Hands on: Apple's iPhone XR brings color and value to the 2018 lineup

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 125
    ireland said:
    airnerd said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    At €879 for a 64 GB LCD iPhone, I'm going to say it does not bring value. What it does however it bring the price of iPhones higher than last year. Higher and higher. What Apple has actually done in the past two years is of benefit mostly to shareholders. And the spoiled kids of rich people.
    Good news! The iPhone 7 is what, $499? "Value" very much depends on who's making the assessment.
    Actually, that two year old 32 GB iPhone starts at €539 here. But I’m clearly talking about new iPhones continually increasing in price. And the reality is at a certain point value doesn’t depends on who’s asking. €50 toilet roll is €50 toilet roll, and a new LCD phone that starts at almost €900 starts at almost €900. Shareholders, apologists, people with a lot of money and Apple bloggers—very few other people defend these price increases. It’s telling that Apple execs are all multi-millionaires. I’m not denying Apple make good hardware, I’m just pointing an awareness to the reality of new iPhones continually increasing in price.
    Inflation is a thing.  You know gas, bread, milk, etc all cost more each year as well.
    Give me a fecking break ffs.

• Reply 122 of 125
    Madtiger said:
    Madtiger said:
    Madtiger said:
    I have a 4K smart TV that cost me about half what I paid for my first flat screen TV. Apple’s iPhone are more expensive because they can be. Apple knows most people aren’t buying the phone outright but paying over time. Adding $200 to the price of the phone doesn’t add that much to a monthly payment.
    Oh man that’s so boneheaded. You must not work with technology... A TV is way less complicated than a minuturized computer. Most TVs are the same commodity panels and little more, while iphones have tons of tech and new layers and things every year.
    So how is Apple able to sell a brand new iPad for $329? How were they able to sell new phones in the past without raising the price? How come the 2010 MacBook Air was better and cheaper than the 2008 model?  
    IPad $329 comes with some compromises...non-laminated display (less anti-reflection) and 2 years old processor.  And this is why iPad Pro is so much more expensive.
    What compromises did the 2010 MacBook Air have over the 2008 model? If a new retina MacBook is announced next week do you think it should be more expensive than the current model? Because some here seem to be arguing that when Apple introduces a new product it should be more expensive than the product it’s replacing.
    But then again, Apple kept the price exactly the same with the 2018 iPhone Xs vs. 2017 X...despite Xs having superior camera and chipset...and other smaller improvements.  So, how do you explain that?  
    I explain that the way Apple improved the iPhone with Retina display, Touch ID, 3D Touch and always improving SoC but the price not increasing. Of course that was back in the day when iPhone sales growth was still huge. 
    Well, why is Xs same price yet every other tech company (Oneplus, Samsung, etc) have increased their prices year over year?  
    Because the X was already more expensive than the competition?
    I don’t know...Pixel, Samsung, LG, etc. are all within $100 dollars of X last year...and yet, all of them increased their price with their replacement.
  • Reply 123 of 125
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Madtiger said:
    I have a 4K smart TV that cost me about half what I paid for my first flat screen TV. Apple’s iPhone are more expensive because they can be. Apple knows most people aren’t buying the phone outright but paying over time. Adding $200 to the price of the phone doesn’t add that much to a monthly payment.
    Oh man that’s so boneheaded. You must not work with technology... A TV is way less complicated than a minuturized computer. Most TVs are the same commodity panels and little more, while iphones have tons of tech and new layers and things every year.
    So how is Apple able to sell a brand new iPad for $329? How were they able to sell new phones in the past without raising the price? How come the 2010 MacBook Air was better and cheaper than the 2008 model?  
    IPad $329 comes with some compromises...non-laminated display (less anti-reflection) and 2 years old processor.  And this is why iPad Pro is so much more expensive.
    What compromises did the 2010 MacBook Air have over the 2008 model? If a new retina MacBook is announced next week do you think it should be more expensive than the current model? Because some here seem to be arguing that when Apple introduces a new product it should be more expensive than the product it’s replacing.
    As of right now, a MS Surface Laptop 2 with 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Core i5 quad-core CPU, and a 13.5" 201PPI PixelSense Display goes for $999 USD.  That is the base model.  That is the level of specs & price Apple should look at to be competitive.
    What is Microsoft attempting to compete with with that laptop? I’ve always thought Microsoft priced their hardware so as to not take much share from its OEMs. And to give the appearance of being a premium device. Who is the target with a $999 Apple laptop? Seems expensive for schools and students. Or are they supposed to use iPads?
    MS has always been clear, if you watch their product keynotes, that they compete with Apple's product lineup, be it iPad Pro or MBA / MBP.  As far as the target for a $999 Apple laptop, it's mostly Grade 11 / 12 / post-secondary students. Here's a great article from someone that works in deploying / maintaining IT infrastructure in an education setting:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/27/the-laptop-i-hope-apple-announces-at-upcoming-event/
    That's a good article.
    I think it can be summarized with:   "This Apple Mac product is good, BUT..."   and "That Apple Mac product is good, BUT...."

And this is not some finicky elitist saying "but...".    It is a knowledgeable IT pro raising serious concerns.

We know the Apple of yesterday would have done better.
    And we know that the Apple of today can do better.
    ... I am hoping that it will.   I believe that it will.
    elijahg
  • Reply 124 of 125
    Can't do the video man. The bros, Max and Vadim...amateur hour. Andrew is smart and just does voice-overs.

Let's get some people that speak clearly, absent of accent or disability?

I follow the writing of Mike, Dan...it's powerful and connected. 

I like this site, I've been a reader and follower for a few years...but dude, it can be wayyyy better.