Nearly half of iPhone owners plan to upgrade, survey says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    If they update the SE without making it physically larger, I'm in.  Hope they keep the 3.5mm TRS.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Wow! That's almost 265 definite sales for Apple!!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobrakingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 43 of 60
    I'm ok with my SE. I see no reason to upgrade any time soon.
    baconstang
  • Reply 44 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    NY1822....you need a Battery case because? My iPhone X lasts all day easy....and Apple makes great cases for using the X as intended...
    Mine doesn't, I'd love it if there was an Apple battery case that fit the iPhone X.  Previously I had a 7 with a smart case, and the reassurance of that extra battery life, plus the fact that I rather liked how the case felt in the hand, meant it was probably my favourite iPhone.  Not to play down the X, I love it, but I love it markedly less when the battery is dead.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 45 of 60
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:
    I really need an upgrade! 

My 6 is working great, but I WANT to upgrade so bad!
    Same here. I suspect many 6/6+ owners will upgrade. The 6+ especially was and still is a great phone for the long haul with plenty of speed, great camera, and a big battery. The 6s/7/8 were all okay, but weren't remarkably different than the 6/6+. We've now seen what the future looks like with the X and it's been normalized. Apple usually does a really good job of refining with follow-ups to new designs. So, unless something unusual happens with the next round of iPhone releases a lot of folks are going to pull the trigger this fall. It's gonna be a big one, perhaps even a really big one, or both.
    It is a great phone -- until it bends...
    Mine was fine till it bent in my pocket and cracked the screen -- then a few weeks later it developed TouchDisease.   Now the screen is completely dead -- and Apple won't touch it because the screen is cracked.   Catch-22.

It was a great phone -- but with a serious design defect.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    albegarc said:
    I have a 7+ and I am planing to upgrade. Maybe to an 8+ if the rumored 6.1 screen has no better specs than the 8+.
    Apple ran with the same retina screen for years.  It is fine.   Hardly obsolete.   While the OLED screen of the X is better, it's frankly hard to see that difference.

Meanwhile, the 8+ will be a year old phone with year old internals and without FaceId and less optimal formfactor to screen ratio.
    The 6.1 will have the A12 processor, other internal upgrades, and FaceId.

You might want to rethink your plan.   Comparing the two only on screen size is, well, stupid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 60
    You can prove pretty much anything with "a study" or "a survey".   But, common sense (or maybe not common) is telling me a few things:
    1)  The iPhones 6 & 6+ were a huge success and goosed Apple's sales.   Those phones are very near to the  end of their useful life.  Apple sales will get another boost from their replacements.

But, longer term -- the next 5-6 years:
    2)  As technology advances smooth (for instance, the switch from 32bit to 64bit doomed the phones earlier than the iPhone6), and Apple emphasizes performance in its OS for older devices, people will be able to stretch the useful life of their phone.

3)  The Apple Watch will be taking over many functions of the iPhone.  Yeah ok, I can hear the scorn and ridicule from that remark already.   But, hear me out.   Hear my experience:

I have a Series 1 AW (no GPS, no LTE).  And, a few days ago my iPhone 6+ developed TouchDisease and the screen is dead -- and I don't want to put money into it or replace it till the new phones are out.  But, I have been doing surprisingly well with "just" the watch.   That is, the internals of the phone are still working so, using the watch, I can still:
    - Make phone calls
    - Send and receive texts
    - Receive notifications & email summaries
    - Monitor my runs and workouts
    - Use the timer and alarm clock

(and, if I had a Series3 with LTE I wouldn't even need a phone for those at all!)

The only things I can't do are:
    FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

And, it is the last that bothers me the most.   I had to dig out my old CDs!   It's like living in the Dark Ages!
    (FaceBook and email I can do on my laptop or iPad.   Same with FaceTime.)

So, with using the Apple Watch for more and more functions, I will have less need to maintain the latest and greatest iPhone.   Plus:  the AW is cheaper to replace (less than half the cost), its technology is advancing much faster than that of the iPhone and it does more (at least for those who are serious about health and fitness).

My plan is to buy a new phone for my grandson (who can use the latest & greatest) and inherit his "old iPhone 7" -- which will meet my needs just fine and invest any savings (from buying 2 phones) into a new Apple Watch Series 4 with LTE.

Does that make Apple its own worst enemy?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 60
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jcs2305 said:
    mike54 said:
    Staying with the 6S. These phones are getting bigger.
    They aren't really.  Have you held an iPhone X? It's feels nearly the same as the 6, 6s, 7 etc... So much so that I got an 8 plus this past year.

As a plus user since the 6s currently using the 8 plus the iPhone x felt too small in my hands when I finally had chance to hold and use it. I got the 8 plus hoping that a X plus model would be released this year.
    Exactly my situation, except I started with a 6 and wanted a larger display.  Once I compared the 8+ to the X I opted for the 8+, but I may upgrade to a larger X after Sept 12, selling on my 8+ after just 10 months.  Really love the big screen!  Hooked! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 60

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

And, it is the last that bothers me the most.   I had to dig out my old CDs!   It's like living in the Dark Ages!
    Why can't you use Apple Music, Maps and Siri on your laptop or iPad?
  • Reply 50 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

You can. As well as Facebook, FaceTime, e-mail, and most everything else other than, for some reason the health app and the settings app for the Watch.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 51 of 60
    melgross said:
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

You can. As well as Facebook, FaceTime, e-mail, and most everything else other than, for some reason the health app and the settings app for the Watch.
    I'm assuming there's a specific reason why GeorgeBMac can't, and am casually interested.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

I'm assuming there's a specific reason why GeorgeBMac can't, and am casually interested.
    Can’t, or doesn’t like to?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

I can, but I use Apple Music and Maps mostly in the car where my WiFi iPad can't connect.   And, Siri is helpful on the watch to substitute for the tiny little screen.  (But if I had the LTE version of the watch I suspect all of those would work anyway!)

But, even with those limitations, the soon to be obsolete Series 1 watch is an unbelievably competent substitute for a fully working iPhone.  It takes care of the basics.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

I answered Crowley on that point:   The short answer is that I use those things mostly in the car, where my WiFi iPad doesn't function.  There I need cellular.

But, I think if I had replaced my Series 1 watch with a Series 3 LTE even those limitations would have been resolved.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

Can't.  (Which I answered elsewhere)

But if I had the Series 3 with LTE even those limitations would likely have been addressed.

But, my main point was that the limitations are, in the scheme of things, pretty minor and the Apple Watch makes an amazing stand in for a working iPhone!   In the coming years as iPhone technology levels out and the Watch gets increasingly powerful, my incentive to buy a new iPhone will likely be reduced and instead I'll be keeping up with the latest & greatest Apple Watch!
  • Reply 56 of 60
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    crowley said:

FaceTime
    FaceBook
    Email
    Maps
    Siri
    Apple Music 

Can't.  (Which I answered elsewhere)

But if I had the Series 3 with LTE even those limitations would likely have been addressed.

But, my main point was that the limitations are, in the scheme of things, pretty minor and the Apple Watch makes an amazing stand in for a working iPhone!   In the coming years as iPhone technology levels out and the Watch gets increasingly powerful, my incentive to buy a new iPhone will likely be reduced and instead I'll be keeping up with the latest & greatest Apple Watch!
    Just as smartphones changed a lot of how we interact with a computer because of the small screen, the smartwatch will change that yet again.

there will always be a need for larger screens, etc. But for many tasks even the Watch will suffice. I believe that eventually, AI will do a lot of what we do now. Siri, fix that picture for me, ok? Siri will know how we want it done, and will do it. No screen or touch needed. For pro, or more complex work, we’ll still have to control the process, but the AI will be able to do more and more over time. It might take 10-20 years, but it will get there.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 57 of 60
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I’ll be upgrading..... to a 6s from a 5s.. that new shit is way too $$$$ for me :( 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 58 of 60
    cornchip said:
    I’ll be upgrading..... to a 6s from a 5s.. that new shit is way too $$$$ for me :( 
    More likely to a 7.   I doubt that Apple will be selling the 6S after September 12th.  But it will likely cost the same as today's 6S -- so you still get upgraded.   And, the 7 will probably give more years of usable service before becoming obsolete than the 5S.  
  • Reply 59 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cornchip said:
    Even the older phones are very good.