Unicode Consortium finalizes 230 new emoji arriving on the iPhone in 'iOS 13'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

mattinoz said:

georgie01 said:
    Two ridiculous things:

1. That it takes an entire iOS release to add emojis.

2. That people have been encouraged to feel so victimised that we can no longer generalise and be content with it. ‘There isn’t a multi-skin coloured emoji with purple and green hair and 4 fingers on the left hand?! That’s discrimination and racism by white men!’
    II’m always annoyed when I’m forced to choose a skin color when using the thumbs-up emoji.

I use emojis to save time typing, and my efforts are sabotaged by politically correct.
    Yeah no. On iOS you only select the skin tone one time per glyph use. It’s PC to you, but not to the brown guy who wants to set it his own tone. 

It harms no one. Except snowflakes.
    It is sort of obnoxious that we need to choose a skin tone for every type where we can choose. I’d appreciate it if the very first time I had to choose I also had the option to set that as my preferred emoji skin tone. From then on my preference would be selected as soon as I used an emoji I hadn’t previously used. It would be a slight time-saver but would also improve my flow. I would still want the long press for other variations option. 
    The first time you use it goes in your recent used emoji. Keep using that section and only go right in the list if you need a different version.
    Yes, but when I use another emoji that has skin tone choices for the first time I have to choose again.

For example, if I want to send thumbs up emoji for the first time I have to set the skin tone. If I send it then immediately decide to send the thumbs down emoji, again for the first time, I have to choose skin tone again, and so on for every emoji that has skin tone options.  A “universal” setting would be nice. 
    Maybe. I’m just not seeing the terrible strain this vast effort is putting on anyone. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 22 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    MplsP said:
    Ok, so the lemur is cute, but honestly, do we really need 230 emojis? Being generous, I think I've used maybe 30 total, and 15 or 20 on a regular basis, and I can't say I've received many more from other people. When I scroll through the pages upon pages of emojis on my iPhone, I can't imagine ever using the vast majority of them.
    Do we need all the words in the dictionary? I don’t use more than a small subset of words on a regular basis, and I can’t say I’ve received many of them from other people. Why do we need all these words?!
    Well, perhaps you should increase your vocabulary? But for the slower posters on the forum...words are made up of letters, so the existence of such words does not require the addition of new letters. Many words are outdated and are dropped from dictionaries. New words are added as people create them. Emojis, on the other hand are not a language or an alphabet. It's simply a bunch of pictures originally used as a quicker way to communicate that started with a smiley face. then again, if you can't see that difference for yourself, I guess there's no point in explaining it.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    dysamoria said:

mattinoz said:

georgie01 said:
    Two ridiculous things:

1. That it takes an entire iOS release to add emojis.

2. That people have been encouraged to feel so victimised that we can no longer generalise and be content with it. ‘There isn’t a multi-skin coloured emoji with purple and green hair and 4 fingers on the left hand?! That’s discrimination and racism by white men!’
    II’m always annoyed when I’m forced to choose a skin color when using the thumbs-up emoji.

I use emojis to save time typing, and my efforts are sabotaged by politically correct.
    Yeah no. On iOS you only select the skin tone one time per glyph use. It’s PC to you, but not to the brown guy who wants to set it his own tone. 

It harms no one. Except snowflakes.
    It is sort of obnoxious that we need to choose a skin tone for every type where we can choose. I’d appreciate it if the very first time I had to choose I also had the option to set that as my preferred emoji skin tone. From then on my preference would be selected as soon as I used an emoji I hadn’t previously used. It would be a slight time-saver but would also improve my flow. I would still want the long press for other variations option. 
    The first time you use it goes in your recent used emoji. Keep using that section and only go right in the list if you need a different version.
    Yes, but when I use another emoji that has skin tone choices for the first time I have to choose again.

For example, if I want to send thumbs up emoji for the first time I have to set the skin tone. If I send it then immediately decide to send the thumbs down emoji, again for the first time, I have to choose skin tone again, and so on for every emoji that has skin tone options.  A “universal” setting would be nice. 
    Maybe. I’m just not seeing the terrible strain this vast effort is putting on anyone. 
    Hmmm, exaggerate much?

A quick count shows there are at least 150 emoji on the iOS keyboard where it’s possible to switch skin tone. Do you think it’s unreasonable to set a preferred skin tone to save some time? It’s not all that different than adding quick access to turn on/off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi via Control Center. Remember all those people complaining about what a burden it was to have to open Settings to access those controls?  I do. Were you able to see the terrible strain that vast effort was putting on anyone?

• Reply 24 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    MplsP said:
    Ok, so the lemur is cute, but honestly, do we really need 230 emojis? Being generous, I think I've used maybe 30 total, and 15 or 20 on a regular basis, and I can't say I've received many more from other people. When I scroll through the pages upon pages of emojis on my iPhone, I can't imagine ever using the vast majority of them.
    rcfa said:
    The emoji thing is a runaway train on fast track to becoming a wreck.
    It’s a solution in search of a problem, a sign of ridiculous linguistic impoverishment.
    Can anyone still meaningfully communicate facts and emotions? Or are we down to a five hundred word vocabulary accompanied by an endless number of basic emojis and their politically correct permutations of gender, skin color, head gear, and disabilities?

And where are the emojis for people with a bigger brain? Are they discriminated against?
    Gee, it's not like emojis are used by every type of person around the world or anything. It's called "inclusivity" and oh boy, does that trigger cisgendered straight white men like nobody's business.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 25 of 25
    dysamoria said:

The "family" section consists of four versions of people holding hands, including pairings of a woman and man, two women, two men, and two people.

Where are the three and four and more people families?  Where are the polyamory and polygamy related emojis?  It's blatant discrimination, I tell you.  Blatant!

/s
    As a polyamorous person with a number of poly friends and companions, I am amused by this :-D
    Same boat. Though where I live, few, including myself, admit it even when it's true. :)  Not interested in debating with (mostly religious) bigots on the subject.  :s