Early reviews of Samsung's $2K Galaxy Fold marred by many broken screens [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netmage said:
    I don't think lkrupp wants Samsung to get a pass, just expects the media to give them one because they aren't Apple.
    Sarcasm is tough to get across. Some get it, some take everything literally. That’s why we have /s or <sarcasm>, which I forgot.
    ericthehalfbeeguscatcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 69
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    apple ][ said:
    That's one of the differences between Apple and most other companies imo.

Apple will usually not release something until it's ready for primetime and the experience is great.
    <cough> Butterfly keyboards <cough>
    tyler82radarthekatavon b7muthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 23 of 69
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Before it came out, what did I say about this phone ? Reliability and manageability.
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 69
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

The reason why the mobile is breaking is because they're holding them wrong.

No, they’re folding them wrong. 
    auxiomacplusplusGG1gilly33k2kwmagman1979guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 69
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    Samsung is first to market with a foldable phone. It’s a work in progress so expect some bumps in the road. Samsung gets a pass on this. You know it’s true. But if this were Apple it would be “DON’T THEY TEST THIS STUFF BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT?"
    I’m not at all surprised that they’re having issues, just that it happened so fast. If I had shelled out $2k for a preorder I’d be cancelling it 5 minutes ago. 

Not sure why you think Samsung should get a pass on this, though. Having failures within 48 hours is pretty bad. My exact thought was “DON’T THEY TEST THIS STUFF BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT?“
    He's not saying they should, merely that they are given a lot more leeway than Apple.
    Ah, ok. 

In that case, DON’T THEY TEST THIS STUFF BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT?
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 69
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    You are folding it wrong
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 69
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    gutengel said:
    BUT, DOES IT EXPLODE?! For 2K it better!!!
    The real question is Does it BLEND?
    rrrobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Well, that didn't take long.

Like I said, at best this is a version 3 product. Even if they get all the bugs out for version 2, it won't really be ready for prime time until version 3. If it gets that far. I'm certainly glad they priced it so high that I didn't feel tempted to get one just to see how the hinge behaved after extended use.

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 69
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”
    — Ian Malcolm
    magman1979AppleMac@76watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 69
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I have to laugh at people saying at least a Samsung is trying. I’m sorry but you try in the labs not in public. By the time a device gets released to the public it should not have a glaring flaws like this.
    JinTecholswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 69
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    You're folding it wrong
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 69
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Maybe that’s why Huawei went with the screen on the outside. Of course thats nearly as bad
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 69
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

The reason why the mobile is breaking is because they're holding them wrong.

Wait... 

“you’re (p)holding it wrong.”
    DAalsethGG1olsmagman1979StrangeDaysstewartswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 69
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Maybe by version 4.  And yes, I do see the parallel with the third castle and the Note 7.  Lol

https://youtu.be/w82CqjaDKmA
    anomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Wow. This is awful even by Samsung standards. They really managed to lower the bar here.
    anantksundaramolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Maybe by version 4.  And yes, I do see the parallel with the third castle and the Note 7.  Lol

https://youtu.be/w82CqjaDKmA

Or maybe version 5, if you go by the problems with the Babylon stations.

They built the Babylon station as a place to establish peace in the galaxy, and it blew up.

So they built Babylon 2, and it blew up.

Then they built Babylon 3, which was blown up by terrorists.

Next, they built Babylon 4, which got sucked down a time warp, into the first Shadow war and then blew up.

But the fifth one stayed up!

edited April 2019 rrrobk2kwradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    lkrupp said:
    Samsung is first to market with a foldable phone. It’s a work in progress so expect some bumps in the road. Samsung gets a pass on this. You know it’s true. But if this were Apple it would be “DON’T THEY TEST THIS STUFF BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT?"
    This is something I really don’t understand. I could expect that they don’t last as long as they say. 200,000 folds is a lot of folds after all. But maybe they would start breaking after 100,000, even 50,000. But this amazes me. Unless this first batch is faulty, it makes no sense.
    1stwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 69
    What else is new with these people.

I am predicting battery explosions next on these devices.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 69
    rrrobrrrob Posts: 18member
    JinTech said:
    Samsung Customer Service Rep: "Just don't fold it and you will be fine"

"Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"

"Then don’t do that!"
    JinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 69
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    They get a pass on broken product that’s days away from release to consumers?