Compare the Series 4 Apple Watch 40mm and 44mm sizes to older models with this printable g...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
There aren't many options for screen size on the Apple Watch -- but there are an awful lot of different-sized wrists. AppleInsider shows you exactly the size of the new Series 4 Apple Watch in its 44mm and 40mm size plus how it really compares to the previous generations.

Jeff Williams presenting Apple Watch Series 4

Apple is unusual in how it produces two different sizes of smartwatch instead of one. It's also admirable in how it refuse to describe them as the gents and ladies models but that's another story. What has to occupy you when you're looking to buy is just exactly how big they are and whether they will fit on your wrist.

There is more to it than there is even with iPhones where comparing sizes can significantly aid your purchasing decision.

With Apple Watch you also need to consider how big they are in terms of volume. If you've never seen one in the flesh before, you'll be surprised both how small they are and yet how quick thick and sturdy they are on your wrist.

You do need to try at least one size on to get a true sense of the Apple Watch but here's the AppleInsider guide to Apple Watch sizes.

Inside the PDF you'll find full-size photographs of both Series 4 and the previous generations and you can print them out to compare. Download the embedded PDF below, and print it out. We've got a scale on each page that you should measure after you print, as characteristics of printers and drivers can vary somewhat. Scale accordingly.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    They're too big. Why does Apple suddenly have a fixation with size.
    If they would have kept the same 38mm size, I'd be in line for a gen4. But I don't want a bigger watch. 

Pretty soon we'll have iPhone sized watches and iPad sized phones, and they'll make a iPad the size of a laptop.... oh wait.
    rossb2
  • Reply 2 of 56
    sw5959sw5959 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    dm3 said:
    If they would have kept the same 38mm size, I'd be in line for a gen4. But I don't want a bigger watch. 

Pretty soon we'll have iPhone sized watches and iPad sized phones, and they'll make a iPad the size of a laptop.... oh wait.
    Seriously? A 2mm difference is too big? 1/16 of an inch? 

What won't people complain about when it comes to Apple?
    gutengelyojimbo007jamielStrangeDaysSoliboltsfan17claire1stanhopeuraharaRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 56
    dm3 said:

Perhaps for you, but the Chinese market wants larger phones and they make up a large percentage of Apple phone sales.
    stanhopewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 56
    This is such a huge difference on the body and screen. When you compare the new AW the old one, it looks like a cheap Chinese knock off. Can't wait to get mine!
    stanhopeGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    40mm is perfect!  B)
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

This is how it stacks up, the red areas are how much larger the 44mm is compared to the 42 ... it definitely makes the watch look larger.

Now compare it to the 42mm Huawei watch ... it's now larger than the watches many were saying were too big when the Apple Watch first came out, and the Huawei still has more display area, and no bezels.

dws-2jony0
  • Reply 7 of 56
    dm3 said:

My experience w/ the AW0 was they sounded and looked much bigger on paper. IRL they were smaller than expected. I returned a 38 for a 42 once I saw it in person.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    When I click the link - "This document has been removed from Scribd."
    caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 56

mac_128 said:
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

Now compare it to the 42mm Huawei watch ... it's now larger than the watches many were saying were too big when the Apple Watch first came out, and the Huawei still has more display area, and no bezels.

I question how useful the extra display area in a round display is. I'd argue it's less useful, and that that's the obvious reason why we don't have, you know, round monitors. 
    A name for this sitedws-2macplusplusbb-15netmageaaronsullivanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm not surprised they went bigger because it's a versatile wrist-worn device you interact with (not just look at). I suspect the next transition (assuming they can't just make the display larger without making the casing bigger (i.e.: reducing the bezel even more) will be to alter the aspect ratio so that it grows in side in the one way we have plenty of "wrist real estate" to spare. Of course, I don't think this will happen until smartwatch is considerably more commonplace and culture changes to accept larger displays, not unlike how the original iPhone screen was yuge until their efforts for the modern smartphone made larger display iPhones a must.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    When I click the link - "This document has been removed from Scribd."
    There are some scattered AWS issues today that are affecting Scribd and some other providers, so so says Scribd, at least. The file is available -- you may just have to try again later.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 56
    A name for this siteA name for this site Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Just like the iPhone doc:

Notice

This document has been removed from Scribd.

• Reply 13 of 56

mac_128 said:
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

I question how useful the extra display area in a round display is. I'd argue it's less useful, and that that's the obvious reason why we don't have, you know, round monitors. 
    Yes, but what about a pyramid?

dws-2doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Just like the iPhone doc:

Notice

This document has been removed from Scribd.

It is also possible that this is regional, or linked to adblocker settings. The document is getting read.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56

mac_128 said:
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

What are you talking about?!?  In this example, the round 42mm watch displays everything that the rectangular 44mm square displays, PLUS it has the areas outside that rectangle. You just can’t imagine putting anything there, like, say, a complication or any number of Apple apps that use a round metaphor, like activity rings, volume, or progress toward running goal?  Is the round monitor meme really so important to you that you willfully ignore all the extra real estate?
    mac_128
  • Reply 16 of 56
    How can i post a picture here?
  • Reply 17 of 56
    How can i post a picture here?

• Reply 18 of 56
    mac_128 said:
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

This is how it stacks up, the red areas are how much larger the 44mm is compared to the 42 ... it definitely makes the watch look larger.

I think you could have argued the same point before this new watch, given that the size change isn't really much in the picture you used.

It's also worth noting that with the Apple, you're including the whole thing, minus the strap. With the Huawei, you aren't including the additional top and bottom metal that's on the actual watch before the strap starts, and that looks to be substantial. Also, there are bezels, but they are covered with the steel ring. You may think that's a more attractive way to hide the bezel (and I think you'd get a lot of agreement on that), but the fact remains that the bezel is there (although it is probably somewhat smaller).

edited September 2018 netmagethtthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    larrya said:

mac_128 said:
    sw5959 said:
    dm3 said:

What are you talking about?!?  In this example, the round 42mm watch displays everything that the rectangular 44mm square displays, PLUS it has the areas outside that rectangle. You just can’t imagine putting anything there, like, say, a complication or any number of Apple apps that use a round metaphor, like activity rings, volume, or progress toward running goal?  Is the round monitor meme really so important to you that you willfully ignore all the extra real estate?
    Not even close. Geometry may be difficult, but the rate of shapes are absolute and should well understand. Also, mac_128's circle is only showing the footprint of the round casing—it's not showing you what the inset display would take up. You can see in the image of the 44mm Series 4 Watch that the four corners extend far beyond the circle.
    bb-15StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    dm3 said:

The perception and acceptance of the 'perfect size' is a moving target. When the first iPhone came out there were many comments about it being ridiculously big for a phone. When the large Androids came out they just looked silly but now nobody bats and eye when you hold an 6" device to your ear. As Watches and tAndroid equvelants prove themselves to be ever more useful I am sure they will continue to grow. I am not sure Apple has a fixation with size (maybe it is you?), they are just moving with the times. Design is not and never has been a 'fixed thing'. Not to evolve and develop = moving backwards. T'was always thus.
    SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra