Huawei trolls Apple by handing out power banks to customers waiting in line for an iPhone ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    The headline should really read, “Android Manufacturer Further Erodes Their Own Profitability”
    Rayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Huawei is wasting their effort. These are hard-core iPhone users. They are not going to switch.
    Never understood when other companies try to do this outside the Apple Stores. As you said, the people who camp out are the most hardcore of Apple fans. You’d have better luck getting an Apple employee to switch phones, lol. I wouldn’t turn down the free power bank though. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchiawatto_cobraCyborgKungFu
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Brilliant, Apple is now getting its competitors to give their customers feebees without paying them a cent! Now that's impressive, we knew Apple were good at marketing but this is another level. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchiaStrangeDaysdragan0405watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 82
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Making fun of people, even via a present, won't make you any friends. If they gave out donuts and pillows and such to people who had been waiting in line for hours, people would remember that.
    mike egglestonmac_dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 82
    These comments need more tinfoil.  Like...

I bet the banks have malware on them that will negatively impact the Xs and Max.   B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I think it's quite a funny stunt, though all they're really achieving is incentivising iPhone buyers to get in the queue; I doubt even the press is going to move the needle.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    I dunno. To me, the promo stunt reads like:  "Here; take a power bank. The new iPhone is so popular, and the lines are so long, that "You're going to need it".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 82
    You have to wonde if the board is happy about this. 

1) they just rewarded Apple customers with a product huawei paid for. 

2) they GAVE away product to a competitors customers. 

3) the messaging was actually not untrue. Everyone needs to charge their smart device at some point. A power bank is a great way to do it. 

4) ZERO recipients will look at this and then think: “oh I’m going to buy these guys products now”

5) must be for publicity only. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 82
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

I visited one Apple store in Hong Kong, there were zero outside lines, unlike years before. Just two guys who would try buy your phone hanging outside.
    Was about to buy in shop iWatch4 no problems with stock.

When you call it IWatch it makes me not believe you're story...
    supadav03lkruppRayz2016StrangeDaysdragan0405argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 82
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Weill Huawei just provided the only sensible reason to wait on line for an iPhone.   Otherwise, I think people who hang out in long lines for hours when they could wait a few weeks or order online is simply nuts.    But I'm glad to see that this incredible time (and money) waster is not limited to stupid Americans.    Anyone who gets so off on having a new phone on the first day of release has some serious problems IMO.  

Personally, I just had Apple replace the battery ($29) on my iPhone6 and they also must have cleaned out the Lightning jack because it's once again working great now.  I expect the new phones to be quite nice, but rather than spending $1000, I'll keep the 6 for another year.    Maybe next year will be more than incremental changes.  

muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 82
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    avon b7 said:
    LG and Samsung surely know more about batteries, since they make and sell them in the Automotive space as well.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 82
    zoetmb said:
    Weill Huawei just provided the only sensible reason to wait on line for an iPhone.   Otherwise, I think people who hang out in long lines for hours when they could wait a few weeks or order online is simply nuts.    But I'm glad to see that this incredible time (and money) waster is not limited to stupid Americans.    Anyone who gets so off on having a new phone on the first day of release has some serious problems IMO.  

Personally, I just had Apple replace the battery ($29) on my iPhone6 and they also must have cleaned out the Lightning jack because it's once again working great now.  I expect the new phones to be quite nice, but rather than spending $1000, I'll keep the 6 for another year.    Maybe next year will be more than incremental changes.  

“Incremental changes” ? Coming from someone who would be upgrading from an iPhone 6 to XS/XS Max it would be a monumental upgrade. Not sure what hardware features you’re waiting for but the new phones are already massively different from yours. 
    StrangeDaysargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    LG and Samsung surely know more about batteries, since they make and sell them in the Automotive space as well.

That may or may not be true but doesn't affect what I said in any way.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

Considering Huawei likes to lie about things, how can anything you said about them be taken seriously?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 82
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Clever marketing, although battery life is improved recently, so won't resonate like it would have a few years ago. It would have been more resonant and funny if they handed out food stamps or something to show how poor you're going to be after spending so much on the iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    aimbdd said:
    saarek said:
    Huawei is wasting their effort. These are hard-core iPhone users. They are not going to switch.
    Yes, but they're not trying to convince them. They want the free media coverage for those who might be on the fence.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed that Apple has not increased battery life for another year in a row, heck they actually decreased the battery in the XS against the X.

I cannot remember which poll it was, but it was a recent one, where it asked for the feature most people wanted in the next iPhone and the top answer was better battery life.
    What? What are you talking about? The iPhone X’s is rated for another 30 mins, and that phone was already pretty good. I went from charging halfway through the day with the 7 to making it the whole day  with the original x. And the Xr is even better!
    And someone said his post was informative. Uh, informative of erroneous info maybe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Oddly there is an English word that does not translate into Chinese language ... the word is ‘innovation’. However there are dozens of words for ‘steal’.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 82
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

The point is that you are pushing Huawei, in an effort to make them look like innovators. Maybe they are, but a link you posted having a /pr/ in it isn't exactly confidence building.

Fast charge is useful in smartphones, but crucial in EV's, and with that, I should add Panasonic to the mix, but there are many others. Graphene isn't an exclusive to Huawei, and truthfully, solid state battery tech is closest to fruition in the U.S.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/26/the-solid-state-lithium-ion-battery-has-john-goodenough-finally-done-it/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    You have to wonde if the board is happy about this. 

1) they just rewarded Apple customers with a product huawei paid for. 

2) they GAVE away product to a competitors customers. 

3) the messaging was actually not untrue. Everyone needs to charge their smart device at some point. A power bank is a great way to do it. 

4) ZERO recipients will look at this and then think: “oh I’m going to buy these guys products now”

5) must be for publicity only. 
    Point 5.

People are talking about it. Even people who say they don't care will be looking out of the corner of one eye on October 16th just to see if there is anything interesting to write home about. For those who have bought a new 2018 iPhone, it will obviously be compared to the Mate 20, if only to reassure them that the price was worth it. For those sitting on the fence, there is a double hook. The Mate 20 itself and the P20 Pro will drop in price. If you want the tri camera, low light long exposure, hand held photography, 3x optical zoom (5x hybrid) and all that, the P20 Pro might tempt them seeing as Apple hasn't provided any of that this year and the P20 Series is Supercharge capable anyway.

Even the most stalwart iPhone user will probably have some curiosity.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I would be more concerned about the internal parts that could be sending data back to the mothership. 
    watto_cobra