The TextBlade keyboard is superb, but you'll have to be patient

Comments

• Reply 1041 of 1615
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    But here is my curious thoughts!
    I have questions about Textblade. Is it ready to buy now? The writer says I must wait patienly, but how long? He says the bluetooth is problem. Can I buy one w/o bluetooth and use USB only? I don't need to travel with keyboard. Well, maybe that's nice. But I just need a small keyboard for my small desk and small room.

And oh, it can do Japanese characters. correct? Someone can please answer me?
    Is it ready to buy now?

No

How long must you wait?

When you can tell us the precise length of a piece of string, or the precise number of cherry blossoms that fall each season, you’ll have your answer. 

Is is it available without Bluetooth?

I’d say no.

Can it do Japanese text? 

DBK probably has an answer, but if the answer is “yes”, that might mean no. 

Can someone please answer you?

Yes.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1042 of 1615
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member

ADC does not do add function. It's more like modulus in modern (x mod y = z). Very simple! i.e., 10 % 3 = 1 (way to show remainder of boolean math, % = mod). However! you can use to do add of big numbers... so whoever said is wrong, and right! :)
    Here’s the thing. First, even your way gets a result- when it was claimed there wasn’t one. Second, the result being given is exactly what you get with addition. Not like the mod examples I see. So ADC is adding the numbers together. You have to set it up correctly, of course (especially know when to clear the carry flag and when not to. But it’s still have a result of addition. 

I see others have answered you other other questions so I’ll skip those. 
  • Reply 1043 of 1615
    Ah, it only works in bluetooth. My lab will not allow bluetooth :( Only wired.

Still, I want one for my mother who has even smaller hands than regular Japanese woman. And there is arthritis in her left hand. Perfect for her, right? Gmadden? You used it for long time?

What I meant by doing Japanese was that keyboard has Japanese label of characters on keys? Textblade has room for Japanese kana for such small keyboard? There are so many kanas, but maybe not enough room. I can use romaji keyboard anyways , but my mother will not. :( If Textblade can fit them all, fantastic!

I like this!
    > How long must you wait?
    >When you can tell us the precise length of a piece of string, or the precise number of cherry blossoms that fall each season, you’ll have your answer. 

You are funny guy! Alexonline. I will count all sakura and will let you know!
    idea2go_twitter
  • Reply 1044 of 1615

As a tech journalist, I am busy preparing to go to Computer. 

The digs to current and former non-Treg customers are very obvious, but if you’re a Tregger, they’re easy to miss, 

I’ll get to it. I’ve been travelling between cities

I know DBK will vehemently disagree, as he has suggested already, especially as he has his unit
    No problem if you just haven’t the opportunity at the moment. The problem comes only when you expect someone else find your examples. 

You may may be a writer, but I’m a reader and I can see you already propagandizing on how only your interpretation is valid simply because I already have a TextBlade. But the fact is that your interpretation is just as subject to biased as mine. The difference is I’m content with presenting my arguments for whatever opinion I have (might even agree with you). I don’t need to push a meme ahead of time that only you can’t understand because only you have a bias. 
  • Reply 1045 of 1615
    I also agree that the ADC discussion seems to take the wrong focus here. It was however an attempt at using false information to discredit one of the posters.

I would say that it is very clear that ADC is an add operation just like its sister command SBC is a subtraction. That said though the terms XOR and modulus are somewhat related to this.

Inside the CPU there is an ALU that contains the 8-bit ADC operation. This is set up by 8 1-bit ADC operations that are chained letting their internal carry signal cross over to the next operation.

A 1-bit ADC consists of something that has three input bits and two output bits. One of the output bits behave like an XOR operation and the second output bit is set if two or more of the input bits are set.

Now what has this to do with modulus? Well the 1-bit XOR operation can be seen as a mod 2 operator.

For a good brushup of the behavior of the 6502 I recommend the following link:
    https://dwheeler.com/6502/oneelkruns/asm1step.html
  • Reply 1046 of 1615

I will count all sakura and will let you know!
    Hmmm, would it make any difference to them if you plugged in a dongle and the TB connected to that via BT?

to me, I would think it wouldn’t, but maybe it would make a difference so I’m mentioning it. I have a dongle connected to slot 6. I just use it so I can test that configuration but also in case the regular slot messes up. 

As a a retired band director, most beginner band books have a piece called Sakura Sakura. And sometimes they might mention it translates as “cherry blossoms“. It always puzzled me but maybe you can clarify. 

My impression, including what you wrote, is that the title would actually translate as “cherry blossoms cherry blossoms”. But maybe the is some language quirk I don’t know. I’ve never seen one of our books say it that way and that seems odd. 
  • Reply 1047 of 1615

Still, I want one for my mother who has even smaller hands than regular Japanese woman. And there is arthritis in her left hand. Perfect for her, right? Gmadden? You used it for long time?

What I meant by doing Japanese was that keyboard has Japanese label of characters on keys? Textblade has room for Japanese kana for such small keyboard? There are so many kanas, but maybe not enough room. I can use romaji keyboard anyways , but my mother will not. :( If Textblade can fit them all, fantastic!

I like this!
    > How long must you wait?
    >When you can tell us the precise length of a piece of string, or the precise number of cherry blossoms that fall each season, you’ll have your answer. 

You are funny guy! Alexonline. I will count all sakura and will let you know!
    The big problem Onnanishiro-San that I didn’t tell you yet is that each cherry blossom counts for one day, so... 

Happy Counting!

And yes, 99% of us here want to know, because that way we’ll finally know which century to expect TextBlade. 

Also the talk on the Waytools forum is that USB will be possible, but that USB is in addition to Bluetooth.

Hopefully at launch both Bluetooth and USB will be available to customers. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1048 of 1615
    Well, that’s interesting. I’d certainly like to see both too. Even though I normally would do wireless. It’s just that send special commands during bootup usually won’t work with BT-LE. And there could be a rare situation where interference at a given location screws up BT completely. 

But what is interesting that, if they should include it at GR, are you going to complain about scope creep? After all, you just said you wanted it at launch. 
  • Reply 1049 of 1615
    Well, that’s interesting. I’d certainly like to see both too. Even though I normally would do wireless. It’s just that send special commands during bootup usually won’t work with BT-LE. And there could be a rare situation where interference at a given location screws up BT completely. 

But what is interesting that, if they should include it at GR, are you going to complain about scope creep? After all, you just said you wanted it at launch. 
    Well I thought I read on the WTF that people are already using it, or that it was planned. 

I meant more for Onnanoshiro-san's sake, I am happy with Bluetooth only, but USB would be nice to have in a future update if all the pre-launch activity hasn't already seen it delay the launch for another indeterminate length of time. 
  • Reply 1050 of 1615
    mims said:

Waytools wrote:
    Your pre-order purchase entitles you to significant savings and other benefits with our Early Adopter Guarantee (link removed). Those benefits include free MultiMap (save $19 per TextBlade), free future-proof swap (save up to $99), and a special gift based on your order date.  All of those are included free of charge with your pre-order, and each are worth quite a bit of money. Our intent is that folks who ordered early should get a better deal. If any of those benefits is not of interest to you, we'd be happy to let you trade one for having us pay expedited shipping for you.
    That is truly hilarious.

14+ months ago, Waytools (Mark Knighton) offered to 'let you trade':

A ) Multimap ($19)   (a core feature without which the keyboard would be severely crippled - they cannot reasonably expect satisfied customers without including multimap)
        B ) Future swap ($99)  (terms and conditions totally undefined)
        C ) Special gift ($unknown)  (who cares)

for 'expedited shipping'   ('expedited' in this case also being totally undefined. Same day courier? Overnight express? 2nd day air? 5 day ground? Details schmeetails)

Expedited shipping at an unknown future date! What a deal!

Waytools is a pathetic joke. Mark Knighton is a pathetic joke.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1051 of 1615
    gmadden said:

I personally don’t have problems with Bluetooth and my TextBlade. Daily I use TextBlade across iPhones, iPads, MacBooks.

And yet, Mark Knighton refuses to ship it. Care to guess why?

Have you ever run a firmware update on your TextBlade gmadden, or heard of someone running a firmware update?
    Have you heard any reports of any treg tester bricking a Textblade as part of a firmware update procedure?
    Does interrupting a firmware update brick the keyboard?
    Can a Textblade be un-bricked with a reset procedure and firmware upgrade re-run?

Why, in the entire universe of firmware upgradeable devices, is only Waytools unable to ship a product with firmware that can be easily upgraded at a later date? There are countless little electronic gadgets available (with a fraction of the alleged R&D input of the Textblade) which have no problem implementing an intuitive firmware update procedure that works. Why can't Waytools figure that out? Have an opinion? Why is the Textblade firmware update procedure so unreliable that Waytools cannot risk releasing firmware v1 while they finish v2?

If there is no serious and good faith logical answer to these questions, then perhaps the real answer is simply that there is no Textblade being offered for sale under any circumstance, and the technical issues alleged (firmware re-write) are a cover story.

Isn't the much more likely truth that they cannot afford to produce it (and thus lie to everyone by not disclosing that fact), or that they are restrained from selling it due to patent/legal issues (and thus they lie to everyone by not disclosing that fact)?

Mark Knighton is a liar. There is no believable technical explanation for not releasing the product. The firmware re-write excuses are lies.

edited May 2019
  • Reply 1052 of 1615
    arkorottarkorott Posts: 100member
    @WayTools_Support:

Regardless that post 1025 was ignored, switching gears can you please share your perspective on how future proof in terms of HW design & components you think the TB is ? (ie BT 4, standard USB, current processors, operating systems support, etc)

Imagining that the TB gets launched (to the masses) late 2019 / early 2020, it would be roughly 5 years since original HW design at least. For sure you had started working on it a few years prior.

A few things seem less relevant than others for now like USB-C, but in 3/4 years time that might not be the case. More concerned of evolving bluetooth standards (5.1 presented in Jan 2019).

So what is your perspective hardware wise ?

• Reply 1053 of 1615
    Arkorott - you’ll find good answers to your tech questions in our next updates on our forum and website.  Please look there.

• Reply 1054 of 1615
    TextBladeDenied - customer mims wrote us and asked for a discount on expedited shipping as compensation for the wait.

Since we provide substantial perks for those who choose to keep a preorder, we let him decide If he preferred to trade any of those for expedited shipping.  He didn’t.  The perks are worth far more.

But you already knew this, and seek to cast it as somehow bad.  

That is demonstrably your purpose in wasting your days fixated on what you call a ‘joke’.

• Reply 1055 of 1615
    And yet, Mark Knighton refuses to ship it. Care to guess why
    I’m always amazed at these kinds of statements since he has explained why. You may not like the explanation - but then you would be explaining why. Or you may want more detail, as I do, but then you’d be talking about that. Instead you pretend no reason has been given. 

We know how lack of free memory is at least a big part of this. We know the present firmware was said to work well enough. There is no contradiction in theses two things though it can seem that way on the surface. 

There will continue to be issues found. Those who use it can see how complicated it is and how it is virtually impossible to find all problems that will be discovered with mass shipments. 

So they need to be able to fix those things efficiently. With no free memory, they must rewrite not only the problematic code but often other code just to make room!

As many like to say, any time a feature is added or even just expanded, no matter how simple, you can create new problems. Somehow they forget all that in this case!

So, you fix something but maybe screw up something else. Unfortunate but that’s an unavoidable process. But if you are rewriting more code to make room, then you double (or more) the things that can go wrong. Not good. 

Not only that, but you still need the rewrite. What this means is that your team is having to fix the old firmware - with all the problems described above, plus being slower with that lack of space - while also doing the rewrite. But that goes slower because your time is split between two versions!

One can claim they should do it that way anyway, but that ignores the risks of ordinary users being unhappy with the results if they are subject to any newly discovered problems. Sure, there is risk with either choice, but if you want them to go with your choice, then invest in creating your own product. Can’t be hard as we had people in 2015 that in 6 months some Chinese company would have copied the TB!
  • Reply 1056 of 1615
    New firmware infrastructure addresses learnings from long-term users, and greatly simplifies requests and support.  It’s a smart way to advance general release.
  • Reply 1057 of 1615
    @alexonline Please don't do it. Learn from my mistake.
    So much better to just make a claim that WT made digs on that page rather than show it actually happened? These things matter. Especially after having someone making accusations about things (like what ADC does in assembly) which were completely bogus, contradicted by their own link!

if someone will go that far, it shows how important it is to make clear what an accusation is based on. 

I suspect i know what Alex’s is, and if I’m correct, he is mistaken in his interpretation. But I don’t know, so I await his examples. If he doesn’t want to give them, he shouldn’t be making the claim. 
    Sheesh, you make it sound like "dig" is some horrible accusation like fraud or murder or something. Look, just swap out "dig" for something like "snark" or "snide" or "insinuation".

You will of course argue that under the most charitable reading of [any given statement], it isn't snark/snide/insinuation. But, of course, nothing that would be labeled snark/snide/insinuation could be read as such under the most charitable reading because *plausible deniability* is one of the primary features of snark/snide/insinuation.

Anyone can always argue that a dig [or whatever] is not one no matter how blatant because that is the very nature of a dig.

Why? Why do this? It's not like WayTools' honor is at stake here. People/companies are allowed to be snarky. Also, people can disagree on what is and isn't snarky--it's OK. We don't need 20 pages of it!
  • Reply 1058 of 1615
    gmadden said:
    Only WayTools knows how long we need to wait until TextBlades are broadly released.
    Well, I don't think they know either. Or else they would actually tell us.
  • Reply 1059 of 1615
    patientlywaiting said:

Sheesh, you make it sound like "dig" is some horrible accusation like fraud or murder or something. Look, just swap out "dig" for something like "snark" or "snide" or "insinuation".

You will of course argue that under the most charitable reading of [any given statement], it isn't snark/snide/insinuation. But, of course, nothing that would be labeled snark/snide/insinuation could be read as such under the most charitable reading because *plausible deniability* is one of the primary features of snark/snide/insinuation.
    "Dig" and the others are typically presented here as a negative thing. As such, they should be accurate and BACKED UP. Which is all I asked for in requesting examples from the "availability/status update" page that Alex referred to.

And why this bit about this "most charitable reading" stuff? Just like bias, it applies to both sides, doesn't it? That is, if one gives the "most negative" interpretation of what they wrote, is that one okay? This is the same point about how I'm supposedly biased because I have a TB, but no consideration for a person, upset because they don't have one, may be biased in their interpretations.

I'm quite willing to see what the examples are and, based on actual statements, give my opinion. You can give yours too if you want - instead of trying to set the field to assume I'm just automatically being overly charitable so whatever I actually say can be ignored. Then readers can see who they think makes the most sense.
  • Reply 1060 of 1615

gmadden said:
    Only WayTools knows how long we need to wait until TextBlades are broadly released.
    Well, I don't think they know either. Or else they would actually tell us.
    I'm sure they don't know. Sure, they probably gave some idea of a general time frame, but no way to be sure even how accurate even that is. It's much like waiting for Treg, which was also delayed a lot. During the delay period, we'd see some things getting more solid. It still didn't tell us when release would come, but the more the reports improved, the more likely the estimate would be at least more accurate.

It's been awhile so I may be off on this, but I don't think we got official word of the ship date until they actually shipped them!

Looking back at my emails, sure enough, I got notified about shipping after they actually shipped. Same day though.
This discussion has been closed.