Nearly half of iPhone owners plan to upgrade, survey says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    My iPhone 7 Plus is still going strong, even with the iOS 12 betas. I just made my last payment to Citizens One and Gazelle says my iPhone is worth $330 for a trade-in. This was only the second time I’ve kept an iPhone for 2 years, and I’ve held one for three. 

That said, there’s a good chance I’ll be holding onto it for yet another year. Of course, that all depends on what they announce in a couple weeks, but I’m much more interested in moving more of my mobile communications to my Watch.

Now, if Apple spaced their major HW releases out across the year it would probably be a lot easier for me to choose to get a new Apple product in each category every year.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    NY1822....you need a Battery case because? My iPhone X lasts all day easy....and Apple makes great cases for using the X as intended...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 60
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Most interesting to me (from the linked synopsis) is that of the 212 Android users in this latest survey, 19 percent said they intend to jump to iPhone. Much higher than in past Loup surveys. One in five?! That is crazy. Even if half of em don’t actually switch this cycle that would still be great for Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tmay said:
    melgross said:
    Ah, a lot of that article makes no sense. First of all, that’s just a USA based survey. Second, it’s small, and the error could easily be plus minus 7%. In addition, about 60% of smartphone users here use Android. If we look at the number of people here with iPhones, the number of Android going to upgrade, with 19% moving to iPhone, then sales in the USA should increase by over 25%.

if there is any kind of similarity anywhere else, though at a lower level overall, I would expect to see iPhone sales to move up by at least 10%. I don’t see these lower sales numbers at all.
    More than half of smartphone users in the U.S. are currently using iOS; you are confusing users with current sales.

That's the result of all of those legacy iPhones that are still in use, thank you very much.
    Truth is, I don’t SEE more than half using iPhones. I see more than half on Android, with most of those being Samsung models.

and if you were right, then the article is even further off the truth.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Survey of one (well, two) here.  I'll be purchasing new phones for my wife and myself this year.  We've both got the 6 Plus that we got on release day.  The only question is what model we get which will depend on the price.  At the lower end of Ming's estimates I can see getting an X Plus for myself and an Xs for her.  At the higher end of the range it is more likely I'll just get the LCD model.  If the Xs remains at $1K it will be the LCD model for both of us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Folio said:
    Most interesting to me (from the linked synopsis) is that of the 212 Android users in this latest survey, 19 percent said they intend to jump to iPhone. Much higher than in past Loup surveys. One in five?! That is crazy. Even if half of em don’t actually switch this cycle that would still be great for Apple.
    The reality of surveys is that the actual number is much less. They are only good for trends. If the numbers over the years were correct, then apple would have sold 500 million phones worldwide last year, for a 35% market share.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This tells me AAPL will go north of $250 quite soon.

Tim how about another stock split soon.  I know it is mathematically irrelevant but psychologically huge as proven by the last split.  How about AAPL at $50.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    melgross said:
    tmay said:
    melgross said:
    Ah, a lot of that article makes no sense. First of all, that’s just a USA based survey. Second, it’s small, and the error could easily be plus minus 7%. In addition, about 60% of smartphone users here use Android. If we look at the number of people here with iPhones, the number of Android going to upgrade, with 19% moving to iPhone, then sales in the USA should increase by over 25%.

if there is any kind of similarity anywhere else, though at a lower level overall, I would expect to see iPhone sales to move up by at least 10%. I don’t see these lower sales numbers at all.
    More than half of smartphone users in the U.S. are currently using iOS; you are confusing users with current sales.

That's the result of all of those legacy iPhones that are still in use, thank you very much.
    Truth is, I don’t SEE more than half using iPhones. I see more than half on Android, with most of those being Samsung models.

and if you were right, then the article is even further off the truth.
    Mel,

Here's a link;

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/united-states-of-america

52.19% iOS    47.39% Android OS

I'm thinking that includes iPad users, so my previous mention of iPhone users is likely incorrect, but still useful; there's about 11 iPhones used for every one iPad

• Reply 29 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Could happen but how one can conclude surveying 530 iPhone users from over billion iPhone users what they will upgrade or not.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    If this is true, then—dare I say it?—maybe the success of iPhone X isn’t bad news for Apple after all. 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/21/analyst-downgrades-apple-stock-because-iphone-x-is-too-popular
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    wood1208 said:
    Could happen but how one can conclude surveying 530 iPhone users from over billion iPhone users what they will upgrade or not.
    If the sample is properly randomized you only need a sample size of 384 to get 95% confidence no matter what the size of the population is.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size/

You do have to be careful to ensure the sample comes from the population though.  It wouldn't be representative to ask people who live in Montana if they plan to eat at a restaurant in New York; you would want to sample people who are likely to be potential customers.  In this case the population would be smartphone users so a random sample of 530 people would likely include at least 384 smartphone users (I know the article says iPhone users but somehow they got Android users in there as well).
  • Reply 32 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Nearly half of those surveyed plan to. Not have all iPhone owners. Big differences. 
    Are you saying that you think only 250 upgrades are going to happen? ... you understand how surveys work, right? ;) ;) 

That said, I think the sample group should have been about 10x larger to get an accurate reading... a survey group of 500 just isn't a good enough sampling.
    You cannot get an accurate reading. Even if the survey was of every iPhone owner in the world, when it came time to pay for the phone there's no telling how many would put it off. 530 iPhone customers were asked and half of them said they would. I think this survey is pretty meaningless, tbh. To me it indicates nothing. To see how many iPhone owners will actually upgrade we will need to wait and see.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MacPro said:

Tim how about another stock split soon.  I know it is mathematically irrelevant but psychologically huge as proven by the last split.  How about AAPL at $50.
    Don't invest based on a survey of any kind. Let alone a tiny survey like this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Folio said:
    The Apple analyst Horace Dedieu (I think I'm spelling that correctly), who is one of the good ones, found the same thing. Larger number of Android users who are going to defect from their defective phones and are coming to Apple. Great news... oh, and the stock is on fire recently. Very happy about that.
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 60
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Most of them being blonde grandmothers (as I found out with mine)
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 36 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mike54 said:
    Staying with the 6S. These phones are getting bigger.
    Technically you're correct, but it's by such a small amount that I can't imagine how that would be problematic for anyone, even without considering all the added features with 4 years of advancements.

(Source Wikipedia)
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ireland said:
    MacPro said:

Don't invest based on a survey of any kind. Let alone a tiny survey like this.
    Thanks for the advice and agreed, using my own gut feelings I have turned a few hundred thousand into well into seven figures with AAPL.

edited August 2018 SpamSandwichradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mike54 said:
    Staying with the 6S. These phones are getting bigger.
    They aren't really.  Have you held an iPhone X? It's feels nearly the same as the 6, 6s, 7 etc... So much so that I got an 8 plus this past year.

As a plus user since the 6s currently using the 8 plus the iPhone x felt too small in my hands when I finally had chance to hold and use it. I got the 8 plus hoping that a X plus model would be released this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 60
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I do love my iPhone X. But then I’ve loved them all: until I got my hands on the next one. Stephen Stills got it right: "Love The One You're With".  B) 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 60
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    wood1208 said:
    Statistics is based on sampling analysis. Though in this instance my impression was they were looking at Curent iPhone owners within the United States and not the entire world. 
    watto_cobra