Raymond James upgrades Apple stock to $250 on 2020 iPhone promise

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    williamh said:
    Will people care much about 5G in 2019 or even 2020? Most of us won’t have 5G service available for some time still. 
    It will be important to the same crowd that will pass on iPhone if it doesn't have USB-C this year... Haha

Personally I am good with LTE, but would LOVE for overall coverage to be better everywhere. For all carriers..  Hitting areas of spotty or no service ( Call or Data )  just seems like it shouldn't happen in 2019 in my opinion.  Build out towers so there is consistent LTE call and data coverage everywhere.  It's doesn't need to be 20x faster than LTE just way more consistent as you move about the country.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 22 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Du to the introduction of 5G across many carriers around the world, and the slow influx of 5G devices, analysts are generally predicting poor sales of the 2019 iPhones, which are not expected to have 5G. It is thought consumers may wait until Apple ships models using the cellular standard before upgrading, which may affect 2019 sales.

Anybody planning on keeping their phone more than a year or two will, or should, fall into this category.

On the other hand, while it is clear that Apple will not be able to include a 5G capable modem in the phones it rolls out in 2 months, there is not much basis to assume that Apple will delay that roll-out for  another 14 months -- simply to stick to some preordained schedule.

Currently, the only technical reason for not having a 5G capable phone is being able to incorporate Qualcomm's 5G capable modem into one or more of their phones.  But that limitation is minor and short lived.   After that, the only road blocks will be administrative and marketing policies -- and Apple, historically, has trampled all over that nonsense.

Essentially, there is NO reason, no good reason, to wait till the end of 2020 for a 2020 phone.  Apple should release a 5G capable phone in the first half of next year -- possibly the first quarter.   Meanwhile, I agree:  Their 2019 phones will take a major hit simply because they aren't going to offer much in comparison to the 2018 phones -- so why "upgrade" if the upgrade is merely in name only?   (American auto manufacturers pulled that "new and improved" scam for decades till the Japanese crushed them).
    I don’t believe that you will have a full nationwide rollout of 5G by mid year next year. 

Apple was never first to new cellular technology.

Remember when pundits said the iphone 4S was going to be a disappointment because it didn’t support 4G LTE and in the first 3 days of its release sold 4 million phones. 

Another advantage of not being first is a better position for customers not paying for the privilege of being early adopters of new wireless technology. 

With the hesitation of using Chinese based companies that make the 5G network equipment, I believe that the rollout is going to take even longer than before. 
    A full, nationwide rollout of 5G?   We haven't had full, nationwide rollout of 1G yet.   That's a meaningless argument.

Because it is currently strictly based on profit in this country, wireless has been, and will be rolled out where it is profitable.   That's the urbanized and suburban areas where there are enough people willing and able to pay for it -- and that is happening right now.   Currently, as we speak. 

Wireless -- whether 1G or 9G won't go to the rural areas until the government steps in and makes it happen.
    The analogy is:   100 years ago electricity only made it to the same urbanized areas.   It took the government's TVA to get it out to the whole nation.  
  • Reply 23 of 45
    williamh said:
    Will people care much about 5G in 2019 or even 2020? Most of us won’t have 5G service available for some time still. 
    That feeling ("If I can't use it today, then it is worthless") is only relevant to those who only keep their phones a year -- or two at the longest.
    For the real world, they want a phone that won't obsolete itself a third or quarter of the way through its life-span.
    They don’t become obsolete just because faster becomes available. That’s absurd. In that case lower resolution monitors are “obsolete” because 8k exists somewhere. Or slower CPUs since faster exist. Pfft. Nope. If they continue to do their job and are serviceable, they are not obsolete.

Dictionary: “no longer produced or used”. Neither is true when there is simply more/faster/better available. 
    How's that 3G iPhone working for you?  It still makes phone calls.   What else could you possibly need? /s

Your analogies to CPUs & such simply don't apply here because major upgrades in communications have always, ALWAYS involved changes in WHAT people do with technology -- and that goes all the way back to the IBM mainframe days and the advent of T1 lines -- they revolutionized the industry.  

A better analogy than CPUs is:   Judging 4G based on how you used 3G would have missed the mark by a mile because 4G enabled people to use their "phones" in ways that not even Steve Jobs predicted.  In fact, the phone became a rather minor function of the device.  And 4G / LTE was really a minor upgrade to 3G.  By all accounts and all predictions 5G promises to be a far more significant upgrade -- enough that Verizon is buying up all the telephone poles in my area.

You need to skate to where the puck WILL be.  Not where it was.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The second half of 2020 is when 5G will really start to momentum... with next generation Qualcomm chips, near ubiquitous support in major brand high end handsets, and wider infrastructure build outs, Apple's 2020 Fall iPhone releases will be timed right.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    I'd rather have a notch-free iPhone with a beautiful, timeless design over the desire to have 5G inside the phone, tbh. 
  • Reply 26 of 45

Du to the introduction of 5G across many carriers around the world, and the slow influx of 5G devices, analysts are generally predicting poor sales of the 2019 iPhones, which are not expected to have 5G. It is thought consumers may wait until Apple ships models using the cellular standard before upgrading, which may affect 2019 sales.

Essentially, there is NO reason, no good reason, to wait till the end of 2020 for a 2020 phone.  Apple should release a 5G capable phone in the first half of next year -- possibly the first quarter.   Meanwhile, I agree:  Their 2019 phones will take a major hit simply because they aren't going to offer much in comparison to the 2018 phones -- so why "upgrade" if the upgrade is merely in name only?   (American auto manufacturers pulled that "new and improved" scam for decades till the Japanese crushed them).
    Cant believe I have to still explain this to people... The delta of an annual improvement from the model of a year prior isn’t very important. Normals don’t upgrade phones every single year, as there is often little reason to. Techies and phone nerds like to, but that doesn’t represent normal. Normals upgrade when they need a new phone, and for that reason it’s important that the current-model do its job well. iPhone does that, every single year. It also gets incrementally better, which, over time, produces a dramatic delta compared to a much older model. 

Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.

Can’t believe some people still fail to grasp this. 

More, you’re getting hung up on modems or shell design while ignoring the true annual improvements — the A-series processors. It is the device’s processing ability which enables iOS to take on more jobs to do, and do them very well. In the end it’s the UX and jobs to be done that normals need, and iPhone doesn’t fail to deliver, despite what the “speeds & feeds” spec worshippers claim.
    Yeh, if you only look at CPUs and such I agree.   Change comes as evolutions rather than revolutions for the most part.

But, not with significant changes to communications technology.  Those who bought a 3G phone after LTE became available soon regretted it -- they basically had a car phone rather than a pocket sized computer.  And that has been true throughout the computer age -- starting with mainframes and T1 lines.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    williamh said:
    Bragging Rights are just as important as bling to a whole raft of people. For the rest of us... Meh!
  • Reply 28 of 45
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,114member
    2old4fun said:
    mubaili said:
    You would use all your data allocation is 1 hour under 5G. Apple need to become a carrier. 
    Why do you say that? If it takes you all month to use your data now, it will take you all month to use the same data on 5G. But each download will be faster - not more!
    That is only true for regular paid apps. Yes, ad supported apps would consume all your monthly allocation in one hour under 5G. Expect a shitload of 1080p ad movies !!! 

Data you consume for yourself will never justify what you pay for 5G. You will be paying for 5G just to be exposed to more ads !!!
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 29 of 45
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,114member
    jgojcaj said:
    I'd rather have a notch-free iPhone with a beautiful, timeless design over the desire to have 5G inside the phone, tbh. 
    8 series.
    GeorgeBMacAppleExposedSpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 45
    I find plenty of places with zero cellular service driving in southern Illinois. The chances of sufficient tower and such to provide 5G are pretty slim for next 20 years, I'm reckoning, although it will hopefully come to the many cities of 5,000-10,000 before it arrives in the likes of Wynoose.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Who here doesn't already have an unlimited plan? It's a no-brainer.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    I find plenty of places with zero cellular service driving in southern Illinois. The chances of sufficient tower and such to provide 5G are pretty slim for next 20 years, I'm reckoning, although it will hopefully come to the many cities of 5,000-10,000 before it arrives in the likes of Wynoose.
    Since cell service is provided only where there is profit in providing it, it will likely never get there.   Verizon ain't there for OUR benefit.

The same happened 100 years ago with electricity -- until our government stepped up to the plate and provided it via the TVA.  The weird part today is that those who live in those areas support the politicians who are least likely to support a modern day equivalent to the TVA.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 33 of 45
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,394member
    Sounds like November 2019 might be a great time to buy an iPhone! 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    I won't complain at $250 :)

radarthekat
  • Reply 35 of 45
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 124member
    I really doubt 5G will drive a huge cycle all by itself so I’m calling out the target as a crock of .... if it’s based on 5G. 
    Certainly not in Europe. The infrastructure just isn’t there yet. Even in a year it won’t be fully up to speed. I often don’t even get a 4G signal (still). I expect the US is similar. 

Price (to offset sales volume decreases) and lack of killer new features will continue to limit new iPhone sales as people hold their phones even longer or upgrade to or buy older models (still a sale I guess unless 2nd hand). Apple will still make a ton of $, but probably not as much as people expected. Expect a miss or two coming up in terms of earnings before a return to form. 

Case in point... the wife just got her iPhone 7 battery replaced rather than buy a new phone in a couple of months. “Just not worth the money they are asking these days” was her take on it. Top end model prices are eye watering and in all fairness , the 8 over the 7 wasn’t really much of an upgrade.  The XR is too big and heavy. The XS cost would mean she had to sell a kidney (also too heavy). I see her point. Stick with the 7. 

I do agree with another poster above though that said the new iPhones in 2019 just have to be good enough for those that do want to upgrade / or buy fresh into the eco system (population growth and android switchers) , and I’m sure it will be good enough. It always has been. That alone will still drive millions of sales. But nowhere near the super cycle days of the 6S. 

• Reply 36 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,938member
    williamh said:
    That feeling ("If I can't use it today, then it is worthless") is only relevant to those who only keep their phones a year -- or two at the longest.
    For the real world, they want a phone that won't obsolete itself a third or quarter of the way through its life-span.
    They don’t become obsolete just because faster becomes available. That’s absurd. In that case lower resolution monitors are “obsolete” because 8k exists somewhere. Or slower CPUs since faster exist. Pfft. Nope. If they continue to do their job and are serviceable, they are not obsolete.

Dictionary: “no longer produced or used”. Neither is true when there is simply more/faster/better available. 
    How's that 3G iPhone working for you?  It still makes phone calls.   What else could you possibly need? /s
    Man, critical thinking fail. The 3G iPhone is neither produced or serviced or used as a current network type. It’s obsolete. LTE is not. Try again bro. 

Skating to the where the puck is isn’t about a new modem. That’s a commodity spec. Building the hardware and software architecture (A-series chips, iOS) is how Apple is skating to the future.  
    Solimacplusplus
  • Reply 37 of 45
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,842member
    williamh said:
    I can’t speak for anyone but me, but I’m not waiting for 5G. We just started seeing LTE around here in the last couple of years. It will be several years at least before 5G gets here. Plus where I live the distances are long, the rain is heavy, and the trees are thick. So the high frequency band of 5G will do nothing for us. The low frequency band is only slightly better than LTE so it will make little difference. So I can say I definitely won’t care about 5G until the phone after the one I’m getting this fall. Somewhere around 2023. YMMV but for me it’s a non issue.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    2old4fun said:
    mubaili said:
    You would use all your data allocation is 1 hour under 5G. Apple need to become a carrier. 
    Why do you say that? If it takes you all month to use your data now, it will take you all month to use the same data on 5G. But each download will be faster - not more!
    @mubaili is probably saying that you would use your data allocation in 1 hour in reference to streaming.  He's referencing data use over time, not just a certain amount of data.  You are correct about a download, but that same sentiment does not apply to streaming.  Streaming is a big focus for a lot of companies these days.  Most people stream over WiFi so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.  But I'd bet good money we're going to get the stories of the 5G first adopter who "didn't realize" they'd burn through their data allotment while streaming using 5G.  "They just said the 5G was faster.  They didn't say I would use my data quicker." - most likely quote to be used by angry user relegated to 2G speeds for the rest of the month... with it only being the 3rd of the month. :D
    How would that work?  If I stream 10 hours of Netflix programming over 4G or 5G it's exactly the same amount of data.  Or is 5G going to let me watch a season of Stranger Things in half the time somehow?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    I won't complain at $250 :)

Same. If such a unicorn is captured, it’ll happen if Apple makes a major new product category announcement or if they transition to a new CEO.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    williamh said:

Man, critical thinking fail. The 3G iPhone is neither produced or serviced or used as a current network type. It’s obsolete. LTE is not. Try again bro. 

Skating to the where the puck is isn’t about a new modem. That’s a commodity spec. Building the hardware and software architecture (A-series chips, iOS) is how Apple is skating to the future.  
    So the analogy went right over your head.  Sad.   Or, is it that it blows your claims out of the the water so you choose to ignore it?

And, sorry, but it is communications that made cell phones and smart phones what they are -- and what they will be.  Here, try this: Go to settings and turn off cell service for a week.   See how far your A-Series chip and iOS get you.  

But, because Apple let themselves get behind the 8-ball in communications -- they dropped Qualcomm, Intel couldn't perform, they couldn't develop their own modem quickly enough and Huawei's were blocked by the Conman in the White House -- you try to claim that communications don't matter in a mobile device.

Sorry, but communications is the heart of a smart phone.
    So, instead of disparaging the next generation of communications because Apple fell behind, why don't you pull out your 3G phone and use that since 3g, 4G, 5G have no importance to you?   Go ahead.   Prove your point.