Why the Heck are you calling your self that?!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>My hero is Michelangelo Buonarotti, renaissance artist, the greatest architect who ever lived. Calling myself "Michelangelo" seemed more pompous than deferential though. Given that and my low self-esteem, I've dubbed myself "BuonRotto" which literally means "well-broken" in Italian. (As a side story, Michelangelo had his nose broken in his early adolescence and it never set right again.) I'm not Italian in case you're thinking that. I did spend half a year in Rome during college though, but my Italian is rather poor at this point.

As another asde, I just sold my soul for a rare and very large folio of Michelangelo's architectural works. I can't wait to get it. I can't bear to look at my coming credit card bill though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...what folio did you get?
  • Reply 42 of 130
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>Originally I was Macintosh...precisely because I wanted to try and register that, just hoping that nobody had done so on an Apple Computer themed message board. I dont think it really needs to be explained, its just an awesome name.

I took Mr. Macintosh when I was allowed back. I am grown up a little bit if you cant tell.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait, so, you're back, but the ban is still in place? Or is the AI ban on someone else? Note to mods: I'm STILL banned (by accident). When I'm at home, I can only post by logging in through my UCLA proxy. Shame on you guys!

My story: there was a game long ago on the Super Nintendo called Super Mario RPG, and a character named Frogfucius who liked to dole out wisdom and eat cricket pie. When I joined the Internet community through Palace, a graphical chat program, I wanted to go by the handle of Bowser. But since I couldn't find a good whole image of the 3D Bowser, I took Frogfucius instead. Time went by, and people called me shorter variations on the handle Frogfucius. One day a guy from Tennessee called me frawgz, and I carried that with me to the Mac forums.
  • Reply 43 of 130
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>tonton is an endearing nick my college sweetheart gave me. It's rooted in my first name (anyone guess what it is will get a special prize). Although I am an uncle, that's not the inspiration.</strong><hr></blockquote>

.. Anton?
  • Reply 44 of 130
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Great thread...I've often wondered about many of you and your user names.

pscates? First name initial and last name.

Don't call me "cates" or "psc".

pscates or Paul are both fine with me.
  • Reply 45 of 130
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

<strong>tonton is an endearing nick my college sweetheart gave me. It's rooted in my first name (anyone guess what it is will get a special prize). Although I am an uncle, that's not the inspiration.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tom.
  • Reply 46 of 130
    futuremac?

well i've been on these boards what at least 4 years or more and have been "getting a mac" for awhile now. when i first came on i knew i wanted a mac but didn't know which kind, and just as i was ready to buy, rumors of a new feature would pop up and id wait. so i called myself "futuremac" because a mac is in my future (i guess ill call myself "presentmac" then lol)
  • Reply 47 of 130
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Named after my long-haired black cat Ebby, (short for ebony) who spends as much time on my keyboard as I do. :cool:

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 130
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    [quote]Originally posted by FormerLurker:

<strong>Less obvious part is the initials, referring to the state of my location!</strong><hr></blockquote>

America's Wang?
  • Reply 49 of 130
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I like this thread. I always wanted to know why you’re named like that, and what story was behind it.

My name, <a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Defiant"; target="_blank">Defiant</a>, was chosen for no reason.

I didn’t know what it meant, but I just thought it was cool. Originally I was going for Sawtooth or something, but I don’t know why I ended up with Defiant.

Brad, why did you change your name at all ? Why don’t you use your first handle ?
  • Reply 50 of 130
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    mines not very exciting. And, no it has nothing to do with star wars. JRA are my initials 10 is the second half of my last name. (not the number, "ten"). so that's the boring part.

When I was 16 my 3 brothers and I were up at our lake house (northern Michigan, Harbor Springs). We would barefoot waterski, and that summer we were up there with 5 of our friends having fun. 4 of us were in the boat and my brother was behind it when the engine managed to catch on fire. So yeah, I was the one yelling "OVERBOARD!!!!!" We all jumped out of the boat and it eventually slammed into the retaining wall in front of our place.

Affectionately, they all dubbed me Overboard, and somehow that became overboard "JRA" since before then my nickname was just JRA (like J-Lo, only I'm not a girl and I don't have a fat ass, and I had mine first). So anyway, it eventually became OBJRA for short, and since that was unbelievably taken on this board, I added the 10.

Okay, that made no sense, but oh well....
  • Reply 51 of 130
    I`m not telling the story behind this name... I often go by Silent Echos or something along that lines aswell because that "Theme" Goes with the PHP Forum I`m currently writing.
  • Reply 52 of 130
    I normally go by the name CybeRuin. A name i made up about 5 years ago. I wont explain it but it bought me nothing but badluck, needless to say i have 1 divorce thanks to it. So i kept the cyber part and because its taken me so long to learn from my mistakes i am now a monkey, hence the name.
  • Reply 53 of 130

<strong>It's rooted in my first name (anyone guess what it is will get a special prize).</strong><hr></blockquote>Ben

- T.I.
  • Reply 54 of 130
    Used to love the comic Tank Girl in Deadline magazine, Booger is a main character.... Crustibooga is to do with snot though, plus I had real difficulty finding a Hotmail name.... Crustibooga STUCK!!

Am also known as Squoooooge, my ex used to like lots of squoooooges!
  • Reply 55 of 130
    stupider...likeafox is a reference to the Simpsons.

In the episode Lemon of Troy when the neighbouring town (Shelbyville) steals the towns historic lemon tree the following exchange occurs between Homer and his Shelbyville doppelganger.

----------------------

Homer goes down to the impound lot gates to argue with Shelby's father.

Homer: That tree's been in Springfield since the time of our forefathers. Give it back or we'll bust in there and take it!

Shelby's Father: Bust in here and take it? You must be stupider than you look.

Homer: Stupider like a fox!

[tries to climb the fence; fails]

[panting] I'm OK.

[tries again; fails again]

Shelby's Father: [chuckles] Don't you get it, Springfield? It's over. You lose! Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk has made me hungry. [bites into a lemon; his face contorts at the bitterness]

-------------------

I don't know why I removed the spaces.
  • Reply 56 of 130
    Gotta love The Simpsons. I feel ashamed at the unbridled banality of combining my first name with my city of residence. I think I might change it to the name I use on the sonikmatter and osxaudio boards.
  • Reply 57 of 130
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by /mandolux/:

<strong>

...what folio did you get?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's actually a book published by Einaudi in the 1960's that's about the size of two NYC telephone books, edited by a bunch of contemporary architects: Paolo Portoghesi, Bruno Zevi, etc. It's all in Italian, but the photos are excellent, the sketches are reproduced well, and it has reconstructed hardline drawings of all the major architectural works including details.
  • Reply 58 of 130
    Great thread. Why haven't we thought of this before?

Johnny Dangerously, of course, is in reference to the 1983 Michael Keaton movie. My old boss called me that once, originally as an ironic reference to my almost-stoic demeanor. It pretty much stuck since then, and everywhere I go I'm registered as JohnnyDangerously or a slight variant, but I've found there's more to the similarity than meets the eye:

. . . I absolutely love the movie, and Michael Keaton.

. . . like the movie, I am more a "cast of characters" than I am any one identifiable person. I am always doing impersonations of family, coworkers, passersby, etc. I'm good, too. I even do quotes from many characters in JD. A more recent movie character I identify with is George Luz from Band of Brothers, even though he was a real-life person.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

BTW, great one, Murbot.

- Johnny Dangerously
  • Reply 59 of 130
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ne'rmind, 'twas stupid.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 130
    I think this is a fun thread.

I chose my cat's name. My cat's name is, officially (hey, it's on his collar tag!), "Spot E. Bug". I used to use it all the time when filling out online forms (when I thought whoever didn't really need/deserve my real info).

I wasn't really an "online guy" (posting in forums or chatting online) until a little over a year ago. While trying to come up with a cool nick, I realized I had already been using one. So, I took "Spot E. Bug" and shortened it to "spotbug". Then (isn't this exciting!), my wife wanted the two of us to use AIM to chat while we were both working. Well, "spotbug," to my total amazement, was already taken on AIM, so I stuck "cat" in the middle to get "spotcatbug".

I was just plain "spotbug" here at AI for a while, but then I lost my cookie and, no matter what I tried, I just couldn't get logged back in, so I decided to sync-up my AI and AIM nicks.

Gosh, that was long for, basically, nothin'.