Teenage shaving queries used to promote Safari privacy in latest iPhone privacy ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
Apple is continuing its "Privacy. That's iPhone" marketing campaign by publishing a new video to its YouTube channel, highlighting the anti-tracking measures of Safari to prevent advertisers from knowing what users are searching for online.

The latest ad, titled "The Answer," focuses on one teenager in a bathroom looking at his mustache into a mirror. Browsing on an iPhone XR, his internal monolog muses "All these websites say it's normal to start shaving at age 15," suggesting the kind of thing that internet users may not want to share with others.

The teenager then places the iPhone XR down on a towel in a cut-away shot, to the background sound of an electric trimmer.

On-screen text in the ad states "Safari limits sites from tracking you across the web. Because what you browse should be your business. Privacy. That's iPhone." The last section of the ad spot is the Apple logo with a padlock loop closing and snapping shut.

Below the video, the description includes a link to the Apple Privacy minisite, which goes into detail about Apple's position on privacy and security, and how its ecosystem is built with those policies in mind.

The video carries on from one released on March 14, which jabs at steps people take in day-to-day life to protect their privacy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What the hell? This is a creepy. I think Apple’s making a mistake here.
    gatorguydesignrDead_Pool
  • Reply 2 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Yet that kid Googled the question which went through his ISP’s DNS servers, so he’s fucked.  

What if Apple built its own always-on VPN that anonymized every user on every device? 
    LatkocornchipAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yet that kid Googled the question which went through his ISP’s DNS servers, so he’s fucked.  

What if Apple built its own always-on VPN that anonymized every user on every device? 
    Oddly the company "we" love to hate here also offers a VPN of their own, isn't tied to an account or phone number, uses no other identifiers either, isn't stored, and encrypted in a way that cannot be read by that company, anonymized even to themselves. Who knew?
  • Reply 4 of 15
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    Great. You couldn't pay me to use Google's services. My guess is they use their DNS and fingerprint you, even if it's not tied to your account directly by "your Google account or phone number". 
    lostkiwiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    Great. You couldn't pay me to use Google's services. My guess is they use their DNS and fingerprint you, even if it's not tied to your account directly by "your Google account or phone number". 
    Apparently not. Google claims it's completely anonymized, always on and 100% encrypted with no personal identifiers at all including fingerprinting, but what ever.
    I wasn't aware you disliked Google so much that you'd have no interest in even knowing about it. Fair enough of course. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Apparently not. Google claims it's completely anonymized, always on and 100% encrypted with no personal identifiers at all including fingerprinting, but what ever.
    I wasn't aware you disliked Google so much that you'd have no interest in even knowing about it. Fair enough of course. 
    I already know about it. I don't trust Google with anything really, much less to be my mobile provider. Failing that, I already very much dislike pretty much every web and software experience I have with them over the past many years. They're neck and neck with Microsoft in irritating user experiences to me. I'm not just a blind hater, I've used the products and strongly dislike nearly all of them. Not sure what else to tell you.
    docno42lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    What the hell? This is a creepy. I think Apple’s making a mistake here.
    What? I don’t see anything creepy. Do tell.
    macguiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    I already know about it. I don't trust Google with anything really, much less to be my mobile provider. Failing that, I already very much dislike pretty much every web and software experience I have with them over the past many years. They're neck and neck with Microsoft in irritating user experiences to me. I'm not just a blind hater, I've used the products and strongly dislike nearly all of them. Not sure what else to tell you.
    You have absolutely valid reasons not to be interested in non-Apple services then. Of course experience with them matters.

My original point is what you suggest can be done. Google created their own cell service for their line of Pixel phones (and now more broadly available outside of Pixels), essentially acting as a network provider even if using TMo and Sprint backbones.

Because those two, and Verizon and ATT implicated as well, collect and share a whole lotta user details Google also created an accompanying VPN ensuring Google Fi customer's cellular and wi-fi traffic is not collected and sold when using the Fi service.

Always on, encrypted, no personal identifiers, and unreadable even by Google. Apple can do the same if they wanted to. It doesn't really matter to the original comment itself whether anyone would use or even consider using a Google service. It's simply evidence that what you'd like to see Apple do now exists and it works, and for all the right reasons.
    edited March 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    There's nothing about the commercial that's creepy. Well, unless you consider the aspect of being tracked in the first place.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    You have absolutely valid reasons not to be interested in non-Apple services then. Of course experience with them matters.

My original point is what you suggest can be done. Google created their own cell service for their line of Pixel phones (and now more broadly available outside of Pixels), essentially acting as a network provider even if using TMo and Sprint backbones.

Because those two, and Verizon and ATT implicated as well, collect and share a whole lotta user details Google also created an accompanying VPN ensuring Google Fi customer's cellular and wi-fi traffic is not collected and sold when using the Fi service.

Always on, encrypted, no personal identifiers, and unreadable even by Google. Apple can do the same if they wanted to. It doesn't really matter to the original comment itself whether anyone would use or even consider using a Google service. It's simply evidence that what you'd like to see Apple do now exists and it works, and for all the right reasons.
    Gotcha. :)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:

Oddly the company "we" love to hate here also offers a VPN of their own, isn't tied to an account or phone number, uses no other identifiers either, isn't stored, and encrypted in a way that cannot be read by that company, anonymized even to themselves. Who knew?

My neighbor steals cars for a living. He wants to be your mechanic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gatorguy said:

My neighbor steals cars for a living. He wants to be your mechanic.
    Enjoy your neighbor. :) Hey you still using the cellphone plan he sold ya? Love his tagline: "When you call, we listen". 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Aaand you can still be tracked even through onion routing if someone really wanted to, but nobody cares about one person (or you) so don’t pretend someone somewhere can’t make a profile on you just because you’re strictly Apple and use special anonymity services. Laughable.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Johan42 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Aaand you can still be tracked even through onion routing if someone really wanted to, but nobody cares about one person (or you) so don’t pretend someone somewhere can’t make a profile on you just because you’re strictly Apple and use special anonymity services. Laughable.
    Considering I'm talking about a product that doesn't exist, I feel like you're projecting a bit here.
    watto_cobra