Microsoft found a man named 'Mac Book' to tout Surface Laptop 2

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2019
Apple's MacBook Air is the target of Microsoft's latest ad, which cleverly enlists the help of a man named "Mac" Book to tout the new Surface Laptop 2.

Australian Mac' Book compares the MacBook Air to Surface Laptop 2 in latest Microsoft ad campaign
Australian Mac' Book compares the MacBook Air to Surface Laptop 2 in latest Microsoft ad campaign

Microsoft's ad spot for Surface features a local from Sydney, Australia, named Mackenzie Book -- "Mac" Book -- who compares the Surface to Apple's MacBook Air.

Beyond the usual spec comparison tropes, Microsoft's commercial stands out as a not-so-subtle jab at Apple's classic "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" spots. Instead of actors, however, Microsoft went to great lengths to find an actual human named Mac Book to denigrate Apple's hardware. The result is humorous, if only for its inane message.

The 30-second spot, titled "Meet Mackenzie "Mac" Book," reiterates many of the high-level comparisons between Apple's machines and those from Microsoft. True to previous ads, Microsoft again knocks the Mac for its lack of a touchscreen, and claims the MacBook Air is "slower" with a shorter battery life.

Check out the ad for yourself to see Microsoft's take on the "Mac vs PC" ad genre.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Well since they flashed Mac Book all over the commercial I see Apple got their money's worth. After that commercial I would go online and search Mac Book. Dumbest ad ever.
    andrewj5790chiaAppleExposedradarthekatcoolfactorcornchipracerhomie3muthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]cgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Cleverly? Up for debate.
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    That guy really doesn’t sound impressed. It’s like he’s being paid to promote a computer he really doesn’t believe in.

coolfactorcornchipmuthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]TAllen84jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Why are they still trying.... compare your malware machine to other MacBook knockoffs.

That guy really doesn’t sound impressed. It’s like he’s being paid to promote a computer he really doesn’t believe in.

Where did you get that idea?!?!
    /s

I'm sure he bought a Mac with his ad payment. Seen it happen before.

radarthekatcoolfactorfotoformatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I’m confident we’ll soon learn he used some of the money MSFT paid him to go buy a computer based on his namesake, even against the contract I’m sure MSFT made him sign to prevent him doing just that.  
    cornchip[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Burn.

thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member

I’m confident we’ll soon learn he used some of the money MSFT paid him to go buy a computer based on his namesake, even against the contract I’m sure MSFT made him sign to prevent him doing just that.  
    I bet a dollar that he owns iphone....cause there’s no more windows phone....hahahaha
    [Deleted User]AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Come on people, that ad was funny!  It looked like Mac really wanted to be somewhere else...like the beach.  But, you got to do what you got to do to get PAID.

It wasn’t as good as the Mac vs PC ads, but it was better than this Apple ad.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LJXcQhD0k

I think I saw that one during the Super Bowl.  What a waste of prime ad space...

Here’s a good one from Apple
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTXocc_mVL4
    edited July 2019 [Deleted User]GeorgeBMacwozwozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Lame

cornchipAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Yeah ‘Mac’ Book says ‘get a Surface’ if you pay me to say so. Ok get out my head loud MSFT voice over guy! Yay?!
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    We should talk to “Mac Book’s” mom and ask her what went wrong? I bet it was a glitch and  as she escaped from Microsoft prison, on her way to freedom Mac Book was born. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Cleverly? Up for debate.
    I was gonna say, cleverly? Or pathetically?
    andrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    According to Bloomberg, Apple’s marketing machine is putting the feelers out for someone with questionable acting skills to star in a new round of commercials. The only other prerequisites are that this person must be called ‘Buster Edward Surface’ and must prove that at some point in the last ten years his name has been abbreviated to ‘Bust Ed Surface’.

When asked to provide evidence of this, our man from Bloomberg pointed to a photocopier and shouted ‘Squirrel!’  Turns out there was no squirrel, and when we looked back, he’d gone. 

seanismorrisandrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cornchip said:
    Cleverly? Up for debate.
    I was gonna say, cleverly? Or pathetically?
    Yup. Marketing is hard. 
    andrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30

They cut out the part where he uses the money he got from the ad to buy a new MacBook Pro.

edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    That sounds as smart as the funeral Microsoft had for the iPhone.
    [Deleted User]macky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Well I guess it’s easier for Microsoft to find a guy called Mac’ Book and bribe him to promote the Surface than it is to actually design and build a product that can compete on specification with a MacBook... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    The funny thing is : Rosoft is a family name too.. Apple only has to find a guy named Mic..
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    The funny thing is : Rosoft is a family name too.. Apple only has to find a guy named Mic..
    Mike Rosoft!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    did anyone watch the Grant Amato trial?? the state of Florida seized his Surface Pro. they could not remove the disk drive from the unit to clone it. they ended up cloning the disk using something called paladin. this resulted in an encrypted file system which could not of been read. but since they had the original Surface, they were able to retrieve the decryption key by " using the command line " !!!! apparently Grant's surface did not have apple's Touch ID or T2 security chips. he was convicted yesterday of murdering his family over a web cam girl
    macky the mackywatto_cobra