Apple 'Gather round' 2018 iPhone event scheduled for September 12

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2018
Apple has sent out invitations to the "Gather round" event, with it happening on Sept. 12 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time in the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple's new headquarters.

Apple's invitation to the 2018 Special Event contains the now expected cryptic text plus full details of only one thing. The event will be at 10:00am Pacific time, on September 12, 2018 at the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park. It doesn't even acknowledge that there will be any iPhones mentioned -- but it seems fairly certain that they will be unveiled there.

However, that is the purpose of this event or at least it has been for the last six years.

Based on that, plus specific mention of "strong growth from iPhone [sales]" by Apple's Chief Financial Officer, you can be certain there will be new phones.

New phones

We are expecting three models of iPhone, based on multiple reports from the supply chain where parts have been in design and manufacturing for some time.

There should be a new top of the range model which will be an evolution of the iPhone X. It's expected to be Plus type of model with a screen of 6.5 inches as compared to the iPhone X's 5.8 inches.

That model is most likely to feature the same kind of OLED screen as the iPhone X did. It's expected that of the three new iPhones, two will have these which probably means the X range is going to be like previous iPhones and have a standard and a larger-screen Plus version.

The remaining iPhone of the three is therefore most likely to be a replacement or a development of last year's iPhone 8. However, it will have a larger screen at 6.1 inches instead of either the iPhone 8 4.7 inches or the iPhone 8 Plus's 5.5 inches.

There is one more anticipated aspect: the 6.1 inch iPhone may ship in a choice of many different colors, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Reportedly the number of colors will be similar to what Apple did with the iPhone 5C back in 2013.

New Apple Watch

Based on regulation-required documentation filed with the Euroasian Economic Commission, we're looking forward to multiple new Apple Watches. The Watch does already come in two sizes and with or without LTE. However, because these are new filings, it's expected that there will be significant design differences from the current models.

If so, it's expected that the changes will be to the size of the bezels on the Watches, meaning more space for a larger display.

New iPads and more

These September Special Events are built to showcase the iPhone so we are supremely unlikely to see anything about Macs. However, supply chain information suggests we will see a new iPad Pro or two.

If so, it's expected that these will take design cues from the iPhone X and present with smaller bezels, the removal of both the home button and the headphone jack. It's likely that they will also feature the removal of TouchID and instead feature its replacement, FaceID.

Japanese site Macotakara claims the 10.5 inch iPad Pro will be reduced from 250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1 millimeters to 247.5 x 178.7 x 6. Similarly, the 12.9 inch will perhaps change from 305.7 x 220.6 x 6.9 millimeters to 280 x 215 x 6.4.

One thing we'd be surprised if we don't see is the AirPower wireless charging pad for the iPhones and iPads. This was included last year and has yet to ship but officially it won't be considered late unless it slips to 2019.

Apple has already said that the AirPower pad, whenever it comes, will be joined by a new charging case for the AirPods. It is the case that will be rechargeable via the pad, not the AirPods themselves.

Updated iOS and macOS

The new iOS 12 will certainly be included in the event though there surely won't be either any surprises as it was unveiled back at WWDC.

We can expect to see some demos using it but for all its importance, iOS 12 won't be the star attraction. It will be used to highlight the capabilities of the new iPhones.

The same is probably true of macOS Mojave, though it's also possible that Apple will just announce the official shipping date of that.

There are other things Apple could announce or give sneak peeks of. For instance, a new Mac mini is rumored to be coming soon and there is arguably an iMac update due. Plus we do know for certain that a brand new Mac Pro is coming.

However, any of these would take at least some of the spotlight away from the new iPhones, so we are expecting either a separate event, or a press release heralding arrival similar to how the 2018 MacBook Pro was announced.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Surely this means we will have a round watch option.
    edited August 2018 larryjwcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Sandman18Sandman18 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Round face on the new watch?
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Nice. Will upgrade from 6s+ and from iPad 2~
    cornchipquadra 610RobPalmer9argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 75
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Looks like the iPhone 9 Camera lens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 75
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The new HQ is round. So they're messing with us, per usual.  
    peterhartnetroxronnSpamSandwichentropysdewmelolliverStrangeDaysargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 75
    JinTech said:
    Surely this means we will have a round watch option.
    They’re going to put a home button in the middle of the watch face!!!
    napoleon_phoneaparttribalogicalnewBelieverpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 75
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Round watch face seems reasonable.

When the rectangular face was released, I held back from commenting as I wanted to give myself time to form an opinion. I never wear a watch anyway so I'm not interested in the device.

I can say though that the rectangular face hasn't taken my fancy since release and I wonder how many people might feel the same way.

A round face would probably appeal more to me but I'm still not in the watch market.

However, I do find it strange that the watch would take centre stage on the invite of what we all understand to be a mainly phone event, so maybe it's something else.

• Reply 8 of 75
    Could be a reference to the round venue, 50/50... could be a reference to a round watch face (I'll give this one 60/40)... OR...... it could be the new iPhone Disc we've all been waiting for! Ha! (I give this one 1/99...) I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Not even two weeks. I think we'll cope... :smiley: Oh, and maybe the conductive pad charger for Phone, Watch and AirPods? Did they decide to go round with that one? (25/75)
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 9 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    The graphic ring is probably meant to be evocative of the spaceship, but curious - what does the inside of a wireless charging pad look like? Something round and coppery?
    supadav03argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 75
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Second vote for a round watch bezel.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Tim preparing for the keynote. Gather round.

Apple are clearly ready to announce their first instrument:

“... and we call it iBodhrán”
    edited August 2018 argonaut
  • Reply 12 of 75
    If a watch only displayed time, sure... a round face. There is too much wasted space in the round form factor for most apps and purposes. Slim down the bezels on the current form, and it'll have even more usable screen real estate to display more information. To fit the same amount of information into a round face means it has to be wider than the 42mm Watch. Nope. I laugh my a$$ off when I see these gigantic, round Shamdung watches some people are wearing. They're hideous. Besides, the attachment point for bands still has to be a straight edge, so... straight edge on a round watch... I don't see Apple doing it. If they do, the Series 3 will be my last Apple Watch.
    peterhartflashfan207anantksundaramjdgazbb-15pscooter63mwhiteargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 75
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    MY WALLET IS GONNA HURT SO BAD!!!
    welshdogRayz2016argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 75
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Round displays work well for displaying simulations of analog watch faces, but displaying time in any format is secondary to the other things I use my Apple Watch for in the same sense that I rarely use my iPhone as a telephone. I'd much rather have a larger rectangular screen than a round screen. I've never been fond of the round displays on my Nest thermostat or Amazon Echo Spot. I'm probably in the minority. :)
    jdgazbb-15lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not very inviting, a bit sinister.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Besides, the attachment point for bands still has to be a straight edge, so... straight edge on a round watch... I don't see Apple doing it. 
    Agree 100%. 
    JWSCanantksundaramcornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 75
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    avon b7 said:
    Round watch face seems reasonable.

When the rectangular face was released, I held back from commenting as I wanted to give myself time to form an opinion. I never wear a watch anyway so I'm not interested in the device.

I can say though that the rectangular face hasn't taken my fancy since release and I wonder how many people might feel the same way.

A round face would probably appeal more to me but I'm still not in the watch market.

However, I do find it strange that the watch would take centre stage on the invite of what we all understand to be a mainly phone event, so maybe it's something else.

It's something else. 

I wouldn't buy a round apple watch.

It's a round HQ/SJ Theater.
    JWSCbb-15pscooter63dewmeirelandlamboaudi4argonaut
  • Reply 18 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Gather round? 

360° video panoramas, maybe stereo, using two-lens cameras on iPhone and iPad Pro, With AR enhancements. Maybe.

Or like @JFC_PA says above, they are messing with us.
    iqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 75
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm guessing it's a hint at round watch or possible design of new mac mini. 
    edited August 2018 mike1cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 75
    That concentric ring graphic looks a lot like the electrical contacts used for connections that can rotate. put a magnet behind it, and it could be the new smart connector for an iPad Pro. The current smart connector has 3 pins and magnets to ensure connection, so that would match well with the graphic. The 3 pins are likely typical serial communication standard Tx/Rx & GND. Maybe we're going to see a new iPad Pro with a compatible keyboard module that would make it more like a convertible laptop. My $0.02, of course.
    welshdog