Apple Support Wars 2 (Fran strikes back AND WINS!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Posts from a previous thread to 'clean things up a bit'

[quote]posted 01-03-2003 07:18 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Actually, I have to send in my PowerBook to get it looked at again. I've been putting it off, though, because I really need it right now. Plus, my AppleCare experiences have hardly ever been good.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-03-2003 07:35 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

*is on phone with Apple Support right now*

*has already been hung up on twice*

*shakes fist*<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-03-2003 07:48 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

I finally got through and they had to *transfer me* to the PowerBook department.

The times that I got disconnected, the phone would ring as if I was going to talk to someone and then it would go dead. I never actually talked to a human being.

Right now, my Pismo's hinge is shot. I need to prop up the screen with something behind it or it will crash down. Then there is my battery which holds less than an hour of charge and my DVD drive which was a replacement from last summer which doesn't read DVDs and some CDs.

There's some other stuff too, but I'm not going to get into it here. It will just make me angry before I talk to the Apple Support people and I'm sure it's already in their system that I'm a 'hostile person'.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-03-2003 09:53 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Well I got off the phone with Apple, and after a long conversation, a box is coming to pick up my Pismo on Monday. Hopefully, things go well, but I'm skeptical.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]1/3/03 Repair Requested

1/6/03 Request Acknowledged

1/9/03 Unit Received

1/9/03 Begin Repair

1/9/03 Hold - Admn. Requote

" When a product to be repaired is placed on hold, one of a variety of issues may be the reason. Here's a more thorough list of the reasons:

Hold - Waiting for Quote / Requote - Diagnostics Complete à Repair Pending Customer Approval "

Oh yeah. This looks good.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-13-2003 11:28 AM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Oh, it's getting better.

They want to charge me $629.95 to fix the computer due to 'damage to the plastic casing'. What was the damage to the plastic casing do you ask? It's from when the hinge popped off of the machine! Yeah, it's really my fault that the hinge broke.

The quote also includes the battery which 'drains quickly'. That's why I sent the thing in to be replaced! How is the battery draining quickly (About 1 hour of battery life) my fault?

I just don't get Apple sometimes.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-13-2003 11:49 AM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

I was 'firm' with the Apple Care Customer Service Representitive and told them all of the problems I've had in the past. She looked up my case history and about 15 minutes later, came back on the phone saying that they were going to move forward with the repairs at no charge and were going to expedite it.

She also said that if there was anything wrong with the machine at all when I get it back to call them back immediately to get it squared away.

I'll be happy when the machine is back. Until then, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-15-2003 05:43 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Well my PowerBook came back today. It has a new battery and a new case. Unfortunately, Apple did NOT fix/replace the DVD ROM drive. Not only that, but it no longer reads ANY CDs or DVDs (the drive never read DVDs to begin with).

It looks like I'm going to be back on the phone with Apple again tonight. Even when I 'win', I lose.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-15-2003 07:28 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Well I'm off the phone with Apple. They put me through an unbelievable amount of stupid tests to get the DVD-ROM drive to work again.

Finally, they wouldn't admit that the drive was broken despite the fact that none of these 'tests' worked. Why wouldn't they admit it wasn't working? The PowerBook was just at Apple's repair center and someone there said that the drive worked 'within specified perameters'.

So instead of doing the thing they should have done in the first place (which was install a new DVD drive), they claimed the drive worked with CDs and DVDs. Now they won't even send me a new DVD drive to 'swap out' like they normally do.

Instead of doing it the normal way, they 'insist' that I take the computer to an authorized Apple dealer and have them see that the DVD drive doesn't work. At that point they will either have to order a new DVD-ROM drive or send my computer back to Apple for me. That's about the last thing I want to have happen (sending the computer back to Apple).

Needless to say, I'm pissed. Apple obviously doesn't care about it's customer service at all.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-16-2003 05:28 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

I went to the MacEdge in Nashua today (RIP ComputerTown) and they looked at the CD drive.

Guess what? It doesn't work.

Not only that, but they tested a drive they had from a Pismo in my machine and it DID work. Apple claims they tested the drive and it was fine, but it wasn't working when I sent it in and wasn't working when I got it back.

The chances that it mysteriously started working on the flight down and the chances that it mysteriously stopped working on the return trip? Not good, I'll tell you that.

So they put in an order for the new drive and if they have them available, I should have my new drive tomorrow. If not, they'll call me when one comes in.

But now that I've looked at some alternatives (mainly MCE drives), I wouldn't mind one of those new slot loading DVD/CD-RW combo drives. They reportedly have fast burning CD-R and CD-RW speeds so I might have to pick one of those up.

Hopefully, this will be the end of my PowerBook issues. My warranty expires in a few months. It was actually extended at one point to 05/03/05 for all of the trouble they put be through but someone at Apple later changed it back to 03/01/03 and sent me a letter saying there had been a 'mistake' and that AppleCare is never extended for any reason.

The next time my PowerBook has a problem after March 1st (hopefully never), I'll have to buy a new machine. We'll see what happens in the next few months.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]posted 01-17-2003 01:29 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

Well I talked to the guys at MacEdge today and apparently, Apple only has the DVD-ROM drives on backorder! I was quoted a 4-5 week 'delay' in getting my new drive.

So once again, I spent a good part of the morning on the phone with Apple (and most of that time was on hold).

After hearing from the first tech support agent that the only thing I could do was 'wait it out' or 'buy a firewire CD-ROM drive', I asked to talk to someone higher up in the chain.

Finally, they checked and found a stock of the drives (surprise, surprise). So they are sending me a new drive 'overnight' (will probably show up Monday) and I have to send the old one back.

The big thing they stressed to me was that if the old drive wasn't back to Apple within 15 days, they would be charging me $503 for the drive. :eek:

I had to give them a credit card number as well in case I don't send the old drive back.

We'll see how this latest development turns out.<hr></blockquote>

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So how did it turn out? Not well.

I called Apple today after I didn't get the DVD-ROM drive which was supposedly 'shipped out Friday'. Guess what? It wasn't shipped. In fact, even though they were 'in stock' then, they were 'out of stock' by the time I hung up.

So I got my call elevated and I told them in a pleasant but firm tone that I needed my PowerBook working and I needed it working yesterday.

I told them that I started classes today and that I already needed to install software to do my work and that spending any money for an external drive was out of the question (and it is considering I have to buy all of these books and software).

So they said they were going to do a 'search'. They were going to start tonight and look at all Apple retailers until they find me a DVD-ROM drive. If I don't hear from them by Thursday night, that means they haven't found one.

So if at 4:30 PM EST on Thursday, January 23, 2003 I have not received a call, I will call them and they will send me a new PowerBook.

I'm skeptical, of course, especially given the past history between me, Apple, and 'new PowerBooks'.

For those that don't know, I went for months without my Pismo back in 2000 waiting for a new computer as my old Pismo was 'beyond repair'. I was told that they did not have new PowerBook G3/500s to ship out but to be patient since if Apple shipped out a new laptop, I would get that instead.

The Titanium PowerBook G4s shipped and Apple then claimed they had no record of my case, having my computer, or any other promises. It was finally resolved when an Apple Executive (VP of AppleCare) who worked with my Dad got involved.

But if Apple doesn't find me a new drive by Thursday, I'll be getting a new PowerBook. The way it was described to me was 'a model as similar to yours as we can get that's in stock, but definitely a PowerBoook' (as in not an iBook).

Again, I'm skeptical and we'll see what happens. I have no idea why the last support guy I talked to lied to me other than the fact that he wanted me off the phone.

I've got my fingers crossed that this actually gets resolved soon.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    *fingers crossed*
  • Reply 3 of 111
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    man, they're shipping out new machines left and right for replacements it seems lately, if anyone deserves one, it's you.

let us know how it goes.

this could put an end to a few sigs that have been running for years though.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No offense, Fran, but you must have the absolute worst luck with Apple support. The only worse experiences I've heard of is this one guy who pops up at MacNN every so often. But in that case, it's so absurd that either everything really does explode in his face or he's just trolling.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Should I cancel my PiBook order?

I had to bring my iMac in once but I was luck to have the extended warranty and also brought it the campus store. New logic and analog board and boom working fine.

You know the keyboard died too and I forgot it was still under warranty. I should bring that in.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    If Fran had been any other person I would have said that you probably caused the problems somehow because noone meets so much resitance without contributing to it himself.

But this is so far out. You would think that they had "harrash this guy at any cost" written all over his case

If only we could put weight behind a huge complaint to Apple. Like "the undersigned is hereby cancelling our orders on our 12" and 17" powerbook unless you give Fran the 15" PB you promised him long tima ago right now. We simply don´t feel safe in dealing with a company that screw a customers over and over again like you have done with him"

Would the members of AI be able to do that?
  • Reply 7 of 111
    ha ha, when i've dealt with them they usually have that snooty attitude until they enter in my e-mail address at work. that's the one that all the departmental Macs get registered under. without a doubt they treat you differently if have large orders backing you up.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Fran, I really hope everything gets worked out this time.

*crossing my fingers too*
  • Reply 9 of 111
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Fran -

Apple SOOOO owes you a PB. I still remember your Titanium/Pismo debacle. Here's hoping for a new PB for Fran!

:cool:
  • Reply 10 of 111
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>ha ha, when i've dealt with them they usually have that snooty attitude until they enter in my e-mail address at work. that's the one that all the departmental Macs get registered under. without a doubt they treat you differently if have large orders backing you up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So Fran should give them murbot's email then?
  • Reply 11 of 111
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Fran, good luck !

*crossing my fingers too*
  • Reply 12 of 111
    Thanks guys.

No phone calls from Apple yesterday, we'll see what happens today.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    This is absolutely stomach turning, it's enough to make me cancel my order.
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Update: No word from Apple today. I have a feeling I'll be calling them tomorrow for the weekly runaround.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    bah, just verify your address for them to ship you a new TiBook.

• Reply 16 of 111
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Someone else in this forum has recently had some success after a protracted battle with Apple "service." You may want to check and compare notes. This is really disgusting, I don't even know you, and people have confessed worse crisis on these boards than the loss of a properly functional 'book, but somehow your tale just makes my stomach turn into awful little knots.

We feel for you Fran, we really do, I'd have burst an artery in my head by now.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    At least one thing can unite the hard core of AI
  • Reply 18 of 111
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Apple Support is terrible but their customer relations people are normally pretty good. After the screen of my 400 mzh G4 Powerbook broke twice and then the DVD drive and latch failed they agreed to send me a new 550 mzh Powerbook.

It seems that they have gone over the top in this case. How hard can it be to send a DVD drive?

edited for spelling.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: jante99 ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 111
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You'd be better off (9/10 times) taking it to an authorized service centre.

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 111
    I did take it to a service center and thery couldn't get the drive from Apple. I was told I'd have to talk to them directly again.