Hands on: 44mm Space Gray Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    netmage said:
    jamiel said:
    Is it intentional on Apple's part or oversight that extra bands with lugs or buckles only come in a silver stainless version? How will it look having a silver lug in a gold stainless watch?
    The new gold Milanese loop certainly appears to have gold lugs in its pictures.
    It looks like the same type of SS and finish, to me.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I'm hearing that the Series 4 Watch will now connect to automobile BT for handsfree access and pushing AirPlay audio streams.
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back
    Yep. That's been the issue since Series 0. Almost extra annoying because they see each other, have the right PINs, and so you think everything will pair without incident.

This is another checkbox for me being able to dump my iPhone.
    Just tried, still fails. Right, the pins match and I verify but then I get “Authorization Failed” on my car and the check your connections and try again on the Watch. 

Ah, well, hopefully some day soon. 
    I wish I knew who posted it so I could ask what vehicle they have. I think this is at least mostly Apple's fault. 
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Side question on watchOS 5: raise to Siri seems to work well but I haven’t been able to get HomeKit commands to work. I can get “send a message...” or “call ‘xxx’” to work but “turn on {whatever} lights” results in the watch face just staring back at me. Anyone else?
    I had exactly the same problem.  
    "Hey Siri, turn off the downstairs lights."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, preheat the oven to 350 degrees."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, crank up the AC!"  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri open the back door for 30 seconds to let the dog out and let her back in when she's done her business."  Nothing.
    I went to the Genius Bar and after a lot of testing and trial and error, we determined that the problem was that the Apple Watch can't control the lights and locks and other controls that I have in my house.  I can't believe Apple is making such a money grab and keeping this MAJOR limitation a secret.  I've have this house for nearly 20 years, but if I want to control my lights I have to buy special light bulbs or swap out some electrical stuff?  Apple couldn't figure out how to let the watch control my existing door locks and appliances without additional purchases?  I don't believe that.  Tim Cook is just greedy.  Steve would have insisted that the team figure out how to directly interface with the legacy analog controls that we all already have.  Apple is doomed.
    I’m not exactly following your post. To be clear, “Hey Siri” works just fine on my Series 4, just like it did on my Series 3 and Series 0. It’s Raise to Siri that I’m having HomeKit issues with and so far only HomeKit. As I mentioned, Raise to Siri works for other things like sending texts or getting conversions. 

Are you implying my post somehow reflects poorly on Apple or that I believe some wrong had been done to me? If so, that wasn’t my intention. Mostly I’m just curious if others can use RtS for HomeKit requests. 
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Soli said:
    I'm hearing that the Series 4 Watch will now connect to automobile BT for handsfree access and pushing AirPlay audio streams.
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back. 

Side question on watchOS 5: raise to Siri seems to work well but I haven’t been able to get HomeKit commands to work. I can get “send a message...” or “call ‘xxx’” to work but “turn on {whatever} lights” results in the watch face just staring back at me. Anyone else?
    Siri turns lights on and off just fine for me on my new Series 4.  I can't test any other home functions, since I only have appliance switches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 64
    bonobob said:
    Soli said:
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back. 

Siri turns lights on and off just fine for me on my new Series 4.  I can't test any other home functions, since I only have appliance switches.
    I think it’s just a matter of the feature working or not. Sometimes it works as expected and other times it’s not doing anything. The first few things I tried worked fine but no HomeKit requests would. About 20 minutes ago I successfully had a HomeKit request go through but I’ve had difficulty setting a timer and sending a text. 

Maybe it’s my timing or something else I’m just not doing properly and I’ll get better over time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Did anyone else know that all, including United States, Apple Series 4 watch customers will have to wait for the promised, electrocardiogram/EKG/ECG major enhancements? The function will only be released in a later update, at an unknown date, and is therefore not available to any buyers at the start of the sale. The feature was the most impressive improvement of the Series 4 during the unveiling at the iPhone XS event. It was not mentioned by Apple that these key improvements would not be available to any current buyers, until an unknown future date. The brand new Apple Watch Series 4 does have an improved heart rate monitor. Whenever they decide to enable the functionality, you will receive a notification, from the Apple ECG App, if you suffer from a heart sinus rhythm abnormality or atrial fibrillation. The other missing improvement of the electronic heart sensor is a built-in app to make a heart movie (ECG). To make a heart movie and potentially share it with your physician, users will have to put a finger on the Digital Crown while they are wearing the watch. Then wait 30 seconds and the ECG is ready. So you measure with your watch whether there are abnormalities in your heart rhythm, which is often an important symptom of serious health problems. How did this key feature just disappear and why didn't Apple make this information immediately available to the public? I spoke with an entry level Apple Series 4 Watch support tech today and he told me that Apple decided not to roll out those features in the current Series 4 OS5 Watch, due to problems. The Apple Rep promised to email me web links with this information on the delayed enhancements and I have yet to receive any email, as promised. Bait and Switch? I expected more from Apple. They should have stated this at the 9/12/18 announcements and when we were given a chance to purchase them on 9/14/18. I've had mine less than 24 hours. What other features and enhancements that were promised, are not available?
  • Reply 47 of 64
    DAT said:
    Did anyone else know that all, including United States, Apple Series 4 watch customers will have to wait for the promised, electrocardiogram/EKG/ECG major enhancements? The function will only be released in a later update, at an unknown date, and is therefore not available to any buyers at the start of the sale. The feature was the most impressive improvement of the Series 4 during the unveiling at the iPhone XS event. It was not mentioned by Apple that these key improvements would not be available to any current buyers, until an unknown future date.

How did this key feature just disappear and why didn't Apple make this information immediately available to the public? I spoke with an entry level Apple Series 4 Watch support tech today and he told me that Apple decided not to roll out those features in the current Series 4 OS5 Watch, due to problems. The Apple Rep promised to email me web links with this information on the delayed enhancements and I have yet to receive any email, as promised. Bait and Switch? I expected more from Apple.
    They mentioned during the announcement of the Apple Watch Series 4 that the ECG app would be coming later this year. It was no secret and mentioned from the very start. 

Edit: from apple.com

edited September 2018 DATStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    What’s the battery life difference between the 44 and 40?  I got the bigger 3 because it did last longer but would rather get the smaller 4.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 64
    DAT said:
    Did anyone else know that all, including United States, Apple Series 4 watch customers will have to wait for the promised, electrocardiogram/EKG/ECG major enhancements? The function will only be released in a later update, at an unknown date, and is therefore not available to any buyers at the start of the sale. The feature was the most impressive improvement of the Series 4 during the unveiling at the iPhone XS event. It was not mentioned by Apple that these key improvements would not be available to any current buyers, until an unknown future date.

How did this key feature just disappear and why didn't Apple make this information immediately available to the public? I spoke with an entry level Apple Series 4 Watch support tech today and he told me that Apple decided not to roll out those features in the current Series 4 OS5 Watch, due to problems. The Apple Rep promised to email me web links with this information on the delayed enhancements and I have yet to receive any email, as promised. Bait and Switch? I expected more from Apple.
    They mentioned during the announcement of the Apple Watch Series 4 that the ECG app would be coming later this year. It was no secret and mentioned from the very start. 

Edit: from apple.com

Thank's for the clarification...  I obviously missed it in the keynote.  I also searched the web today and found no mention any US delay on any Tech sites or in any Apple.com Support article's. 
  • Reply 50 of 64
    DAT said:
    Did anyone else know that all, including United States, Apple Series 4 watch customers will have to wait for the promised, electrocardiogram/EKG/ECG major enhancements? The function will only be released in a later update, at an unknown date, and is therefore not available to any buyers at the start of the sale. The feature was the most impressive improvement of the Series 4 during the unveiling at the iPhone XS event. It was not mentioned by Apple that these key improvements would not be available to any current buyers, until an unknown future date. The brand new Apple Watch Series 4 does have an improved heart rate monitor. Whenever they decide to enable the functionality, you will receive a notification, from the Apple ECG App, if you suffer from a heart sinus rhythm abnormality or atrial fibrillation. The other missing improvement of the electronic heart sensor is a built-in app to make a heart movie (ECG). To make a heart movie and potentially share it with your physician, users will have to put a finger on the Digital Crown while they are wearing the watch. Then wait 30 seconds and the ECG is ready. So you measure with your watch whether there are abnormalities in your heart rhythm, which is often an important symptom of serious health problems. How did this key feature just disappear and why didn't Apple make this information immediately available to the public? I spoke with an entry level Apple Series 4 Watch support tech today and he told me that Apple decided not to roll out those features in the current Series 4 OS5 Watch, due to problems. The Apple Rep promised to email me web links with this information on the delayed enhancements and I have yet to receive any email, as promised. Bait and Switch? I expected more from Apple. They should have stated this at the 9/12/18 announcements and when we were given a chance to purchase them on 9/14/18. I've had mine less than 24 hours. What other features and enhancements that were promised, are not available?
    You’re reading it wrong. 

And no, you are not a victim. Apple didn’t victimize you. Stop. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 64
    DAT said:
    Thank's for the clarification...  I obviously missed it in the keynote.  I also searched the web today and found no mention any US delay on any Tech sites or in any Apple.com Support articles. 
    https://bit.ly/2QT1UlR

Most of those links reported it the day of the keynote. Apple certainly made no attempt to hide it, they don't even mention it as a feature on any site apart from the US one and even there it has numerous times "ECG app coming later this year" disclaimers. 

If you're in the US I think it's very likely you'll see the app later this year. If you're elsewhere in the world, I'm pretty skeptical it'll be seen in very many other countries, ever. 

If you bought it for that feature specifically then send it back to Apple, they do have a very good return policy, then wait until it's actually released. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Soli said:
    That video is making it hard for me to not get the Nike version in October.
    Wasn't hard for me. Started with Steel. Last time went ceramic gray. The new Nike faces look great. So I "downgraded" to aluminum.

Can't wait for October 5th. 
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Appleish said:
    Soli said:
    Wasn't hard for me. Started with Steel. Last time went ceramic gray. The new Nike faces look great. So I "downgraded" to aluminum.

I've never really had an interesting in the SS, and certainly not the SS bands. I want it to be as light as possible which means I'm perfectly OK with the Ion-X Glass on front and even the plastic on plastic backing, but I have no choice for the ceramic and sapphire backing for my Nike GPS+Celluar. I opt for the larger models, but that's so much extra utility that it outweighs any weight gain.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Soli said:
    Appleish said:
    Soli said:

I've never really had an interesting in the SS, and certainly not the SS bands. I want it to be as light as possible which means I'm perfectly OK with the Ion-X Glass on front and even the plastic on plastic backing, but I have no choice for the ceramic and sapphire backing for my Nike GPS+Celluar. I opt for the larger models, but that's so much extra utility that it outweighs any weight gain.
    I have a Series 0 SS with Link Bracelet,  and part of what I like about it is the extra weight, that it feels more substantial. I only wear it occasionally, though.  For my day-to-day and working out I love the aluminum body with a Nike sport band. They’re so light together I don’t notice it when I’m not interacting with it. So great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 64
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    dougd said:
    You could give me one for free and I wouldn't use it

Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this story and then comment on it.

Says a lot about you.

Nothing good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 64
    I had exactly the same problem.  
    "Hey Siri, turn off the downstairs lights."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, preheat the oven to 350 degrees."  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri, crank up the AC!"  Nothing.
    "Hey Siri open the back door for 30 seconds to let the dog out and let her back in when she's done her business."  Nothing.
    I went to the Genius Bar and after a lot of testing and trial and error, we determined that the problem was that the Apple Watch can't control the lights and locks and other controls that I have in my house.  I can't believe Apple is making such a money grab and keeping this MAJOR limitation a secret.  I've have this house for nearly 20 years, but if I want to control my lights I have to buy special light bulbs or swap out some electrical stuff?  Apple couldn't figure out how to let the watch control my existing door locks and appliances without additional purchases?  I don't believe that.  Tim Cook is just greedy.  Steve would have insisted that the team figure out how to directly interface with the legacy analog controls that we all already have.  Apple is doomed.
    I’m not exactly following your post. To be clear, “Hey Siri” works just fine on my Series 4, just like it did on my Series 3 and Series 0. It’s Raise to Siri that I’m having HomeKit issues with and so far only HomeKit. As I mentioned, Raise to Siri works for other things like sending texts or getting conversions. 

Are you implying my post somehow reflects poorly on Apple or that I believe some wrong had been done to me? If so, that wasn’t my intention. Mostly I’m just curious if others can use RtS for HomeKit requests. 
    Sorry, just a lame, overdone joke implying that you thought that Siri could control non-Homekit devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Just got notified my watch arrival has advanced from Oct. 12-19 to Sept. 26! Quite a bump. 
    That’s very odd. Mine is still saying September 28-Oct 2, and hasn’t gotten out of processing order yet. Maybe that’s because it’s the black SS model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 64

Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I’ll have to try. Just last week I was trying to connect my Series 3, it was detected but would fail over and over. I tried restarting my Watch, the system in the car, turning off Bluetooth and then back on, etc., and nothing worked. When I actually get out of bed today I’ll give it a shit and report back
    Yep. That's been the issue since Series 0. Almost extra annoying because they see each other, have the right PINs, and so you think everything will pair without incident.

This is another checkbox for me being able to dump my iPhone.
    Just tried, still fails. Right, the pins match and I verify but then I get “Authorization Failed” on my car and the check your connections and try again on the Watch. 

Ah, well, hopefully some day soon. 
    Have any of you guys thought of calling Apple about the problem? When I tried pairing my series 3 last year, I couldn’t do it. I tried over several days. I was going to the Apple Store anyway, so I asked. It turned out that I didn’t completely remove the series 2 from the phone app as I thought I did. My friend, who had bought the series 2 from me couldn’t pair his either until I fixed that rather simple problem. Then all was well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 64
    DAT said:
    They said, very clearly, that the ekg function would be available later this year here, and later in some other countries as well. Apple needs to. Get clearance from other agencies in each country before making the feature go live.

you're just trolling.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 64

nht said:
    What’s the battery life difference between the 44 and 40?  I got the bigger 3 because it did last longer but would rather get the smaller 4.
    They said that both got 18 hours.
    watto_cobra