Next-gen iPad Pro design seemingly confirmed by iOS 12 beta icon

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2018
A deep dive into Apple's iOS 12 beta 5 reveals a graphical user interface element that appears to show an unreleased iPad model without a traditional home button or top and bottom screen bezels, a design in line with rumors detailing this year's iPad Pro hardware refresh.

A small blue icon tucked away in iOS 12's battery usage UI seemingly confirms the design, and certain key features, of Apple's new tablet lineup expected to launch later this year.

Spotted by 9to5Mac on Wednesday, the "HLSipad2" asset shows a line drawing of what looks to be a portable device distinct from Apple's iPhone products.

Compared to previous "HLSipad" iconography, the newly discovered iOS 12 beta element lacks typical iPad characteristics like "forehead" and "chin" bezels that house the unit's FaceTime HD camera and Touch ID home button, respectively. Notably, both "HLSipad" and "HLSipad2" icons sport an identical home screen layout with 12 apps on the main page and four in the dock.

Though merely icons, the assets seem to suggest plans to squeeze a larger screen into iPad Pro's form factor.

Beyond the bezels, the icon is clear of an iPhone X-esque "notch" or cutout some suggested Apple would implement as part of a transition to Face ID biometric authentication. When Apple embedded Face ID's True Depth camera system in iPhone it had to decide between retaining a top bezel or sacrificing a bit of screen real estate to achieve a true edge-to-edge display. Since iPad is built on a much larger form factor -- and does not require an ear speaker -- the company has more design latitude to accommodate a True Depth module without encroaching on screen space.

Apple is widely expected to integrate Face ID in its next-generation iPad Pro lineup, freeing up valuable space for a thin bezel design. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes the unused headroom will go toward a larger 11-inch display in the smaller of Apple's pro-level tablets, up from the current 10.5 inches as measured on the diagonal.

Most recently, rumblings from Apple's supply chain point to slightly smaller chassis designs and the removal of the device's headphone jack. A contentious design decision, Apple first nixed the 3.5mm headphone jack with iPhone 7 in order to make space for more internal components.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I like it. :)

This looks like the form factor that could be used for next the three years, or so.

Rather like what Apple has done with the AppleWatch, iMac, Air, MacBook, ATV, etc., etc. Get off the hectic yearly ‘redesign’ train!  

Concentrate on software, services, and meaningful hardware updates. Oh, and new products. 

I think this is where they’re heading with the iPhone. Smimilar form factor across the line but with varying degrees of features. 

The Air, MacMini, iPad Mini, Se, and iPhone 6 thru the 8 are ‘legacy’ devices that will be phased out.  

Three iPads, three iPhones, one MacBook, three iMacs and three MacBookPros seems to be the ‘mix.’ 

Three seems to be the magic number. 

Best.

edited August 2018 bshanknewBelieveraylk
  • Reply 2 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I may warm up to it, but losing the room around the edges seems like it decreases the usable area of the UI.
    kirkgray
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I can understand the appeal of smaller bezels, it could look really nice, but on a tablet that seems like a questionable decision. It’s heavier than a phone and needs more space to hold it and so the bezels are more functional than on a phone. I wonder how small they would be if this design turns out to be accurate.
    kirkgray
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Not to sound dismissive, but the future is ‘no bezels.’  Just a flat piece of black glass.

And if anyone can figure it out, it’ll be Apple! :)

Best. 
    vukasikaracerhomie3
  • Reply 5 of 28
    sansinsansin Posts: 4member
    Whoever needs a bezel, will put on a case. Apple has figured it out.
    claire1vukasika
  • Reply 6 of 28
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Samsung has already copied taking away the home button. They have no shame.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    Interesting to see if this means the cameras will be behind the screen and on the mainboard. We know they have been looking at various ways to do it from 2007 and before.
    Would be good if twin cameras of Face ID were each about 1/3 off the edge of screen so facetime you are looking straight at one of the cameras if looking the person in the eye.

That would free up edges for speaker and battery volume. 

• Reply 8 of 28
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    nunzy said:
    Samsung has already copied taking away the home button. They have no shame..
    Because the stupid USPTO puts patents of big companies up on public display. Samsung has been doing this for a decade.
    nunzyjony0
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tshapitshapi Posts: 372member
    I once owned the dell venue 8 as shown in picture. My problem with it was the heft and weight. I liked the idea of all screen. But it was a pain to hold one handed because of how heavy If was.  I am sure Apple will address this by not making it 100% Bezzel tree. Having slightly thicker bezels on the top and bottom. 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,409member
    Notch-worshippers are surely distraught over the new iPad design.  Oh, but how they love their notched iPhone X's!
    mbenz1962aylk
  • Reply 11 of 28
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    claire1 said:
    nunzy said:
    Samsung has already copied taking away the home button. They have no shame..
    Because the stupid USPTO puts patents of big companies up on public display. Samsung has been doing this for a decade.
    So you do understand that’s the whole point of a Patent? You disclose your invention to the public in exchange for protection of said invention?
    mike1SpamSandwichnunzyaylk
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nunzy said:
    Samsung has already copied taking away the home button. They have no shame.
    But they were gracious enough not to copy the idea selling tablets in any significant quantity. I think they deserve a nod for that. 
    edited August 2018 irelandmike1nunzy
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I may warm up to it, but losing the room around the edges seems like it decreases the usable area of the UI.
    I see what you’re saying. Bezels are where you hold the thing. I would think that Apple realises this and it has enough edge to hold it comfortably. 
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jdw said:
    Notch-worshippers are surely distraught over the new iPad design.  Oh, but how they love their notched iPhone X's!
    I officially notice you. Happy now?
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I see what you’re saying. Bezels are where you hold the thing. I would think that Apple realises this and it has enough edge to hold it comfortably. 
    Apple already has palm and finger rejection technology. It’s been spotty in my experience with it. So I certainly won’t be an early adopter... I already don’t have enough bezel on my iPad 6th Gen. ... so I’ll be watching how well the tech works on the new iPad. But in theory, the useable space is not compromised at all, or at least no different than any newspaper or magazine — one merely needs to lift ones thumb and reposition it to use the space under it.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 112member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The icon looks like the current quite narrow side bezel would be used on the ‘forehead’ and ‘chin’ areas, maybe slightly narrower by a mm or so.

There would be enough space for face id cameras and also front firingspeakers possibly, while allowing some useful extra screen space in the same chassis ( and slightly more widescreen aspect for movies etc).
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jdw said:

I really like @Rayz2016's response to your silly post, but just to clarify: there are no notch-worshippers. There are notch-haters and there are those that got used to it in about 10 minutes and continued to use the best iPhone released till date.

mike1
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,409member

I really like @Rayz2016's response to your silly post, but just to clarify: there are no notch-worshippers. There are notch-haters and there are those that got used to it in about 10 minutes and continued to use the best iPhone released till date.

"Silly"? Hardly.  I get blasted by the Cupertino-worshipers in this forum nearly every time I (a fellow Mac enthusiast, mind you) dare to talk about the notch on the iPhone in a negative way, or talk about the missing SD card slot on the late 2016 and newer MBPs.  Any kind of divergent thinking expressed by me in this forum is ALWAYS met with resistance from some of you, which I myself cannot see as anything other than your WORSHIP of every decision Apple makes.  I've even heard people saying words of love about the iPhone X notch, saying they actually like it and don't notice anything bad about it at all.  And so the basis for what I wrote is obvious. If some of you like the notch that much, you might feel something missing in your hearts when you find it missing on the new iPads.  In other words, please, let's cease and desist with all the defending of the notch.  It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing on the iPhone, and I'll be very happy when its gone.

Writing my previous post was my way of push-back against those who praise 100% of everything Apple decides.  Funny that.  Steve Jobs didn't praise everything his company did.  And when they messed up, he went on the attack.  I miss Steve Jobs.  :-(

All said, I am SO PLEASED the new iPads won't have the notch.  Now if Apple would just make iPads far more practical for work (more of an MacBook replacement), above and beyond the benefits we know about in iOS 12, I'll really be excited.
    aylk
  • Reply 19 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    christopher126 said:
    The Air, MacMini, iPad Mini, Se, and iPhone 6 thru the 8 are ‘legacy’ devices that will be phased out.

Unsure where you pulled this information out of. Also, many people love the small size of SE, so it’d be dumb to get rid of it without some kind of small replacement. I’d literally have no iPhone I’m interested in without a 4 - 4.5” option. Ming said there’s a new Mac mini due this year. iPad mini is still around. And if past years are any indication I see 7, 7+, 8 and 8+ hanging around. So could it be your comment is wrong on all counts? Likely.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 20 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    mike54 said:
    I would prefer if they keep the same eternal dimensions and increased the screen size, the 12.9in would become maybe a 14in... and then add in mouse/trackpad support.
    Nah, I think 12.9” 4:3 aspect for large size iPad Pro is already heading toward an unmanageable size. Shaving off those large bezels seems like a good move.
    edited August 2018