Samsung, Huawei getting close to iPhone, spending on camera hardware to get there

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Completely unnecessary. Adds nothing but distraction to the thread. Feel free to disagree but really, name-calling is what it comes down to?  
    Says the other shill.
    LOL. Actually expected that from someone else but peas and pods are a natural, doesn't matter which pea drops in. Welcome to the thread. 
    :)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 62 of 79
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Completely unnecessary. Adds nothing but distraction to the thread. Feel free to disagree but really, name-calling is what it comes down to?  
    Says the other shill.
    LOL. Actually expected that from someone else but peas and pods are a natural, doesn't matter which pea drops in. Welcome to the thread. 
    Maybe there are some Apple zealots that hang out in android forums and if so they would correctly be called shills and trolls.  Just like we call you and Avon shill and troll.

You guys aren’t being “honest”.  You guys are at best trolling and at worst astroturfing.  To be honest, I think Huawei is too smart to pay a tool like Avon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 79
    raysosherraysosher Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Not only Huawei and Samsung, Oppo is also a great phone after iPhone. After using 4-5 iPhone now I am using Oppo and I don't feel I am missing feature than iPhone. I just love this phone.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 64 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Says the other shill.
    Maybe there are some Apple zealots that hang out in android forums and if so they would correctly be called shills and trolls.  Just like we call you and Avon shill and troll.

You guys aren’t being “honest”.  You guys are at best trolling and at worst astroturfing.  To be honest, I think Huawei is too smart to pay a tool like Avon.
    "honest"? What do you mean?

Telling it like it is, is "honest". Correcting misinformation - and backing it up is "honest". Not buying products if they don't satisfy me is "honest". Presenting balance is "honest".

What is, Insulting, labelling and accusing? - all while offering NOTHING to the discussion. That is what you have done.

If you think Apple is 'delivering' with regards to the competition, say so! If there is something you don't agree with, counter it!

If all you do is come in to throw insults around you simply leave a poor image of yourself and people will take note.

I vote with my wallet and my voice. I refuse, as a long time Apple user, to roll over and pay for products that I consider overpriced and uncompetitive. If you pay, knowing you are being undersold, you do no favours to yourself or other users.

The only way the Apple of today 'reacts', is if you poke them where it hurts. They will react at some point because more and more people are behaving like me - and also voicing their discontent.

Just this morning my wife brought up the subject of a new MBP. She now knows that it won't happen at current prices with the current design and understands the reasons why.

Just one example from the first video (above)

P30 Pro: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
    iPhone Xs Max: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB

Apple should be whipped out of town for their upsell policies but if people roll over and pay that blatant upsell they have no reasonable complaint.

The only way they will look at changing the policy is if people call them out over it and refuse to bite when considering a new phone.

That, and competition producing better phones at better value.

edited April 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 65 of 79
    dt17dt17 Posts: 18member
    avon b7 said:
    dt17 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei has pulled ahead in major areas:

Shell design
    Battery tech
    Modem tech
    Camera tech

This is interesting. Please share more details on how Huawei has pulled ahead in these areas
    Simply take a look at a couple of videos (below).

Imaging:

As this article already states, it is reasonable to believe Huawei is simply investing more in the hardware but the software on the phone has also seen a huge monetary investment. Moving to RYYB meant changing everything on the imaging front. They had to produce new DSPs etc. Expensive stuff. As it is, in photography, Apple is far behind the P20 Pro  (which shipped over a year ago) in areas such as low light, zoom and assisting AI technologies (AIIS).

Battery:

Huawei has its own battery R&D centre (Watt Lab) and has made numerous advances in battery technology. Much of it can be used in its phones. Since 2017, the batteries have also been TüV certified. 

IMO. There is no way Apple should be shipping 5W chargers on ultra premium phones in 2019. It is absurd and frankly a disgrace.

Modem:

With decades of experience in telecommunications, Huawei obviously has accumulated knowhow in every area of wireless communication, from modems through to antenna design. Very few companies can match them on this front.

Apple getting itself into a potential squeeze on 5G modem tech can be put down to poor management but they do not have the knowhow, patents or engineers to produce a competitive modem any time soon (that's how it looks anyway).

Shell Design:

I mentioned shell design in an earlier post but here is a review quote:

"Breathtakingly gorgeous design

While the bright Amber Red finish is my favourite, the Breathing Crystal stands out and looks expensive. Stack it up next to the more expensive iPhone XS Max and the Max just looks downright boring in comparison.

The fit, finish and machining of the glass and metal construction is flawless, but the finish on the back is unforgettable and eye-catching as the gradient paint job shifts colours depending on how you hold it."

Try finding a review that doesn't praise the beauty of these phones.

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/huawei-p30-pro-first-impressions-ready-to-retake-the-smartphone-photography-crown-6388081.html

If you add things up you can see that Apple has its work cut out. Anyone that says otherwise isn't in touch with reality. I haven't even touched on things like macro photography, the ToF camera etc.

As I said earlier, taking a great photo isn't enough now. Camera versatility is what counts today.

The P30 Pro is far from perfect but it is the phone to top.

People will look at the first video and say that specs don't tell the whole story. They are right but specs do tell a story and the results back it up. The iPhone simply cannot do many of the things that people want today.

Some of the usual suspects (fortunately they are few) have waded into the comments to throw insults around. What is telling is that they have no counterpoint to offer. They are people who claim they would never touch a non-Apple phone anyway. Something I can understand but if that is the case, why even read this thread much less comment without adding anything to the discussion?

The biggest mistake anyone can make is thinking people don't switch. They do. I hope Apple hasn't fallen into that trap.

Wow. Didn’t expect such a long post. But thank you for the information that you shared. Now let me share my 2 cents

Imaging technology
    Are you claiming that Apple has not invested in hardware and software imaging tech? HW works with Leica and has some advantages that way but do you know that an iPhone photo is still the most neutral (able to be post processed) and most professional photographer’s accepted? What you get with Samsung and Huawei is heavily post processed photos. They may look nicer (subjective) but has much more limitations for editing. Look for the magic wand (top right) in your Apple photos app and see how it makes most photos look more colorful and sharp. Apple need to be on their toes and push the tech further. But they gonna do it at their own metrics and taste. They won’t compare purely by specs. Remember when everyone got 20-40mp cameras when Apple stuck with 12~

Battery technology
    you got to be joking here right.. there is NO new battery technology in play here at all. Battery technology has been stuck for a long time. What we need to look at is better battery efficiency (which Apple is leading). Putting in a bigger batter just kicks the problem further down the road. With people holding on to their iPhone 4-6 years. Would you want to provide free battery replacements at cost to everyone?

faster charging leads to faster battery degradation due to heat and energy lost. And don’t tell me fast charging is HW tech..

Modem tech
    Yes Apple doesn’t have their own 4G chip. How about you read about about Apple A, S, W, T, H series chips? They might have their own power delivery chips and modem chips within 1-2 years. If HW is so good I EVERY AREA of wireless like you mentioned. Why don’t they products that can work like AirPods or even AirPlay? Which major tv manufacturers are using now

Shell design
    This is the funniest. Industrial design is what Apple does best. I never heard of people complain about it (Except maybe the butterfly keyboard) what sort of materials are your precious HW or SS made of? If they are made so well, why don’t they last as long as iPhones?

Summary
    Having new colors is easy, new materials with colors that last are not
    Having larger battery is easy, having battery efficiency is not
    Having bigger numbers, more cores, more ram, more megapixel, more pixels on screen is easy
    Doing something else to get advantage in long term is not

just imagine if Apple was your run of the mill android phone maker. You would now be holding a smartphone that takes 100MP photos and you run out of storage even if you have 1T

we have 20000 MAH batteries with 16 cores processor and 32gb ram that would be performing worse than what we have today
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 79
    dt17 said:
    avon b7 said:
    dt17 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei has pulled ahead in major areas:

Shell design
    Battery tech
    Modem tech
    Camera tech

This is interesting. Please share more details on how Huawei has pulled ahead in these areas
    Simply take a look at a couple of videos (below).

Imaging:

As this article already states, it is reasonable to believe Huawei is simply investing more in the hardware but the software on the phone has also seen a huge monetary investment. Moving to RYYB meant changing everything on the imaging front. They had to produce new DSPs etc. Expensive stuff. As it is, in photography, Apple is far behind the P20 Pro  (which shipped over a year ago) in areas such as low light, zoom and assisting AI technologies (AIIS).

Battery:

Huawei has its own battery R&D centre (Watt Lab) and has made numerous advances in battery technology. Much of it can be used in its phones. Since 2017, the batteries have also been TüV certified. 

IMO. There is no way Apple should be shipping 5W chargers on ultra premium phones in 2019. It is absurd and frankly a disgrace.

Modem:

With decades of experience in telecommunications, Huawei obviously has accumulated knowhow in every area of wireless communication, from modems through to antenna design. Very few companies can match them on this front.

Apple getting itself into a potential squeeze on 5G modem tech can be put down to poor management but they do not have the knowhow, patents or engineers to produce a competitive modem any time soon (that's how it looks anyway).

Shell Design:

I mentioned shell design in an earlier post but here is a review quote:

"Breathtakingly gorgeous design

While the bright Amber Red finish is my favourite, the Breathing Crystal stands out and looks expensive. Stack it up next to the more expensive iPhone XS Max and the Max just looks downright boring in comparison.

The fit, finish and machining of the glass and metal construction is flawless, but the finish on the back is unforgettable and eye-catching as the gradient paint job shifts colours depending on how you hold it."

Try finding a review that doesn't praise the beauty of these phones.

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/huawei-p30-pro-first-impressions-ready-to-retake-the-smartphone-photography-crown-6388081.html

If you add things up you can see that Apple has its work cut out. Anyone that says otherwise isn't in touch with reality. I haven't even touched on things like macro photography, the ToF camera etc.

As I said earlier, taking a great photo isn't enough now. Camera versatility is what counts today.

The P30 Pro is far from perfect but it is the phone to top.

People will look at the first video and say that specs don't tell the whole story. They are right but specs do tell a story and the results back it up. The iPhone simply cannot do many of the things that people want today.

Some of the usual suspects (fortunately they are few) have waded into the comments to throw insults around. What is telling is that they have no counterpoint to offer. They are people who claim they would never touch a non-Apple phone anyway. Something I can understand but if that is the case, why even read this thread much less comment without adding anything to the discussion?

The biggest mistake anyone can make is thinking people don't switch. They do. I hope Apple hasn't fallen into that trap.

Wow. Didn’t expect such a long post. But thank you for the information that you shared. Now let me share my 2 cents

Imaging technology
    Are you claiming that Apple has not invested in hardware and software imaging tech? HW works with Leica and has some advantages that way but do you know that an iPhone photo is still the most neutral (able to be post processed) and most professional photographer’s accepted? What you get with Samsung and Huawei is heavily post processed photos. They may look nicer (subjective) but has much more limitations for editing. Look for the magic wand (top right) in your Apple photos app and see how it makes most photos look more colorful and sharp. Apple need to be on their toes and push the tech further. But they gonna do it at their own metrics and taste. They won’t compare purely by specs. Remember when everyone got 20-40mp cameras when Apple stuck with 12~

Battery technology
    you got to be joking here right.. there is NO new battery technology in play here at all. Battery technology has been stuck for a long time. What we need to look at is better battery efficiency (which Apple is leading). Putting in a bigger batter just kicks the problem further down the road. With people holding on to their iPhone 4-6 years. Would you want to provide free battery replacements at cost to everyone?

faster charging leads to faster battery degradation due to heat and energy lost. And don’t tell me fast charging is HW tech..

Modem tech
    Yes Apple doesn’t have their own 4G chip. How about you read about about Apple A, S, W, T, H series chips? They might have their own power delivery chips and modem chips within 1-2 years. If HW is so good I EVERY AREA of wireless like you mentioned. Why don’t they products that can work like AirPods or even AirPlay? Which major tv manufacturers are using now

Shell design
    This is the funniest. Industrial design is what Apple does best. I never heard of people complain about it (Except maybe the butterfly keyboard) what sort of materials are your precious HW or SS made of? If they are made so well, why don’t they last as long as iPhones?

Summary
    Having new colors is easy, new materials with colors that last are not
    Having larger battery is easy, having battery efficiency is not
    Having bigger numbers, more cores, more ram, more megapixel, more pixels on screen is easy
    Doing something else to get advantage in long term is not

just imagine if Apple was your run of the mill android phone maker. You would now be holding a smartphone that takes 100MP photos and you run out of storage even if you have 1T

we have 20000 MAH batteries with 16 cores processor and 32gb ram that would be performing worse than what we have today
    Forgive me for not going into more detail on these points but I have been through them many times here and they aren't very on topic for this thread.

Battery tech is more than chemistry. It is chemistry and electronics. Huawei SuperCharge is more than capacity and watts. The whole charging process forms part of the technology, from the charger, cable and the different gates within the phone. The cable/charger has chips in it and there are multiple chips/sensors/safety gates within the phone to make sure heat isn't an issue. They have used graphene as a cooling element too within batteries and altered the molecular structure of current battery tech (this last advance hasn't actually been used on a phone yet).

Here is an - old - video overview to SuperCharge but it is visual and clear. Things have improved since then, of course.

Add on TüV certification, and safety, in spite of the risks inherent to batteries, seems to be covered. Degradation isn't really an issue. I have used Huawei fast charging on other phones and 'punished' them. One bought at the same time as an iPhone 6. With far less charging, the iPhone needed a battery replacement long before the Huawei and the iPhone was using the standard 5W charger.

As I said, Huawei has an entire research lab dedicated to battery technology but phones are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of use cases.

https://www.naefrontiers.org/184165/Abstract [.pdf] A simple abstract but it points to what Huawei is researching.

https://www.huawei.com/en/press-events/news/2016/12/Graphene-Assisted-Li-ion-Batteries

Huawei has also announced Lithium-Silicon for upcoming handsets.

All fruits of Watt Lab R&D.

On modems, I was talking mainly about wireless communication - and in that context. Remember that Apple is a consumer electronics company and little else in the broader scheme of things. Huawei extends far beyond that space. In fact it was only last year that its Consumer Group itself came to prominence within the company. With the exception of the A Series chips, most of Apple's other chips are relatively new (and great) additions. Huawei has its own chip division and has been in operation far longer than Apple's internal setup and produces all kinds of chips, not unlike Qualcomm. The difference is that they have been more focused on non-consumer electronics  products. That said, last year they announced an entire platform of new chips (Ascend) which will reach down into the CE realm.

https://blog.huawei.com/2019/02/05/activating-ai-power-with-the-ascend-chipset/

Expect more on that front. Of course, in the modem space Huawei also holds a wide spread of patents. I read the other day that Apple does have some 5G patents. Around 11 I think. Huawei has around 1,500 and it is a major contributor to the technology. It is rumoured that, even excepting 5G, Apple licences almost 800 patents from Huawei.

'Shell design' isn't so much 'industrial design' in what I was referring to. I was mainly referring to offering colours and finishes that hit the market and 'turn heads' as it were. As I said, it is a bit of a lottery but Huawei is way ahead of Apple in what it is offering now (and last year too). It has a huge advantage in being able to experiment with different ideas - in a real world setting - and try them in different markets through the year. I think the quote I gave summed things up very well. The Max looks 'boring' with a Breathing Crystal P30 Pro by its side. It's not the 'industrial design' or how great it is. It is how consumers react to it. Last year's Twilight finish wasn't the first on the market but it became the finish that got the wows. As a result we now have a new range of gradients that are also getting lots of 'wows'. At some point gradients will not be fashionable but it won't be this year. That's how fashion works.

On imaging, yes I am aware of what Apple has produced but it is behind. I'm not sure what you mean with the image processing. All output to a format is processed. You can choose RAW output if you wish. As I said, the trend in phone cameras isn't just the quality but the versatility. Again, Apple needs to provide more on that front or it will have issues competing.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Says the other shill.

Pay a visit to Android Central or Android Police and you'll see that Apple users aren't called names, and Apple devices are actually used right beside Android and Chrome ones. AI is NOT a typical fan site.... And that's OK :)
    chemengin
  • Reply 68 of 79

Forgive me for not going into more detail on these points but I have been through them many times here and they aren't very on topic for this thread.

Battery tech is more than chemistry. It is chemistry and electronics. Huawei SuperCharge is more than capacity and watts. The whole charging process forms part of the technology, from the charger, cable and the different gates within the phone. The cable/charger has chips in it and there are multiple chips/sensors/safety gates within the phone to make sure heat isn't an issue. They have used graphene as a cooling element too within batteries and altered the molecular structure of current battery tech (this last advance hasn't actually been used on a phone yet).

Here is an - old - video overview to SuperCharge but it is visual and clear. Things have improved since then, of course.

Add on TüV certification, and safety, in spite of the risks inherent to batteries, seems to be covered. Degradation isn't really an issue. I have used Huawei fast charging on other phones and 'punished' them. One bought at the same time as an iPhone 6. With far less charging, the iPhone needed a battery replacement long before the Huawei and the iPhone was using the standard 5W charger.

As I said, Huawei has an entire research lab dedicated to battery technology but phones are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of use cases.

https://www.naefrontiers.org/184165/Abstract [.pdf] A simple abstract but it points to what Huawei is researching.

https://www.huawei.com/en/press-events/news/2016/12/Graphene-Assisted-Li-ion-Batteries

On modems, I was talking mainly about wireless communication - and in that context. Remember that Apple is a consumer electronics company and little else in the broader scheme of things. Huawei extends far beyond that space. In fact it was only last year that its Consumer Group itself came to prominence within the company. With the exception of the A Series chips, most of Apple's other chips are relatively new (and great) additions. Huawei has its own chip division and has been in operation far longer than Apple's internal setup and produces all kinds of chips, not unlike Qualcomm. The difference is that they have been more focused on non-consumer electronics  products. That said, last year they announced an entire platform of new chips (Ascend) which will reach down into the CE realm.

Expect more on that front. Of course, in the modem space Huawei also holds a wide spread of patents. I read the other day that Apple does have some 5G patents. Around 11 I think. Huawei has around 1,500 and it is a major contributor to the technology. It is rumoured that, even excepting 5G, Apple licences almost 800 patents from Huawei.

'Shell design' isn't so much 'industrial design' in what I was referring to. I was mainly referring to offering colours and finishes that hit the market and 'turn heads' as it were. As I said, it is a bit of a lottery but Huawei is way ahead of Apple in what it is offering now (and last year too). It has a huge advantage in being able to experiment with different ideas - in a real world setting - and try them in different markets through the year. I think the quote I gave summed things up very well. The Max looks 'boring' with a Breathing Crystal P30 Pro by its side. It's not the 'industrial design' or how great it is. It is how consumers react to it. Last year's Twilight finish wasn't the first on the market but it became the finish that got the wows. As a result we now have a new range of gradients that are also getting lots of 'wows'. At some point gradients will not be fashionable but it won't be this year. That's how fashion works.

On imaging, yes I am aware of what Apple has produced but it is behind. I'm not sure what you mean with the image processing. All output to a format is processed. You can choose RAW output if you wish. As I said, the trend in phone cameras isn't just the quality but the versatility. Again, Apple needs to provide more on that front or it will have issues competing.
    So basically you posted a bunch of marketing and newsroom stuff from HW, some youtuber videos which are obviously paid for advertising for your sources

Super charge, quick charge, please! It’s basic battery tech, you put more current with the same voltage you get more power! There is no way you gonna get around battery degradation with what we have currently

The real reason why these “battery tech” solutions were created in the first place is because android makers including your precious HW had to go with bigger batteries to get longer life because they couldn’t figure out how to make their smartphones more efficient and had to “show” they had better battery life by throwing in bigger and bigger batteries.

By the way, this happens all the time with Android phones
    - bigger screens/ more PPI
    - more cores
    - more RAM
    - more megapixels
    - more storage
    - more camera zoom (starting to sound familiar)?
    - faster 4G/5G when networks were not even ready to support them
    - bigger batteries

Dont you think Apple knows how to do those? They don’t do it first because it’s easy. When they got power efficiency done right then suddenly they throw in a huge battery or with new battery tech. Then who’s got the better tech now? The rest of the players are stuck because they already went out the maximize those specs

If you don’t feel battery degradation with your android. It means you are
    1. Lying to yourself about it
    2. Not using the android phones very much
    3. Comparing older iPhone models with new android flagships. Yeah. That S10 (new out of the box) sure is much better than my iPhone 6 I bought 5 years ago!

“On modems, I was talking mainly about wireless communication - and in that context. Remember that Apple is a consumer electronics company and little else in the broader scheme of things. Huawei extends far beyond that space”

Are we talking consumer products? Smartphones in particular here? You want to talk about enterprise and telco equipment? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Because the company with most patents wins right?

For the rest of the points I believe you already shot yourself in the foot
    AppleExposedcolinngwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    How has Huawei pulled ahead in chassis design?
    More than chassis, shell design.

Fashion counts (especially in China) even though phones end up in cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to some but one aspect of phones is design and your first contact with one is its design. Like food at a restaurant. It enters through your eyes first. The shell is important.

Last year Huawei took a gamble on gradient finishes and it paid off. The 'Twilight' gradient set a trend that many followed. We can say that 2018 was the year of the gradient in terms of phone shell finish.

However, Huawei has a long history of experimenting with phone finishes.

It releases so many phones a year (Huawei and Honor) that it is easy to test the waters with new ideas and see how they work.

They have been working on layering techniques, nano coatings, ribbing etc. for many years.

This year they have taken the P20 gradients and refined them. I have seen both the Amber Sunrise and Breathing Crystal finishes in person. They are both - stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

This doesn't mean Apple's are ugly. They suffer from being a little 'boring' with regards to what is on offer. The XR took a step in the right direction, though. There is no denying that, but your options of course are limited.

avon b7 said:
    How has Huawei pulled ahead in chassis design?
    More than chassis, shell design.

Fashion counts (especially in China) even though phones end up in cases.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to some but one aspect of phones is design and your first contact with one is its design. Like food at a restaurant. It enters through your eyes first. The shell is important.

Last year Huawei took a gamble on gradient finishes and it paid off. The 'Twilight' gradient set a trend that many followed. We can say that 2018 was the year of the gradient in terms of phone shell finish.

However, Huawei has a long history of experimenting with phone finishes.

It releases so many phones a year (Huawei and Honor) that it is easy to test the waters with new ideas and see how they work.

They have been working on layering techniques, nano coatings, ribbing etc. for many years.

This year they have taken the P20 gradients and refined them. I have seen both the Amber Sunrise and Breathing Crystal finishes in person. They are both - stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

This doesn't mean Apple's are ugly. They suffer from being a little 'boring' with regards to what is on offer. The XR took a step in the right direction, though. There is no denying that, but your options of course are limited.

A knockoff shell design of iPhone is better than the design Apple invented?

I swear every year it gets more ridiculous with the iKnockoff Knights.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 79
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Says the other shill.

No, there are no Apple users in those forums but as soon as you say anything factual they team up on you and call you an "iSheeps"...rather ironic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 79

dt17 said:

So basically you posted a bunch of marketing and newsroom stuff from HW, some youtuber videos which are obviously paid for advertising for your sources

Super charge, quick charge, please! It’s basic battery tech, you put more current with the same voltage you get more power! There is no way you gonna get around battery degradation with what we have currently

The real reason why these “battery tech” solutions were created in the first place is because android makers including your precious HW had to go with bigger batteries to get longer life because they couldn’t figure out how to make their smartphones more efficient and had to “show” they had better battery life by throwing in bigger and bigger batteries.

- more cores
    - more RAM
    - more megapixels
    - more storage
    - bigger batteries

Dont you think Apple knows how to do those? They don’t do it first because it’s easy. When they got power efficiency done right then suddenly they throw in a huge battery or with new battery tech. Then who’s got the better tech now? The rest of the players are stuck because they already went out the maximize those specs

3. Comparing older iPhone models with new android flagships. Yeah. That S10 (new out of the box) sure is much better than my iPhone 6 I bought 5 years ago!

“On modems, I was talking mainly about wireless communication - and in that context. Remember that Apple is a consumer electronics company and little else in the broader scheme of things. Huawei extends far beyond that space”

Are we talking consumer products? Smartphones in particular here? You want to talk about enterprise and telco equipment? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Because the company with most patents wins right?

The sad thing is even Samsung does this. In one of their ads they were comparing their 2018 knockoff to iPhone 6 from 2014.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 79
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    Of the time I spend on my phone, about 99% is looking at the screen. Don’t care what the back looks like. If I were the owner of a $1000+ phone, I’d rather people NOT look at my phone. Why should they? Why am I so needy to impress? 

In countries where everyone is poor, where people compete to show off conspicuous consumption, it is entirely predictable that people would want flashy phones, and manufacturers cater to that. They make them visibly different as often as possible, and advertise so consumers would want to replace them often.

Unless you are their advertising exec, or marketing staff, do you in any way benefit? 

How is sad is that? To dress nice and have a flashy phone, but live in a mouldy bunker and have no healthcare. Priorities? 

iPhone leads in all the things that matter. Fastest, most energy efficient processors. Lowest number of security vulnerabilities. Best anti-tracking. Best privacy. Convenience (fastest and most usable biometrics). Security (most accurate biometrics). App Store where publishers get suspended for violating your privacy. 

Who cares if the back doesn’t shimmer? Designers are not doing their life’s best work by spending time on something that an $8 case (that 90 percent of phone users buy _anyway_) would do. And if people are so vain and want to be “unique” then even better to leave that to a case. Dime a dozen.  

Who gives a rat’s ass about 5G when like 4 cities support it, and unless you have an unlimited plan, you would chew through your monthly allocation in 15 minutes on 4G anyway? 

Night shots. Who cares? Really? On a modern iPhone, if it’s bright enough to see what you’re eating, it’s bright enough to operate the camera. 
    edited April 2019 dt17watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 79
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Shill
    Says the other shill.

No, there are no Apple users in those forums but as soon as you say anything factual they team up on you and call you an "iSheeps"...rather ironic.
    I bet you hate when that happens...
    You read something you know to be incorrect or incomplete, but when you post it "the someone" doesn't actually disagree but instead launches right into the name-calling and insults. Whaddya gonna do when some superfan would rather not let facts get in the way of a good story? I agree, I'll call and raise you on ironic. Fortunately the tech sites are composed of more than superfans. Just gotta deal with 'em, there's wheat mixed with the chaff.

But I don't recall OTT name-calling and baiting (trolling) on most of the Android blogs, particularly the two I mentioned which are the only ones I frequent. Historically AI has a certain rep among the fansites, and like I said in the earlier post: That's OK.  AI overall is a GREAT site, full of knowledge and experience. What a wonderful resource, especially when the threads don't go off the rails for a page or two. 

To their credit the admin's here are very patiently trying to tidy things up a bit, a little less wild west shoot-em-up and knock-em-out and a little more organized chaos. :)
    The tone has absolutely improved in the time I've been here.
    edited April 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 74 of 79
    dt17 said:

- more cores
    - more RAM
    - more megapixels
    - more storage
    - bigger batteries

No. If you want to reduce things to 'basically' then 'basically' Huawei is ahead of Apple in the key areas I mentioned and we have come back to my main point.

Supercharge is not 'basic battery tech'. If it were basic, Apple and others would be using it. It is one of the fastest (there are others but Apple isn't in that group) charging technologies on the handset market.

All
    lithium ion batteries degrade. I said degradation wasn't a problem, not that they didn't degrade. I said that because you claimed/implied the heat generated by fast charging would reduce the lifespan of the battery with regards to regular charging. That is not the case. The video shows how (the aptly) named Supercharge Control Protocol controls heat buildup. However, on the subject of degradation, Huawei managed to double the lifespan of its lithium ion batteries a couple of years ago AND add 10 degrees to the maximum operating temperature. That particular advance hasn't been applied fully to handsets yet.

https://www.graphene-info.com/huawei-introduces-new-high-temperature-li-ion-batteries-use-graphene-reduce-operation-temperature

Also Huawei uses AI to manage battery performance. The size of the battery is to get people through the day with heavy use. There are rumours that even Apple will increase battery size by up to 25% this year. There will be a reason for that and it will be the same as for everyone else.

Like I said earlier, Specs aren't the be all and end all but some specs are vital. Moreso in what you are debating. So when someone stands a long way off a subject and wants to zoom (everybody does at some point, and quite often), x2 will not get you very far. A year ago Huawei had x3 and it made a difference. Now it stands at x5. That is a huge difference. It can even go to x10 with virtually lossless quality. You cannot argue this is just a spec. It is far more than that. Do you want to be one of the thousands standing before the Sagrada Familia and running out of zoom? It is the difference between getting the shot and not getting the shot.

We are talking consumer products from an Apple perspective only. Apple is only a CE company.

Huawei is far more and the benefits of being far more than a CE company are evident. It can filter technologies down into its CE products. That is how research into getting performance gains into batteries in extreme conditions and AI maintenance ended up in Huawei phones. It is why they use graphene film cooling and why (two years ago!) they tried to compare Mate 10 Pro photos with the iPhone X in Alaska only to come back with zero iPhone photos because the iPhone stopped working due to the cold. It is also why they already have a shipping muiltmode NSA and SA 5G modem. They are developing the underlying technology. Huawei phones often connect with Huawei mastheads in the street. It shouldn't surprise you they perform well together. Apple's communication involvement begins and ends - with the phone.

You simply cannot claim that YouTubers are all paid by Huawei or it is all PR. If I link to Huawei sites it is so you can get the information from the horses mouth.

Look at what is being reported. The iPhone simply cannot match what is being done in those areas. You should accept this and hope Apple does something about it.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 75 of 79
    colinng said:
    Of the time I spend on my phone, about 99% is looking at the screen. Don’t care what the back looks like. If I were the owner of a $1000+ phone, I’d rather people NOT look at my phone. Why should they? Why am I so needy to impress? 

In countries where everyone is poor, where people compete to show off conspicuous consumption, it is entirely predictable that people would want flashy phones, and manufacturers cater to that. They make them visibly different as often as possible, and advertise so consumers would want to replace them often.

Unless you are their advertising exec, or marketing staff, do you in any way benefit? 

How is sad is that? To dress nice and have a flashy phone, but live in a mouldy bunker and have no healthcare. Priorities? 

iPhone leads in all the things that matter. Fastest, most energy efficient processors. Lowest number of security vulnerabilities. Best anti-tracking. Best privacy. Convenience (fastest and most usable biometrics). Security (most accurate biometrics). App Store where publishers get suspended for violating your privacy. 

Who cares if the back doesn’t shimmer? Designers are not doing their life’s best work by spending time on something that an $8 case (that 90 percent of phone users buy _anyway_) would do. And if people are so vain and want to be “unique” then even better to leave that to a case. Dime a dozen.  

Who gives a rat’s ass about 5G when like 4 cities support it, and unless you have an unlimited plan, you would chew through your monthly allocation in 15 minutes on 4G anyway? 

Night shots. Who cares? Really? On a modern iPhone, if it’s bright enough to see what you’re eating, it’s bright enough to operate the camera. 
    Fashion counts whether we like it or not. There are people (not everyone of course) who are drawn to how a phone looks. Colour and finish is actually a very important aspect of the sale.

Night (low light) photography is actually something everyone beey much should 'give a rats arse about'. It marks the difference between getting no shot, a blurry mess and a lot of noise.

Everyone with a phone camera capable of great low light handheld photography will see a huge difference in their photos.

There are many reasons to go for one phone or another. You gave some valid reasons about your needs but they aren't representative of other people's reasons. If they were, Apple wouldn't have seen growth stall over the last four years.

5G is important even when users don't have access to it. Just like 4K TVs were 'important' for people with zero 4K content or any desire to subscribe to 4K content.

Apple without 5G is in a pickle. Plain and simple. Consumers will soon be bombarded with 5G marketing. It will be everywhere and if it is soon to be rolled out in an area near you (however small the actual coverage) the marketing will go into overdrive. Whether there is any logic with regards to purchasing decisions or not is irrelevant. Apple will have a tougher time making the sale.

If the competition has other compelling reasons for you to get one of their phones and it happens to ship with a multimode 5G modem, obviously things get trickier still.

To make matters worse, 5G will begin appearing in precisely the markets where Apple earns its bread a butter.

It is said that 2019 will not see a 5G iPhone but I hope the detail in the rumours is not lost on you. Apple is supposedly waiting on deadlines in the hope intel can deliver. That means they want to have a 5G phone this year - just like everyone else. The difference is that competitors are already delivering. Unless Apple breaks with tradition, the following window of opportunity will be the end of 2020. South Korean carriers have already announced prices of 5G data plans. 5G is out of the gate and from here on in will spread.

There is a silver lining here though. And that is to follow in Huawei's steps and do exactly what they did.

They shipped the Kirin 980 with Balong 5000 5G compatibility. They didn't actually ship any 5G equipped phones last year. However, they have said that last year's LTE Mate 20 Pro (Kirin 980) will be upgraded to 5G this year. 

If Apple is already working to a 5G roadmap for 2019 on at least one of its phones, but has to fall back on plan B due to intel delivering late, they could always upgrade a 2019 iPhone to 5G before the 2020 refresh.

Problem solved.

Of course, any delay could translate into lost sales.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    dt17 said:

No. If you want to reduce things to 'basically' then 'basically' Huawei is ahead of Apple in the key areas I mentioned and we have come back to my main point.

Supercharge is not 'basic battery tech'. If it were basic, Apple and others would be using it. It is one of the fastest (there are others but Apple isn't in that group) charging technologies on the handset market.

All
    lithium ion batteries degrade. I said degradation wasn't a problem, not that they didn't degrade. I said that because you claimed/implied the heat generated by fast charging would reduce the lifespan of the battery with regards to regular charging. That is not the case. The video shows how (the aptly) named Supercharge Control Protocol controls heat buildup. However, on the subject of degradation, Huawei managed to double the lifespan of its lithium ion batteries a couple of years ago AND add 10 degrees to the maximum operating temperature. That particular advance hasn't been applied fully to handsets yet.

https://www.graphene-info.com/huawei-introduces-new-high-temperature-li-ion-batteries-use-graphene-reduce-operation-temperature

Also Huawei uses AI to manage battery performance. The size of the battery is to get people through the day with heavy use. There are rumours that even Apple will increase battery size by up to 25% this year. There will be a reason for that and it will be the same as for everyone else.

Like I said earlier, Specs aren't the be all and end all but some specs are vital. Moreso in what you are debating. So when someone stands a long way off a subject and wants to zoom (everybody does at some point, and quite often), x2 will not get you very far. A year ago Huawei had x3 and it made a difference. Now it stands at x5. That is a huge difference. It can even go to x10 with virtually lossless quality. You cannot argue this is just a spec. It is far more than that. Do you want to be one of the thousands standing before the Sagrada Familia and running out of zoom? It is the difference between getting the shot and not getting the shot.

We are talking consumer products from an Apple perspective only. Apple is only a CE company.

Huawei is far more and the benefits of being far more than a CE company are evident. It can filter technologies down into its CE products. That is how research into getting performance gains into batteries in extreme conditions and AI maintenance ended up in Huawei phones. It is why they use graphene film cooling and why (two years ago!) they tried to compare Mate 10 Pro photos with the iPhone X in Alaska only to come back with zero iPhone photos because the iPhone stopped working due to the cold. It is also why they already have a shipping muiltmode NSA and SA 5G modem. They are developing the underlying technology. Huawei phones often connect with Huawei mastheads in the street. It shouldn't surprise you they perform well together. Apple's communication involvement begins and ends - with the phone.

You simply cannot claim that YouTubers are all paid by Huawei or it is all PR. If I link to Huawei sites it is so you can get the information from the horses mouth.

Look at what is being reported. The iPhone simply cannot match what is being done in those areas. You should accept this and hope Apple does something about it.

Ever used an iPad charger or new Apple USB-C charger on an iPhone? What’s that called? Slow charge? Having some safety certification and some heat management is not basic? (I guess it’s not for SS)

Go reread what I told you in the previous comment. This “tech” is to solve a problem that Android phone maker created when they couldn’t figure out better efficiency. They just make a big marketing thing out of it. Quick charge, fast charger, super charge. ITS BAD FOR YOUR BATTERY IN THE LONG RUN. Unless you can prove that after 500-1000 charges the battery retains close to 100%. I would like to see that. Please go read some basics about Lithium batteries and their limitations and why we are still stuck with them.

Continue to post tech that is not available yet and claim they are ahead. Just because some companies like to boast how far they are ahead doesn’t mean others are not working on it. So easy, would you believe me if Apple was behind these battery technology?

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Using AI to manage battery wow! So how much does the AI help you to save battery per day? This also leads to another debate for iOS vs Android. And I don’t think you want to go there. Your lover HW doesn’t have complete control over android if you didn’t know by now

When you mean ahead you do mean they are posting news ahead of time? Fast forward 6 years+ and it doesn’t even fold properly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQ7SlvYMzk

SS was also a microelectronics provider, they make ram, storage, screens, TVs, fridges, aircon and even ships! So how are they doing in the smartphone market now? At this point you are just throwing HW marketing shit at me. So..

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/08/apple-watchs-heart-rate-monitoring-credited-with-saving-another-life
    Reminds me. Why the superior HW doesn’t have a smart watch or even a popular tablet? With all those expertise and tech flowing thru them. Did you actually use your smartphone in Alaska or did you read it off some HW Site or watched some YouTuber video?

if you want to post Youtubers content. At least post someone known to be fair and neutral. For e.g. MKBHD. Posting someone super biased against a brand is hardly going to convince anyone except yourself because you already believe you KNOW so much

Last question, when was the last time you considered changing your opinion on something

if you want to see Apple reporting on something. It’s called their Keynote that happens 3-4 times a year. That’s how they work. They don’t announce things that are not ready. Except AirPower. That was a real blunder. Lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 79
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Some of the comments here (in particular a certain person who keep defending Huawei, really?) are so farfectched and superficial it's really not worth wasting my time to digest it.
    dt17watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 79
    WestuWestu Posts: 1member
    I found this thread when searching for camera phones and (believe it or not) read the entire thing. 

It seems very few people on this forum are 'tech' people or remotely interested in technology. And that's cool - not everyone is the same or has the same interests. But if you guys don't actually know or understand technology, maybe just bypass this thread?

If I'm honest, the only person in this entire thread that appears to have (a lot) of knowledge is Avon. Everything was explained was in detail and backed up. 

This forum can do with more technology enthusiasts