Mac sales decline in Q3 as customers await new models [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    It's pretty obvious to anyone that follows the Mac that this would happen. People are clamouring for new Macs; they won't pay the Apple premium for 3 or 4 year old hardware, and rightly so. Apple's taking the piss.

Everyone using Intel's chip delays as an excuse for Apple seems to think the CPU is the only silicon inside the Mac. There's plenty more, such as the GPU, Thunderbolt controller, RAM, southbridge, etc. The CPU doesn't have to be updated for other parts to get updates.

In any case there's absolutely no excuse for the Mac mini, there are suitable CPUs but Apple's just left it to die. Plus people making excuses for Apple's lack of updates being that Intel's chip designs aren't suitable for Apple's chassis seem to forget that other manufacturers make the same chips work in much the same physical chassis. And if Intel's designs aren't fitting in Apple's chassis, i.e. they can't make it Nmm thinner, maybe Apple needs to change their design instead, or better spin off the Mac division like they did Filemaker.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 22 of 68
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:
    ... according to new estimates from market research firm Gartner....

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    I admit I am in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it with the current design iMac. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    Those days with Apple are done. With each and every new Mac the "tinkering" goes away. It's the way of the world now and not just with Apple. 
    Regretfully you are probably right.
    Unless one is building their own machine, he / she is not probably right, they are right.  Most brand name device makers are going this way.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    I’m amazed at how long Apple delays implementing new chips these days. That’s said, im terribly happy with my quad core 13 inch. I hope it will keep me happy well into the eventual switch to ARM based macs. 
    Well the CPU in your 13” quad was announced in April, unknown when Intel shipped it in quantity; Apple shipped in July.

MBP has been updated every year since at least 2006. iMac has gotten updates every year since about then as well, with one single exception. Notebooks and iMac account for about 95% of all Mac sales.

Yes, Mac mini and Mac Pro are overdue for an update, Mac Pro in particular has been very badly handled from a product management perspective. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 24 of 68
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I see tech stocks are taking a hammering at the moment.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I need to start charging for my predictions. This thread filled up very quickly with exactly the comments a couple of us predicted. We even had one about switching to the PC dark side, phones and all. These comments are so hilariously easy to prognosticate it’s almost not worth the effort.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 68
    I'm contemplating another round of upgrades (ram/drives) to my fleet of SJ era macs... because I can...

For consideration:
    https://create.pro/blog/mac-pro-51-best-system-creative-professionals-2018-internal-expandability-unparalleled-workstation-customisation/

...and please don't ask me about the mandatory if opaque expense of the touchbar on macbook pros...
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 27 of 68
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Meanwhile, in the Apple boardroom.... 'See Tim, we were right that people just don't want Macs anymore.'
    elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 68
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
     wood1208 said:
    Often Apple's MAC update get screwed by unpredictable Intel's processor schedule. We know about 10nm delay.
    Looking forward October product announcement for Macbook to see if it indeed replaces 13" Function Keys Macbook Pro with decent spec that Apple so far decided not to upgrade along with touchbar version.
    I can't take anyone talking about nanometers seriously when they routinely misspell Mac.
    elijahgmacxpress
  • Reply 29 of 68

robintosh said:
    Mac Pro 2013 dead end design... still there. Mac mini 2014 is awesome just update internals! but still waiting... it's unacceptable that a company with some of the most cash and value in the world is unable deliver new computers or a wireless charger.
    Silly comment. Obviously the AirPower is a difficult product because 1) no one else has one, and 2) it's taking longer than planned.

Additionally, they have been delivering new computers. Just not the one you want. Life is hard that way.

• Reply 30 of 68

BigDann said:
    Apple needs to get back into serviceable systems! The current MacBook Pro's are just not serviceable! Can't replace the keyboard, battery or even the display without spending $500 on the parts alone!

The new systems are just not useable with noisy & failing keyboards & failing displays. Missing key elements real PRO's need like USB-A ports, SDXC & Ethernet. Then the real bugaboo! Missing MagSafe!

The new i9 system is DOA! As it just can't run beyond base clock because of lack of cooling. Thats independent of the firmware issue it had day one.

Pro's want a system that work effectively, not a bling system to impress. Apple went down the Bling path with Form. They need to get back to the design that serves the real PRO market Function.

Apple has the pieces to make this work! A variation of the older Unibody 15" & 17" models which are a bit larger than the ultra thin models Apple is selling now. Which offers the needed space for a better cooling system. Give it four USB-C ports and two USB-A ports. The back two (L&R) are dual function, being a MagSafe type of connector. as well A magnet plug is inserted so you have a flat connection for the breakaway MagSafe connector, yet it's a recessed USB-C port. Take the FaceID system in the Xs iPhone instead of the iSight camera and even offer a rear facing wide angle camera for group FaceTime meetings. Leverage the T2 secure enclave storage for the primary drive (128 or 256 GB) then offer two NVMe/PCIe x4 interfaces allowing 256, 515 GB, 1, 2 & 4 TB SSD drives in either discreet or RAID setup. Give it a narrow bezel 4K screen.

The older silent! Blister keyboard and use the smaller Touch Pad so the system has a bit more room for the battery.

Now Apple build it and I will buy it!
    Nah. Silly post. As a pro software dev, my MBP is my *portable*, so it doesn't need space wasted on stuff like built-in network and legacy ports. WiFi for my *portable* is just fine, and I can use newer cables or even an adapter for legacy ports if needed. I give no shits about user-serviceability since I'd just drop it off at the shop. Same with my car. 

The form & function are the best blend I've ever used. The problem is, you want a Dell. Go get one if those are the traits you value.
  • Reply 31 of 68

entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    I ahave to admit I am probably in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it And pay full price with the current design iMac with an outdated CPU. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    What date are you thinking, so we can mark our calendars? In fact, why wait at all? Switch now. It will be great, and you'll be happy again. Don't you want to be happy?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 32 of 68
    cgWerks said:
    Meanwhile, in the Apple boardroom.... 'See Tim, we were right that people just don't want Macs anymore.'
    Why would they think that, when Macs have had reliably better growth than the PC sector the past many years? You think they'd just all of a sudden ignore that based on this report on this quarter? What an odd conclusion to make. 
  • Reply 33 of 68
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I hit a sore spot. It’s all about margin - the latest Intel chips cost too much and bite into profits, if they ship a generation behind they save money and keep margins high. The loyal customers will continue to buy. But savvy tech buyers will look elsewhere, this strategy sacrifices market share for higher profit. 
  • Reply 34 of 68
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    What date are you thinking, so we can mark our calendars? In fact, why wait at all? Switch now. It will be great, and you'll be happy again. Don't you want to be happy?
    The alternative deletes my files, which makes me cranky, not happy. ;)

As I've said before, the grass isn't greener on the other side...
    but that doesn't mean I don't want the grass to stay green on this side.

StrangeDays said:
    Why would they think that, when Macs have had reliably better growth than the PC sector the past many years? You think they'd just all of a sudden ignore that based on this report on this quarter? What an odd conclusion to make. 
    You tell me. If I were them, I'd be pressing the accelerator down on that platform, just like I'm doing on the mobile side. I really have no clue why one of the richest companies on the planet can't seem to handle more than one product line. Which, leads to explanations that they actually don't want to make those other product lines to be the best they can be for some reason.

I mean, it's either incompetence, or there is some reason. I have a hard time believing they are that incompetent, so I'm trying to formulate other theories.
    elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 68
    replaced two Mac Minis and an old MacBook with PCs - couldn't wait any longer. will upgrade main iMac computer when I see if updated modular Mac comes out. if not, will stick with iMac, reluctantly - because if a drive fails, I can't afford to be without it for a week to get it replaced. sorry Apple, Pro should mean quick access to memory and drives at least.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lkrupp said:

One doesn't even need to estimate sales, one look at the product lineup would turn most people away.   You don't even need to be technically inclined, all you need to know is that Apple has products it hasn't updated in nearly 5 years.   Beyond that the products they have updated are hamstrung by Apples opinion of what the average user needs.

Then you have Apples ridiculously high prices to deal with.    The prices aren't right in part because they don't adjust the pricing after an item has been on the mark for 4 years and is effectively outdated.

Personally I'm hoping Apple has a good excuse!   The best possible excuse would be that they are about to implement an ARM based Mac.   An ARM based Mac, AT A REASONABLE PRICE, would likely get me back in the fold.    Right now I'm running an HP ENVY as my primary computer and I hate to say this but when combined with LInux it is in many ways a better machine at half the price.
    elijahg
  • Reply 37 of 68
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:

I ahave to admit I am probably in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it And pay full price with the current design iMac with an outdated CPU. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    Go Linux.   There is some adjustment and quirkiness to deal with but overall you will get faster hardware and decent performance without all of the issues with Windows or a hackintosh.  
  • Reply 38 of 68
    I see lots of excuses in this thread for Apple stupidity with respect to the Mac lineup.  The facts are that all of Apple desktop machines have upgrade avenues if Apple was willing to take them.    That includes the iMac, the Mac Mini, the Mac Pro and even some of the laptops.

As for serviceability the move to very high integration devices means that some things will never be an individual part again.   That is technology moving forward.    The problem is you don't need to make a product virtually un-serviceable because of that high integration.   Parts can be accessible it is simply a matter of design.    The iMac is a perfect example of design failure in that parts that should be accessible, without incurring a massive and expensive tear down, aren't.   Even the Mini could use an overhaul with an eye towards serviceability.   
    elijahg
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Fatman said:
    They also really milk their chassis designs, while others manufactures are updating every few months. 
    The chassis designs of the laptops are perfectly fine. I see little reason to change them for change sake like other manufacturers do.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    BigDann said:
    Apple needs to get back into serviceable systems! The current MacBook Pro's are just not serviceable! Can't replace the keyboard, battery or even the display without spending $500 on the parts alone!

The new systems are just not useable with noisy & failing keyboards & failing displays. Missing key elements real PRO's need like USB-A ports, SDXC & Ethernet. Then the real bugaboo! Missing MagSafe!

The new i9 system is DOA! As it just can't run beyond base clock because of lack of cooling. Thats independent of the firmware issue it had day one.

Pro's want a system that work effectively, not a bling system to impress. Apple went down the Bling path with Form. They need to get back to the design that serves the real PRO market Function.

Apple has the pieces to make this work! A variation of the older Unibody 15" & 17" models which are a bit larger than the ultra thin models Apple is selling now. Which offers the needed space for a better cooling system. Give it four USB-C ports and two USB-A ports. The back two (L&R) are dual function, being a MagSafe type of connector. as well A magnet plug is inserted so you have a flat connection for the breakaway MagSafe connector, yet it's a recessed USB-C port. Take the FaceID system in the Xs iPhone instead of the iSight camera and even offer a rear facing wide angle camera for group FaceTime meetings. Leverage the T2 secure enclave storage for the primary drive (128 or 256 GB) then offer two NVMe/PCIe x4 interfaces allowing 256, 515 GB, 1, 2 & 4 TB SSD drives in either discreet or RAID setup. Give it a narrow bezel 4K screen.

The older silent! Blister keyboard and use the smaller Touch Pad so the system has a bit more room for the battery.

Now Apple build it and I will buy it!
    People like you make me long for a DOWNVOTE button on this site, maybe even a BLOCK button too!!
    If you tap on BigDann’s user name in the quote, that’ll take you to his profile. You can add him to your ignore list from there.