Apple hits $1 trillion market cap, the first US company ever to hit milestone [u]

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited August 2018
The day after its stock hit the $200 mark, Apple became the first $1 trillion U.S. company in history, beating Amazon to earn the first 12-figure company valuation in the history of business.

The Trillion dollar man, Tim Cook

Apple, following strong third quarter earnings, on Thursday became the first company in history to be valued at $1 trillion. The company's stock rose 5 percent in the 24 hours after the earnings announcement, passing the $200 mark on Wednesday for the first time since its stock split four years ago.

The company on Wednesday revealed an adjusted share count of 4,829,926,000, meaning that the stock was required to reach $207.05 in order to hit the $1 trillion value, CNBC reported. The previous number was thought to be $203.45.

Some stock tickers Thursday morning had listed Apple's valuation as over $1 trillion, but they appeared to be going by the previous share number. At just before noon eastern time, the stock hit the threshold to make it the first to hit the milestone.

Throughout the summer, Apple had been locked in a battle with Amazon over which would become the first company to hit $1 trillion, but it became apparent earlier this week that Apple was pulling ahead.

Update: Apple closed the day above $1 trillion -- $1.002 trillion -- and is holding steady in after-hours trading.
Avieshek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    I am verklempt. 

Consider that the company was nearly bankrupt 20 years ago. Jobs is surely smiling up there today. 
    edited August 2018 SpamSandwichAnilu_777flyingdpmelodyof1974ceek74AvieshekcornchipkuduStrangeDaysclaire1
  • Reply 2 of 146
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Throughout the summer, Apple had been locked in a battle with Amazon over which would become the first company to hit $1 trillion, but it became apparent earlier this week that Apple was pulling ahead.

Both Apple and Amazon had far more important things to worry about, so I think "being locked in battle" is stretching things a bit. Did make me laugh though.
    lkruppDAalsethbaconstangflyingdpmuthuk_vanalingammike1AvieshekdewmeStrangeDaysmazda 3s
  • Reply 3 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Naturally, there was a selloff as soon as it hit.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 146
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Intra-day lasted like 1 second.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I am verklempt. 
    Talk amongst yourselves.
    cornchipdasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Naturally, there was a selloff as soon as it hit.
    So we're not expecting a press statement any time soon then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 146

Intra-day lasted like 1 second.
    As long as as second, eh?

Not bad.

The obsession with this trillion dollar company thing is getting ridiculous. 
    edited August 2018 DAalsethbaconstangflyingdpcornchipclaire1entropyspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 146
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple has more money than anybody in the world. That is good for every one of us and we should celebrate

Who gave Apple all that money? It was us. This is our victory.
    edited August 2018 aylkcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 146
    Currently about $0.15 short. Still possible to close above $207.05 by trading day’s end. I doubt there will a press release from Apple but it will be on the national news this evening for sure. Meanwhile the haters, doubters, negative types are losing their minds spewing every invective they can think of. Apple is a Chinese company, Apple is a cult, Apple customers are stupid, break Apple up, it’s a lie... the insanity is getting scary. Go to Yahoo Finance and look at the comments. Go to some other financial sites with comment sections. Go to MacRumors. These people are coming unglued, splitting at the seams, their heads are exploding. 

Some people are obsessed alright, the haters that’s for sure.
    edited August 2018 Anilu_777anantksundaramandrewj5790JWSCStrangeDaysronnjony0brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 146
    I am verklempt. 

Consider that the company was nearly bankrupt 20 years ago. Jobs is surely smiling up there today. 
    I think he may have been an atheist or possibly a Buddhist...

UPDATE:  Buddhist
    edited August 2018 mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 146
    Rarely mentioned ... (OK, never mentioned), is that IBM got quite a bit above 1 trillion way back when (the 70's), when you adjust for inflation. 

But sure, a Trillion is a huge milestone, and I'm not unhappy that Apple was the one to make it. They're still underdogs on Wall Street and while that is weird, it doesn't really matter. They did it the old-fashioned way, and not on hype. 
    baconstangcornchippalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 146
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    But but but!! Let the naysayers commence...I'm enjoying my new 2018 MBP 15" 2.6, on a side note. The speakers are a huge step up from my 2012 model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Rarely mentioned ... (OK, never mentioned), is that IBM got quite a bit above 1 trillion way back when (the 70's), when you adjust for inflation. 

But sure, a Trillion is a huge milestone, and I'm not unhappy that Apple was the one to make it. They're still underdogs on Wall Street and while that is weird, it doesn't really matter. They did it the old-fashioned way, and not on hype. 
    https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 146
    I am verklempt. 

I think he may have been an atheist or possibly a Buddhist...

UPDATE:  Buddhist

Das ist nicht "Buddhist"

verklempt | fərˈklemt | 

adjective North American informal overcome with emotion: she was all verklempt earlier this week over her latest split from her husband. 

ORIGIN from Yiddish farklempt, from German verklemmt, literally ‘pinched, squeezed’.
    edited August 2018 jony0
  • Reply 15 of 146
    lkrupp said:
    Currently about $0.15 short. Still possible to close above $207.05 by trading day’s end. I doubt there will a press release from Apple but it will be on the national news this evening for sure. Meanwhile the haters, doubters, negative types are losing their minds spewing every invective they can think of. Apple is a Chinese company, Apple is a cult, Apple customers are stupid, break Apple up, it’s a lie... the insanity is getting scary. Go to Yahoo Finance and look at the comments. Go to some other financial sites with comment sections. Go to MacRumors. These people are coming unglued, splitting at the seams, their heads are exploding. 

Some people are obsessed alright, the haters that’s for sure.

I don't own any Apple stock, so financially this news makes no difference to me one bit.

However, just knowing that all the lowlifes (haters, trolls.....) are fuming over this makes me smile a little bit.
    baconstangJWSCbrometheusradarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 146
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,395member
    Apple is the first US company with $1T valuation, and second worldwide, behind PetroChina. 

SpamSandwichdavenradarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 146
    danvm said:
    Apple is the first US company with $1T valuation, and second worldwide, behind PetroChina. 

Did PetroChina legitimately get to 1T? Is it even a publicly traded company?
  • Reply 18 of 146
    I am verklempt. 

Remember the little dig Jobs got in the day Apple’s market cap passed up Dell’s? He sent a company wide email announcing the event and even tried to be magnanimous about it but it still had the sweet taste of revenge after Michael Dell’s famous advice to sell the assets and shut it down. And as Klingon culture dictates revenge is a dish best served cold.
    anantksundaramradarthekatjony0pscooter63palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 146
    CNBC has the bears out today. Saying Apple is just a consumer electronics company and prices and margins always come down and will come down with Apple too. Also fretting over Apple being too dependent on iPhone and services growth all ties to iPhone. And complaining about all the cash the company has and not doing any large acquisitions with it. Now that the 1T milestone has been hit (even if it was intra-day only) the bears will be out in full force.
    claire1
  • Reply 20 of 146
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    doomed as any company ever could be
    SpamSandwichclaire1brometheuswatto_cobra