Apple could have used pinhole-sized sensors in display to keep Touch ID on the iPhone X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

The only 2 places where I prefer TouchID are:

1. As others have stated, when the phone is lying on the table, or when I'm in bed and hold the phone horizonally.

2. When making an iTunes purchase. It's easier to just put my finger on the Home button, rather than double-clicking the power button, especially when using the big-ass XS Max!

In all other scenarios, I love FaceID.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    esummers said:
    I like Face ID.  I just wish it had a wider field of view or at least detected that it was too close to your face and waited for you to move the phone away. 

In some cases a wider field of view might be handy.  A friend of mine mounts his iPhone XR on the central dash of his car and his complaint is that he can’t unlock it easily while driving.  Bending over to the center console while driving isn’t a terribly good idea anyway.  So I asked him why he didn’t just use Siri to do whatever it was he wanted.  He said, oh, yea I suppose I could do that.

Conversely, a wider field of view has the drawback of people unintentionally unlocking their iPhones just by being in close proximity to the screen.  That’s not good either.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    elijahg said:
    I'd imagine this wouldn't work for long since it uses light, and those pinholes would quickly become full of light blocking gunk. Acoustic methods seem much more robust.
    Also make me wonder about waterproofing.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    melliott said:
    13485 said:
    Technically feasible I suppose, but the holes would quickly fill with lint, epithelials and other junk in short order.
    The holes being proposed were not in the cover glass. Basically tiny holes in the space between pixels in the LCD/OLED layer.

13485 said:
    Technically feasible I suppose, but the holes would quickly fill with lint, epithelials and other junk in short order.
    elijahg said:
    I'd imagine this wouldn't work for long since it uses light, and those pinholes would quickly become full of light blocking gunk. Acoustic methods seem much more robust.
    It looks like there may have been holes in the glass also, but from the diagram it doesn’t look like it would matter if stuff got in them (or they may have been from the underside of the glass and not through holes. At any rate it appears the sensors are set at an angle to bounce/receive reflected light off the surface of the cover glass which is then transmitted through the other holes in the actual screen. Quite clever methinks.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    If you look at the diagram, the holes aren't exposed to the atmosphere or elements, but are encapsulated and covered.

esummers said:
    I like Face ID.  I just wish it had a wider field of view or at least detected that it was too close to your face and waited for you to move the phone away. 
    As mentioned, it would be easier for a user to unintentionally unlock their phone. But it would also be easier for someone else to deliberately unlock the users phone. 

I use Touch ID but my phone is mounted high on an air vent, so I imagine FID wouldn't be a problem. I use Siri for several things but if Siri's told to take me to an address or location, the phone has to then be unlocked.
    watto_cobra