Cook promises shareholders Apple is 'planting seeds' and 'rolling the dice' on future prod...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While I do have confidence in Apple and its future, what worries me most about them is Cook's unfailing, unflinching complete optimism in their future.   Steve (and other wise leaders) knew that their organization was only as good as their next product and that they were not immune to failure.  Rather, their humility, honesty and knowledge that they were fallible kept them focused on both excellence and success.

No Tim, I would prefer hope to optimism. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 42 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ivanh said:
    Mind blowing? What about an AI Codingbot? So, everyone can code without writing a line in SWIFT? Is it what Swift 5.0 going to do?
    thats a minor feature bump introduced in 5.2
  • Reply 43 of 92
    On ANOTHER topic mentioned, anybody have any ideas about what Federighi might be referring to regarding the USB-C port on the Pro?
    I suppose there will be one or many USB-C ports on the Pro. Like the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Well, I hope all the effort they're putting into AR comes to fruition in a worthwhile product. For all the talk about how great it is the experience on iPhone/iPad so far is pretty lackluster. Sure, the Measure app is cool and works fairly well, but I hope there's more to AR than a virtual measuring tape. 

I've been saying this since ARKit rolled out in iOS 11, most of what is available or has been teased during keynotes is kinda useless or something that could just be done in 3D with no AR required (like the really cool but also kinda silly model of Apple Park at the visitor's center. It's a good demonstration of the tech but why can't I just download an app at home and get a virtual tour in 3D the same way? I don't see the reason I have to walk around a physical model to see an overlay on my phone).

Also, I've noticed that all the comments of "wait for developers to figure this out" have pretty much disappeared. Which I find a little funny as, way back in 2017, when I made similar comments I was told "not to crap on it" before we saw what developers will do. It's coming up on two years...
    Fact is, there may not be compelling AR apps for a small screen you hold out in front of you.  It’s been speculated, and I find it compelling speculation, that ARKit on iOS is merely the laying of groundwork for AR glasses.  The trouble is, even after 40 years of shrinking technology to fit in smaller forms, it’s still an incredible thing to imagine the needed smarts and power added to the frames of a normal pair of glasses, even considering much of the processing and rendering will likely be handled by a paired iPhone.  Look to the Apple Watch, AirPods and Pencil to see the progression of miniaturization and shared-with-paired-iPhone processing that will lead to Apple iWear (you heard it here first).
    edited March 2019 cgWerkstmaycornchipcornchip
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Well, I hope all the effort they're putting into AR comes to fruition in a worthwhile product. For all the talk about how great it is the experience on iPhone/iPad so far is pretty lackluster. Sure, the Measure app is cool and works fairly well, but I hope there's more to AR than a virtual measuring tape. 

I've been saying this since ARKit rolled out in iOS 11, most of what is available or has been teased during keynotes is kinda useless or something that could just be done in 3D with no AR required (like the really cool but also kinda silly model of Apple Park at the visitor's center. It's a good demonstration of the tech but why can't I just download an app at home and get a virtual tour in 3D the same way? I don't see the reason I have to walk around a physical model to see an overlay on my phone).

Also, I've noticed that all the comments of "wait for developers to figure this out" have pretty much disappeared. Which I find a little funny as, way back in 2017, when I made similar comments I was told "not to crap on it" before we saw what developers will do. It's coming up on two years...
    Fact is, there may not be compelling AR apps for a small screen you hold out in front of you.  It’s been speculated, and I find it compelling speculation, that ARKit on iOS is merely the laying of groundwork for AR glasses.  The trouble is, even after 40 years of shrinking technology to fit in smaller forms, it’s still an incredible thing to imagine the needed smarts and power added to the frames of a normal pair of glasses, even considering much of the processing and rendering will likely be handled by a paired iPhone.  Look to the Apple Watch, AirPods and Pencil to see the progression of miniaturization and shared-with-paired-iPhone processing that will lead to Apple iWear (you heard it here first).
    Thats definitely the case. All those demos where they hold the iPad and play a game look terribly uncomfortable and despite Apple promoting apps and games that used AR a few releases ago, they didn't really catch on. Why? Whats the point in holding an iPhone or iPad up to show something on a flat surface - the measurement app aside? Might as well just play the game. I downloaded a racing car simulator which could work in AR, if you held the iPad over the kitchen table the track would appear on the kitchen table, and the cars would race on the surface. Cool for 10 minutes until it became unfordable.  I also tried a furniture app, that made more sense but I didn't find it too convincing either. 

Its awkward. Beyond that though I worry thats theres nothing much but gimmicky uses for AR in glasses or anything else really. Glasses could be useful for other kinds of information, like heart rate as you workout. though. I suppose given privacy concerns we won't ever be able to facial recognise everybody as we walk the streets. 
    edited March 2019 cgWerksrandominternetperson
  • Reply 46 of 92
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    While I do have confidence in Apple and its future, what worries me most about them is Cook's unfailing, unflinching complete optimism in their future.   Steve (and other wise leaders) knew that their organization was only as good as their next product and that they were not immune to failure.  Rather, their humility, honesty and knowledge that they were fallible kept them focused on both excellence and success.

With the cash, and cash flow, at Apple’s disposal, the supply chain now well-balanced after a decade of rapid expansion, and a stable design and engineering team laying down one after another generation of CPU, GPU, and other in-house silicon, the company is firmly in control of its destiny.  

There’s an easy to conceive roadmap that cuts through several industries ripe for disruption or currently in the early stages of being disrupted, and I can think of no company better positioned to take advantage.  

Look what Apple’s Smartwatch did to the mechanical watch industry.  If you can’t see the writing on that wall, wait ten years; it’ll be a nostalgic historical bookmark in the making by then.  Samsung Gear didn’t do that, nor did Fitbit.  It was Apple’s entry that set the wheels of fate in motion.  

See iPod, see iPhone, see also iPad, the list goes on.  Apple has put to shame, and put to sleep, competitors and legacy technologies that none of its competition dared to discard.  Floppy diskettes, CD-ROMS, keypads on phones, the recently lamented headphone jack.  Apple doesn’t need to hope.  Tim Cook and the entire team of Apple employees have every reason to be confident in the company’s future prospects.  
    RonnnieOlkrupptmayfastasleeprandominternetpersonbakedbananascornchip
  • Reply 47 of 92
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Cook's leadership in new innovative products is questionable. His relationship with Jobs worked because Jobs was the visionary and Cook did the logistics.
    I have little faith in his leadership of a corporate vision, especially after the hype he built behind the "Hello Again" keynote only to introduce a silly Touch Bar keyboard.

Expectations are low...
    True innovation should come from within Apple, not Tim Cook. Steve Jobs was unique and I don't think it matters who was CEO after Steve Jobs, there will never be another Steve Jobs because Steve was an unconventional CEO. He did what most CEO's almost never do. If you ever thought for one second that Tim Cook was supposed to be the next Steve Jobs then you're sorely mistaken. Its Apple's job as an entire company to develop/release the next best thing. A company is a team of hopefully talented people, not just a CEO that says okay make this and make this exactly this way because that's the way I want it. 

And STILL to this day, I have yet to have this question answered, if Tim were to be fired as CEO of Apple, who is a better replacement? Nobody can ever answer this question. It always just gets ignored. So basically, people want to bitch about Tim, but they can't tell anyone who would be better and saying anyone would be better than Tim Cook isn't an answer because you know damn well it isn't true. 
    edited March 2019 lkruppStrangeDayscaladaniantmayGeorgeBMac80s_Apple_Guyfastasleepapplesnorangesrandominternetpersonbakedbananas
  • Reply 48 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

What evidence do you offer that Cook isn’t aware that they are not immune to failure?

Jobs had more humility than Cook? Okaaay....
    Solifastasleeprandominternetpersonbakedbananascornchip
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Promising to "Blow You Away," Cook Unveils Controversial Apple-branded Ordnance
    SpamSandwichcgWerks
  • Reply 50 of 92
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    entropys said:

Exciting new products in the pipeline is well and good, but how about just keep existing products up to date? ZDnet had one of those annoying slideshows at the moment of Apple do not buys which explains the current state, unfortunately.

First item on this list shows a picture of the iPad 10.5 and says that the last iPad update was March 2018. iPad 10.5 is 2 years old and they are recommending not to buy? Is it a no buy because it’s been a year and a new model is imminent, or is it a knock against the product ? 

Explain how the iPad isn’t up to date ? Do we now want a 6 month cycle for new releases ? It’s one year on 03/27.

What the heck is your expectation here ? How exactly does this show the current state as you put it, what is the negative ?  Why would you trust ZDnet to tell you how to spend your money when they are too lazy to even use a picture of the current product they are saying not to buy....hahaha my goodness ! 
    tmaybakedbananas
  • Reply 51 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    ireland said:
    We can no longer even tell if our computer is charging without opening the lid. Innovation!!
    This is one the most annoying features of my new MBP. Utterly mediocre POS compared to its predecessor. I am sorry I switched to the new one.

Apple increasingly seems to be driven by cheapness as a corporate strategy.
    cgWerksireland80s_Apple_Guydesignrmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    Although some might say that the illuminated logo, battery LEDs, and pulsating (instead of blinking) status lights are not strictly necessary, they form part of the 'experience' as a whole and are elegant touches. Instead of gradually dropping these aspects (the pulsating status indicator is hanging on), they should keep them and remedy long standing quirks like the pointed edges on the screen opening indent.
    asdasdcgWerksdesignr
  • Reply 53 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Nah, just buy Stark Industries to accomplish that goal. Make Tony VP of Weaponology. He’s a visionary too you know.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 54 of 92
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    jcs2305 said:
    entropys said:

Exciting new products in the pipeline is well and good, but how about just keep existing products up to date? ZDnet had one of those annoying slideshows at the moment of Apple do not buys which explains the current state, unfortunately.

First item on this list shows a picture of the iPad 10.5 and says that the last iPad update was March 2018. iPad 10.5 is 2 years old and they are recommending not to buy? Is it a no buy because it’s been a year and a new model is imminent, or is it a knock against the product ? 

Explain how the iPad isn’t up to date ? Do we now want a 6 month cycle for new releases ? It’s one year on 03/27.

What the heck is your expectation here ? How exactly does this show the current state as you put it, what is the negative ?  Why would you trust ZDnet to tell you how to spend your money when they are too lazy to even use a picture of the current product they are saying not to buy....hahaha my goodness ! 
    Its do not buy for iPad because a new one is supposedly imminent.  Clearly their editor can’t tell the difference between an iPad and an iPad Pro. Read the text. Not the case with the others. The iPad is not the problem. The iPad mini state is shameful. That it took so long to release the Mac mini and MBA shows the priority of Apple is elsewhere, and even then, the MBA is no longer the iconic device it once was. Its soul has been ripped out. It’s now 635 days since the last iMac release and you would have to be mad to lay down RRP for one.
    the point is it is a long list of outdated products selling at new prices. The pipeline is chock full, which might be exciting to mr Cook, but to us not so much. Open the iSpigot, please!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 55 of 92
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Unfortunately, he has said pretty much the same thing every year since he took the reins.
    If that future is AR and AI-cars, then that is certainly 'rolling the dice' and they want to look back at similar dice rolls like 3D TVs all the rage not too many years back.

ihatescreennames said:
    ... I've been saying this since ARKit rolled out in iOS 11, most of what is available or has been teased during keynotes is kinda useless or something that could just be done in 3D with no AR required ...
    Yeah, I've felt much the same. I think there are some good future applications (ex: lets say you could stand in front of the engine bay on your car, and an AR app would guide you through a procedure, highlighting the bolts, parts, etc. you need to remove, and then helping you re-assemble while recognizing the parts laying on the ground, etc.). But, we're a way off of that and most of the current stuff is trivial and hype. And, even when we have stuff like the car-engine example, I don't think it will be widely used all the time. (ie: people walking down the street with AR glasses... at least I HOPE NOT!)

bloggerblog said:
    I am speculating that Apple is holding back on major redesigns for the ARM Macs. Here's for hoping Jony Ive still got it.
    Do you think they are that close? But even so, not sure what that has to do with Ive. Just because you switch to a new 'CPU' doesn't mean the products themselves need radical redesigns. That (given examples like the MBP) is more what gets them into trouble.

Investors care about their dividends - not about innovation.
    Investors care about innovation. But, it seems to much of the Markets are now about speculation, and things that appear innovative spur speculation. In other words, it isn't so much about how Apple is actually doing, but about how they might do in the future (ie: get rich quick day-trading). And, that's the danger of being a market-driven operation instead of a true tech company. Steve operated it more like a true tech company. (He didn't seem to care as much about what Wall Street thought, or all the industry tech pundits, etc. as Tim seems to.)

AppleExposed said:
    Apple released 2 of the biggest products in tech history in the past few years. One of them being Apples 2nd biggest product ever.
    Did I miss something?

asdasd said:
    There’s a story that Jobs was unhappy with the prototype iPod’s size and when an engineer said there was no more room he dropped it into a bowl of water, saw some bubbles, and said “there’s your room”. Cook doesn’t do that. 

Of course when he was too unreasonable they managed to change his mind. 

Not that he was always right even when they shipped something. But he has that unreasonable trait which expected the impossible - and in retrospect iPhone 1 was impossible. 
    That, and the ability to say no to distractions... which most any good entrepreneur will tell you is a key trait to success. There are a bazillion 'shiny objects' Apple could be chasing (and seem to be), but I think many of us would like to see more focus on the important stuff (like current products, customer experience). Yes, Apple has the money to chase a lot of dead-ends, but if those dead-ends make them take their eye off the ball too much, it will cause lots of problems. This has to be a both/and, not either/or. If they can't do that, then stick to the basics.
    asdasdcornchip
  • Reply 56 of 92
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    lkrupp said:
    Nah, just buy Stark Industries to accomplish that goal. Make Tony VP of Weaponology. He’s a visionary too you know.
    The iWarMachine.
    edited March 2019 king editor the grate
  • Reply 57 of 92
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    entropys said:
    Great Tim, where is my next iMac?
    ...or any Mac mobile with a KB that doesn't suck....  ...the innovation here would be to return to a problem that was solved long ago.

And hearing about all glass keyboards doesn't give me hope my fingers will know where to go, even if it's quiet, doesn't have to be pounded on and is durable.....

Apple goes too far in thinking they can eternally tell us what we need, when it's not and also not what we want.....
  • Reply 58 of 92
    StrangeDays said:
    Do you likewise complain about Samsung, Amazon, and basically every single CEO? Jobs was unique in that he was a product manager, probably more so than an actual CEO, as he didnt do much the typical CEO job description and left that to Cook and others. CEOs are rarely "product visionaries". There's absolutely nothing troubling, concerning, yada yada about Cook being a normal CEO. He happens to be one of the greatest ones in modern history.
    I don't really follow those companies. And, I don't want Apple to be a normal tech company. They didn't get to where they are by being one. And, while they now have so much cash it would be hard to fail, they'll eventually pull it off if they make too many bad decisions.

entropys said:
    Great Tim, where is my next iMac?
    Wait, I thought the chief whine was "Yeah but where's the new Mac mini!" lol...folks will just keep rotating it based on what's not out yet
    Isn't the complaint that all the product lines should be able to get something like an annual refresh so you're buying current tech and keeping up with the competition?

ivanh said:
    Mind blowing? What about an AI Codingbot? So, everyone can code without writing a line in SWIFT? Is it what Swift 5.0 going to do?
    No doubt!!! If there were anything to this AI-baloney, we certainly shouldn't be pushing people to learn coding. LOL

Apple is the only tech brand that can be trusted, quietly waiting to be surprised...
    At the moment, kinda sorta. But if you're ultimately placing your trust there, I think your surprise might end up being rather disappointing.

avon b7 said:
    AppleExposed said:
    You're whining about a product you're not going to buy. I know it.
    You can't possibly know it and you also avoid tackling the point.

Years waiting for a Mini update and over those years, not a single price adjustment.
    Yeah, and that's what they said about me, too. '18 Mac mini i7 sitting on my desk with a Blackmagic eGPU.

It's funny how so many fan-boys hang around these forums complaining about those of us who complain about Apple, when those of us legitimately doing so are probably the biggest long-time Apple true fans. I want to see them do well, not just cheer them on (when I think they are screwing up).

ireland said:
    ... Thinness, unreliabile keyboards and needing dongles for many things is not innovation that helps me, the user. ...
    Yep, that's the point people like Andy Ihnatko, Marco Arment, etc. (as well as so many here) have been making. It doesn't matter how 'innovative' it is if it isn't useful for a lot of the user-base. Super-slim keyboards, or even virtual ones (or foldable phones) are cool as heck from a technological innovation geek kind of perspective, but don't help much if you're a journalist, programmer, student, or someone trying to get real work done.

irelandanantksundaramavon b780s_Apple_Guycanukstorm
  • Reply 59 of 92
    radarthekat said:
    Well, and the bigger question might be that even if we could, should? As someone who has spent my life following tech, I've been amazed at the rapid advancement, and yes, miniaturization. But, just as we're starting to learn how the 'always on, always connected' nature of social media and cell phones is damaging to us, imagine what AR glasses would do? I think there are some good vertical applications, but overall, I don't think we should want to go there.

StrangeDays said:
    Jobs had more humility than Cook? Okaaay....
    Actually... yeah, I think I'd argue he was. Tim appears more humble in outward expression, but I think Steve was actually more self-aware and thoughtful.
    anantksundaramGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 60 of 92
    j1334j1334 Posts: 5member
    I’d be blown away by an iMac Pro without a screen. Getting ready to “roll the dice” on a PC workstation :(