Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro coming in October for over $3000, claims report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member

jdiamond said:
    tomahawk said:
    McJobs said:
    I'm so sick of the Tim Cook era, where every product redesign comes with a substantial price increase over previous model. When Steve was there, products got better at the same price points (e.g. MBP--->unibody MBP), or even were less expensive at the same time (e.g. polycarbonate iMac--->aluminum iMac).
    Why wouldn't a new device, with a larger screen, and likely a true "Pro" version of the Pro, cost more? It's going to have a more expensive screen, likely larger battery and potentially more powerful CPU/GPU combos.  It should cost more...  Even if it has the same config as the "better" 15" (8-core, 16GB and 512GB SSD) it would only be ~$200 more than the 15".

And Jobs raised prices too.  Look at the Mac mini. Started at $499, raised to $599 in 2006, and raised again to $699 in 2010.
    Because technology gets better and therefore cheaper over time. I paid $3,000 for a top of the line Macbook Pro from 2007 through 2015, and it kept getting better and better.  Now, the minimum Macbook Pro that matches those old specs and meets my needs cost over $4,000, but it actually performs worse than before due to thermal issues and is less useful due to connectivity options.

That being said, if they make an enjoyable keyboard again, I'm willing to suck it up and pay a lot more.  One problem at a time.  Don't discount inflation - what did cars and houses cost back in 2007?

Nonsense. 

Why aren’t cars cheaper considering how old they are?

I doubt the new MBPs perform worse than your 2015. AI articles haven’t suggested there is a thermal problem. 

Connectivity issues? LOL now I know you’re just trolling, son. If you can’t find a native USB-C cable you’re doing it wrong. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 104
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    mr. h said:
    Keychain adaptors are small but they still bulk up your keychain. If I had an HMDI adaptor and USB-C to USB-A adaptor on my keychain, I'd no longer be able to fit my keys where I need them to fit. Again, I ask the question, why not have four TB-3 ports AND USB-A, HDMI, and SD-card slot? People who so easily dismiss these as "not necessary" because you can "just replace all your cables" obviously don't ever have to collaborate or work with anyone else, where you don't have control over what cables are available or what kind of USB stick someone else has. It's clear that Apple left out all other ports for two reasons:

1. To increase margins
    2. To try to force a migration away from "legacy" ports.
    Wrong. It’s about limited space for ports and controllers. That’s why the 2019 iMac has all those legacy ports still. If it were your absurd claims they would do it across the board. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 63 of 104
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,465member
    danvm said:
    If there is no reason to anyone need USB-A, why the iMac, Mac Mini and the Mac Pro still offer it?  Why iPhone and iPad still include a USB-A cable?  Again, there is a huge market of USB-A devices, and those customer would benefit of having a Macbook with USB-A.  
    Probably to get people to shut up about it and stop emailing them. But seriously, partially because their keyboards, mice, and trackpads still ship with USB-A to Lightning cables, and because there's ample room. All of that I expect will change, eventually, as the transition advances. We were, however, talking about laptops.

Yes, there are cases where people complain with no reason, but at the same time, there are cases where a USB-A port in a Macbook Pro would be helpful. 
    Name one. If you say thumb drives, I'm going to laugh at you. Someone literally brought up printers of all things in one thread, in complete seriousness. Really though, I'm not saying there's no possible use for them, I'm saying they're easily avoided in many cases and the few situations where you can't, just have a keychain adapter available. It would be "helpful" if my MBP had miniDP ports, but I'm not wishing those on every user when I can (and did) easily solve the problem myself. I'd rather actively work away from old, slow, legacy connectors even if it causes the occasional stumble, if it helps move us forward to any extent at all.

Probably to get people to shut up about it and stop emailing them. But seriously, partially because their keyboards, mice, and trackpads still ship with USB-A to Lightning cables, and because there's ample room. All of that I expect will change, eventually, as the transition advances. We were, however, talking about laptops.
    That transition you mentioned with Apple desktops didn't happen with notebook users.  Don't you think that notebook users would benefit of having a smooth transition to modern USB-C devices, as you can do with desktop devices?  Something as simple as a single USB-A port would have made a huge difference for a lot users.  
    Name one. If you say thumb drives, I'm going to laugh at you. Someone literally brought up printers of all things in one thread, in complete seriousness. Really though, I'm not saying there's no possible use for them, I'm saying they're easily avoided in many cases and the few situations where you can't, just have a keychain adapter available. It would be "helpful" if my MBP had miniDP ports, but I'm not wishing those on every user when I can (and did) easily solve the problem myself. I'd rather actively work away from old, slow, legacy connectors even if it causes the occasional stumble, if it helps move us forward to any extent at all.
    As you said, a dongle or adapter would solve many of the issues.  But if Apple had included at least one USB-A port, it would have made a lot customers happy.   And considering other devices had it, I see no reason for Apple doing the same.  
    macike
  • Reply 64 of 104
    mr. h said:
    Keychain adaptors are small but they still bulk up your keychain. If I had an HMDI adaptor and USB-C to USB-A adaptor on my keychain, I'd no longer be able to fit my keys where I need them to fit. Again, I ask the question, why not have four TB-3 ports AND USB-A, HDMI, and SD-card slot? People who so easily dismiss these as "not necessary" because you can "just replace all your cables" obviously don't ever have to collaborate or work with anyone else, where you don't have control over what cables are available or what kind of USB stick someone else has. It's clear that Apple left out all other ports for two reasons:

1. To increase margins
    Wrong. It’s about limited space for ports and controllers. That’s why the 2019 iMac has all those legacy ports still. If it were your absurd claims they would do it across the board. 
    The Thinkpad X1 Carbon and P1 have USB-C, USB-A and HDMI ports, and are very similar in dimensions compared the the MacBook Pro.  I don't think that limited space is a reason.   
    gatorguymacike
  • Reply 65 of 104
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    aknabi said:
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:
    I want one USB-A port instead of the fourth TB port.

i suspect that is unlikely..
    Yeah, replacing modern ports with old, slow ports are what makes a real Pro computer. 
    Do you think that the latest Mac Pro is not "real Pro computer" because it has USB-A ports?
    No. What kind of question is that? You're talking about a basic I/O PCIe board which is an option to buy (as far as we know) on a giant machine where you're not removing built-in 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 port and replacing it with a shitty 5Gbps USB-A port, which are two completely different things.
    Devices as the Lenovo P1 have two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI and even a SD card reader in a chassis similar and lighter to the Macbook Pro 15".  IMO, there was no need to remove USB-A in the latest Macbook to make it a "real Pro computer". 

Well Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit too so there you go! And are not going to convince me otherwise on that. I don't know why people want to compare such a laptop to a MacBook Pro.

You can agree or disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB-A ports (or any other port) from their notebook lineup but you can all but guarantee it ain't coming back. Honestly, the MacBook Pro is the most versatile laptop Apple has ever produced. You don't need an array of legacy ports to make it a "Pro" computer. The USB-C ports can be adapted to just about anything you could possibly ever want while also charging from any port, keeping the footprint of the device down, making it as Apple intended with its thinness, etc. 
    Well if you look at the ThinkPad Carbon X1
    UGH! My eyes! That thing is even uglier than a Dell!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 104
    mr. h said:

1. To increase margins
    I don't buy that for a second. Apple could get 4 TB3 ports + the other ports in there if they wanted to.
    macike
  • Reply 67 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    entropys said:
    It is the company that Steve built.
    Any your point is what? It's not Steve's company anymore so who cares what Steve would think or do. It's so pointless and stupid to sit here and comment on what Steve would think or do. For all we know, he might even be very happy with how things are going...who knows! The sun may not shine tomorrow either...
    watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 68 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member

aknabi said:
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Yeah, replacing modern ports with old, slow ports are what makes a real Pro computer. 
    Do you think that the latest Mac Pro is not "real Pro computer" because it has USB-A ports?
    No. What kind of question is that? You're talking about a basic I/O PCIe board which is an option to buy (as far as we know) on a giant machine where you're not removing built-in 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 port and replacing it with a shitty 5Gbps USB-A port, which are two completely different things.
    Devices as the Lenovo P1 have two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI and even a SD card reader in a chassis similar and lighter to the Macbook Pro 15".  IMO, there was no need to remove USB-A in the latest Macbook to make it a "real Pro computer". 

Well Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit too so there you go! And are not going to convince me otherwise on that. I don't know why people want to compare such a laptop to a MacBook Pro.

You can agree or disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB-A ports (or any other port) from their notebook lineup but you can all but guarantee it ain't coming back. Honestly, the MacBook Pro is the most versatile laptop Apple has ever produced. You don't need an array of legacy ports to make it a "Pro" computer. The USB-C ports can be adapted to just about anything you could possibly ever want while also charging from any port, keeping the footprint of the device down, making it as Apple intended with its thinness, etc. 
    Well if you look at the ThinkPad Carbon X1 with legacy ports, 64GB of RAM, great keyboard and build (it's a ThinkPad) and the form factor of a MBP 15 the statement is current... that you can't/refuse to accept facts or logic demonstrates religious blindness as opposed to a rational, fact based argument.

Oh, and I don't know how many times I've been embarrassed by connecting my MPB with the 3 different USB-C->HDMI dongles (including Apples) and not being able to connect to a client HDMI monitor... only to USB stick it to someone to plug in their "shit" Lenovo/Dell/HP in order to show it.
    Well that's your own fault...there are alternatives. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 104
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    danvm said:
    That transition you mentioned with Apple desktops didn't happen with notebook users.  Don't you think that notebook users would benefit of having a smooth transition to modern USB-C devices, as you can do with desktop devices?  Something as simple as a single USB-A port would have made a huge difference for a lot users.  
    [...]  
    As you said, a dongle or adapter would solve many of the issues.  But if Apple had included at least one USB-A port, it would have made a lot customers happy.   And considering other devices had it, I see no reason for Apple doing the same.  
    Like I said already, name one reason it would make a "huge difference for a lot of users". I don't believe you. There's literally no good reason to use USB-A on a regular basis anymore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    macxpress said:

aknabi said:
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Well if you look at the ThinkPad Carbon X1 with legacy ports, 64GB of RAM, great keyboard and build (it's a ThinkPad) and the form factor of a MBP 15 the statement is current... that you can't/refuse to accept facts or logic demonstrates religious blindness as opposed to a rational, fact based argument.

Oh, and I don't know how many times I've been embarrassed by connecting my MPB with the 3 different USB-C->HDMI dongles (including Apples) and not being able to connect to a client HDMI monitor... only to USB stick it to someone to plug in their "shit" Lenovo/Dell/HP in order to show it.
    People talk about USB-C on this forum like they're people dealing with snacks in informercials.

edited July 2019 JinTechwatto_cobrafastasleepmacxpress
  • Reply 71 of 104
    danvm said:
    [...]  
    Like I said already, name one reason it would make a "huge difference for a lot of users". I don't believe you. There's literally no good reason to use USB-A on a regular basis anymore.
    You already gave a reason, when you mentioned that Apple desktops allow a transition from USB-A to USB-C. IMO, that's an excellent reason.  

Now, can you give a reason on why Apple should not include a USB-A port, considering devices with similar size and weight have it?
    macike
  • Reply 72 of 104
    macxpress said:

aknabi said:
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Apologism at its finest. Can Apple really do no wrong in your eyes? He says he has three different USB-C to HDMI converters, including Apple's own, and none of them work. And that's somehow his fault? No - the blame in this situation is clearly on Apple.
    aknabigatorguymacike
  • Reply 73 of 104
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    MisterKit said:
    Hopefully the 17” bemoaners will just shut up and buy this.

And you complain about them. So you are not better than they are. Stop this nonsence. 
    macike
  • Reply 74 of 104
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

No need to replace any of the TB3 ports. There's plenty of room in that chassis for the TB3 ports and a USBA port. And an HDMI. And an SD card slot.

What I don't get about apologists for the MacBook Pro's stupid port offering is: how is adding more ports a bad thing? Would anyone possibly be actively put off buying a MacBook Pro if it had four TB3 + USBA + HDMI + SD Card?
    It is a bad thing because it would make it thicker. Have you seen the insides of MBP? Is there really a place to put all those old ports into a modern machine?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 104
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    mr. h said:
    macxpress said:

aknabi said:
    macxpress said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

Apologism at its finest. Can Apple really do no wrong in your eyes? He says he has three different USB-C to HDMI converters, including Apple's own, and none of them work. And that's somehow his fault? No - the blame in this situation is clearly on Apple.
    Indeed... Apple MacBook, Apple Dongle, doesn't work... it's my fault... okay try the Anker USB-C dongle, doesn't work... it's my fault... try the Hyper dongle, doesn't work... my fault. Even both my OWC $300 usb-c and thunderbolt 3 docks (which i don't bring to clients) go wonky... my fault... and if I bought every single dongle/dock made and it still didn't work... then can I blame Apple?

Proof that religious zealotry makes one lose any logic or sense. I'm sure Tim Cook could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and he'd still be a perfect CEO that can do no wrong to many Apple fanboys.
    edited July 2019 macike
  • Reply 76 of 104
    firelockfirelock Posts: 241member
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

No need to replace any of the TB3 ports. There's plenty of room in that chassis for the TB3 ports and a USBA port. And an HDMI. And an SD card slot.

What I don't get about apologists for the MacBook Pro's stupid port offering is: how is adding more ports a bad thing? Would anyone possibly be actively put off buying a MacBook Pro if it had four TB3 + USBA + HDMI + SD Card?
    I was in a meeting yesterday with my MacBook Pro and someone asked if I could project a PowerPoint that had just been emailed to the group. Now when I know that I am giving a presentation I always make sure to lug along Apple’s humongous USB-C to HDMI adapter. But this was impromptu and so the answer was, no, my ridiculously expensive “pro” laptop could not connect to the industry standard HDMI cable on the table. And before someone says we should have an Apple TV or some USB-C adapter built-into the setup, keep in mind that this is a big corporation with dozens of conference rooms and an IT department that acts like it is the early 2000’s. I can barely get my Macs on the network.
    Guess you won't make that mistake again.

LOL, the hyperbole — "lug" "humongous" — it's like what, a couple grams? You know there are much smaller ones, right? Throw this on your keychain and never get caught off guard again. It's $12 and tiny:

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Keychain-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Pixelbook/dp/B075FKL7MC/

You guys sure aren't very good at preparing for your jobs.

Not sure why you think it is necessary to throw shade at another poster. But you can at least try to get the point of the post which is that I shouldn't have to carry around a bunch of adapters on what is ostensibly a pro laptop. Long time Mac users will remember there was a time when the pro moniker meant it came with all of the additional ports that pro users need. And if you are just going to be a jerk please don't respond. Thank you.
    macike
  • Reply 77 of 104
    firelock said:
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

I was in a meeting yesterday with my MacBook Pro and someone asked if I could project a PowerPoint that had just been emailed to the group. Now when I know that I am giving a presentation I always make sure to lug along Apple’s humongous USB-C to HDMI adapter. But this was impromptu and so the answer was, no, my ridiculously expensive “pro” laptop could not connect to the industry standard HDMI cable on the table. And before someone says we should have an Apple TV or some USB-C adapter built-into the setup, keep in mind that this is a big corporation with dozens of conference rooms and an IT department that acts like it is the early 2000’s. I can barely get my Macs on the network.

LOL, the hyperbole — "lug" "humongous" — it's like what, a couple grams? You know there are much smaller ones, right? Throw this on your keychain and never get caught off guard again. It's $12 and tiny:

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Keychain-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Pixelbook/dp/B075FKL7MC/

Not sure why you think it is necessary to throw shade at another poster. But you can at least try to get the point of the post which is that I shouldn't have to carry around a bunch of adapters on what is ostensibly a pro laptop. Long time Mac users will remember there was a time when the pro moniker meant it came with all of the additional ports that pro users need. And if you are just going to be a jerk please don't respond. Thank you.
    You're correct, which is why USB-C is a welcome change from the USB-IF.

edited July 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 78 of 104
    Soli said:
    firelock said:
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

You're correct, which is why USB-C is a welcome change fro, the USB-IF.

A surprisingly disingenuous post from someone such as yourself. Most of those are device-end ports, rather than host-end. I am absolutely 100% for device manufacturers to move to a USB-C connector; let's do away with all these different device-end port shapes! But for the host end, there's just two possibilities: USB-C and USB-A, and I think Apple should have both in all their machines.
    gatorguymacike
  • Reply 79 of 104
    mr. h said:
    Soli said:
    firelock said:
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

A surprisingly disingenuous post from someone such as yourself. Most of those are device-end ports, rather than host-end. I am absolutely 100% for device manufacturers to move to a USB-C connector; let's do away with all these different device-end port shapes! But for the host end, there's just two possibilities: USB-C and USB-A, and I think Apple should have both in all their machines.
    And those device-end ports are a non-issue with USB-C for multiple reasons. In the interim you can have cables with different USB ends just like before USB-C was introduced, and as we move further ahead we'll have USB-C on both ends with interchangeable cables (and ports) for an ever growing number of devices.

I love being able to plug in my MBP from either side as my location dictates. I love that my MBP USB-C cable detaches from the PSU. I love being able to bring one cable that will work for an iPad, a Nintendo Switch, and hopefully an iPhone.

USB-C is moving faster than USB-A moved because we have countless Android-based devices adopting USB-C. That's a worldwide momentum for the port interface that we never saw with USB-A after Apple adopted it. We're probably getting close to the end of CE developed when some older USB port interface type was the de facto standard. Even now you can by an automobiles that support USB-C. The only thing I haven't yet seen is USB-C in an automobile that will allow for a MBP (either 13" or 15") to be powered by the USB-C port.

We can argue all day as to when was the best time for Apple to have made the switch to a new port interface standard or when they should go all in, but that's old news that happened years ago. They felt it was the right time and they did it. We can choose to keep an old Mac notebook or move to a different vendor, but it's done. What I find disingenuous are people thinking that USB-C is a roadblock when it does nothing but allow for unprecedented power, speed, and protocols over a single interface.

PS: If I have any complaint about the MBP since the move to USB-C it's the keyboard. While I can still function and have no desire to move back to my old MBP whenever I do jump on it it feels sooooo good. It's like putting on new socks to type on. I've even tried to figure out if I could get the old MBP keyboard to work on my MBP. I certainly don't think I have the skillset for it based on my rough measurements of the keys and layout.
    edited July 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Soli said:
    mr. h said:
    Soli said:
    firelock said:
    firelock said:
    mr. h said:
    danvm said:
    entropys said:

And those device-end ports are a non-issue with USB-C for multiple reasons. In the interim you can have cables with different USB ends just like before USB-C was introduced, and as we move further ahead we'll have USB-C on both ends with interchangeable cables (and ports) for an ever growing number of devices.

I love being able to plug in my MBP from either side as my location dictates. I love that my MBP USB-C cable detaches from the PSU. I love being able to bring one cable that will work for an iPad, a Nintendo Switch, and hopefully an iPhone.

USB-C is moving faster than USB-A moved because we have countless Android-based devices adopting USB-C. That's a worldwide momentum for the port interface that we never saw with USB-A after Apple adopted it. We're probably getting close to the end of CE developed when some older USB port interface type was the de facto standard. Even now you can by an automobiles that support USB-C. The only thing I haven't yet seen is USB-C in an automobile that will allow for a MBP (either 13" or 15") to be powered by the USB-C port.

We can argue all day as to when was the best time for Apple to have made the switch to a new port interface standard or when they should go all in, but that's old news that happened years ago. They felt it was the right time and they did it. We can choose to keep an old Mac notebook or move to a different vendor, but it's done. What I find disingenuous are people thinking that USB-C is a roadblock when it does nothing but allow for unprecedented power, speed, and protocols over a single interface.
    You don't need to convince me that USB-C is a good idea - it obviously is. However, I do dispute that the transition away from USB-A as a host port is happening faster than the transition away from multiple legacy ports to USB 1 all those years ago. Yes, Android devices are adopting USB-C as a device port and that's great, but Android devices are not the only devices! There are so many rechargeable thingummybobs that ship with a recharge cable with a USB-A connector, and as previously mentioned, USB-A has become ubiquitous as a 5V DC supply standard connector in permanent installations such as mains power sockets and in cafes and airports etc., in places where the likelihood of them being replaced by USB-C anytime soon is vanishingly small. As such, countless device manufacturers will continue to ship things with recharge cables with USB-A plugs for years and years to come. And most people will continue to use memory sticks with USB-A plugs.

And, Apple has in fact not gone "all in" with USB-C; they still ship iPhones with USB-A to lightning cables; they still use lightning in iPads (non Pro) and iPhone and iPod Touch; they have USB-A ports on all their desktop machines. 

Trying to force a 100% migration away from USB-A host ports with their portable machines was a user-hostile move. Say what you like about the versatility of USB-C and the tiny-ness of adaptors, the fact remains that if someone hands you a thing with a USB-A connector, the easiest and most hassle-free way of connecting it to your machine is if your machine has a USB-A port built-in!
    gatorguymacike