Hands on: 44mm Space Gray Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Ordered a 44mm GPS in space grey today. Upgrading from a gen 0, and I already have 6 straps. Funny thing is, I bought a used series 3 on ebay last weekend. I then realised later that series 4 has full screen on many faces. So I am going to sell my series 0 and 3, and stick with the 4. There appear to be some supply issues already in the UK. Apple  store is 1 month on delivery. I got lucky, and got one in stock from a third party retailer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    I got mine today , but ir damage in the bottom left corner like it was scuffed . No damage to box so must be a manufacture defect. Just waiting to be picked and we’ll see how long it takes to get a replacement. So check yours over. 
    williamlondonstanhopenetmage
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Got my 44mm AW4 today. Physically, the watch feels about the same size as my AW3 42mm, though it's obviously bigger if I really look at it. I have a big wrist, and I think the increased WxH gets offset by being flatter (like Gruber said in his review).

That said, the face seems disproportionately, absolutely huge. It's gorgeous, of course, but I'm seriously considering dropping down to the 40mm size (major drawback there being all my straps would no longer fit.) My old customized Modular watch face actually seems a little adrift on the bigger display, with the complication placements slightly 'off.' I'm trying out the Infograph face for a while, with a couple complications turned off: it seems better 'tuned' for the real estate than my old one. (Face font sizes do not seem affected by the 'Font Size' Settings.)

That aside: wow so far. Faster all over, from detecting heart rate to Airplay & Siri response, to search results, etc. Tomorrow I'll swim with it. Can't wait to try out the ECG/Afib features (which I didn't know were 'coming-later-this-year' features).
    edited September 2018 rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    burnsideburnside Posts: 17unconfirmed, member
    Looks great - but why can't I add some of the Complications to the new watch faces? Can't add Messages, Phone, Fantastical . . . 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dougd said:
    You could give me one for free and I wouldn't use it

Thanks for sharing, guy. Anything else in your life you don't use that we should know about? 
    I can guess one thing. 
    I believe the expression is “Ooooh, sic burn!”

StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:
    That video is making it hard for me to not get the Nike version in October.
    Hahahaha - I was shocked reading your comment thinking for a moment that the 'Nike version' was a different make of watch! What was Soli saying? But yes, the Nike version, nice.  :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    iqatedo said:
    Soli said:
    Hahahaha - I was shocked reading your comment thinking for a moment that the 'Nike version' was a different make of watch! What was Soli saying? But yes, the Nike version, nice.  :)
    1) LOL I can see Nike making their own.

2) I like the sports bands they use. My for Series 3 Nike Watch band is still in perfect shape so I could get something else, but I slo don't see myself changing up bands for the same of style.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:
    iqatedo said:
    Soli said:

2) I like the sports bands they use. My for Series 3 Nike Watch band is still in perfect shape so I could get something else, but I slo don't see myself changing up bands for the same of style.
    I'm still on first gen and love it but it will make a lovely gift for a grandchild... soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    I'm hearing that the Series 4 Watch will now connect to automobile BT for handsfree access and pushing AirPlay audio streams.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Soli said:
    I'm hearing that the Series 4 Watch will now connect to automobile BT for handsfree access and pushing AirPlay audio streams.
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back. 

Side question on watchOS 5: raise to Siri seems to work well but I haven’t been able to get HomeKit commands to work. I can get “send a message...” or “call ‘xxx’” to work but “turn on {whatever} lights” results in the watch face just staring back at me. Anyone else?
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Side question on watchOS 5: raise to Siri seems to work well but I haven’t been able to get HomeKit commands to work. I can get “send a message...” or “call ‘xxx’” to work but “turn on {whatever} lights” results in the watch face just staring back at me. Anyone else?
    I had exactly the same problem.  
    "Hey Siri, turn off the downstairs lights."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, preheat the oven to 350 degrees."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, crank up the AC!"  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri open the back door for 30 seconds to let the dog out and let her back in when she's done her business."  Nothing.
    I went to the Genius Bar and after a lot of testing and trial and error, we determined that the problem was that the Apple Watch can't control the lights and locks and other controls that I have in my house.  I can't believe Apple is making such a money grab and keeping this MAJOR limitation a secret.  I've have this house for nearly 20 years, but if I want to control my lights I have to buy special light bulbs or swap out some electrical stuff?  Apple couldn't figure out how to let the watch control my existing door locks and appliances without additional purchases?  I don't believe that.  Tim Cook is just greedy.  Steve would have insisted that the team figure out how to directly interface with the legacy analog controls that we all already have.  Apple is doomed.
    netmageburnsidefastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    burnside said:
    Looks great - but why can't I add some of the Complications to the new watch faces? Can't add Messages, Phone, Fantastical . . . 
    You can add many conplications, including ones from third party apps. The app has to allow it, though most do. But messages and a lot of others are classifies under notifications.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Just got notified my watch arrival has advanced from Oct. 12-19 to Sept. 26! Quite a bump. 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Soli said:
    iqatedo said:
    Soli said:

I got my space grey 44 yesterday...for anyone on the fence...don’t give it a second thought.  I have had at least one of every apple watch since the beginning.  The 4 puts to rest once and for all the many doom sayers who rose from the swamps to predict the watch would fail.  As I often have 2 apple watches, one just for the gym, I will buy the Nike edition next as I support their Colin Kaepernick marketing campaign.
    Solipropodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It’s annoying, but I ordered my new Watch at 3:06 am, and am on the second week - 28th to the 2nd. I check twice a day (maybe more, am I too anal about it?) to see whether it’s passed the Processing order stage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Soli said:
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back
    Yep. That's been the issue since Series 0. Almost extra annoying because they see each other, have the right PINs, and so you think everything will pair without incident.

This is another checkbox for me being able to dump my iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dougd said:
    You could give me one for free and I wouldn't use it

Then send it to me.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Just got notified my watch arrival has advanced from Oct. 12-19 to Sept. 26! Quite a bump. 
    Mine hasn't improved yet :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    jamiel said:
    Is it intentional on Apple's part or oversight that extra bands with lugs or buckles only come in a silver stainless version? How will it look having a silver lug in a gold stainless watch?
    The new gold Milanese loop certainly appears to have gold lugs in its pictures.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back
    Yep. That's been the issue since Series 0. Almost extra annoying because they see each other, have the right PINs, and so you think everything will pair without incident.

This is another checkbox for me being able to dump my iPhone.
    Just tried, still fails. Right, the pins match and I verify but then I get “Authorization Failed” on my car and the check your connections and try again on the Watch. 

Ah, well, hopefully some day soon. 
    watto_cobra