Why the Heck are you calling your self that?!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    I use other names at other places online, but when I was registering for a Mac-themed board, I wanted somethign vaguely Mac-themed. I don't remember exactly how I hit on the idea, but SledgeHammer is a reference to the 1984 commmerical. At another board where I used the name I had an image sig that contained the full text of the commercial

unfortunately, the text is a little small to read, but it was necessary to get the desired negative text effect

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: SledgeHammer ]</p>
  • Reply 62 of 130
    I must hide my identity. A certain computer company doesn't like it's employees posting or commenting on these message boards.

I feel sometimes we are all clones, one of many in a mass, mindlessly going about our lives; nodes on a huge network, all interconnected.
  • Reply 63 of 130
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

It's actually a book published by Einaudi in the 1960's that's about the size of two NYC telephone books, edited by a bunch of contemporary architects: Paolo Portoghesi, Bruno Zevi, etc. It's all in Italian, but the photos are excellent, the sketches are reproduced well, and it has reconstructed hardline drawings of all the major architectural works including details.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The reason I ask is because I've been looking for something similar in the public libraries of Los Angeles, Orange County, local universities, and Santa Barbarra but none of them have a decent one or they don't allow you to take it out. Publishers nowdays don't even try like they used to do in the past. No wonder people steal them when they have a chance (I would!).

UCLA used to have a folio on Jean-Auguste Dominiqe Ingres and it had a life-size (1x1) reproductions of his works (the two books were almost four feet tall and each weight like a mother!!!). I don't remember how old they were but they were BEAUTIFUL!
  • Reply 64 of 130
    I am Dorsal M because someone took Dorsal and my first choice, Outsider, was already taken. Bastard!
  • Reply 65 of 130
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hey, f*ck you buddy, I'm still waiting for my G5 PowerPC 7470 with RapidIO and Firewire 1600!
  • Reply 66 of 130
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Hey, f*ck you buddy, I'm still waiting for my G5 PowerPC 7470 with RapidIO and Firewire 1600! </strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL Nice!

I am Gambit because, years ago when I first started this whole internet thing, I needed a screen name and Wolverine sounded lame. It was a toss up between Gambit and Bishop and Gambit won out. It's not original but it stuck so what can I do?
  • Reply 67 of 130
    I was in a hurry and too lazy to think of a cooler name. As I was looking for a new Mac at that time, I did hope to spot some information on the new G4's or G5's or whatever the next generation would be. The similarity to the german word <a href=" =standard&sectHdr=off&tableBorder=1&cmpType=relaxe d&lang=en" target="_blank">Spötter</a> came handy as I was mocking myself that I spend too much time digging for mac information...
  • Reply 68 of 130
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by GSpotter:

<strong>I was in a hurry and too lazy to think of a cooler name. As I was looking for a new Mac at that time, I did hope to spot some information on the new G4's or G5's or whatever the next generation would be. The similarity to the german word <a href=" =standard&sectHdr=off&tableBorder=1&cmpType=relaxe d&lang=en" target="_blank">Spötter</a> came handy as I was mocking myself that I spend too much time digging for mac information...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh i thought it had something to do with the G-Spot...
  • Reply 69 of 130
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well...

In high school, we assigned each other with radio names while we communicated via walkie-talkie in theatre. A bunch of us were "Sneakers" (movie with Robert Redford) fans, so I took Cosmo.

When I came here to register, Cosmo was already taken, so I thought, "Well, I'm kind of strange, and CosmoNut sounds kind of cool, so I'll go with that."

So there you go. I'm not Russian. I'm not an astronaut. I just use the name here.
  • Reply 70 of 130
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>I must hide my identity. A certain computer company doesn't like it's employees posting or commenting on these message boards.

I feel sometimes we are all clones, one of many in a mass, mindlessly going about our lives; nodes on a huge network, all interconnected.</strong><hr></blockquote>

aha! i knew it was u steve!

• Reply 71 of 130
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Originally posted by /mandolux/:

The reason I ask is because I've been looking for something similar in the public libraries of Los Angeles, Orange County, local universities, and Santa Barbarra but none of them have a decent one or they don't allow you to take it out.

Alibris has a feature called book Fetch where you can enter info for books you're looking for. It sends an e-mail alert and a link whenever a used book dealer posts something matching your criteria. My search was terribly specific or else my e-mail would be swamped. They spell "Michelangelo" as "Michelangiolo" in the title, plus I added the editors names, the publisher and the year to the search. I've had this one search working for the past 30 months. There were two other occasions where this book popped up, once when I was too late (the book was sold within 2 minutes of its posting), and once where someone bought the book at the local store, trumping my attempted online purchase.

No wonder people steal them when they have a chance (I would!).

This book was in the general stacks of Cornell's fine arts library the entire time I went to school there. I considered stealing it, but I decided against it for the Greater Good? that others would learn about the master through it.

Most other stuff like it, like the stuff you're talking about was kept behind the circulation desk. The really REALLY amazing stuff couldn't even be seen without signig your name in blood, and then you got to see it encased in helium. Cornell has an original Gutenburg Bible. As you imagine, I never got to see it and pretty much no else did either.
  • Reply 72 of 130
    My favorite color is blue, and I was born in the Chinese year of the Rabbit.
  • Reply 73 of 130
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    what a fun thread!

Ok, it was way back in '96, fall term of my freshman year of college. Two sophmores lived across the hall from me, Alan and Alex. They were kind of slackers, and had a movie in their room most every night. So, the second week of school, on a Wed. night I'm over watching "Animal House"

Most everyone in the room was drunk except for me (this was a few months before I crossed over the dark side). At any rate, the character Flounder comes on the screen, and Alan gives me this sort of drunken stare and says, "You look sorta like Flounder, can I call you Flounder?" I really don't look like Flounder at all, but I used to be pretty chunky so I suppose I did a little bit. Anyways, being kind of a shy freshman and wanting to be agreable, I said, "sure."

So Alan and Alex started calling me Flounder. Plus, my friend Jalean decided I was like Flounder from "The Little Mermaid" and she started calling me Flounder too. Within a couple weeks that's what everyone called me. By the time I was a senior I even had a couple of professors that called me Flounder.

So that's the story of my name.
  • Reply 74 of 130
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    While this thread is fun, it is depressing for me because so far only one other person has mentioned using BBSes... ah those were the days...

Well my name... obvious enough... I'm a man and I majored in music playing trumpet.

The most annoying thing about my handle is that people ask "Do you really play trumpet?"

I mean I could understand if it were some supercool ability, superpower, or even personality trait that we all wish for... something like Ninja, Hyponotic boy, or something like that...

but desperately longing...to play trumpet? Please...

So to answer... yes I do.

Nick
  • Reply 75 of 130
    eb0yeb0y Posts: 1member
    Well this is what thegelding calls me anyway...
  • Reply 76 of 130
    HEY!!!! It's EbOy......lol....poor kid, everyone is gonna start calling him that now...i've seen brad and murbot do it so far....i like EbOy better anyway....told him that the O looks like a pregnant belly, where the A in EmAn is just much too phallic for it's own good....g
  • Reply 77 of 130
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    It's my last name. Before this I used 'the janitor', while I was a janitor.

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 77 of 130
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I wanna know which one of you took the name EbOy because it was taken... I had to use a zero.
  • Reply 79 of 130
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    One member name per person guys.

I'll just lock out EmAn... keep it to your new Eb0y account please.

Thanks.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    in a previous life time I was known as V-Twin (or some variation of it)... cause of what I did to my friends older brother's brand new ducati when I was in high school...

nowa days - I'm an graduate EE major in Los Angeles, to be finished in May with my MS - at which point I will go work for the GREAT satan, and continue my work towards a PhD... but thats not why I choose "grad student" - I choose it cause it rhymes with apple.