New iPadOS lets you use a mouse to control your iPad and iPhone apps [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    mac_128 said:
    Some people really can't get over Apple ruining their talking points, defending Apple's resistance to adding a mouse all these years.

The bottom line is Apple is being totally hypocritical with the iPad by Marketing it with an attached keyboard, but not including a mouse, after stating that they would not bring a touchscreen to the MacBook because it would be awkward to lift one's hands from the keyboard to touch the screen -- exactly the same thing required by an iPad while using a keyboard.

And for that exact reason, they are adding mouse support. It doesn't matter if it's under accessibility -- that merely allows Apple to save face by insisting that it's there just for the disabled, knowing full well it's likely to serve the very people who would otherwise be using a MacBook, or buy into Apple's marketing that the iPad appears to serve as a MacBook replacement, merely by adding a keyboard.
    I think that Apple marketing will say they were consistent in saying that “NO” they did not add mouse support to iOS.   They added it to iPadOS.

Either way it was obvious that this was coming when Marzipan was revealed last year.   I expect that in a year or two mouse support will be equal to pencil support in iPadOS as new apps are developed that are designed to run on both mac and iPad through UiKit (or is is webkit).

With Apple allowing. You to use an iPad as a second screen Apple for a Mac Apple will be delivering their Toaster/Refrigrator and every one will love chilled toast. It may just take a few more years to get there.   Can’t wait for them to get there.   I expect they will someday announce the Smart MacBook some day.   Their version.of the Surface Book.  But it will be a much better device.

For all you vile attackers against this.  HAHA HAHA.
    It's available on iPhone too, not just iPad.
    Awesome.  Thanks.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think Apple will HAVE to improve this if not exploit it because, right now the headlines will be:
    "Apple adds a mouse to the iPad -- but its crap".

For Apple, this is not a sustainable situation.

(One has to wonder if Apple recruited a Microsoft engineer to design this for them?)
  • Reply 63 of 66
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    Maybe, we'll see. I think I'd put my money on Apple improving text selection to the point that most people won't find a mouse worth the hassle. For finer design type work, obviously the Pencil is a preferable solution.
    Except when you have the iPad setup in that 'laptop' orientation with a keyboard. Trying to poke your finger (or pencil) straight out ahead of you to a screen and do anything with precision, is both difficult and ergonomically problematic. And, that even assumes the iPad is braced well enough that poking it won't tip it, or move it at least a bit, impacting precision.

I kind of wonder if you guys have actually ever tried it?

fastasleep said:Good lord. I have a colleague who works with a trackball exclusively and boy howdy if that's not the slowest way to operate a Mac I've ever seen. When I go to help him with some issue it's like having my hands tied behind my back.
    I meant better in terms of 'packaging with the keyboard' or portability. The mouse is a separate object, where a trackball could potentially be built in. However, a trackpad surface is best in this regard, even if it is separate.

In terms of speed, yeah, it's hard to beat a mouse. That said, if you're doing certain kinds of CAD work (or such things), a trackball can be quite effective. I mostly use a trackpad these days, as my hand can't take the mouse for too long. But, when I do CAD or design work, I switch to the mouse. The trackpad drives me NUTS for that kind of work.

k2kw said:
    I think that Apple marketing will say they were consistent in saying that “NO” they did not add mouse support to iOS.   They added it to iPadOS.
    LOL, I suppose. Whatever floats their boat, so long as we get the productivity.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 64 of 66
    I think Apple will HAVE to improve this if not exploit it because, right now the headlines will be:

(One has to wonder if Apple recruited a Microsoft engineer to design this for them?)
    Unfortunately, it is in the assistive tech section... so they can kind of spin it however they want. It is what it currently is because that is what it is intended for (not we mouse-wanting folks). Then, when they get enough outcry (cause it is partly there), they can say... OK, OK, enough people wanted it, that we extended it to non-assistive use, too. I'm guessing the current design is to help the visually impaired, too. (I think most of the articles haven't watched the actual video.)
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 65 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cgWerks said:

Unfortunately, it is in the assistive tech section... so they can kind of spin it however they want. It is what it currently is because that is what it is intended for (not we mouse-wanting folks). Then, when they get enough outcry (cause it is partly there), they can say... OK, OK, enough people wanted it, that we extended it to non-assistive use, too. I'm guessing the current design is to help the visually impaired, too. (I think most of the articles haven't watched the actual video.)
    My bet on their foot dragging:   They let the MacBook line go long enough that they want time to strengthen it before subjecting it to the increased competition of an iPad/external keyboard/mouse.   While that certainly will not kill off the MacBook line, it will likely scoop out some of of the low-end, entry level stuff from those who mostly use an iPad but occasionally need an external keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    GeorgeBMac said:
    My bet on their foot dragging:   They let the MacBook line go long enough that they want time to strengthen it before subjecting it to the increased competition of an iPad/external keyboard/mouse.   While that certainly will not kill off the MacBook line, it will likely scoop out some of of the low-end, entry level stuff from those who mostly use an iPad but occasionally need an external keyboard and mouse.
    Yeah, that's possible too. They say they don't worry about product-line cannibalization, but I think that's mostly just marketing-BS.

That said, it isn't just lack of mouse support holding back the iPad. Hopefully iOS 13 will take care of a bunch of that, it looks like.
    GeorgeBMac