Renders of '2019 iPhone' depict square camera bump as part of rear glass

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2019
New renders of what the 2019 iPhone lineup could look like have been published, continuing to depict the long-rumored triple camera setup with a bump made from the rear glass of the device, as well as suggesting the notch and bezels will reduce to provide users with a seemingly higher screen-to-phone proportion.

The rear of the render uses a single glass panel for the back and the camera bump.
The rear of the render uses a single glass panel for the back and the camera bump.

Rumors about the triple-lens camera setup have largely agreed on Apple's use of a square camera bump to hold all of the imaging sensors, though there is still some debate as to how the lenses will be arranged within that bump. Depending on the rumor, the four elements are either to be placed equidistant in quadrants or the lenses will be in an offset "triangle."

In new renders from CashKaro and serial leaker Onleaks, the 2019 iPhone will opt for the triangular formation, with the flash in the top right hand corner. The camera bump is shown to be part of the same glass back rather than a separate component, with no metal edge to protect the bump at all.

On the front, the 5.8-inch display will apparently benefit from having a smaller notch at the top, as well as slightly slimmer bezels than the iPhone XS, giving the appearance of there being more display despite being a physically similar size. The supposed dimensions of the device will be 143.9 by 71.4 millimeters, and 7.8 millimeters thick excluding the rear camera bump, 9 millimeters including.

The front has a smaller notch, thinner bezels, and a different sliding button.
The front has a smaller notch, thinner bezels, and a different sliding button.

Another element that is different from normal is a refined "mute" button, which resembles a version used in earlier iPad models that slides vertically. In this particular render, a Lightning port is used rather than USB-C.

The renders are allegedly based on the "final CAD renders of the device," though it is not advised of where the CAD files were sourced from. As with other rumors and "leaks" relating to the iPhone, there is no guarantee any are correct until Apple actually presents the smartphone at its usual September event.

The triple camera setup is thought to be an expansion on the established dual-camera version used in the iPhone XS, XS Max, and older models. Along with the usual wide and telephoto lenses, the third may offer a super-wide angle, though it could also have a different purpose, similar to the 3D depth mapping offered by an extra camera included in the 5G version of the Samsung Galaxy S10.

Previous rumors and leaks on the next iPhone generation have included a photograph allegedly showing the internal chassis of the device with the camera configuration depicted in the new render, a questionable manufacturing schematic, and claims it will have a "Wireless PowerShare" function to wirelessly charge devices like the Apple Watch and AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Does ANYONE think this is legit? I don’t.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    It’s ugly! 
    vukasikasuperkloton
  • Reply 3 of 33
    It would be less offensive if the bump was more central, maybe where the Apple logo is on the back.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Why not just make the thing 2.5mm thicker? Really. I do not get it.
    dewmeairnerdsuperklotoncrowley
  • Reply 5 of 33
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    cornchip said:
    And use the extra space for more battery!
    vukasikacornchipairnerdsuperklotoncrowley
  • Reply 6 of 33
    The iPhone XS is too thick as it is. I would prefer a thinner, lighter phone. The camera bump looks fine. It will be interesting to see why this configuration is required.
    thttmayJWSCStrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    lkrupp said:
    Does ANYONE think this is legit? I don’t.
    Mmmmm… yeah, I do. Too many rumors from different sources saying the same thing…
    gatorguychemenginkruegdudekestralcanukstormStrangeDaysdoozydozensuperkloton
  • Reply 8 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    The iPhone XS is too thick as it is. I would prefer a thinner, lighter phone. The camera bump looks fine. It will be interesting to see why this configuration is required.
    There was a rumor a couple weeks back that said Apple will have a coating on the lens cover glass that would make the cameras lens less visible. If true, it would look more like a monolithic round-rec of black glass.

I would like the phone to be thinner too, in the 6.5 mm range. I would buy an option where lower performance cameras modules are used so that they sit flush in the back of 6.5 mm thick device. This goes doubly so for the iPad Pro.
    macplusplusdoozydozensuperkloton
  • Reply 9 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    cornchip said:
    My theory is that they will keep adding lenses until the whole thing IS 2.5mm thicker.
    bigtdscornchipStrangeDaysdoozydozenIreneW
  • Reply 10 of 33
    The problem is that components are all fighting for the same resources, space on the inside of the phone. The battery, faceID, mlb and then all those lenses the Zoom the Super wide and in the next Gen the quad Copter blades for the flying selfies you tend to run out of space so you have to make it thinner 🤫
  • Reply 11 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I hope the new camera system is worth the ugliness.
    cornchipdoozydozenairnerd
  • Reply 12 of 33
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    The protruding bump would not be made with glass, as it would scratch up easily.  Apple uses sapphire to protect camera components.  While not very aesthetic, the square is economical and functional.
    watto_cobraAppleDumplingAppleDumpling
  • Reply 13 of 33
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    DAalseth said:
    cornchip said:
    My theory is that they will keep adding lenses until the whole thing IS 2.5mm thicker.
    Good one!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    It would be less offensive if the bump was more central, maybe where the Apple logo is on the back.
    It does look better more centrally located, but I doubt Apple would do that since it would make the iPhone look far too similar to the Mate Pro 20.  Some would probably say it would only be fair since others copy Apple all the time.   Pretty sure Apple wouldn't think of it that way though.  

Even though it looks better centrally located, it's still an ugly design imo.  Apple should do something else.  Considering these are still just rumors, chances are they will. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    cornchip said:
    It would weigh significantly more.

Something like 90% of users use cases, and the thickness of most cases "zeroes out" the lens protrusion. I'm not crazy about the current state of things but generally speaking I think Apple is making the right call here.
    cornchipStrangeDaysdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Time will tell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    cornchip said:
    It would weigh significantly more.

Something like 90% of users use cases, and the thickness of most cases "zeroes out" the lens protrusion. I'm not crazy about the current state of things but generally speaking I think Apple is making the right call here.
    Yeah...... I guess. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I hope the new camera system is worth the ugliness.
    It will be curious what the rationale for the triangular formation is. Who knows if Apple will brag about the triangular formation, so we may not know, but on the face of it, it’s not the most optimum way of packaging camera modules. The modules are usually square or rectangular.

Packaging them in a triangular manner seems like a waste of floor space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Still not buying it. (The render, not the phone, although I'm not due for a new one this year, either.)

I've been wrong before, but the large, square camera bump doesn't look like Apple. Three lenses in a row would be more Apple.

I get the idea about separating them on two axes, and the possible benefits, but it looks really ugly. Apple strikes me as trying to find another way to get the benefits without spoiling the aesthetic.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    This looks more like it to me.