Mac sales decline in Q3 as customers await new models [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    aylkaylk Posts: 52member
    ne1 said:
    That’s a great breakdown of market share, but I’d like to know Apple’s profit share of the PC market. I have not researched this, but based on their profit share of the smartphone market and their prices, I’m willing to bet it’s a much better ratio than any of the PC makers.
    That's precisely the problem, and the reason why they don't give a flying fck.
    edited October 11
  • Reply 62 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,577member
    Gruber doesn’t think there will be an event until after the Xr launches.
    And I think that makes total sense...why take the media attention away from the iPhone XR with a special media even right around order/shipping time. 
  • Reply 63 of 66
    elijahg said:
    Rayz2016 said:

entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:
    ... according to new estimates from market research firm Gartner....

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    I ahave to admit I am probably in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it And pay full price with the current design iMac with an outdated CPU. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    What date are you thinking, so we can mark our calendars? In fact, why wait at all? Switch now. It will be great, and you'll be happy again. Don't you want to be happy?
    When I read “this might really be it” in his post, I actually laughed out loud. 

Nothing gives a threat more weight than saying you might do it. 

People in this forum have been saying they will do it, and they’re, unfortunately, still here. So I don’t hold much hope for Mr Might here leaving the platform any time soon. 

The simple fact is that Apple hasn’t built a machine you like then you’re not their target customer. 

So rather than wasting bandwidth threatening to leave, you should just get on with it. 
    I realise a tech forum will be biased toward "pro" machines, but considering how many people here say Apple's lineup isn't suitable for them, and with just 3 or 4 people desperately trying to defend Apple, doesn't that make you think you and Apple's Mac "strategy" (haha) might actually be wrong? Apple isn't making Macs that people want, otherwise sales wouldn't have fallen. You'd be fine buying an almost 5 year old Mac mini for the same price it was released for? Yes? Then it's quite obvious you have your head buried in the sand and are blindly obsessive over Apple.
    There are a lot of people in this forum that would defend Apple, simply not against you and your lookalikes, because... you’re just boring. Of course Apple isn’t making Macs that people want, it never did. People never wanted a Mac. People never wanted an iPhone, iPad, Watch... either. Yet here they are in millions. Go back to your Blackberry why would you wait here for Apple makes the hardware keyboard iPhone you “want”?
  • Reply 64 of 66
    elijahg said:
    Rayz2016 said:

entropys said:
    macxpress said:

lkrupp said:
    ... according to new estimates from market research firm Gartner....

Well la dee da. According to estimates the iPhone X was a flop. According to estimates the Apple Watch was a non-starter. According to estimates Apple is on the verge of failure. But whatever, this will be fodder for the “Were’s the new Mac Mini” crowd. In the comments to come we will be treated to pontification and bloviation about Apple’s loyal customers, the ones who kept the company afloat, being abandoned with Apple’s deemphasis of Macs and how it will be the end of the company. Get the popcorn out because here it comes.
    Oh don't forget about these who supposedly will never buy a Mac again, or can't wait any longer so they're gonna go get a PC or create a hackintosh crowd. 
    I ahave to admit I am probably in that camp.
    My old iMac with the dodgy GPU has now been pulled apart five times to bake the GPU again. The last time I did it I must have done something wrong putting it back together and the CPU fan is going full speed. Too much trouble to open up again so waiting for a new iMac to come out. i have been in this situation for about eighteen months now. I would have replaced her but just can’t bring myself to do it And pay full price with the current design iMac with an outdated CPU. I can’t even begin to think how hard it would be to fix. It would be like the transition from my iMac G5 (designed to be easily diagnosed and fixable) to the first intel iMac ( an absolute dog of an internal design that made it hard to even replace the PRAM battery, just like the current design). 
    So this might really be it.  A transition to the dark side. I hope Apple releases a redesign that means it is a bit user upgradable and can fix little things like the PRAM battery. Otherwise I will have to think about a painful separation.  And divorce down the track. Once my computers switch, why not my phones?
    What date are you thinking, so we can mark our calendars? In fact, why wait at all? Switch now. It will be great, and you'll be happy again. Don't you want to be happy?
    When I read “this might really be it” in his post, I actually laughed out loud. 

Nothing gives a threat more weight than saying you might do it. 

People in this forum have been saying they will do it, and they’re, unfortunately, still here. So I don’t hold much hope for Mr Might here leaving the platform any time soon. 

The simple fact is that Apple hasn’t built a machine you like then you’re not their target customer. 

So rather than wasting bandwidth threatening to leave, you should just get on with it. 
    I realise a tech forum will be biased toward "pro" machines, but considering how many people here say Apple's lineup isn't suitable for them, and with just 3 or 4 people desperately trying to defend Apple, doesn't that make you think you and Apple's Mac "strategy" (haha) might actually be wrong? Apple isn't making Macs that people want, otherwise sales wouldn't have fallen. You'd be fine buying an almost 5 year old Mac mini for the same price it was released for? Yes? Then it's quite obvious you have your head buried in the sand and are blindly obsessive over Apple.
    There are a lot of people in this forum that would defend Apple, simply not against you and your lookalikes, because... you’re just boring. Of course Apple isn’t making Macs that people want, it never did. People never wanted a Mac. People never wanted an iPhone, iPad, Watch... either. Yet here they are in millions. Go back to your Blackberry why would you wait here for Apple makes the hardware keyboard iPhone you “want”?
    I think you'll find Macs are boring, hence falling sales. How do you dismiss the falling sales? iDevice sales are irrelevant, they aren't declining. Your last sentence is illegible. 
  • Reply 65 of 66
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,329member
    If the numbers prove to be accurate, maybe Mac sales are down not because consumers are waiting for new models, but because they've become so damned expensive.   I realize that Apple is never going to be a low-end supplier, but I've argued for some time now that salaries of decision-making executives at Apple are so high, they no longer have a clear perception of what "ordinary" people can afford.   And since Apple has designed the machines so that end-users can't replace the battery or upgrade storage or memory anymore, they expect people to buy machines more often, thereby substantially raising the cost of ownership.    $3200 for a MBP with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage?   Ridiculous.   $5000 for an iMacPro?   Absurd.   Especially for Chinese manufacturing.  

• Reply 66 of 66
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 625member
    zoetmb said:
    If the numbers prove to be accurate, maybe Mac sales are down not because consumers are waiting for new models, but because they've become so damned expensive.   I realize that Apple is never going to be a low-end supplier, but I've argued for some time now that salaries of decision-making executives at Apple are so high, they no longer have a clear perception of what "ordinary" people can afford.   And since Apple has designed the machines so that end-users can't replace the battery or upgrade storage or memory anymore, they expect people to buy machines more often, thereby substantially raising the cost of ownership.    $3200 for a MBP with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage?   Ridiculous.   $5000 for an iMacPro?   Absurd.   Especially for Chinese manufacturing.  
    Thats certainly a big part of the problem. A lot of my uni friends would like Apple gear, but it's just way too expensive now. Apple bumped the price of the 2015 MBP by £400 when they introduced the 2016 model blaming currency fluctuations, but after they stabilised did the price drop? Of course not.

Years ago in the Jobs era Macs were more expensive than PCs, but the total cost of ownership was less than a Windows PC (due to antivirus, Windows updates, third party programs, needing to get Windows fixed every 6 months etc) - plus you'd get current hardware. Now not only is the total cost of ownership of the Mac much more than a PC, Apple's also flogging outdated hardware. Windows has improved and updates and antivirus are now generally free, and it's more reliable than it used to be. Macs are of course much better quality than PCs, and macOS is a better OS than Windows. However, macOS isn't perceived to be an order of magnitude better than windows, and the quality of mid-range PCs has improved markedly. The Apple premium becomes less and less appealing as time goes on because for most people Windows 10 is good enough.

I agree with you regarding the salaries of Apple's top brass blinding them to an average person, plus with Cook being a bean counter he does seem to be riding on the trajectory that Jobs set. He doesn't seem aware that the higher and higher prices are damping the once almost cosmic growth; growth has stalled and it's almost all down to lack of value.