Apple shipped 4.5M iPhone XRs in North America last quarter, estimates say

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    lkrupp said:

jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, here’s what’s going on in the comment section at another Apple tech blog...

Lenovo is up 42%, Apple is down 19%, therefore Lenovo FTW and Apple is on the way out. I didn't know that Lenovo even made smartphones. In other news Google’s smartphone sales are lumped in with “Others” apparently, because they are so insignificant?
    Why do you do that?  Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 
    There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  
    {snipped for brevity}
    Is Macrumors the only other Apple tech blog?  I didn’t see the OP specifically mention any site by name ? Unless he edited the post ? 
    MR isn't the only tech blog.  lkrupp likes to pop in there from time to time to try to stir the pot by slinging arrows.  When I saw his comment I knew the exact comments he was addressing because there weren't that many at the time.  I'd bet good money he'd tell you those comments were the exact comments he was addressing.  It definitely wasn't 9to5 because I am still the only person to comment on their article. I noted they left out the fact that the XR was the #1 selling phone in Q1.  
    Maybe the “world” isn’t against Apple but the comment sections of tech blogs certainly are, in spades. And opinion is not truth. When someone posts, “Siri sucks” that’s not truth. Reports like this one are not truth. When the attacks are absolutely predictable, coming with each and every article published, that says something. So those constantly expressing negativity about Apple are being objective with their opinions but those who support Apple are just fanboys. Is that how the tech blog world operates? What exactly are truth and facts in an anonymous tech blog comment section?
    Six of one. Half a dozen of the other.

Excepting the people who have anti this or that (company) slants, comments are fairly balanced but shaped by opinion.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    lkrupp said:
    mike54 said:
    As a contrast, the market share outside North America is very different.
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of sales by Samsung and others are NOT their flagship products but low end stuff. This report does not separate the two markets. So if your objective was to point out that Apple has lower market share outside of North America that’s not quite true when taking into consideration what market Apple sells in.
    yep. would be VERY entertaining to see which models sold in what numbers.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    lkrupp said:

{snipped for brevity}
    MR isn't the only tech blog.  lkrupp likes to pop in there from time to time to try to stir the pot by slinging arrows.  When I saw his comment I knew the exact comments he was addressing because there weren't that many at the time.  I'd bet good money he'd tell you those comments were the exact comments he was addressing.  It definitely wasn't 9to5 because I am still the only person to comment on their article. I noted they left out the fact that the XR was the #1 selling phone in Q1.  
    Maybe the “world” isn’t against Apple but the comment sections of tech blogs certainly are, in spades. And opinion is not truth. When someone posts, “Siri sucks” that’s not truth. Reports like this one are not truth. When the attacks are absolutely predictable, coming with each and every article published, that says something. So those constantly expressing negativity about Apple are being objective with their opinions but those who support Apple are just fanboys. Is that how the tech blog world operates? What exactly are truth and facts in an anonymous tech blog comment section?
    We 100% agree that a certain percentage of people commenting on forums are going to be in that category of "other people like it so I must hate it".  That's not exclusive to Apple forums, but since we're on one, I'll focus my comments to people on Apple forums.  We 100% agree that the content of their comments are entirely predictable.  No matter the topic, they will find a way to be negative about it.  There's nothing Apple could do to elicit honest criticism (positive or negative) from that group.  I think you and I can also 100% agree their comments are annoying.  Our agreement diverges when it comes to the mirror group.  The group that sees no wrong in Apple and defends every action regardless of merit.  Their comments are just predictable and equally annoying.  But they don't see it because they think they're somehow different since they are defending Apple, they must be in the right... often using the all too common refrain "this is an Apple site" as if that's justification for anything.  Someone says something positive about a competitor?  Aw hell naw, lemme git up in there and throw doo doo.  

Those two groups are just different sides of the same coin.  I look at them as the opposite of ANC... ANM if you will.  Where active noise cancellation nullifies noise with sound 180 degrees out phase, active noise making amplifies that chaotic discourse with a mix of entirely predictable meme level retorts that we can all recite in unison.  Contributions from both sides tend to lead to threads full of hot garbage.  Fortunately, most forum members aren't in those two groups.  Unfortunately, some topics are a clarion call to the ANM group.  None of us are perfect, but no one should want to be in either of those groups if we can help it.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 25
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, here’s what’s going on in the comment section at another Apple tech blog...

Lenovo is up 42%, Apple is down 19%, therefore Lenovo FTW and Apple is on the way out. I didn't know that Lenovo even made smartphones. In other news Google’s smartphone sales are lumped in with “Others” apparently, because they are so insignificant?
    Why do you do that?  Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 
    There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  The one mentioning the 42% is this one: "Wow. 42% growth. Never even seen a Lenovo phone, on the net or otherwise."  That was some guy surprised by Lenovo's growth and acknowledging he's never seen a Lenovo phone.  There's a good reason.  Lenovo doesn't make a phone, Motorola does.  Lenovo just owns Motorola.  Nothing about Apple and definitely nothing negative about Apple. 

The other comment about Lenovo is this one: "The mobile market as a whole was down 18%, so Apple only did 1% worse. The only big winner against the down market was Lenovo, whose main innovation was keeping prices way down. That's Apple missing innovation."  That's a comment that's saying Lenovo won against a down market (which is true), not that Apple is on the way out.  It's also saying that Lenovo's innovation was basically lower pricing and Apple needs lower pricing.

It's like you only know negativity.  Google's smartphone sales have always been in the Other category.  They've never been significant enough to be anything other than Other.  Couple that with the fact that their Pixels are only sold by one carrier (Verizon)... the numbers are sure to be small.  Although Google had nothing to do with that thread, you still had the need to lkrupp it.  You need some happiness in your life bud.  Curmudgeon is not a good look. Do this.  Go to Youtube.  Type this in the search box:  True facts about... then pick any animal that's suggested.  zefrank1 will make you smile for 2-6 minutes.  You're welcome.  
    Lenovo do make phones. As someone who uses android and iOS I have a Lenovo P2 phone. It is a good phone but hasn’t had a single update since I got it over two years ago.