Samsung, Huawei getting close to iPhone, spending on camera hardware to get there

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    flydog said:
    avon b7 said:

Everybody uses off the shelf components (Apple too) but Huawei is one of the world's most vertically integrated companies too.

To take a recent development. Rumours state Apple is moving up to 2,000 engineers to get working on a new modem. Currently it uses an off the shelf part.

Huawei has built its own for years and already has a 5G modem - shipping.

Apple uses off the shelf wi-fi. Huawei has developed its own. I believe it is currently the world's fastest wi-fi chipset on a mobile device.

I could go on.
    Most of your posts are hyperbole and speculation, but in any case, none of this matters to 99.9% of the people who buy smartphones.  Moreover, usable 5G service is years away. 

What does matter, then?

Apple hasn't been able to shift the needle on sales for four years now and recently took a dip.

What is Apple doing wrong or what are competitors doing better?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The competition is more than fierce right now.
    Largely a myth pushed by the tech press. Companies like Huawei are overly dependent on off-the-shelf technology. They're pretty far behind the curve when it comes to developing exclusive in-house tech. People like to talk about how Huawei has their own SoC designs now, but they're barely competitive with twice the cores. And nobody expects them to develop a mass market OS. 
    I doubt you have anything to back that claim up, but Huawei is one of the phone industry's leading innovators. R&D is regularly above Apple's and just last year I believe they filed more patents than anyone else.

Everybody uses off the shelf components (Apple too) but Huawei is one of the world's most vertically integrated companies too.

To take a recent development. Rumours state Apple is moving up to 2,000 engineers to get working on a new modem. Currently it uses an off the shelf part.

Apple uses off the shelf wi-fi. Huawei has developed its own. I believe it is currently the world's fastest wi-fi chipset on a mobile device.

I could go on.
    Go on and maybe you'll find out that 5G is not the "modem" but the "network", as all the Gs are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 79
    They're still not even close to Face ID and they've given up on 3D facial recognition. That night shot saga began last year, cheating people by artificially removing dithering and bragging about how "noiseless" is that shot actually totally lacking tonal balance. Dithering is not noise, it is a must to represent subtle tonal variations when the tonal range is too limited as in the night.
    Who has given up on 3D facial recognition?

As for the 'night shot saga' I think you are completely missing the point.

When it boils down to having a shot or not having a shot, you take the first option as long as the results are good enough for you.

That question has been answered many times over.

How it is done in that context is wholly irrelevant.

Take a peek at the P30 Pro presentation. They almost stopped comparing to XS Max because it was one 'blank' photo after another.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamAbalos65
  • Reply 24 of 79
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Do they run iOS?  

Could they if they wanted to?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 79
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    avon b7 said:
    How has Huawei pulled ahead in chassis design?
    More than chassis, shell design.

Fashion counts (especially in China) even though phones end up in cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to some but one aspect of phones is design and your first contact with one is its design. Like food at a restaurant. It enters through your eyes first. The shell is important.

Last year Huawei took a gamble on gradient finishes and it paid off. The 'Twilight' gradient set a trend that many followed. We can say that 2018 was the year of the gradient in terms of phone shell finish.

However, Huawei has a long history of experimenting with phone finishes.

It releases so many phones a year (Huawei and Honor) that it is easy to test the waters with new ideas and see how they work.

They have been working on layering techniques, nano coatings, ribbing etc. for many years.

This year they have taken the P20 gradients and refined them. I have seen both the Amber Sunrise and Breathing Crystal finishes in person. They are both - stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

This doesn't mean Apple's are ugly. They suffer from being a little 'boring' with regards to what is on offer. The XR took a step in the right direction, though. There is no denying that, but your options of course are limited.

Six colors are limited? Oh please 🙄 give me a break!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 79
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    avon b7 said:
    Largely a myth pushed by the tech press. Companies like Huawei are overly dependent on off-the-shelf technology. They're pretty far behind the curve when it comes to developing exclusive in-house tech. People like to talk about how Huawei has their own SoC designs now, but they're barely competitive with twice the cores. And nobody expects them to develop a mass market OS. 
    Apple's cores are way more efficient than those of anyone else... but they use this quite significant advantage for such a hollow goal: to shave more depth from the phone. The battery in my 6S is beginning to die, again, this time after about 350 cycles. The phone has applied "performance management protections" or whatever Apple calls it. I had it replaced just over a year ago with an official Apple battery, but it's already down to 80% of its original capacity. If the original capacity was greater, the number of cycles would be reduced thus it'd last longer per cycle and have a longer lifetime. But no, Apple uses the efficiency gains to shave off another few tenths of a millimetre. One of the top complaints about iPhones is the battery life, no one is complaining it's too thick.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    flydog said:
    avon b7 said:

I could go on.
    Most of your posts are hyperbole and speculation, but in any case, none of this matters to 99.9% of the people who buy smartphones.  Moreover, usable 5G service is years away. 

Verizon started rolling out 5G a couple days ago.  So much for hyperbole.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 28 of 79
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    avon b7 said:
    "it is worth remembering that both the Samsung Galaxy S10+ and the Huawei P30 Pro are relatively new devices, whereas the iPhone XS was launched in September last year"

It is also worth remembering that Apple has been losing ground to Huawei since 2017 and not just on  the latest flagships.

Huawei has pulled ahead in major areas:

Shell design
    Battery tech
    Modem tech
    Camera tech

OS is a question of preference and EMUI is apparently a 'like it or loathe it' case but I much prefer it to iOS.

Huawei even did more with 3D depth sensing.

The Mate 10 brought us an - on SoC - gigabit modem. The P20 Pro brought the tri-camera and Night Mode. The Mate 20 Pro brought Live 3D with each refresh taking the previous models' highlights and improving on them.

All of that was already ahead of Apple. These new flagships have simply pushed them one step ahead again.

This means that if Apple releases a tri-camera this year end (2019 refresh), it will literally be a year and a half behind Huawei on that major characteristic.

As for image quality, most phones take more than good enough photos and have done for years. Now, quality alone is not enough. Now it is quality AND versatility. How can we even compare a Huawei phone camera - from a year ago - to the latest iPhone if the iPhone can't even take the same photo?

That versatility is where Apple is getting knocked out of the park when pitted against the P30 Pro for example and the P30 Pro will see a raft of updates to tweak its photo prowess.

Reviewers are even using the 50x zoom on the P30 Pro - as binoculars!

Having better video options is of little condolence when Apple's refreshed lineup will go up against both the new Note and Mate series on release. And Huawei has already demoed its its 'dual video' feature which could find niche uses.

Then, you have the little details like dual frequency GPS, AIIS, AI used for battery management, noise cancellation, call enhancement, nano card storage, true dual SIM etc. Many Huawei phones even have an IR blaster!

And then the 'boring' stuff like the ability to hold a signal in difficult scenarios or at high speed. The 2017 demo showed how, the then brand new, iPhone X lost its GPS tracking while passing through a tunnel under a river while the Huawei remained locked on. How the Huawei could handle tower handovers with ease on high speed trains. How the iPhone X stopped working at low temperatures (Alaska field trip) while the Huawei came back with the photos.

Apple has to deliver a major update this year and definitely review the 'S' cycle strategy. On top of that it will have to take a long hard look at pricing.

I can guarantee that the biggest cheer at the 2019 iPhone refresh will be when they reveal it won't have a 5W charger in the box.

TROL ALERT TROL ALERT.....and if they are so great as you been praising, how come the daughter of Hauwie founder that was caught in Canada have iphone, ipad and Mcbook??
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 79
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    avon b7 said:

I could go on.

What does matter, then?

Apple hasn't been able to shift the needle on sales for four years now and recently took a dip.

Keep touting your surveillance machines, man. Huawei vs Apple is not a thing. It just isnt. This is literally the same selling on specs thing that Samsung played back during the S3-S4 generation complete with a Govt back corp stealing ideas and IP. iOS user base is growing not shrinking but yes Apple needs to play the spec game. 

Your schtick is old. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    They're still not even close to Face ID and they've given up on 3D facial recognition. That night shot saga began last year, cheating people by artificially removing dithering and bragging about how "noiseless" is that shot actually totally lacking tonal balance. Dithering is not noise, it is a must to represent subtle tonal variations when the tonal range is too limited as in the night.

When it boils down to having a shot or not having a shot, you take the first option as long as the results are good enough for you.

Take a peek at the P30 Pro presentation. They almost stopped comparing to XS Max because it was one 'blank' photo after another.
    If you get a "blank" photo from the Xs Max when shooting at night just boost the exposure. The fact that Huawei does this automatically is cheating, it gives the user the false impression that they are great photographers with great gadgets. Although that may be tolerated to a degree from UI point of view, Apple never pushes "user friendliness" to such a point that the border between "friendliness" and "cheating" disappears. "If you want to cheat yourself do it manually, I won't cheat you": that is Apple's stance on such fringe cases.
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    "it is worth remembering that both the Samsung Galaxy S10+ and the Huawei P30 Pro are relatively new devices, whereas the iPhone XS was launched in September last year"

It is also worth remembering that Apple has been losing ground to Huawei since 2017 and not just on  the latest flagships.

Shell design
    Battery tech
    Modem tech
    Camera tech

OS is a question of preference and EMUI is apparently a 'like it or loathe it' case but I much prefer it to iOS.

The Mate 10 brought us an - on SoC - gigabit modem. The P20 Pro brought the tri-camera and Night Mode. The Mate 20 Pro brought Live 3D with each refresh taking the previous models' highlights and improving on them.

All of that was already ahead of Apple. These new flagships have simply pushed them one step ahead again.

This means that if Apple releases a tri-camera this year end (2019 refresh), it will literally be a year and a half behind Huawei on that major characteristic.

As for image quality, most phones take more than good enough photos and have done for years. Now, quality alone is not enough. Now it is quality AND versatility. How can we even compare a Huawei phone camera - from a year ago - to the latest iPhone if the iPhone can't even take the same photo?

That versatility is where Apple is getting knocked out of the park when pitted against the P30 Pro for example and the P30 Pro will see a raft of updates to tweak its photo prowess.

Having better video options is of little condolence when Apple's refreshed lineup will go up against both the new Note and Mate series on release. And Huawei has already demoed its its 'dual video' feature which could find niche uses.

Then, you have the little details like dual frequency GPS, AIIS, AI used for battery management, noise cancellation, call enhancement, nano card storage, true dual SIM etc. Many Huawei phones even have an IR blaster!

And then the 'boring' stuff like the ability to hold a signal in difficult scenarios or at high speed. The 2017 demo showed how, the then brand new, iPhone X lost its GPS tracking while passing through a tunnel under a river while the Huawei remained locked on. How the Huawei could handle tower handovers with ease on high speed trains. How the iPhone X stopped working at low temperatures (Alaska field trip) while the Huawei came back with the photos.

Apple has to deliver a major update this year and definitely review the 'S' cycle strategy. On top of that it will have to take a long hard look at pricing.

I can guarantee that the biggest cheer at the 2019 iPhone refresh will be when they reveal it won't have a 5W charger in the box.

It baffles me that someone with so much knowledge about, and is enamored with, Huawei tech, that they take so much time out of their day to post about it at an Apple centric site? What’s the end game here? I can’t image myself going to HuaweiInsider or whatever to post about Apple. 
    StrangeDaystmaycolinngwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 79
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    avon b7 said:

Shell design
    Battery tech
    Modem tech
    Camera tech

It baffles me that someone with so much knowledge about, and is enamored with, Huawei tech, that they take so much time out of their day to post about it at an Apple centric site? What’s the end game here? I can’t image myself going to HuaweiInsider or whatever to post about Apple. 
    Hence shill.
    StrangeDayscolinngwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    How has Huawei pulled ahead in chassis design?
    More than chassis, shell design.

Fashion counts (especially in China) even though phones end up in cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to some but one aspect of phones is design and your first contact with one is its design. Like food at a restaurant. It enters through your eyes first. The shell is important.

Last year Huawei took a gamble on gradient finishes and it paid off. The 'Twilight' gradient set a trend that many followed. We can say that 2018 was the year of the gradient in terms of phone shell finish.

However, Huawei has a long history of experimenting with phone finishes.

It releases so many phones a year (Huawei and Honor) that it is easy to test the waters with new ideas and see how they work.

They have been working on layering techniques, nano coatings, ribbing etc. for many years.

This year they have taken the P20 gradients and refined them. I have seen both the Amber Sunrise and Breathing Crystal finishes in person. They are both - stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

This doesn't mean Apple's are ugly. They suffer from being a little 'boring' with regards to what is on offer. The XR took a step in the right direction, though. There is no denying that, but your options of course are limited.

Six colors are limited? Oh please 🙄 give me a break!
    Six 'safe' colours and not a gradient in sight. Fashion means trends. If the trend is in gradients, no amount of colours will resolve the problem.

Also, it is six colours on this refresh. Six months. Before that what did you have? The options weren't particularly varied and you had to go back to the plastic matte colours of the 5C before that.

Huawei has brought countless colours and finishes to market over the last few years.

Fashion is hard to nail. Sometimes you get lucky, often you don't. Apple has a tough call as it has to make do with its choices for the entire life of the refresh.

Obviously Huawei has far more room to manoeuvre here.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Read about the backdoor recently discovered in Huawei's MateBook:

https://apple.news/A7Qnb0Z0bPL6b7g7wPH7cVQ

And read here Microsoft's explanation and try to figure out what Microsoft may be telling between lines with "One would expect that a device management software would perform mostly hardware-related tasks, with the supplied device drivers being the communication layer with the OEM-specific hardware. So why was this driver exhibiting unusual behavior?"

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2019/03/25/from-alert-to-driver-vulnerability-microsoft-defender-atp-investigation-unearths-privilege-escalation-flaw/
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 79
    avon b7 said:

If you get a "blank" photo from the Xs Max when shooting at night just boost the exposure. The fact that Huawei does this automatically is cheating, it gives the user the false impression that they are great photographers with great gadgets. Although that may be tolerated to a degree from UI point of view, Apple never pushes "user friendliness" to such a point that the border between "friendliness" and "cheating" disappears. "If you want to cheat yourself do it manually, I won't cheat you": that is Apple's stance on such fringe cases.
    You mean pull out your tripod and boost the exposure because without that, or something solid to rest the phone on, or you will get a blurred mess.

As I said, people want the photo. They don't care about how they get it.

It isn't 'cheating' and I would bet my grandmother that Apple will announce the exact same low light options this September/October.

What freaked everybody out last March was precisely that the P20 Pro was taking up to 6 second handheld exposures and using AIIS and pixel binning to give hitherto unseen results on a phone camera in auto (Night) mode.

As for changing settings, Huawei has always offered the Pro Mode on its Camera App for the last many years and given users almost complete control over the camera's control.

elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Completely unnecessary. Adds nothing but distraction to the thread. Feel free to disagree but really, name-calling is what it comes down to?  
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 37 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You mean pull out your tripod and boost the exposure because without that, or something solid to rest the phone on, or you will get a blurred mess.

As I said, people want the photo. They don't care about how they get it.

It isn't 'cheating' and I would bet my grandmother that Apple will announce the exact same low light options this September/October.

What freaked everybody out last March was precisely that the P20 Pro was taking up to 6 second handheld exposures and using AIIS and pixel binning to give hitherto unseen results on a phone camera in auto (Night) mode.

As for changing settings, Huawei has always offered the Pro Mode on its Camera App for the last many years and given users almost complete control over the camera's control.
    Apple will certainly promote low-light features when it is technically meaningful and correct to do so. All come down to ISO values. If a given lens/sensor combination handles low-light ISO values better then that needs a technical explanation. "This photo is blank / that photo is brilliant" is layman's understanding if not clickbait and no one in this forum will buy it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 79
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    avon b7 said:

So SLR cameras that boost the ISO to 6400+ to get a decent picture at night are "cheating" too? Alright. You keep telling yourself that.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 79
    elijahg said:
    avon b7 said:

So SLR cameras that boost the ISO to 6400+ to get a decent picture at night are "cheating" too? Alright. You keep telling yourself that.
    If you feel as having a SLR camera with that Huawei, alright. Keep feeling that way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 79
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    avon b7 said:

I could go on.

What does matter, then?

Keep touting your surveillance machines, man. Huawei vs Apple is not a thing. It just isnt. This is literally the same selling on specs thing that Samsung played back during the S3-S4 generation complete with a Govt back corp stealing ideas and IP. iOS user base is growing not shrinking but yes Apple needs to play the spec game. 

Your schtick is old. 
    "Huawei vs Apple is not a thing. It just isnt."

It is in China, where Huawei is decimating both Apple & Samsung, and also in many countries in Europe. You're underestimating Huawei's success

"
    iOS user base is growing not shrinking"

That is true but where is it coming from? For the last 3 years, sales of new iPhones have been at best stagnant and at worst shrinking, which means the upgrade cycle is lengthening.  That would mean user base growth is coming from the grey market. 
    muthuk_vanalingam