Google's iPhone-challenging Pixel 3a XL spotted in the wild with 6-inch display

Posted:
in General Discussion
One of Google's anticipated mid-range Pixel phones, the Pixel 3a XL, has reportedly already been spotted at a Best Buy in Springfield, Ohio, setting the stage for Apple's next wave of competition.

Google Pixel 3a XL box leak

"Purple-ish" and "Just Black" models were seen in a cabinet, also apparently confirming the phone's 6-inch display, Android Police said. Design largely resembles the Pixel 3, including a rear-facing fingerprint sensor and single-lens camera.

Prices weren't yet applied to the boxes, but recent leaks have indicated that a 64-gigabyte 3a XL will cost $479 versus the 5.6-inch 3a's $399. Google is expected to announce both phones at its I/O developer keynote on May 7.

The company is still relatively new to the world of self-designed smartphones, its older "Nexus" line having been developed in collaboration with partners like HTC. The Pixel's marketshare remains in the minority, but has already grown to become the third-most popular "premium" brand in North America behind Apple and Samsung, according to Counterpoint Research.

The Pixel line is distinct from other Android phones mainly for using a relatively "vanilla" version of the OS, whereas others often have skins, extra apps, and/or interface changes. Partly because of this Pixel phones are usually the first to get the latest versions of Android.

Google has however placed a special emphasis on photography, making the Pixel 3 one of the best-rated phones in that area. This includes technologies like "Night Sight," which brings out more details in dark images, and software-based portrait bokeh -- something the Pixel 3 had before Apple launched it with the iPhone XR.

The 3a and 3a XL could pose a challenge to Apple as without a follow-up to the iPhone SE, the company lacks any new phones below the XR's $749. The closest equivalent is 2016's iPhone 7, which still starts at $449.

Other things predicted for Google I/O include more details on Android Q and Stadia, its multi-platform cloud gaming service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Really want to like Pixels but their performance drop off over time is pretty terrible.  Great cameras can't overcome that issue.  There's just no excuse since other Android OEM's don't suffer performance drops as severely as Pixels... and they're running skins.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Google still makes phones?
    Metriacanthosauruslkrupp2770 LorcaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Really want to like Pixels but their performance drop off over time is pretty terrible.  Great cameras can't overcome that issue.  There's just no excuse since other Android OEM's don't suffer performance drops as severely as Pixels... and they're running skins.
    I'm not seeing much performance drop-off on my OG Pixel, but I don't use it for intensive tasks best done with another device anyway. But yeah I get for some folks that might be their only computing device so different needs. I don't see the new mid-rangers as iPhone threats anyway. They're intended for a different market segment than Apple generally plays in. 

In my case I've personally chosen to stick with a second hand Pixel for the updates, feature enhancements unique to the Pixel line, and security. For those things it's great. The sub-$200 pricing was a bonus. I could certainly afford a brand new premium priced smartphone, but it would not serve any particular purpose to do so. They wouldn't fill any need this older model doesn't already. 
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 38
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    At least their pricing has become more reasonable.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    gatorguy said:
    I'm not seeing much performance drop-off on my OG Pixel, but I don't use it for intensive tasks best done with another device anyway. But yeah I get for some folks that might be their only computing device so different needs. 

In my case I've chosen to stick with a second hand Pixel for the updates (now running the 4th version of the OS it shipped with), feature enhancements unique to the Pixel line, and security. For those things it's great. The sub-$200 pricing was a bonus. 
    I know anecdotes and all, but my sisters 2 visibly stutters and lags.  My old S7 is more fluid.  The interwebs are littered with diehard Pixel lovers lamenting the performance drop off.  Hopefully whatever issues that seemed to plague the 2 have been sorted and won't affect the 3.  I want to give 'em a try but not if it's going to degrade by my month 6.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Google's iPhone-what?

Lol oh man. Don't make me laugh. There are like 6 people total outside of YouTube idiots walking around actually using a Pixel
    2770 LorcaStrangeDayswilliamlondonracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    I'm not seeing much performance drop-off on my OG Pixel, but I don't use it for intensive tasks best done with another device anyway. But yeah I get for some folks that might be their only computing device so different needs. I don't see the new mid-rangers as iPhone threats anyway. They're intended for a different market segment than Apple generally plays in. 

In my case I've personally chosen to stick with a second hand Pixel for the updates, feature enhancements unique to the Pixel line, and security. For those things it's great. The sub-$200 pricing was a bonus. I could certainly afford a brand new premium priced smartphone, but it would not serve any particular purpose to do so. They wouldn't fill any need this older model doesn't already. 
    Any idea why Pixels aren’t selling very well at all? Everything I read indicates really poor sales. Yesterday I read an article saying Google is blaming Verizon for it. The headline claims the Pixel 3a is “challenging” the iPhone. How can it be challenging the iPhone when it’s not selling.
    edited May 2019 StrangeDayschaickawilliamlondonracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Any idea why Pixels aren’t selling very well at all? Everything I read indicates really poor sales. Yesterday I read an article saying Google is blaming Verizon for it. The headline claims the Pixel 3a is “challenging” the iPhone. How can it be challenging the iPhone when it’s not selling.
    Just because something isn't winning, doesn't mean that it isn't a challenger.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    so this is a dick measuring contest now
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Samsung has tighter relationships with the carriers, and most Android buyers are "I dunno just give me a phone" types who buy whatever the register biscuit tells them. Also, SPIFFs: https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/08/13/att-and-verizon-prefer-to-sell-a-samsung-smartphon.aspx

I suspect the carriers are also afraid that if Google got more traction, they'd behave more like Apple than Samsung w/r/t updates and keeping control of their platform. Samsung gives no fucks.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ipride362ipride362 Posts: 4member
    If the Pixel 3 can't even compete with Galaxy S, how is the 3a going to compete with Apple?
    lkruppStrangeDayschaickawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member

Even if the device itself goes toe to toe with iPhone in terms of functionality, the Pixel sells in such tiny numbers it is hard to argue that it is providing any sort of “challenge” to Apple’s IPhone business.
    rob531STnTENDERBITSStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

I don't know what "not selling well" means. Is it not meeting (too) rosey expectations or actually failing to sell in any meaningful numbers. Maybe Google quoted the actual numbers someplace.

I noticed in the AI article that the Pixel line was now ranked at number three in US premium sales which doesn't seem to equate with "not selling" period. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 14 of 38
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

I don't know what "not selling well" means. Is it not meeting (too) rosey expectations or actually failing to sell in any meaningful numbers. Maybe Google quoted the actual numbers someplace.

I noticed in the AI article that the Pixel line was now ranked at number three in US premium sales which doesn't seem to equate with "not selling" period. 

"Does Google want significant market share? If so, is it willing to spend whatever it takes and take on Samsung, Huawei, Oppo etc etc? If not, why is it making the phone? Is it really having any real influence on the rest of the industry? Is option value enough?"

Number three in Premium sales at low volumes is a thing, I guess.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 38
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

"Does Google want significant market share? If so, is it willing to spend whatever it takes and take on Samsung, Huawei, Oppo etc etc? If not, why is it making the phone? Is it really having any real influence on the rest of the industry? Is option value enough?"

Yes, it could be.

Maybe they have what they believe to be rationale plans to supplant Sammy at #2. Maybe not. Perhaps they're satisfied for now with how the line is progressing even if investors want to grumble and thus some excuse to appease them must be made. Or maybe they're not. The line isn't close to 4 years old yet, and building mindshare and relationships takes time. At this stage Apple's iPhone was playing long distance second fiddle to Nokia and essentially tied with Blackberry. The Android OEM's were even farther behind.

Things do change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for worse.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 16 of 38
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Yes, it could be.

Maybe they have what they believe to be rationale plans to supplant Sammy at #2. Maybe not. Perhaps they're satisfied for now with how the line is progressing even if investors want to grumble and thus some excuse to appease them must be made. Or maybe they're not. The line isn't close to 4 years old yet, and building mindshare and relationships takes time. At this stage Apple's iPhone was playing long distance second fiddle to Nokia and essentially tied with Blackberry. The Android OEM's were even farther behind.

Isn't it infinitely more likely that Google has money to blow on experiments like smartphones? Even when they amount to absolutely nothing?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

That only applies on tech blogs where there has to be conflict, argument, and a winner/loser.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    It is Orange vs Apple comparison.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Yes, it could be.

Isn't it infinitely more likely that Google has money to blow on experiments like smartphones? Even when they amount to absolutely nothing?
    That can't be ruled out either, but going pretty extreme claiming it it to "infinitely" likely LOL. IMO very UN-likely considering the investment in people, marketing, support arrangements and production commitments. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 20 of 38
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Google said that the Pixel 3 models has lower YoY sales than the Pixel 2 models. From Google Pixel 3 is a sales disappointment, sells less than the Pixel 2 :
    Here's the full quote from Alphabet and Google CFO Ruth Porat:

Hardware results reflect lower year-on-year sales of Pixel, reflecting in part heavy promotional activity industry-wide given some of the recent pressures in the premium smartphone market.
    Obviously nobody has an exact idea on how many devices Google as actually sold for any of their branded models.