mean I can’t post a dissenting opinion without the snark? And just Google “Cook” and “Mac Mini” and you’ll find your answer. I’d love a new Mac Mini. 
    1) when you suggest there is a AI conspiracy to "stifle criticism", then yes, I will reply w/ snark. That's tinfoil hat nonsense.

2) Nope, still no quotable date by Cook that he's getting you an updated mini, or the date by which it will come. Links, or it didn't happen.
    1) You are making up stuff, dude. I never said or suggested “conspiracy”. You STILL haven’t explained why you are so snarky on this forum. “Tin hats”? That’s so old. 

2) You still don’t get it and I can’t be bothered explaining it anymore. Other posters get it; apparently not you. 

So so this is my last post addressed to you. So go ahead and have the last word. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 76 of 89
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    At first glance, the new Surface Books are somewhat kinda nice.  You can detach the screen and go tablet mode without the keyboard or you can flip it around a fold it back to go tablet bulk mode but have a larger battery (tablet & keyboard has battery).  It sounds nice but in reality it's not used that much.  But because the battery is in the tablet and keyboard it does have crazy battery life.  However, the trackpad sucks, the stylus is nowhere near as precise nor responsive as the Apple Pencil on iPad. The whole Win10 UX is bizarre and weird. Not to mention it's very expensive. 

Ok, so reality check.  I used both the Surface Book and a MacBook Pro and iPad w/Pencil.  I might as well just buy a MacBook Pro and an iPad w/Pencil and be done with it. Switch between the two devices as needed. The whole experience is much nicer.  Holistically speaking, macOS / iOS is so much smoother and more refined and the hardware works so well with it that using Microsoft solutions just feel kludgy and slapped together.  Apple is not perfect but they are so far ahead it is going to take a long time for Microsoft to catch up.  You can see Microsoft in a panic as they do things like port SQL Server to Linux, build in the Linux Subsystem in Win10, add native SSHd / SSH, opened Azure to host Linux, tweaked Server to run headless, open sourced PowerShell and other things. Bought Xamarin so they can develop iOS / Android apps on Windows.  Bought GitHub, etc.  They know they are completely screwed if they don't embrace Cloud.  They are already losing developers to Macs because they play so much better with Unix / Linux.  The only thing that makes sense is all these steps that Microsoft are taking are because Cloud is a major threat to their survival and as such they must adapt and interact if they are to survive.  If Ballmer was still in charge, they would be hurting far more than they are now.  Office 365 Cloud is a big profit for Microsoft.  But they apparently need to play ball with the competitions Cloud solutions.  
    And they seem to be quite good at that. I'm not in our cloud division, but as I understand from our developers there Azure is on par with Amazon (and far ahead of what Google has to offer -- forget about Apple, they are apparently not interested in this business).

• Reply 77 of 89
    AppleZulu said:
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:

We’ve had this conversation before. I’m not going to go any further than this to help you with your per-post fees to promote the Surface. Have a nice day.
    For some reason, you think that by posting positive things about the Surface I'm promoting the device, when in reality I'm just talking from my experience with a SP4.  Since you posted that Surface are "kludgy", that's based in your own experience?  How does it compares to an iPad + Smart Keyboard, that forces you work with a screen in vertical position with touch UI and apps?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 78 of 89
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

danvm said:

How does it compares to an iPad + Smart Keyboard, that forces you work with a screen in vertical position with touch UI and apps?

Im confused, are you talking about this Smart Keyboard? 

AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 89
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,019member
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:
    danvm said:
    AppleZulu said:

For some reason, you think that by posting positive things about the Surface I'm promoting the device, when in reality I'm just talking from my experience with a SP4.  Since you posted that Surface are "kludgy", that's based in your own experience?  How does it compares to an iPad + Smart Keyboard, that forces you work with a screen in vertical position with touch UI and apps?
    I’m saying you have a peculiar, longstanding and consistent pattern of coming to this Apple-focused forum specifically to praise and promote Microsoft and specifically Surface devices. Seems like an odd way to spend one’s time if one isn’t receiving some benefit for doing so. So no, I’m not going to take your bait and further debate the relative merits of the devices you’re here to promote. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It is a dumb argument but so is the knock on Surface for not being a huge growth business. Neither iPad nor Macs are really growth businesses either.
    iPad and Mac are both extremely profitable, large businesses that have a commercial impact on the world. 

Surface is less than 1/10 the revenue, very little profit if any, and has minimal impact on anything. 
    It doesn't really matter if Surface has a small audience, because Windows as a whole is such a big platform, it's not necessary for every device to be a mass product.

I actually admire companies that try new things whether they ultimately flop or not. Microsoft mainly has business customers anyway and those new Surface whiteboards have potential in conference rooms.
    williamlondon