The TextBlade keyboard is superb, but you'll have to be patient

Comments

• Reply 1101 of 1615
    Hmm.. this is not good place to ask questions?

What is best place? Is it '[email protected]'? How about 'Waytools_Support'?
  • Reply 1102 of 1615
    >I did some more research on sakura and it seems the title in our band books (sakura sakura) should be "cherry blossoms cherry blossoms". No idea why the books that also give the translation only say it once though. Also found some stuff that in Japan the song is sometimes just called "sakura" and other times "Sakura Sakura".

>And I finally found an English translation of the lyrics and it starts out repeating it. 

>So I guess the music books were just a bit careless in their translating. Thanks.

You're welcome! 
    I was told "sakura" == "cherry blossom" by someone who speaks English and Japanese (and Korean, Mandarin and Russian too :O). I thought maybe she is confused :) I know a song with title "sayonara sayonara" but I don't know song called "sakura sakura"... It's Japanese song...?

Do you work at Waytools and you are using textblade? Then maybe you can answer me: is this keyboard soft to type with, for a 60 year old woman with small hands and arthritis (left hand)? You don't have small hands and arthritis, but please just imagine.
  • Reply 1103 of 1615
    > Yes, I ignore things Mark Knighton says because after 4+ years
    Then I guess they'll be no more asking him questions from you :)
    Mark hasn't provided a direct answer to anyone's questions, so it hardly matters whether the questions are asked or not. Mark is too busy acting like a pedantic child, publicly bickering with all the people he has ripped off. And you are just a troll. Useless.

> Mark Knighton lacks the money and the technical resources to ever bring the Textblade to market.
    Which is based on zero facts.
    Actually I have a bucket full of facts to support those assertions.

> Mark Knighton withholds the real reasons why the Textblade has not been completed or released.
    Which would require you KNOW the real reasons. But you don't have access the needed information. Neither do I and I have more info than you.
    You have no clue what I know Kahuna. Mark has backed himself into a corner with all of his stupid lies. He cannot tell people the real reasons for the product delay after lying for so long. The lies have become too big and too many. He dug himself into a hole, and then he kept digging, for 4+ years. You will understand, soon enough.

• Reply 1104 of 1615
    For security, bluetooth is forbidden for both dongle BT and built-in BT or any type of BT.
    Too bad, but maybe they'll get that wired version out soon.
    Kahuna - why are you misleading @onnanoshiro like that?

@onnanoshiro - it has been 4+ years since people paid for their Textblade keyboard. No one has received a finished Textblade, wireless or wired, and no one ever will. A good gift for a family member is a gift they have a chance of receiving.

If hell freezes over, the wireless Textblade with 5 year old batteries and an ancient version of Bluetooth might be released, and then if hell thaws out and warms up again, perhaps the wired version might be offered for sale a few years after that.

edited May 2019
  • Reply 1105 of 1615

I don't feel like you know what an estimate means in a business context. For example, if a contractor gives an estimate for a project, and I take them up on it and pay them, they can't just unilaterally change the price afterwards and claim "It was jut an estimate! I was surprised by something so now it is going to cost more!"
    Except I see all kinds of delays in projects. Especially govt funded projects. And massive price changes.

Besides, I view estimates on new tech far differently than estimates on established things.
    Yes, and those delays and massive price changes are generally seen as unethical and not something you can get out of by just saying "But it was just an *estimate*!" In business, estimates are binding.

And just because you view estimates on new tech differently than on established things doesn't change the fact that estimates are binding in both old tech businesses and new tech businesses.
  • Reply 1106 of 1615
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member

It's Japanese song...?

Do you work at Waytools and you are using textblade? Then maybe you can answer me: is this keyboard soft to type with, for a 60 year old woman with small hands and arthritis (left hand)? You don't have small hands and arthritis, but please just imagine.
    Apparently a Japanese folk song:

I don't work at WayTools. I was selected from their customers to be a Treg tester so I've been using it since March 28, 2016.

I'm not sure what you mean by "soft to type with". I do think it has great feel though. Hard to say how it would work with a woman like you describe. The keys have far less reach, so small hands should work. The arthritis is harder to address. While the smaller reach should help there too, it is possible that the fact that there are multiple characters on each keycap could be more of an issue if she has trouble controlling her fingers. I mean, if they tend to drift, you may get the wrong character.

Ultimately, it is something she'd just have to try. Assuming it ever reaches general release, it does have a return policy if you don't like it.
  • Reply 1107 of 1615
    weirdosmurf - hundreds of TextBlades from production-tooled molds and processes have shipped to paying customers.  
    Reiterating my point about there being 2 types of customers: saying that you've "shipped to paying customers" implies that the TREGgers own the TextBlades that they've received. But they don't. 

1) They are still under NDA; no matter how lenient the NDA is, if you truly own an item you aren't bound by an NDA. 

2) From what I understand, people in the Test Release Group are not permitted to sell their TextBlades to someone else. Or give them away. Can they even loan them to people? (My understanding was no, but I could be wrong about this.) That is not ownership.

3) If I understand correctly, WayTools can also require TREGgers to return their TextBlades. Even if WayTools isn't likely to do so or never intends to do so, it still means that TREGgers don't own the TextBlades in their "possession".

I'm just trying to make it clear to everyone that this "shipping to hundreds of customers" statement doesn't mean that those customers have had their orders fulfilled. They are still in the "customers waiting for their orders" category. Saying that they are "happy customers" or "paying customers" or whatever is highly misleading.

Note: please do not refund my order.
    arkorott
  • Reply 1108 of 1615
    > Mark Knighton lacks the money and the technical resources to ever bring the Textblade to market.
    Which is based on zero facts.
    Actually I have a bucket full of facts to support those assertions.
    Yet you haven't posted any facts to support that assertion.

TextBladeDenied said:

Kahuna - why are you misleading @onnanoshiro like that?

@onnanoshiro - it has been 4+ years since people paid for their Textblade keyboard. No one has received a finished Textblade, wireless or wired, and no one ever will. 

If hell freezes over, the wireless Textblade with 5 year old batteries and an ancient version of Bluetooth might be released, and then if hell thaws out and warms up again, perhaps the wired version might be offered for sale a few years after that.

No misleading. Since I don't know enough inside info to know when it might ship, I said "maybe". Unlike you who knows no more - probably less - than I do, yet claim as FACT that no one will ever receive a finished TB. But then talk about how it might. So, kinda weird!
  • Reply 1109 of 1615
    Another thing I have a serious issue with--the use of the term "shipped" in the statement above.

Just like "customer" has 2 meanings, "shipped" also has 2 meanings:

1) Delivered by mail.
    2) Fulfilled an order.

WayTools' statement conflates these meanings too. It is technically correct about the former definition, but it implies the latter definition. This is also highly misleading.
  • Reply 1110 of 1615
    patientlywaiting said:

Yes, and those delays and massive price changes are generally seen as unethical and not something you can get out of by just saying "But it was just an *estimate*!" In business, estimates are binding.

And just because you view estimates on new tech differently than on established things doesn't change the fact that estimates are binding in both old tech businesses and new tech businesses.
    Yet they happen all the time, especially in govt funded projects. In fact, that seems to be the norm so something sure isn't binding.

The idea that something new can be assigned any binding time frame seems silly to me. Someone may say, "If you can't finish it by X date, then we are canceling the contract", that is one thing. But new tech doesn't always follow a hoped for schedule no matter how much you want it to.patientlywaiting said:
    I'm just trying to make it clear to everyone that this "shipping to hundreds of customers" statement doesn't mean that those customers have had their orders fulfilled. They are still in the "customers waiting for their orders" category. Saying that they are "happy customers" or "paying customers" or whatever is highly misleading.
    Well, fine, our orders were not "fulfilled". But we were shipped a TextBlade and we are customers.
  • Reply 1111 of 1615

For security, bluetooth is forbidden for both dongle BT and built-in BT or any type of BT.

All I know is sakura is "cherry blossom" in English. It's somebody told me. Do you mean sakura means something else? Maybe. Maybe sakura is something else to botanist? Or pro flower arranger? I don't know. I only know what normal Japanese know I guess. Normal Japanese hear sakura maybe 10 times a day... in commercials, comics, magazines, even while gambling! So maybe I'm translating badly. If I do that, I'm sorry.
    Too bad, but maybe they'll get that wired version out soon.
    I think onnanoshiro was saying that any sort of BT was forbidden in the device even if it wasn't actually being used. So unless WayTools releases a wired-only TextBlade, I think onnanoshiro is out of luck.
  • Reply 1112 of 1615
    Hi @dabigkahuna ;

>Apparently a Japanese folk song:

Ah! Yes I know this! My friends may not know :(
    This is song to celebrate Spring. This is very old music before Meiji I think. Ha ha ha! You play this? In America?

My mother's arthritis makes her weak in two last fingers. They are not strong and so keys must need less pressure. Sorry for bad description.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1113 of 1615
    dabigkahuna said:

Yet they happen all the time, especially in govt funded projects. In fact, that seems to be the norm so something sure isn't binding.
    You can agree to changes and negotiate changes, but you can't unilaterally change them without being on the hook for it. Yes, companies frequently do unilaterally change their estimates all the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't legally binding--usually it means that the customer doesn't find it worth it to file a claim. Filing claims takes a lot of time and money and it sours relationships. But just because you can get away with unilaterally changing estimates doesn't make it OK.

The "everyone else does it" excuse is not a very good one. Especially if WayTools want to hold itself to a higher standard.
    dabigkahuna said:
    Well, fine, our orders were not "fulfilled". But we were shipped a TextBlade and we are customers.
    Yes, that's what I'm pointing out--while there is a tortured way of reading it that keeps it technically true, it is highly misleading.
  • Reply 1114 of 1615
    patientlywaiting said:

I think onnanoshiro was saying that any sort of BT was forbidden in the device even if it wasn't actually being used. So unless WayTools releases a wired-only TextBlade, I think onnanoshiro is out of luck.
    If lo, that would be unfortunate. I'd be surprised if they came out with a strictly wired TB. At least for the foreseeable future.

> You can agree to changes and negotiate changes, but you can't unilaterally change them without being on the hook for it. Yes, companies frequently do unilaterally change their estimates all the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't legally binding--usually it means that the customer doesn't find it worth it to file a claim.

Considering how these projects can cost millions of overruns, or even billions, I find it hard to believe it isn't worth their time!

• Reply 1115 of 1615
    Hi @dabigkahuna ;

>Apparently a Japanese folk song:

Ah! Yes I know this! My friends may not know :(
    This is song to celebrate Spring. This is very old music before Meiji I think. Ha ha ha! You play this? In America?

My mother's arthritis makes her weak in two last fingers. They are not strong and so keys must need less pressure. Sorry for bad description.
    I've seen a fair amount of stuff that seems to make spring a big deal in Japan, such as when schools start.

I can't recall what beginner band books have Sakura included, but I've seen it a lot. I just looked at the jwpepper music store (very big in U.S.) and it has hundreds of concert arrangements of it.

It isn't that your description is bad - it that it is darn near impossible to describe such things in a way that one can really understand what effect it would have on using the TB. The keys, in my opinion, don't take much pressure though. But that's a relative thing. Since they don't have to stretch out so far to reach the keys, I would think you'd have better leverage anyway.

Back to Japanese music, I have always been truly impressed with their bands.

For example, this pre-k group. It's a terrible video, but amazing what these little kids do. I've seen many high school bands in the U.S. that don't march as well!

Or this elementary concert band which, near as I could figure out, must not be older than 6th grade:

There are few HS bands I've seen who sound this good.

Finally, this girls high school marching band. Gorgeous, big trumpet solo at the start, wonderful band blend, tone, and technique and, finally, how the heck do they play so well when doing those dance steps starting about 5:10? They still sound better than most bands do standing still!

After discovering this band, I've watched many other videos of them, especially parades. They do these and many other steps most of the time and they play darn near non-stop, even in long parades like when they come to the Rose Bowl parade in the U.S. That's 5.5 miles of that stuff! Most bands lips would fall off long before that!

Really incredible stuff.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1116 of 1615
    weirdosmurfweirdosmurf Posts: 101member
    weirdosmurf - hundreds of TextBlades from production-tooled molds and processes have shipped to paying customers.  

That’s not general release yet, but it is an important accomplishment, and customers like it.  Those are good things.

We know why folks who want to interfere with general release would talk-down what’s already been achieved.
    It’s not often I agree with dbk, but his point below is, I think, correct:
    >...but I do thing Mark views it as a big deal to have shipped to any customers, even if it is Treg. After all, to be okay with doing that, he had to have felt he crossed an important boundary in development...

The problem (as you can see just from the responses in this forum) is that you have written this statement in this way to make yourself feel validated and don’t seem to appreciate how it antagonises or aggravates many of your customers. Failing to acknowledge and appreciate this point is one of the things which may cause people to come to a conclusion that you have contempt for many of your customers - you have pointed out [to you] what and why your words upset people and you simply double down on your statement.

I’d also point out that your words “...and customers like it.” is another thing that triggers people. Your use of the term “customers” in this context (without specifying it’s only a subset of customers) comes across in a very vague, all-encompassing way: i.e it implies all customers love it when there is [presumably] a much, much, much larger subset of your customers who cannot possibly “like it” since they’ve never laid eyes on one...

Shipped to customers” is sufficiently vague as to be mistaken by a reasonable person to mean oh, they’ve started general release, and “customers like it...” can similarly be easily mistaken as oh, their whole customer base are happy with the situation... If you maintain the vagueness of these statements then it’s understandable people might conclude that you are happy with the confusing terminology - again, that triggers people... I can tell you with absolute certainty it will antagonise people and I presume that’s something you would avoid wherever possible and I also presume you actively try to empathise with your existing customers as well as chasing future ones...

I presume no vendor intends to piss off their customers so that’s why I have made an attempt to give you feedback - you aren’t required to accept it and act on it, but knowing what antagonises and frustrates people and continuing to do so would be... well, it would be contemptuous of your customers... If you need to go to the trouble of the second sentence “that’s not general release yet...” then the initial sentence is clearly insufficient to give context and shouldn’t be used in isolation as you have been doing up to this point (I’m suggesting you actually go to the trouble of changing the text on your website any time the term “shipped to customers...” appears).

I appreciate you’ve attempted to clarify that you’re not in general release, but sticking with that first line of text without qualifiers is misrepresentative of the actual situation and “misrepresentation” is a quality you yourself have used in shadow banning people from your forum.

alexonlinepoisednoisearkorott
  • Reply 1117 of 1615
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    WeirdoSmurf gets it. DBK and MK don’t. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 1118 of 1615
    WeirdoSmurf gets it. DBK and MK don’t. 
    That sounds biased :)

After all, I repeatedly point out both supportive and negative things about WT so, biased or not, I'm clearly am not limited by my bias. But most of those who criticize a lot tend to be all one way.
    edited May 2019 alexonline
  • Reply 1119 of 1615
    weirdosmurfweirdosmurf Posts: 101member
    Oh, an I forgot to add:
    Your public communication and website information are ways to communicate and inform that subset of your customers who don’t have a TextBlade. You already have channels and methods for communicating internally and with the testers who have one. Using those two groups (internal company and TREG) as your perspective when communicating to everyone who does not have a TextBlade yet might be one of the reasons you are so... umm... “misunderstood”...

You need to get a little better (and everyone can “be better”...) at placing yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn’t have their TextBlade yet when talking to those people. That is not an easy thing to do, which is why I’d humbly suggest employing a public relations officer who has expertise is this sort of thing...
    alexonline
  • Reply 1120 of 1615
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    WeirdoSmurf gets it. DBK maybe partially gets it. MK gets his thrills and gets off from telling us all, in so many words, to get lost (and get a refund).
This discussion has been closed.