Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro coming in October for over $3000, claims report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:
    I want one USB-A port instead of the fourth TB port.

i suspect that is unlikely..
    Yeah, replacing modern ports with old, slow ports are what makes a real Pro computer. 
    Do you think that the latest Mac Pro is not "real Pro computer" because it has USB-A ports?
    No. What kind of question is that? You're talking about a basic I/O PCIe board which is an option to buy (as far as we know) on a giant machine where you're not removing built-in 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 port and replacing it with a shitty 5Gbps USB-A port, which are two completely different things.
    Devices as the Lenovo P1 have two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI and even a SD card reader in a chassis similar and lighter to the Macbook Pro 15".  IMO, there was no need to remove USB-A in the latest Macbook to make it a "real Pro computer". 

Well Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit too so there you go! And are not going to convince me otherwise on that. I don't know why people want to compare such a laptop to a MacBook Pro.

You can agree or disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB-A ports (or any other port) from their notebook lineup but you can all but guarantee it ain't coming back. Honestly, the MacBook Pro is the most versatile laptop Apple has ever produced. You don't need an array of legacy ports to make it a "Pro" computer. The USB-C ports can be adapted to just about anything you could possibly ever want while also charging from any port, keeping the footprint of the device down, making it as Apple intended with its thinness, etc. 
    edited July 2019 fastasleepchiawatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 42 of 104
    Soli said:
    elijahg said:
    mr. h said:
    elijahg said:
    tomahawk said:
    McJobs said:
    I'm so sick of the Tim Cook era, where every product redesign comes with a substantial price increase over previous model. When Steve was there, products got better at the same price points (e.g. MBP--->unibody MBP), or even were less expensive at the same time (e.g. polycarbonate iMac--->aluminum iMac).
    Why wouldn't a new device, with a larger screen, and likely a true "Pro" version of the Pro, cost more? It's going to have a more expensive screen, likely larger battery and potentially more powerful CPU/GPU combos.  It should cost more...  Even if it has the same config as the "better" 15" (8-core, 16GB and 512GB SSD) it would only be ~$200 more than the 15".
    Yeah but see...that's reasonable, and not what it will be.

Reasonable would be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 512 GB.

Instead it will be $2,999 for 8-core, 16 GB, and 256 GB.
    16GB? You'll be lucky. The "best" config of any of Apple's range (except the Mac Pro) still only has an abysmal 8GB RAM.
    No. The 15" MacBook Pro comes with at least 16 GB.
    Well I'll be damned. That must be fairly recent then, and those are the only ones to have that. The "better" models should have 16GB minimum,  if not the "best" ones. That 5400RPM 24" iMac needs to be axed though. It's a real dog.
    Macxpress's statement of 2014 is correct. I know it's hard to remember all this hardware so I use MacTracker for a great resource and  quick reference.

Another interesting tidbit is that Apple started soldering the RAM in the MBP back in 2012. This is the 8th year of having soldered RAM and people still think Apple will change, even after they now solder the SSD, too. Maybe people are right since the Mac mini now has socketed RAM again, but I think that's a very different case. 
    Shhh...we don't want people to know the truth, they probably can't handle it. After all, wasn't Apple supposed to be doomed like 10yrs ago?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 104

mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Yeah, replacing modern ports with old, slow ports are what makes a real Pro computer. 
    Do you think that the latest Mac Pro is not "real Pro computer" because it has USB-A ports?
    No. What kind of question is that? You're talking about a basic I/O PCIe board which is an option to buy (as far as we know) on a giant machine where you're not removing built-in 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 port and replacing it with a shitty 5Gbps USB-A port, which are two completely different things.
    No need to replace any of the TB3 ports. There's plenty of room in that chassis for the TB3 ports and a USBA port. And an HDMI. And an SD card slot.

What I don't get about apologists for the MacBook Pro's stupid port offering is: how is adding more ports a bad thing? Would anyone possibly be actively put off buying a MacBook Pro if it had four TB3 + USBA + HDMI + SD Card?
    All of which can be either adapted or usually made to work with just a simple cable change so why include ports when all you need is a different cable? Honestly, I don't think it matters one way or the other if Apple had those ports back on. If you think sales will skyrocket because Apple added a USB-A port you're seriously smoking something. I think most have moved on from this and its techies that are the only ones still bitching and moaning about this. You guys love to beat a dead horse don't you? 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 104

bigmike said:
    So, just a 1" difference? Meh... I think Steve Jobs did another roll in his grave. They'd also have to make a solid keyboard again, at least. They really should get back to user-upgradable HDs and ram.
    Who gives a shit if Steve is rolling...he can roll all the way down the fuckin' hill as far as I'm concerned! It's not Steve's company and when Steve was CEO Apple wasn't all roses and produced perfect Macs either. These are such idiotic comments. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobrauraharatht
  • Reply 45 of 104
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Devices as the Lenovo P1 have two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI and even a SD card reader in a chassis similar and lighter to the Macbook Pro 15".  IMO, there was no need to remove USB-A in the latest Macbook to make it a "real Pro computer". 

Well Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit too so there you go!
    In my experience with customers, Thinkpads are excellent notebooks.  Even Apple should try copying a few things from Lenovo, specially the spill-resistant keyboards.  

https://p.widencdn.net/ky4bev/asset-thinkpad-mil-spec-flyer

• Reply 46 of 104
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It is the company that Steve built.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

No need to replace any of the TB3 ports. There's plenty of room in that chassis for the TB3 ports and a USBA port. And an HDMI. And an SD card slot.

What I don't get about apologists for the MacBook Pro's stupid port offering is: how is adding more ports a bad thing? Would anyone possibly be actively put off buying a MacBook Pro if it had four TB3 + USBA + HDMI + SD Card?
    I was in a meeting yesterday with my MacBook Pro and someone asked if I could project a PowerPoint that had just been emailed to the group. Now when I know that I am giving a presentation I always make sure to lug along Apple’s humongous USB-C to HDMI adapter. But this was impromptu and so the answer was, no, my ridiculously expensive “pro” laptop could not connect to the industry standard HDMI cable on the table. And before someone says we should have an Apple TV or some USB-C adapter built-into the setup, keep in mind that this is a big corporation with dozens of conference rooms and an IT department that acts like it is the early 2000’s. I can barely get my Macs on the network.
    BigDann
  • Reply 48 of 104
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

That's not what was proposed — they said a USB-A port instead of the fourth TB3 port, and that's what I was replying to.

Beyond that, I understand you want a select set of ports that *you* want. I, however, have no need for any of that, and would rather have the four do-everything ports than an ancient USB-A port, an HDMI I'll never use, and the SD card I might use occasionally, but I have a reader for that, or more frequently I just connect my camera directly via USB. Some users have CF cards, what about them? Some users need miniDP ports instead of HDMI (me), what about them? You can either stick a bunch of bespoke ports on there, most of which will not be used by most users, or throw a reasonable number of Thunderbolt 3 ports that can accommodate half a dozen functions at the same time each and let people adapt to their own use cases. I prefer the latter.

Why on earth are you missing USB-A so hard? I have a tiny adapter on my keychain for the odd time I need it, and it's fine. USB-C is so superior, I literally cannot wait to get rid of all my USB-A/micro- and mini-USB cables completely.
    edited July 2019 lorin schultzStrangeDayswatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 49 of 104
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

I was in a meeting yesterday with my MacBook Pro and someone asked if I could project a PowerPoint that had just been emailed to the group. Now when I know that I am giving a presentation I always make sure to lug along Apple’s humongous USB-C to HDMI adapter. But this was impromptu and so the answer was, no, my ridiculously expensive “pro” laptop could not connect to the industry standard HDMI cable on the table. And before someone says we should have an Apple TV or some USB-C adapter built-into the setup, keep in mind that this is a big corporation with dozens of conference rooms and an IT department that acts like it is the early 2000’s. I can barely get my Macs on the network.
    Guess you won't make that mistake again.

LOL, the hyperbole — "lug" "humongous" — it's like what, a couple grams? You know there are much smaller ones, right? Throw this on your keychain and never get caught off guard again. It's $12 and tiny:

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Keychain-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Pixelbook/dp/B075FKL7MC/

You guys sure aren't very good at preparing for your jobs.

StrangeDayswatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 50 of 104
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Well Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit too so there you go! And are not going to convince me otherwise on that. I don't know why people want to compare such a laptop to a MacBook Pro.

You can agree or disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB-A ports (or any other port) from their notebook lineup but you can all but guarantee it ain't coming back. Honestly, the MacBook Pro is the most versatile laptop Apple has ever produced. You don't need an array of legacy ports to make it a "Pro" computer. The USB-C ports can be adapted to just about anything you could possibly ever want while also charging from any port, keeping the footprint of the device down, making it as Apple intended with its thinness, etc. 
    For some reason, your post had only the first line when posted my response.  Second, I don't need to convince you that ThinkPads are excellent notebooks.  Just use a P1 or a X1 Carbon, and you'll understand.  

Regarding USB, I gave an example of the Lenovo P1, a device similar to the Macbook Pro (and even lighter), that has USB-A, USB-C, HDMI and SD card. Don't you think that Apple could have done something similar?
    macike
  • Reply 51 of 104
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    McJobs said:
    I'm so sick of the Tim Cook era, where every product redesign comes with a substantial price increase over previous model. When Steve was there, products got better at the same price points (e.g. MBP--->unibody MBP), or even were less expensive at the same time (e.g. polycarbonate iMac--->aluminum iMac).
    I immediately discount any posts that attempt to use a "When Steve..." meme. Unless your Ouija board is working overtime, that's not an argument.

(Same with those that refer to "sheeple" or "fanboys.") 
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 104
    macxpress said:

mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

All of which can be either adapted or usually made to work with just a simple cable change so why include ports when all you need is a different cable? Honestly, I don't think it matters one way or the other if Apple had those ports back on. If you think sales will skyrocket because Apple added a USB-A port you're seriously smoking something. I think most have moved on from this and its techies that are the only ones still bitching and moaning about this. You guys love to beat a dead horse don't you? 
    I think the question mr. h posted is valid, how is adding more ports a bad thing?  Lenovo did it while keeping a slim profile and light weight.  I don't see any reason for Apple doing the same.  And this is not about "sales skyrocket", but what is practical for customers. 
    macike
  • Reply 53 of 104
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

That's not what was proposed — they said a USB-A port instead of the fourth TB3 port, and that's what I was replying to.

Beyond that, I understand you want a select set of ports that *you* want. I, however, have no need for any of that, and would rather have the four do-everything ports than an ancient USB-A port, an HDMI I'll never use, and the SD card I might use occasionally, but I have a reader for that, or more frequently I just connect my camera directly via USB. Some users have CF cards, what about them? Some users need miniDP ports instead of HDMI (me), what about them? You can either stick a bunch of bespoke ports on there, most of which will not be used by most users, or throw a reasonable number of Thunderbolt 3 ports that can accommodate half a dozen functions at the same time each and let people adapt to their own use cases. I prefer the latter.

Why on earth are you missing USB-A so hard? I have a tiny adapter on my keychain for the odd time I need it, and it's fine. USB-C is so superior, I literally cannot wait to get rid of all my USB-A/micro- and mini-USB cables completely.
    I agree that a notebook will not have all ports available.  But USB-A and HDMI are two of the most popular ports in the market.  A lot of customers would have benefit of have those two ports, don't you think?
    macike
  • Reply 54 of 104
    danvm said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

I agree that a notebook will not have all ports available.  But USB-A and HDMI are two of the most popular ports in the market.  A lot of customers would have benefit of have those two ports, don't you think?
    No. There's absolutely no reason anyone needs 5Gbps USB Type A ports anymore, we've moved on. I can't think of a single reason why you'd look back fondly on USB-A at this point.

I think the HDMI argument holds more weight than the USB-A arguments, but just barely. If you are a person that does presentations for your job, you can and should just get a keychain adapter like I posted above and then you'll be prepared for your job. It's an easily solved problem for the users that need HDMI. Most people don't need it. *Some* people would benefit from having that port, but that doesn't make it necessary by any means. Everyone thinks their use case is the most important one.

It's not difficult, yet people complain about these imaginary scenarios where they're lugging heavy armloads of dongles that cost them $100 when none of those things is true. It's ridiculous.
    SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 104
    danvm said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

No. There's absolutely no reason anyone needs 5Gbps USB Type A ports anymore, we've moved on. I can't think of a single reason why you'd look back fondly on USB-A at this point.

I think the HDMI argument holds more weight than the USB-A arguments, but just barely. If you are a person that does presentations for your job, you can and should just get a keychain adapter like I posted above and then you'll be prepared for your job. It's an easily solved problem for the users that need HDMI. Most people don't need it. *Some* people would benefit from having that port, but that doesn't make it necessary by any means. Everyone thinks their use case is the most important one.

If there is no reason to anyone need USB-A, why the iMac, Mac Mini and the Mac Pro still offer it?  Why iPhone and iPad still include a USB-A cable?  Again, there is a huge market of USB-A devices, and those customer would benefit of having a Macbook with USB-A.  
    It's not difficult, yet people complain about these imaginary scenarios where they're lugging heavy armloads of dongles that cost them $100 when none of those things is true. It's ridiculous.

Yes, there are cases where people complain with no reason, but at the same time, there are cases where a USB-A port in a Macbook Pro would be helpful. 
    edited July 2019 gatorguydtb200
  • Reply 56 of 104
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Keychain adaptors are small but they still bulk up your keychain. If I had an HMDI adaptor and USB-C to USB-A adaptor on my keychain, I'd no longer be able to fit my keys where I need them to fit. Again, I ask the question, why not have four TB-3 ports AND USB-A, HDMI, and SD-card slot? People who so easily dismiss these as "not necessary" because you can "just replace all your cables" obviously don't ever have to collaborate or work with anyone else, where you don't have control over what cables are available or what kind of USB stick someone else has. It's clear that Apple left out all other ports for two reasons:

1. To increase margins
    2. To try to force a migration away from "legacy" ports.

Back in the day, I was absolutely all for option 2 above. I'm glad that Apple went all-in on USB with the iMac etc. However, there's some very important things that have changed in the marketplace since then, that means that trying to pull the same trick again just isn't working:

1. Computer replacement cycles have dramatically increased. We've reached the point that for many, a computer is an appliance - you buy one and keep it until it breaks and then buy a new one. Gone are the days where your computer feels ancient once it's 18 months old, and you buy a new one to get double the CPU power, double the GPU power, double the RAM and double the storage. When well under 50% of households even have a computer, and upgrade cycles are 18 months, it's easy to move everyone to a new IO standard. When it's over 80% and the cycles are 5, 6 + years, it doesn't work so well.

2. Similarly, display upgrade cycles are also very long. So transitioning away from HDMI is going to take a very, very long time.

3. USB-A has become a "DC power" standard, with it built-in to mains (grid) sockets, in public spaces such as airports etc. So, if you buy something rechargeable, it'll often be supplied with a USB-A cable for recharging. This is not changing. Similarly with USB sticks - most people who have one, have a USB-A one.
    gatorguymacike
  • Reply 57 of 104
    danvm said:
    If there is no reason to anyone need USB-A, why the iMac, Mac Mini and the Mac Pro still offer it?  Why iPhone and iPad still include a USB-A cable?  Again, there is a huge market of USB-A devices, and those customer would benefit of having a Macbook with USB-A.  
    Probably to get people to shut up about it and stop emailing them. But seriously, partially because their keyboards, mice, and trackpads still ship with USB-A to Lightning cables, and because there's ample room. All of that I expect will change, eventually, as the transition advances. We were, however, talking about laptops.

Yes, there are cases where people complain with no reason, but at the same time, there are cases where a USB-A port in a Macbook Pro would be helpful. 
    Name one. If you say thumb drives, I'm going to laugh at you. Someone literally brought up printers of all things in one thread, in complete seriousness. Really though, I'm not saying there's no possible use for them, I'm saying they're easily avoided in many cases and the few situations where you can't, just have a keychain adapter available. It would be "helpful" if my MBP had miniDP ports, but I'm not wishing those on every user when I can (and did) easily solve the problem myself. I'd rather actively work away from old, slow, legacy connectors even if it causes the occasional stumble, if it helps move us forward to any extent at all.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 104
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    McJobs said:
    I am sorry but it's called inflation. Everything will cost more over time. And the TOC are actually cheaper and Apple products have much higher resale value.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 59 of 104
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    McJobs said:
    Uhh guy? iPad, $329, Cook. 

New products that do more get more expensive. If you think things are going to remain the same price for life, you’re going to hate getting old. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 60 of 104
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Well if you look at the ThinkPad Carbon X1 with legacy ports, 64GB of RAM, great keyboard and build (it's a ThinkPad) and the form factor of a MBP 15 the statement is current... that you can't/refuse to accept facts or logic demonstrates religious blindness as opposed to a rational, fact based argument.

Oh, and I don't know how many times I've been embarrassed by connecting my MPB with the 3 different USB-C->HDMI dongles (including Apples) and not being able to connect to a client HDMI monitor... only to USB stick it to someone to plug in their "shit" Lenovo/Dell/HP in order to show it.
    macike