Apple Card offers simplified and secure Goldman Sachs-backed credit card with daily reward...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 279
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    1) It's about time someone stepped up to offer a financial incentive to using Apple Pay.

2) That card looks great and I'm glad there is no signature on it. I never understood why that was ever a thing, like some minimum wage retail employee can gauge whether my sig was forged or wether I was just lazy in signing.
    You’re such an elitist. Some of the best and most intelligent people start out as a “minimum wage retail employee”. Stop acting like you’re better than everyone all the time. 
    And these people are handwriting experts? 🤦‍♂️
    I’m not saying what you’re point is about the handwriting, I agree with that, it was the way you implied that low wage people are not worth anything. It’s the way you worded it I was getting at. 
    I implied that they aren't trained to understand handwriting patterns. This isn't just retail employees or minimum wage employees, but those are two of the most common employees that check signatures because they're told to by their managers. Why you think that I'm calling them stupid or worthless is your issue.
    I gave you a like on that one. I generally agree. Some people read too much into what people say.

but, I have to say that in my experience with my own company, and from what credit card companies told me when I asked them when installing their terminals, checking signatures isn’t too difficult when really only looking for obvious differences. So it’s a bit of both. And interestingly enough, it’s much easier when the writing is upside down, because then the person isn’t actually reading the signature, but looking at the form of it.
    roundaboutnowradarthekat
  • Reply 42 of 279
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mike1 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This looks great. My Apple ID is tied to external credit card, so I'm guessing somehow the Apple Card will need to be tied to a bank account. I'm sure it will be obvious on signup.

I'm kinda curious to see how this will work in a family share. Can I give a family member my card to use, then the bill comes to me as well? Again, likely obvious in the details.

Really cool.
    My guess is that you’ll be able to add the card to any number of devices.

My question is how can the physical card be utilized for online payments that require the CVV (that doesn’t also offer Apple Pay as an option).
    During the presentation, she said that the info that is not printed on the card would be available in Wallet. You would also need an expiration date in addition to the CVV.

Curious too as to whether there can be multiple users, each with the card in their Wallet.
    Like a password manager, that has to be a lot more secure than having it printed. I wonder if putting the Wallet app behind Touch/Face ID will be an option by the time this launches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 279
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:
    Standard isn’t always best when many cards have better rewards than 2%. Also, my standard purchases are extremely low compared to other categories. There’s practically nowhere that I purchase things that I can’t get at least 3% back and up to 5% on most things. 

Depends on how one defines "best", doesn't it? The Amazon Prime Store Card, for example, gives you 5% back... with a 28.24% annual APR.

Apple committed to a low (albeit unspecified) APR, with no fees, no late charges, and no penalties. Not to mention the not-so-minor fact that you get your rewards back daily as Apple Cash. Not at the end of the month, not when you redeem them. Daily.

Then there's the secure unique randomized card number per transaction. No number or signature to steal on the physical card. No tracking of purchases. No sales of transaction data.

I don't know about you, but there's a ton of value in privacy and security.
    Fees and APRs don’t matter if you pay your balance in full. 
    You realize that being able to pay off your cards every month isn’t the norm, right?
    It is very normal for those of us who are mature with our money and only buy what we can afford. Look up Dave Ramsey. If being in debt is normal, I'm very happy being abnormal.
    designrstompyuraharasteven n.elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 279
    My question involves that card itself. Apple said that it was for when in an establishment that didn’t (yet) accept Apple Pay. But, with nothing on the card other than the chip, we’re (see, I already committed to getting this) going to have a problem for all of those places that are tardy enough to have not yet gotten chip readers. And despite the deadline having passed last year, I think, I still encounter places, mostly small, that can’t use a chip card.

well, still carrying other cards would be wise for a time.
  • Reply 45 of 279
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:
    Standard isn’t always best when many cards have better rewards than 2%. Also, my standard purchases are extremely low compared to other categories. There’s practically nowhere that I purchase things that I can’t get at least 3% back and up to 5% on most things. 

Depends on how one defines "best", doesn't it? The Amazon Prime Store Card, for example, gives you 5% back... with a 28.24% annual APR.

Apple committed to a low (albeit unspecified) APR, with no fees, no late charges, and no penalties. Not to mention the not-so-minor fact that you get your rewards back daily as Apple Cash. Not at the end of the month, not when you redeem them. Daily.

Then there's the secure unique randomized card number per transaction. No number or signature to steal on the physical card. No tracking of purchases. No sales of transaction data.

You realize that being able to pay off your cards every month isn’t the norm, right?
    For our Amex card it is. There are lots of people using that. I would imagine that most idevice users have one.
  • Reply 46 of 279
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

If you think the “norm” is being stupid then we have a problem.  By the way I learned this the hardway and have drastically changed my use of a credit card.    At this point I try to keep all card purchases beyond an emergency  at a level easily payable every month.   The average person can literally save themselves hundreds of dollars a year by doing so.  

Frankly it wouldnt hurt for our educational system teach students why being conservative in your use of money is so important.  
    designrelijahgnetmageCarnagelostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 279
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Will this card have warranty doubling? I won’t buy any electronics without a card with that feature. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 48 of 279
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    6502 said:
    hmlongco said:

What am I going to do with that extra $1 a day, so many decisions to make.
    At the end of the year, that’s a new Apple Watch. Just terrible!
    StrangeDaysronnspock1234netmagebeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 279
    6502 said:
    hmlongco said:

Great, I'll put that $1 in my piggy bank everyday and at the end of the year, I'll treat myself to an apple watch I'll never use. My point was sirlance99 was so excited that he'll get his rewards daily and not monthly, like it matters.
  • Reply 50 of 279
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Soli said:
    1) It's about time someone stepped up to offer a financial incentive to using Apple Pay.

2) That card looks great and I'm glad there is no signature on it. I never understood why that was ever a thing, like some minimum wage retail employee can gauge whether my sig was forged or wether I was just lazy in signing.
    You’re such an elitist. Some of the best and most intelligent people start out as a “minimum wage retail employee”. Stop acting like you’re better than everyone all the time. 
    You're insane, he never said anything about being better. The point remains -- minimal wage retail employees are not signature forensics experts.
    Solifastasleepuraharasteven n.elijahgpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 279
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

If you think the “norm” is being stupid then we have a problem.  By the way I learned this the hardway and have drastically changed my use of a credit card.    At this point I try to keep all card purchases beyond an emergency  at a level easily payable every month.   The average person can literally save themselves hundreds of dollars a year by doing so.  

Frankly it wouldnt hurt for our educational system teach students why being conservative in your use of money is so important.  
    I don’t think unexpected payments and hard times indicates that one is “being stupid.”

Let’s say you’re a college student and you need books for the semester. Those can be a vary large upfront payment that might not be covered by tuition assistance. Would it be stupid for the student not not take her classes that semester because she’ll have to pay off her books over a few months?
    ronnanomenetmage
  • Reply 52 of 279
    This is by far the most interesting news of the day. This is a very compelling offer that a lot of people will be turned on by, myself included.

I suspect the trolls/haters for this will come in the form of AMEX customers who think they have the best credit card in the world, and their travel insurance somehow supersedes all of the other good going on here with Apple Card.
    ronnrandominternetpersonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 279
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

Whether you believe it's stupid or not is completely irrelevant. Most people cannot pay off their cc every single month, and use it to get by when they need to. It's not even a matter of intelligence, I assure you.
    ronnrandominternetpersonanantksundaramHenryDJPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 279
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    hmlongco said:

Great, I'll put that $1 in my piggy bank everyday and at the end of the year, I'll treat myself to an apple watch I'll never use. My point was sirlance99 was so excited that he'll get his rewards daily and not monthly, like it matters.
    Not using your Apple Watch is a deficiency on your end.
    ronnnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 279
    Soli said:
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

I don’t think unexpected payments and hard times indicates that one is “being stupid.”

Let’s say you’re a college student and you need books for the semester. Those can be a vary large upfront payment that might not be covered by tuition assistance. Would it be stupid for the student not not take her classes that semester because she’ll have to pay off her books over a few months?
    Maybe kids shouldn't be going to colleges they can't afford?
    designruraharacyberzombie
  • Reply 56 of 279
    6502 said:
    6502 said:
    hmlongco said:

Not using your Apple Watch is a deficiency on your end.
    I don't own one, so it is not a deficiency on my end. If I was gifted one, I would probably never use it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 279
    robbyx said:
    Of all the announcements today, this is perhaps the most interesting.  At first I rolled my eyes but, as the presentation continued, it became clear that Apple has genuinely added value to the credit card experience.  That said, I get 3.6% back on every purchase with no limits or category restrictions, so Apple's rewards aren't as good as what I already have.  I love the simplified statement and clear merchant identification, though.  I wonder how long it will be until we see a full-blown financial management app baked into iOS and macOS.
    I highly doubt your rewards are as good as you claim they are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 279
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

Whether you believe it's stupid or not is completely irrelevant. Most people cannot pay off their cc every single month, and use it to get by when they need to. It's not even a matter of intelligence, I assure you.
    Maybe you shouldn't buy what you can't afford then. And, I doubt it's most people.
    designravon b7uraharaelijahg
  • Reply 59 of 279
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    robbyx said:
    Of all the announcements today, this is perhaps the most interesting.  At first I rolled my eyes but, as the presentation continued, it became clear that Apple has genuinely added value to the credit card experience.  That said, I get 3.6% back on every purchase with no limits or category restrictions, so Apple's rewards aren't as good as what I already have.  I love the simplified statement and clear merchant identification, though.  I wonder how long it will be until we see a full-blown financial management app baked into iOS and macOS.
    I highly doubt your rewards are as good as you claim they are.
    Must be paying annual fees.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 279
    6502 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

Maybe you shouldn't buy what you can't afford then. And, I doubt it's most people.
    So you would never have a mortgage for a home? Do you really think that most people pay for homes in cash up front?
    StrangeDaysanomeHenryDJPnetmage