First look: Mac Pro and Apple Pro Display XDR [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Great looking machine!

I pity anybody who doesn't like the design.

After Apple's misfire with the previous circular Mac Pro, this design brings the Mac Pro line back on the right track again. Awesome industrial design and the expandability options certainly seem to be good. I also like that it has a 1.4K Power Supply! I've been saying for ages that Apple should go all out for their Pro machines. This isn't some little portable device which needs to conserve energy! Make it powerful, put whatever you need into it to get the job done, and it seems like Apple has done exactly that!

pscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 42 of 134
    [...]
    - Max RAM is 1.5TB, not 2TB. (Tells us something interesting about the Xeons being used, they're the first M series)
    [...]
    [Graphic showing 2TB max RAM]

The above graphic is from Apple's specs on the Mac Pro at Apple.com
    Ah. Now I understand. It is in fact the newer generation chip, which support addressing 2TB physical RAM. However, there are only 12 DIMM slots. So, until 256GB DIMMs become real (at a price apiece lower than the cost of the entire Mac Pro - they're currently around $6k each, if you can find them at all), you're limited to already-expensive 128GB DIMMs. 128GBx12 = 1.5TB.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 134
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    ensoniq said:
    What left me annoyed, even as a casual user who would never buy one of these, was the 256 GB SSD included as standard storage in the base model.  I'm sorry...but if I am spending $6000 for an Apple workstation, designed for pro level work, anything less than 512 GB standard is just a slap in the face.  
    If they had shipped 512GB as standard you’d have said anything less than 1TB was a slap in the face.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysfastasleeppscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 44 of 134
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    The Pro Stand resembles the iMac G4 display arm in functionality, with the addition of rotation, and is an additional $999 purchase. A VESA adapter is $199. The display does come with a basic stand.
    The display comes with a basic stand? That hasn’t been mentioned anywhere else, including Apple. Is there a source for this info?
    dysamoriapscooter63h2p
  • Reply 45 of 134
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    mr lizard said:
    The Pro Stand resembles the iMac G4 display arm in functionality, with the addition of rotation, and is an additional $999 purchase. A VESA adapter is $199. The display does come with a basic stand.
    The display comes with a basic stand? That hasn’t been mentioned anywhere else, including Apple. Is there a source for this info?
    Looks like misinformation. 

The techspecs page lists the VESA mount and the Pro Stand, and under "what's included" it only mentions the display itself, a power cable, and a Thunderbold 3 Pro cable. No mention of a basic stand.

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/specs/
    dysamoriafastasleeph2p
  • Reply 46 of 134
    Does10Does10 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Total fail Apple. After years of ignoring pro users you create a machine that’s stupid expensive, a display that’s stupid expensive, put it in a really poor looking design then insult us by asking 1k for a display stand. I don’t know if you guys are loosing touch with the rest of the world or what. Better off would be to say “we fucked up in the past” and release competing desktops at slightly premium prices and get people excited. After years of being ignored I made a hackintosh that runs at a higher clock speed (i9), has 2 terabytes of nvme and a Radeon VII which is all faster then the base $6,000 model. But, mine cost $2,200 and I’m using it today. Ive owned nearly every Apple device in the last 20 years. Total fan boy. I even drove hours for the grand opening of the first Apple store but today I’m officially done. I couldn’t be more disappointed with what’s happened since Steve left.
    muthuk_vanalingamxixodysamoriawilliamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 134
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    ensoniq said:
    I don't HATE the design...although it's so surprising that they went with the "cheese grater" design of the old Mac Pro tower system.  I assume this was their only way to allow for proper cooling without the ridiculous fan noise of PC workstations.

What left me annoyed, even as a casual user who would never buy one of these, was the 256 GB SSD included as standard storage in the base model.  I'm sorry...but if I am spending $6000 for an Apple workstation, designed for pro level work, anything less than 512 GB standard is just a slap in the face.  It's an immediate required upgrade for anyone who would spend the money for one of these.  And for Apple to not just suck up the extra $200 they would lose on that upgrade is highway robbery.

The new modular Mac Pro is going to ruffle a lot of feathers for a variety of reasons.  Apple being stingy about base storage on a $6000 computer is what annoyed me.
    Not at all, this is a 3D "cheese grater" and clearly visually different.
    I think it's even passively airflow effective.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 134
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Apple as a computer company builds a ... computer.
    Very good!
    Kudos to the functional design and high specs.
    One moment I thought that 'Tim' would introduce a 28 core A processor, but that would be too good to be true (little detail about the Intel processor, I guess with all the standardised busses and focus on GPU and even FPGA's this design will let the A28 be a drop in next year).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 134
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    genovelle said:
    ...and at $200 is the vesa adapter both questionable in need (vs four threaded holes) and more than the cost of many stands and arms ? There are four high capacity Ergotron arms in this studio and they were all less than $200 US and came with multiple adapter plates, albeit one must turn (undo) four knurled knobs to detach... Would magnetic attachment be better as a BTO option or kit vs all in ?
    I’m sure they went with the best VESA adaptor possible, because I would be a huge problem for this $5000 display to find its way to the ground. 
    You raise a good 'magsafe' point - I hope the magnets are strong enough that an inadvertent knock doesn't drop this beast of a screen to the desk - think late for a meeting & jacket, shoulder bag, drawing tube, etc hitting the monitor edge...
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 134
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    cgWerks said:
    ...does anyone actually like the industrial design...?
    I'm not crazy about it, but maybe it is more about function than form in this case? Seems so for airflow on the tower, and then they tried to match it on the monitor. The monitor/stand are kind of hideous, IMO, but again, they look functionally pretty great. But, it's just going to sit under desks and tables anyway, so who cares how it looks (the tower, not the monitor). That's why the MP-cylinder was a bit of a joke to the pro crowd, as they don't care that it looks like artwork on top of the desk.
    It does seem as you say, and everything propriietary seemed a real 2013 pro challenge, although it was gym bag portable, and sleek - yet is the liberal arts influence the very thing that sets Apple apart in tech - that Jobs cared about fonts, or signing the inside of the early mac cases, or tapering the foot  of the iMac... I can think of many vehicles for instance that marry performance with refined industrial design... I guess we'll see...
    cgWerks
  • Reply 51 of 134
    The screen resolution is 6016 by 3384 pixels, not 6016 x 2284.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 134
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Those cheese grater holes are going to collect a lot of dust.
    dysamoriatyler82
  • Reply 53 of 134
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Does10 said:
    Total fail Apple. After years of ignoring pro users you create a machine that’s stupid expensive, a display that’s stupid expensive, put it in a really poor looking design then insult us by asking 1k for a display stand. I don’t know if you guys are loosing touch with the rest of the world or what. Better off would be to say “we fucked up in the past” and release competing desktops at slightly premium prices and get people excited. After years of being ignored I made a hackintosh that runs at a higher clock speed (i9), has 2 terabytes of nvme and a Radeon VII which is all faster then the base $6,000 model. But, mine cost $2,200 and I’m using it today. Ive owned nearly every Apple device in the last 20 years. Total fan boy. I even drove hours for the grand opening of the first Apple store but today I’m officially done. I couldn’t be more disappointed with what’s happened since Steve left.
    Tell us more about your $2,200 machine. Start by describing its good looks, since you say that's important. Then get into the specs: How much RAM does it have? Does it have a 1400 watt power supply? Does your $2,200 price include a 4K monitor? Or a Radeon Pro Vega II? Does it have 28 Teraflops of video computing? Does it use XEON chips? How many cores does it have? Does it have 28 cores? How many monitors can your $2,200 machine support at the same time? Can it handle three streams of 8K RAW video at the same time at 30 fps? Does it have wheels? I legitimately wish to know what you get for $2,200. I am not trying to hate you. I just want you to be informative instead of furious.
    edited June 2019 cgWerksStrangeDaysroundaboutnowstompypscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 54 of 134
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I just went through all of Apple’s website on these products and there’s no mention of a basic stand for this insanely expensive display.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I've never, ever seen a monitor that shipped without a stand. In every spec sheet I've seen, there's never been a separate listing for the display and stand. So it doesn't surprise me that the Apple Tech Specs wouldn't have Stand listed as what comes in the box.

There is no doubt some form of stand included with the XDR. The VESA mount and Pro Stand are upgrades from the basic display, as is the nano etched screen.

Apple could have saved a lot of hand-wringing by mentioning that it does come with a stand, just not the Pro stand. They probably assumed (BIG mistake) that people were smart enough to realize there is a non-Pro stand.  Craig could have said 'optional' and spared everyone the agony. There will probably be additional clarification before the XDR ships.
    fastasleepwatto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 56 of 134
    Have no need of this, but do love that Apple went back and designed something really pro people can use and upgrade, long missing from the Mac lineup. My one issue is 256GB base ssd is pathetic today in a machine like this and at this cost. 

Also as usual we get the base price. I'm guessing maxed out this will come near or top $20,000. 
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 134
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    apple ][ said:
    Great looking machine!

I pity anybody who doesn't like the design.

After Apple's misfire with the previous circular Mac Pro, this design brings the Mac Pro line back on the right track again. Awesome industrial design and the expandability options certainly seem to be good. ...
    I LOVE design. I actually think it's kind of ugly (visually), but I agree that it is great industrial design (as ID isn't as much about looks, as function... or at least in terms of priority). That was the problem with the cylinder Mac Pro. It was beautiful, but that matters little if the functionality flops.

mcdave said:
    If they had shipped 512GB as standard you’d have said anything less than 1TB was a slap in the face.
    Yeah, but it is a bit of a moot point with something like this. The people who buy one will get what they need. Some people who don't store much internally will be just fine with 256GB... so why put more in by default? Same with the GPU. The 580X isn't a powerhouse, but it's a good GPU for the pro who doesn't need heavy GPU (like a programmer, or scientist).

The whole point of this machine is the flexibility to make it into the max machine for whatever you need, not come in with the best stuff at the base-model config/price.

mr lizard said:
    Irrelevant. Again, consider the target market. Most pros will have furniture and monitor arms already (so why waste a stand?), and for those who want it, it is an accessory.

Does10 said:
    You're not the target market. I wish I could afford one too, but do you have any idea how much the target market spends on equipment? I hear you that I wish there was some in-between model. But, this absolutely nails the target market as far as I know about the target market.

bobolicious said:
    It does seem as you say, and everything propriietary seemed a real 2013 pro challenge, although it was gym bag portable, and sleek - yet is the liberal arts influence the very thing that sets Apple apart in tech - that Jobs cared about fonts, or signing the inside of the early mac cases, or tapering the foot  of the iMac... I can think of many vehicles for instance that marry performance with refined industrial design... I guess we'll see...
    I think the cylinder MP was an awesome machine... I'm just not the target market. If they had made an update with TB3, I'd have one sitting on my desk instead of my mini. :)

Yes, you can absolutely do both (visual/functional) design. But, if push comes to shove, I'll take functionality (at least for this kind of product).

xixo said:
    Those cheese grater holes are going to collect a lot of dust.
    Yeah, that is not going to be fun to clean. That said, can't you just pull off the whole outer shell, maybe maybe give it a bath? :)

22july2013 said:
    I legitimately wish to know what you get for $2,200. I am not trying to hate you. I just want you to be informative instead of furious.
    No doubt. I'd think the GPU/CPU would eat that up and then some.

80s_Apple_Guy said:
    Also as usual we get the base price. I'm guessing maxed out this will come near or top $20,000. 
    My guess is that it will be much higher than that. Have you seen some of the HP workstations that come in at over 6-figures?
    As I said (can't remember if it was this thread), I used to regularly spec out machines that fell into the $20k-40k range. And, have you seen some of the other equipment that people use in these industries?
    dysamoriapscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 58 of 134
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Does10 said:
    Translation: “I can’t afford it and I don’t actually need it”

Sorry bro, Apple isn’t catering to hobbyist tinkerers. Try an Alienware
    fastasleeppscooter63williamlondonwelshdogwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 59 of 134
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

genovelle said:
    ...and at $200 is the vesa adapter both questionable in need (vs four threaded holes) and more than the cost of many stands and arms ? There are four high capacity Ergotron arms in this studio and they were all less than $200 US and came with multiple adapter plates, albeit one must turn (undo) four knurled knobs to detach... Would magnetic attachment be better as a BTO option or kit vs all in ?
    I’m sure they went with the best VESA adaptor possible, because I would be a huge problem for this $5000 display to find its way to the ground. 
    You raise a good 'magsafe' point - I hope the magnets are strong enough that an inadvertent knock doesn't drop this beast of a screen to the desk - think late for a meeting & jacket, shoulder bag, drawing tube, etc hitting the monitor edge...
    Oh gosh, I hope they thought of that. /rolleyes
    fastasleepsphericwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 60 of 134
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    There’s an error in the video. There aren’t four TB3 ports on the monitor, there’s only one and three USB only ports. 
    watto_cobra